Knoxville, TN
Morningside Park Share
Uploaded By: DavidVol Hole #4 (Taken 6/2013)

An amazing course, ruined by the terrible layout

1    10/30/2014   10/30/2014
Review By: numbernine
This review was updated on 11/2/2014
Pros: I am sure that I am going to get "this review isn't helpful" because people disagree with my take on this course. But was it helpful? Did I actually review the course? Yes.

Right off the bat, let me tell you that COULD be one of the best courses that I have ever played. Have as anyone ever dated a super crazy, super attractive person? Morningside is that person. Yes, it's great to look at and it's fun to touch...but it's going to snap for some reason that you can't explain, and someone is going to end with a knife in their face. So...let's bust out the details -

Baskets- Great catching baskets from Innova. No graffiti on any of the chastity belts, no missing chain and all of them caught like a young Carlton Fisk. Props. +1

Tee pads - Every hole had a tee pad that flaired out to give you plenty of room to throw off of. Everything was nice and level, in spite of the incredible elevation changes.

Shot types - Every shot type was represented out there. Long, sweeping anny shots. GIGANTIC down hill bomber throws. Huge uphill shots, both super short, as well as incredibly long. Truly, the variety on this course is astounding. The holes themselves were laid out to make maximum use of the elevation changes. Along those lines, NO BASKET sits on level ground, outside of one or two of them. Everything is a risky up shot and will destroy you if you miss the putt. This was one of my favorite parts of the course. Lots and lots and risk/reward.

Intangibles - The park itself, if you don't look outside of the confines of the course, is very pretty. It's set within a lot of mature trees. I also love that there are a couple of signature holes. 18 goes uphill about 200 feet, on what I think is close to a 60 degree angle. Unreal!

Cons: And this is where I have a feeling that some people are going to not like this review...Sorry guys.

Layout - This is the single WORST course design that I have ever played. It just is. OK, 1-2-3-4 makes sense. Got it. Then...where's five? Ah yes, cross the entire park and then throw down hill. Then you play 6 and walk WAY down the road, and cross a street.
From there, the rest of the course is a mess. fairways are criss crossing. you are throwing on top of other baskets. you are throwing over streets. I do not think that there is ONE hole on this course that doesn't throw over a walking path. Other holes throw across a busy pavilion area, an ultimate Frisbee field, and exercise equipment. Truly, I can't see going back here to play unless it as for a tournament and the rest of the park as shut down. Even then, you are crossing over other holes. Between the walking paths and other sports being played, it was a tough course to play with any sort of tempo.

Also, this course is in not a great neighborhood. There are apartments right on top of a couple of holes, and there are shady characters all over this course. PS, I LOVE hood golf...but this is not a disc friendly place. I would not be there after dark by myself.
Other Thoughts: If I could take this course and put it out in the middle of nowhere, it will literally be one of my favorite courses of all time. But everything counts in a review. And for me, the layout MURDERS this course's review. I hate it when I have to wait to throw on every hole. I hate it when holes are right on top of one another. I hate it when navigation doesn't make sense, and this course has all of those.

Personally, wanted to love this course. But at the end day, it's not a good playing experience. The holes are SO INTERESTING! But there are so many other things going on in the park, and there are so many other people in the way, and the layout is SO terribly bad...Sorry guys.

Satisfying

1    5/23/2014   5/23/2014
Review By: optimalben
Pros: Plenty of holes where you can let your drive rip. The hilly terrain makes for a nice workout. Intuitive layout and I really enjoyed myself. Would make a great everyday course.
Cons: All the yardage measures were exaggerated. Made for a challenging first round. The advertised views of the river were also exaggerated. Still pretty scenic though.
Other Thoughts: Rewards driving accuracy and caution in the putt/approach game. Most of the course is very uneven terrain and there are major risks of losing strokes when your disc rolls down a hill. I'm not that used to this kind of hazard and I could see it getting frustrating if you get victimized by too many bad rolls.

It is in a big city what do you expect.

1    2/14/2014   2/19/2014
Review By: Rudolph
Pros: It is an interesting course that will have you thinking and using different shots. I always enjoy a good risk vs reward balance and this course does that well by mixing in fast greens and challenging fairways.
Cons: It is a busy inner city park and has all the hang ups that come with that.

If very crowded could be hard to play.
Other Thoughts: Come earlier in the morning to avoid crowds.

It is great that the city has a nice course right in down town. I drove an hour to play it and enjoyed it.

a lot of bang for the buck

1    11/25/2013   11/26/2013
Review By: MtnMan1
Pros: -perfect tee pads, good baskets
-good signage
-really interesting mix of holes and shot types, particularly considering the course is on a city park
-excellent use of elevation and trees
-several very fast, challenging greens
-great warm up holes to start
-good mix of short and long
Cons: -condition of park in general. lots of trash, some of it pointing to illegal activity in the park. seems that this park doesn't get a lot of attention from the city.
-course throws over many other activity areas of the park
Other Thoughts: I really don't have much bad to say about the course itself. I found it to be really interesting and makes brilliant use of the available land. Great tees and baskets. Lots of fun/unique shots playing with the elevation in the park. Signage got us around the course even though there was no one else there and we had never played it before.

My "cons" are about the upkeep of the park itself. As others have said, it is in a rougher area right outside of downtown, and it seems maybe the park doesn't get the attention it deserves. Lots of trash, some of it sketchy. Ironically, the disc golf course is one of the nicest, most well kept things in the park (usually the other way around).

Some of the fairways go right over walking paths, but it was deserted when we played so this was not an issue for us.

I would highly reccomend playing this course. While the park leaves something to be desired, we never felt unsafe or unwelcome, and really enjoyed it.

My Home Away From Home

5+    6/5/2013   6/15/2013
Review By: windgodd
Pros: Newly redesigned with long concrete pads and a mix of shots. Plenty of distance with a mix of shorter holes as well. I love this course for variety, because I use quite a few shots on it.
Cons: Can get a little slick on the back 9 when it rains due to mud and standing water. Try not to play at dusk due to the neighborhood. When it starts getting dark, I'd hit the road to be safe.
Other Thoughts: May want to consider following a group the first time you play it.

Great course

1    6/8/2013   6/10/2013
Review By: blueblur
Pros: Lots of well designed holes. Very creative course design using excellent terrain features of the park. Some hole designs here that I have never seen at any other course. Challenging. Easy to get to from anywhere in Knoxville without a long drive.
Cons: Rougher area of town. No restrooms. No water hazards. Better next tee signage would help players new to the course.
Other Thoughts: Overall one of the best courses I have played. Park is a little rough, but course is well thought out, creative and challenging. Would play the hell out of this course if I lived in the area. A real treat.

Solid Course

5+    12/1/2012   12/3/2012
Review By: honda50r
Pros: -Excellent Variation, some very cool holes
-Varying Landscape
-Visitors to the Park know Disc Golf
-Always other golfers playing
-One of the oldest disc golf courses around.
Cons: -Always other golfers playing
-Some of the latter holes (16-18) are not very fun, kind of seems like they ran out of room.
-Hilly
-VERY easy to lose discs
-Not excellent a pretty course, somewhat dilapidated
Other Thoughts: Solid course that is just minutes from beautiful downtown Knoxville. Great participation on the course with weekly doubles tournaments.

Garbage

5+    9/26/2012   10/8/2012
Review By: Spinefarm
Pros: Tee pads are 300% better than before the redesign.

A few really fun holes.
Cons: Entire course is on an angle, every shot except for your drive is going to be thrown off balance on loose gravelgrass.

Very poor layout, hole 5 makes you drive over the sidewalk into the park and right next to pavilions that are usually infested with a birthday party and such. Multiple instances of backtracking in the line of fire from teepads.

The course is in the ghetto. Right next to questionable apartments, half mile down the road from knoxvilles ghetto. Super sketchy people roam the course, stand right in the fairways and throw trash everywhere.

Littered in beer bottles, cans, diapers and I don't recall how many condoms I have seen lying around.
Other Thoughts: I have not played the original, but the people I play with have a lot, they hate the new design other than the teepads. Don't try to play this game at dusk for your own safety. Just dont play this course, a few nice holes are overshadowed by terrible layout, jungle gyms in the fairways and the worst quality of grass I have ever seen. I don't know what course the rest of the reviewers played, but it was not morningside in Knoxville, TN. Stick to Admiral and Victor Ashe.

mixed feelings??

1    8/5/2012   8/6/2012
Review By: gburggolfer
Pros: The new tee pads are awesome. Thought that hole 8-10 wer great holes. I also really liked the tee shots on holes 2 and 3.
Cons: I guess the thing I liked least was that there are too many roll away possibilities. Also the footing was treacherous in many of the steep areas. It seems as though it was not the best use of the property.
Other Thoughts: played ok though and had a good time but definitely not my favorite.

Big Time Revamp!!

5+    7/10/2012   7/20/2012
Review By: maynes35
Pros: The course is a huge improvement over the old course. Great baskets and great long concrete tee pads throughout the course. Nice mix of shots with several tough approaches. There are some nice par 4's where you can birdie if you can make to nice shots. Nice use of elevation and hillside baskets.
Cons: Pretty sketchy area. I wouldn't advise playing alone or toward dark. I've heard stories about stolen discs and weird/scary encounters but haven't personally had anything happen.
The course doubles back on itself on the back 9 and you end up walking back down a fairway of a blind tee shot hole, not the best planning there.
Other Thoughts: Probably the best course in Knoxville and anywhere inside of 40 minutes. Great course. Tough and fun. I had trouble giving it a 4.0 solely because the surrounding area and questionable people strolling around. As far as the disc golf goes it's a 4.0 for sure.