Seaside, CA
CSUMB Oaks Course Share
Uploaded By: Hwy1DG Hole #7 (Taken 2/2009)
3 / 303ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

1 2 Next >
 What In The

1    6/28/2009   7/3/2009
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: This course is a big challenge and was made for the seasoned disc golfer. There were a number of very memorable holes. The course made good use of the terrain that it was on. There were just a few other people at this course and the course is built on land that I do not think will ever be used for any other purpose.
Cons: This course punished everything, even a good shot. Most holes were super long and with the added trouble of strong winds there was little to no feeling good, except for the one putt that I made. Trying to navigate this course with a map was hard enough as several tee signs were missing and pin placements were somewhere completely different. Tee pads were dirt with numbers painted on cement stones. This course will just frustrate you at every turn. The course appears to play right through a high ropes course that might still get some use.
Other Thoughts: This was probably my least favorite course on my recent disc golf trip. I am sure a good portion of this was the wind factor that made throwing anything with control difficult. The most frustrating part was just trying to navigate this course. I threw shots that I thought were great only to find out that I still had another 300 feet to a basket that appeared a lot close on their map, specifically hole 4 really frustrated me with that. Still I can see how this course offers a good challenge and if a few holes were changed slightly, this course would be much better.

2-4    2/28/2008   2/28/2009
Review By: Bangchains
Pros: Course has characteristics that make it one of the more unique courses I've played. Course feels like a city that was abandoned, from the old unused baseball fields and the old warehouse buildings to the strange vegetation, everything feels 'different' from other courses. It is very challenging and the layout is well thought out, has very good flow.
Cons: Navigating the course is very difficult without a guide. Can be windy.
Other Thoughts: Hole #6 has one of the strangest fairways I've seen.

Needs work!

1    1/19/2009   1/22/2009
Review By: DuBose
Pros: Large open course with many elevation changes. Ocean view from some of the elevated pads. Elevation changes along with the wind variable makes for some challenging play. No crowds and no waiting! I was there mid-morning and I only saw 3 other people playing.
Cons: The worse tee pads that I have ever seen. I've played on dirt pads before but these were far from smooth and even had some soft sand. No signs giving direction or distance. I printed the map from the Links/ files but it still took me a lot of extra time finding the pads and the baskets. It seemed like the next pad could have been a little closer from the previous basket or more obvious which way to go. Flat out poor layout.
Other Thoughts: This course has some potential. It definitely has some unique features. Holes #7 through #9 play around a couple of really old ball fields reminding me of a deserted town in some old movie. The piano with a tree growing through it back near hole #6 is different. It just seems like with the land that they had to work with it could have been laid out much more user friendly. Being from northern CA I'm used to every hole having a sign with a map of the hole showing all of the multiple pin placements, a bench to place your bag or your butt, a trash can and a nice concrete tee pad. But then again, you need the bench because some of the course gets pretty busy and you need to plant your butt and wait. The lack of crowds at both of the courses I played in Monterey was VERY nice. If I had time to play more than 1 game next time I'm in town, I will give this course another chance. DON'T FORGET THE MAP and some water!

2-4    11/20/2008   1/20/2009
Review By: BENFTS
Pros: great for wind and long drives. very nice surroundings, plants, wildlife, etc. some very nice holes that are as fun as they are challenging.
Cons: no tee pads, the natural pads that are used are mostly uneven and some angle up and down hill significantly. no signage at all and the course map is almost unusable, and i used a map all the time in the marines.
Other Thoughts: there were some great holes here, i don't want my review to show only the courses shortcomings but i feel that if this course is ever finished, tee pads and signs it would be a great course. with a guide this course is much more fun, you spend way less time looking and not finding.

Overgrown, and I like it that way!

1    8/6/2008   1/6/2009
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: The vegetation is the type that I think you will only see near the ocean shore. Be prepared for a challenge. The entire course is long. For me, a huge fan of courses in natural settings, this course is paradise, it is completely overrun with native trees and relatively large shrubs. At CSUMB Oaks you will encounter abundant sand, wild overgrowing trees and bushes of several varieties, even the occasional critter. The Oaks course has carved out trails that allow a golfer the opportunity to see some of the wild countryside that a park course just cant provide. As a disc golfer from the Rockies, at times I felt like I was on the moon because the ground, the vegetation, everything, was so unique, I loved it!

There are many memorable holes on this course with the scenery changing by the hole. Numbers 3, 5, and 10 all make you attempt up-shots. Number six has you maneuver under an amazing tunnel of tight trees. Some holes are open, others downhill bombs, some with large bushes, and almost of them all with the sea wind to contend with. The practice basket is even in a unique spot, in some bushes near the parking lot. Hands down, the best thing about this course is the setting. Although I have favorable opinions about the Cypress course, Ryan Ranch and Don Dahvee, if I was told I could only play one course in the Monterey Bay area it would be this one.
Cons: There are no signs, and therefore you will get lost at times and have to eyeball distances. At times the walks to the next tee can be very confusing. Another player kept having to ask to see our map, he gave up in frustration before we could invite him along with us. Bring a map. 11-12 was very hard to find especially since 11 was in the b position which is even more far from 12's tee box. At the #14 tee area someone wrote on the chairs expressing frustration with the lack of signs and blind shots, I got a good agreeable laugh out of that. The tee boxes are just rugs rolled out over the sand. Some of the abandoned buildings and baseball field make the course feel equally forgotten. On the day I got to play this course the wind never let up to give us a break, scores were very high. Beware, the trees will eat a disc whole at close range and high speeds and mock you with its grasp.
Other Thoughts: Take water and map. For all of its frustration, there are some very memorable shots on this course. If you are like me and you can take a challenging course in stride and LOVE being in a natural setting you will most likely have a great time here. When I reflect on this course, I think of it as a course with five or six signature holes, all of which rank pretty high for me personally, that get overshadowed in my memory by its lack of signs. This might be the best college campus course I've played.

Just in case you need reminded again, take a map.

play with some locals

1    10/10/2008   10/11/2008
Review By: tcecil
Pros: Decently long on many holes with some nice uphill.downhill shots. Both woods and open areas, good variety. Can be windy which makes it interesting. Not very crowded.
Cons: blind tees, so hard to play for the first time and you have a lost disc hazard.
Other Thoughts: I played this course with a couple locals who were nice enough to show me the holes and find about 10 would-be-lost discs for me. One guy was an almost-pro who shot about 4 under and said it was a decent round for him.

Print a map

1    8/22/2008   8/24/2008
Review By: acerunlou
Pros: multiple tees and pins. tee signs, but some were hard to read. challenging. some elevation changes.
Cons: some tees hard to find. poison oak in spots. tees are sandy and some were uneven. most holes were blind from blue tees.

1 2 Next >