Seaside, CA
CSUMB Cypress Course Share
Uploaded By: Hwy1DG Hole #7 (Taken 2/2009)
3 / --   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Sandy Windy Fun

1    6/12/2011   8/23/2011
Review By: Magiken
Pros:
Baskets are in pretty good shape
Interesting terrain and scenery
A few fun/memorable throws
Plenty of room to warm-up/practice
Friendly folks
Cons:
Wind can be fun (not a true Con)
No restrooms/water that I could find
Tees are inconsistent
Signage needs attention in a few spots
Not easily navigable without a map
Tips
Do take one of the fine Otter maps located here: http://www.dgcoursereview.com.../7dba6aad.pdf
Take water
I don't know what to tell you about parking. I just found a meter and fed it.

Random Thoughts:
This course is a bit tough to review at the moment because when I was there, they were prepping it for the upcoming tournament so you had holes in fantastic condition with brand new big pads and then some that needed serious attention. But with that said, we had a good time out there. The area with all the abandoned buildings was an interesting place to play and had one memorable throw where you had to decide how close to those buildings you really wanted to get (#5 I think) and with the fences up it made things even more interesting. There are also a few memorable dive bomber shots on the back nine. Overall there are usually several routes to the basket with almost always a strategic tree in play, and the elevation changes also play a big factor on a number of holes.

Bottom Line:
I'll probably have to revisit this review when I return and the modifications are complete, but generally I enjoyed my time here and the three beginners I brought had a good time too. I would call this an intermediate style course due to the length, but I found it very fair to make par on. Do check it out.

Ghost Town

1    6/28/2009   7/3/2009
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: The course seems to be right near the hub of campus though obviously in a run down area. There were two tees for most holes one that was obviously for the casual player and one that was obviously for the better players out there. There was a good deal of challenge but the course was very fair in that it made you work for everything you got and punished you when you made mistakes. There were some good challenges as far as distance was concerned and some really fun down hill holes near the end.
Cons: There was lots of broken glass and the grounds were not very well kept up. The course is split in two sections with a good walk between them. There is not a good place to park close to this course for free though during the summer the campus is pretty much dead. The tee pads were dirt or sidewalk and hard to find sometimes. The tee signs were only somewhat helpful, usually as a marker as to where you might find the next tee.
Other Thoughts: I was pleseantly surprised by this course as I played it as part of my recent DG road trip. I actually saw the course getting a good amount of use but it felt a little scarry to be playing on a campus that was dead during the summer. The buildings that were close by look like they have been abandonded as there were several broken windows and the like. This is not a course that I would go out of my way to play again but defiantely my favorite of the two at CSUMB. I parked near the other course and just walked to this course and it was not too terrible. I did start at hole 11 as that is the closest hole to where I parked and then finished with hole 10. A map will defiantely be a handy thing to have.

1    10/10/2008   10/10/2008
Review By: tcecil
Pros: I played this in the evening and next to the front nine are a bunch of old dorm buildings with broken windows and some boards over the doors. When the wind blows disturbing sounds come from the inside which makes it seem like a Stephen King story.

If you follow the dotted line on the tee box diagrams the course will be a lot tougher.
Cons: Many holes about 250 ft, scenery is fixed (abandoned military base).