Mackinaw City, MI
Turbine Pines Share
Uploaded By: kw83028 Hole #13 (Taken 8/2012)

Dust Bowl Times

1    5/20/2014   5/20/2014
Review By: apdrvya
Pros:
Aesthetic-- plays through a very narrow piece of land near the Mackinaw City Police firing range. Clever Pigs. Area seems to be DG exclusive for what it's worth.

Baskets-- look brand new. Orange bands help increase visibility.

Teesigns-- give a diagram of the hole and distnace along with the hole number
Cons:
Tees- really really bad. small dirt areas. Uneven, rutty, dangerous tees.

Overall Design-- again, really really bad. extremely narrow fairways with senseless twists and turns.

Routing and nav-- difficult to say the least. the flow here sucks bad.

Minor issues-- There is a TON of poison ivy here. Even early in the year when I was there it was prevalent. The parking area was tiny and the walk to the first tee and the huge walk back to the car were a bit annoying.

I really hope this place improves but with crappy reviews, it's not likely to drag people from outside the area.

What went wrong here?

1    8/10/2013   8/10/2013
Review By: nickrockey
Pros: +Really easy to find
+Nice baskets
+Mostly short holes
Cons: -Poison Ivy Everywhere, infact the sign that
warns you is sitting in it!
-Is there a gun range down road? Lots and lots and lots of shots really close, did not feel to safe having my kids there
-Super tight lanes, less than 6' wide
-Hard for the sake of being hard
-Zero reward for risk
-Sign were not really facing the direction of
you throw, and no real tee pads made it hard to figure out where to even throw
-Poorly marked
-I could go on but this the bulk of it..bummer
Other Thoughts: ^You need to park at the yellow sign, then walk down the dirt road about 200 feet for the first tee
^The potential is there, need a couple
work bees with the club, relocate some of
stupid basket placements.
^I say don't bother, keep driving north a few
miles past the bridge and play Silver
Mountain!

New Course, But....

1    8/2/2012   8/6/2012
Review By: kw83028
Pros: - Tee Signs
- New Baskets
- Large scorecards/maps at hole 1
- Scenery
- Signage telling where to park
Cons: -Tee Pads are just extremely tiny, uneven ground marked by posts.
-Extremely narrow fairways/lanes, some only a few feet wide
-Hard for the sake of being hard
-Extremely long walk back to the car
-No Flow
-No rhyme or reason to any hole
-For an extremely short course, par feels like a major accomplishment
-Very few chances for a deuce, and way less chances for an ace
-Pretty much the whole experience was horrible
Other Thoughts: I ended up playing this entire course with my Buzzz and Rhyno, until I came to 18 which was a wide open 600+ footer.

I was excited to play a new course while camping in Mackinaw. Wow, was this course a horrible disappointment. I don't even know where to begin. I truly believe that there is no possible way to make this course good, short of removing a couple hundred trees and moving a lot of baskets.

Pin positions on the majority of the holes are just plain ridiculous. Why would you have a basket tucked backwards into the trees? This course has some. Throw down a narrow gap about 200, then turn 150 degrees to your left... yes 150 degrees, almost backwards, then throw pretty much backwards down a tiny lane to a basket. If you could throw directly at the basket, it would be under 100ft I think. Other pin positions include tucking 20 feet into trees, just off of a narrow straight shot, no cutting corners on anything, so if you don't land within 1 foot of the corner, you're screwed.

Another couple holes that stand out in my mind have you throwing about 30 feet, straight through 4 foot gaps, then turning almost 90 degrees and going 150-200 feet more to the basket through ridiculous gaps. No cutting corners, so you have to hit a 4 foot gap with your mini I guess and have it land 30 feet in front of you, then turn and throw again. If you don't throw it 30 feet, you're screwed since there are no cutting corners. If other lanes were put in to this course, they would pretty much eliminate the whole design (or lack thereof) of the course.

I really could go on and on about whats bad unfortunately. I truly would not recommend anyone play this course ever, unless it is redesigned. It really does look like the designer has never played DG in their life. It is very unfortunate because the location is nice.

Oh yea, and to top it all off, it's a half mile walk back to the car when you're done.

Tubine Potential

1    7/23/2012   7/23/2012
Review By: DUrich
Pros: Really technical, almost overkill technical. Its still a work in progress that with a bit of work has great potential.Really made me rethink where my game is at, i.e. I can always improve on course management and throwing straighter lines.
Cons: Due to the technical nature and course infancy there is a lot of work involved. Establishing more defined tee pads, better course directional signage. I did appriciate the Poison Ivy warnings. There is a bit of a walk at the end of your round.
Other Thoughts: This is all about a work day.....having your club or organization create fairways and define alternate shot options. There are several tee shots where a birdie is impossible, but on those holes you are stoked to get a par. I say bring in a donation box and pitch it as a "Flyer" course....I loved the windmill tubine theme intertwined with DG.

Almost Complete

1    6/16/2012   6/16/2012
Review By: Todd Wiley
Pros: I'd like to start off by saying that the pros to this course are very little at the moment. It seems to still be a "work in progress".

It has baskets and teeing areas.
Cons: Unfortunately, at the moment, this list is longer.

The beginning portion of the course is very close to a sewage plant... you sure can smell it.

There are no teesigns or directional signs on the course yet.

There are no clearly defined fairways and navigating is very difficult at this time.

The course is extremely overgrown with 18 inch and taller ferns, Finding discs is very difficult.
Other Thoughts: Until this course is brought under control and "finished", I recommend that you avoid wasting your time.

I will be periodically checking on this course and will update my review as conditions are improved. I wish I lived closer so I could spend time in maintaining this course and getting it playable.