Myrtle Beach, SC
Socastee Rec. Park Share
Uploaded By: Hindenburg Hole #10 (Taken 3/2012)
Hole #10 Mid-Fairway to Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4
A Hot Challenging Mess

1    6/26/2015   6/26/2015
Review By: RichinVB
Pros: trees, we like trees, you got lots of tree
Open long fairways, we like em, you got em
Dog- lefts and dog-rights plenty of both and not a lot of repetition
Lots of hole variety, baskets all in excellent shape, great basket placements, easy walking, and easy directions to next hole
Plenty of shade - your in the woods a lot but the back open up briefly before you head back in
June has been extremely hot this year so we were pouring by hole 3 but like I said plenty of shade and benches to rest on each hole
Cons: some very narrow fairways but this doesn't necessarily mean it is a con - it was for most of our group of 6 as half were first timers
Minor inconveniences = not all the course maps were posted at the start, no scorecard or map at the office, no water fountains or bathroom near the first hole or anywhere on the course -bring water or other beverages
Woods can be thick in places with lots of pine straw so check for buried discs
Other Thoughts: we were on vacation down from va beach and it was awesome to find an 18 hole challenging course close to our cottage

Bonus - found a lost disc and didn't lose one

If you are vacationing near and play take an opportunity to check it out

Beautiful Course

1    6/23/2015   6/23/2015
Review By: mazurka1
Pros: Excellent course in a park setting. Course does not interfere with other activities.

Every hole had a tee sign with a map of the hole and distance.

Most holes had multiple tee pads. The ones that didn't, really didn't need them.

The tee pads are concrete and huge!

Very nice, well kept blue baskets, that are always visable when you get within 100 feet.

Great mix of hole types and distances. There was one hole that was over 800 ft. By far the longest hole I have ever played. The first hole was aceable, which I love because I've played too many courses that have 500+ ft holes that kill you right out of the gate.
Cons: NOTHING, NADA, ZIP, ZILCH
Other Thoughts: I am on vacation with my family. I visited this course all the way from Kalamazoo, MI. Around there we have 12 courses within 20 minutes. I was quite surprised that this was the only 18 hole coarse around. This course would fit in well with the top five courses up there. I really wish it was closer to home.

Bring the Bug Spray!

1    6/6/2015   6/6/2015
Review By: nevets4433
This review was updated on 6/29/2015
Pros: For an area that is very congested and doesn't have a lot of decent 18 hole loops, Socastee fills that gap nicely. It is a very nice recreational park with a ton of amenities, warmup fields, and other sporting events. You can tell that disc golf is becoming a higher priority here. There was a practice basket and a nice kiosk by the first hole.

Nice Discatchers...all decked out in blue!

18 holes, mostly through heavy woods, that are a very tough challenge of supreme precision.

Tee pads are beyond ample on every hole. Some holes have an alternative "blue tee" which largely adds only a bit of length, but even further increases the difficulty.

Great job of scattering in a few par 4s and 5s to break the monotony of what could have otherwise been death by short, narrow par 3.

Overall fairly good signage and navigation, but unfortunately some of the navigation signs from hole to hole have been moved around and are hard to see.

Very nice benches at most tees on the front nine.

I thought 10 was a really cool hole. After trudging through deep woods for the front nine, you get a reprieve of a really long, bomber's open field to a tucked pin which made a very nice par 3.
Cons: There are a lot of hole designs at this course that are really a bit lacking. Hole 4 shows on the sign two various lines to the basket, but the fairway is no more than 4-5 paces wide, and neither of those lines really exist. I don't find poke-and-pray to be a good hole design, and that is what I found on that hole.

11 was pretty bad too. It is supposed to be a long anhyzer from one fairway to another tucked behind the trees, but the line is a bit silly. It plays more like a throw straight down a creek.

17 - I appreciate calling the sporting fields OB, and using the little creek to make an "island" green. But there isn't a good line into the pin that won't either be blocked by trees or skip off of the hardpan green into the creek.

18 - The first 400 feet are a tunnel between trees and a retaining mound..and it was a total of about 10 paces wide with no room on either side. Then when you break out of the tunnel, there are still a ton of trees in the middle of the fairway. The poke-and-pray motif showed itself again here unfortunately.

A lot of the ground is very lowlying...a few holes we played were partially flooded and were most definitely breeding grounds for the many mosquitoes and horseflys.
Other Thoughts: This course has great ambitions, and with the time that has gone into it so far, I would anticipate it would continue to get better. There already looked to be a new tee pad being installed for another hole on the front nine, but it was in concrete tiles and didn't match the rest. With some selective tree trimming to make a few of the lines more defined, this course could be transformed from a frustrating trudge in the woods to a very nice wooded course.

The front nine had a lot of nice maintenance and upkeep. The back nine sported a walk through abandoned yard furniture, and a bench that was formerly a porch swing that was now up on cinderblocks.

Beast at the Beach!

1    3/26/2015   3/26/2015
Review By: Jgelband
Pros: Great course. Tons of variety. I played after rain so the course was swampy but I'm leaving that out completely. The front nine was well laid out. I played the blue pads and there were straight shots and shots with specific lines required but I thought the holes were challenging and fun. I was really enjoying myself and then came the back nine. 10-12 started out really nice. more open and stretched out than the front then this course went from good to beast in a hurry. The final 6 holes are a true test of your DG game. Theres fairways but you've really got to hit your lines to get through this section at par. There are elevated baskets, twisting fairways and tons of trouble on both sides.
Cons: None-Top notch legit DG course. Loved it.
Other Thoughts: For a new course this is very polished. The local club or parks dept. has put a ton of work into making this a challenging and fun course. I cant wait to get back!

2-4    10/19/2014   10/19/2014
Review By: jeffm22458
Pros: Great accuracy course. Distances seemed to match how tight each hole was. Perfect concrete pads and pretty good signage. Minor elevation changes. Dont remeber much trash at all, the park seemed very well kept. The par was something like 63. There were definitely 3 par 5s and some par 4s. So this course is beefy, good all around test of your golf game.
Cons: Only thing that would boost this course rating higher is if there were some water or real elevation change
Other Thoughts: Pro level course very much worth playing. Or driving a few hours to get to and spend the day.

Loved it!

1    10/19/2014   10/19/2014
Review By: Apsey
Pros: Challenging course. Good mix of short and fun, and long and punishing. Loved the holes that required placement shots. New tee pads are phenomenal.
Cons: Can't really think of any cons. The back 9 isn't as groomed as the front 9 but the locals are working hard to shape up the course. Id give the course a 5 based on quality of course on the property it's on.

A Solid Start

1    8/5/2014   8/6/2014
Review By: amryan11
Pros: -wooded shots with some real technical challenge
-mixture of hole lengths
-some signage
-intelligent use of the space, with very few holes placed without thought
-fairway vegetation seems pretty well maintained
-not too far out for anyone vacationing in Myrtle Beach
-not crowded at all
-nice new baskets
Cons: -signage missing in some locations and lacking in all
-tees are mostly gravel, some are better than others
-vegetation off the fairway could be pretty snarly
-during my visit, lots of standing water
-decent amount of bugs
Other Thoughts: This is a solid course and a good start for the Myrtle Beach area. The holes were interesting and provided technical challenge without being extremely difficult most of the time. The vegetation generally was not a problem unless you strayed from the fairway, and in that case I mostly expect as much. When I was there, there was a considerable amount of standing water. This with the humidity makes for some bugs which weren't so nice, but you're in the middle of the woods. You have to be fairly tolerant of spiders to get through all the paths. In my opinion, this course makes great use of the beautiful forests I see all throughout South Carolina. One of the greatest indicators for me of a well-done course is one that makes use of the unique landscape of the area, whatever that may be.

My biggest gripe would be the signage- some holes had signs left over from a tournament in January 2014 but some of these are gone and the ones that are still around only give a hole number, length, and par. There is no map of the hole or permanent sign. Such improvements would be a great addition to this course. Navigation was fairly intuitive but not completely clear at some points, so a map online or near the course entrance would be an improvement as well. Also, the tees were mostly gravel, but at least were pretty uniform for most holes. There was at least one hole that because of lack of signage and clear tees I wasn't sure where to begin.

The flip side of this is that all of the baskets were pristine. Some elevation or added length could really make this course exciting, but I think with the space allotted a good course was assembled. For me, it is good, but not quite great. If you are in the area, it is absolutely worth trying out, especially since there isn't a ton else really close.

There's Rough...and Then There's ROUGH

2-4    3/6/2014   3/6/2014
Review By: mrclc
Pros: Socastee Recreational Park is basically the only 18 hole option for disc golf in the Myrtle Beach area, and features a variety of generally well-designed holes ranging from 137 to 760 feet from the white tees. This course is clearly designed to be difficult, and it largely succeeds in walking the fine line between challenge and frustration. Most holes play in an "open woods" style, featuring light to medium obstacles in the fairway, with heavy rough (more on that below). This style is a hallmark of many beloved courses, and Socastee wears it well.

Navigation is fairly intuitive with some diverging paths, but following the one more traveled puts you at the correct hole with relative ease. When I played, temporary tee signs were still in place from a recent tournament, giving what seemed to be accurate hole lengths. A permanent installation of signs with this feature would benefit the course greatly.

All 18 holes play to newer blue Innova baskets that show no signs of wear, vandalism, or other disrepair.
Cons: The bugs have been talked about at length by other reviewers, but I played my rounds in the cold, so I can't speak to that. I can mention the disc- and player-eating rough, which makes any recovery shot a cruel misadventure. From a strategic standpoint, it is the most difficult rough I've ever encountered. Like most rec players, I'm typically of a "play it as it lies" mindset, but there were multiple times I had to give myself an OB penalty because it was better than a tomahawk attempt through the overgrown wilderness. Players should watch for occasional thorns, and watch their step as holes are often obscured by ground cover.

Some of the par 4 & 5 holes (chiefly 13 & 16) seem to be simply mowed out of the woods with no fairway obstacles until the approach shot. I had enough trouble keeping my discs out of the aforementioned rough, but this design element got rather tiresome after a while. I'm personally not a fan of length for the sake of length, and in my opinion almost all long holes at Socastee fit this bill.

Tee pads are natural, and are a type of thick sand. Okay for a forehander like me who only needs a limited run-up, but may be difficult to use for backhand players.

Many holes contained a lot of debris, both natural and manmade (the Hole 5 boat!). While this doesn't make the course feel trashy per se, it certainly doesn't give off a well-manicured vibe. Many lies can be a difficult play for those in tennis shoes because of the natural debris (downed limbs, trees, earthy low spots, exposed roots).
Other Thoughts: If you're vacationing in Myrtle Beach and can't travel as far as Wilmington or Charleston, this is about all you've got in the way of serious disc golf. Luckily, it's not too bad of a course to be stuck with. Although it can be difficult to the point of frustration due to the jungle-thick rough, it's still a round of disc that requires thought and strategy to often satisfying results.

Solid and Challenging

2-4    1/18/2014   1/20/2014
Review By: kmelton
Pros: A challenging mix of short tight holes, to defined fairway par 4's and 5's, to placement par 4's, with a sprinkling of moderately open shots. This course makes you play disc golf like you are supposed to. You have to throw straight when you have to, you have to know how to scramble out of the woods on a bad shot, you must have a flex shot to get a birdie, I used flicks, hyzer flips, rollers, thumbers, and flex shots. The tee pads of crushed gravel are more preferable for me because it allows me to turn my foot easier which makes it easier on my knee when I throw backhand. I played right before a tournament, so signs were up for distances, hole numbers, and next tee: navigation was easy. Some short tees were in place--looked like more might be on the way. Didn't look like anyone used the "nature trail" that winds around near a few holes on the front 9-- so the course is exclusive to DG.
Cons: I played in cold weather, but I could see a bug problem emerging in the warmer months. Standing water can be a problem both for playing/walking around it and for mosquitos. Sure there could be some benches on some more holes but the only time a sit down when I play is during a tournament, and even then I don't like to sit much--might be a drawback for some. Not a good course to bring your girlfriend/wife/kid/first-timer: not too beginner friendly--some true par 4's and 5's. They still might have fun though. I could see how this course could be a haven for snakes when it gets warmer if the course is not maintained--high patches of grass. Like I said, I played in the winter when the fairways were clear of grass/weeds, it might be different come May.
Other Thoughts: Not too familiar with how safe the neighborhood is, but appeared be in a typical middle class area to me. RC track onsite with playground basketball courts could be a plus. Navigating and patiently waiting in MB traffic will test you. Most of the course feels isolated which I love. The junky boat on the side of hole #5 fairway could be fixed up, painted and utilized as a fun ornamentation for the hole--or just get rid of it. I imagine when the leaves come in, the course will get tighter but this course is definitely worth your time.

Difficult course, with lots of problems

2-4    1/11/2014   1/12/2014
Review By: jacetheace517
Pros: -The course is challenging. I like that.
-Basically every shot tests your accuracy
-Several legit par 4 and 5's
Cons: -This course is borderline dangerous. My first time on the course a partial tree fell on my ankle, then when I maneuvered around that, I put my foot into a sinkhole that was hidden.
-The teeboxes are some of the worst I've played. They are like a sand type mixture inside of a wooden frame. Problem is there's no way to really plant and pivot without slipping. At least for me. I may have pulled a muscle sliding around trying to get a decent run up.
-As has been said in other reviews. There is no tolerance for inaccuracy. 3 feet off of the fairway to either side and basically every hole will add at least 1 stroke to your score
Other Thoughts: Overall. I gave the course a passable. Because I had fun and it was challenging and I like that. But I was extremely frustrated by the tee "pads" and the unsafe footing randomly sprinkled throughout

< Prev 1 2 3 4