Seaside, CA
CSUMB Oaks Course Share
Uploaded By: Hwy1DG Hole #18 (Taken 2/2009)
3 / 350ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

What In The

1    6/28/2009   7/3/2009
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: This course is a big challenge and was made for the seasoned disc golfer. There were a number of very memorable holes. The course made good use of the terrain that it was on. There were just a few other people at this course and the course is built on land that I do not think will ever be used for any other purpose.
Cons: This course punished everything, even a good shot. Most holes were super long and with the added trouble of strong winds there was little to no feeling good, except for the one putt that I made. Trying to navigate this course with a map was hard enough as several tee signs were missing and pin placements were somewhere completely different. Tee pads were dirt with numbers painted on cement stones. This course will just frustrate you at every turn. The course appears to play right through a high ropes course that might still get some use.
Other Thoughts: This was probably my least favorite course on my recent disc golf trip. I am sure a good portion of this was the wind factor that made throwing anything with control difficult. The most frustrating part was just trying to navigate this course. I threw shots that I thought were great only to find out that I still had another 300 feet to a basket that appeared a lot close on their map, specifically hole 4 really frustrated me with that. Still I can see how this course offers a good challenge and if a few holes were changed slightly, this course would be much better.

Needs work!

1    1/19/2009   1/22/2009
Review By: DuBose
Pros: Large open course with many elevation changes. Ocean view from some of the elevated pads. Elevation changes along with the wind variable makes for some challenging play. No crowds and no waiting! I was there mid-morning and I only saw 3 other people playing.
Cons: The worse tee pads that I have ever seen. I've played on dirt pads before but these were far from smooth and even had some soft sand. No signs giving direction or distance. I printed the map from the Links/ files but it still took me a lot of extra time finding the pads and the baskets. It seemed like the next pad could have been a little closer from the previous basket or more obvious which way to go. Flat out poor layout.
Other Thoughts: This course has some potential. It definitely has some unique features. Holes #7 through #9 play around a couple of really old ball fields reminding me of a deserted town in some old movie. The piano with a tree growing through it back near hole #6 is different. It just seems like with the land that they had to work with it could have been laid out much more user friendly. Being from northern CA I'm used to every hole having a sign with a map of the hole showing all of the multiple pin placements, a bench to place your bag or your butt, a trash can and a nice concrete tee pad. But then again, you need the bench because some of the course gets pretty busy and you need to plant your butt and wait. The lack of crowds at both of the courses I played in Monterey was VERY nice. If I had time to play more than 1 game next time I'm in town, I will give this course another chance. DON'T FORGET THE MAP and some water!

2-4    11/20/2008   1/20/2009
Review By: BENFTS
Pros: great for wind and long drives. very nice surroundings, plants, wildlife, etc. some very nice holes that are as fun as they are challenging.
Cons: no tee pads, the natural pads that are used are mostly uneven and some angle up and down hill significantly. no signage at all and the course map is almost unusable, and i used a map all the time in the marines.
Other Thoughts: there were some great holes here, i don't want my review to show only the courses shortcomings but i feel that if this course is ever finished, tee pads and signs it would be a great course. with a guide this course is much more fun, you spend way less time looking and not finding.