Frolfing in the Hood, Yo.
1 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: - Nice variety of holes. Some were extremely narrow and some personified that Dixie Chicks song, "Wide Open Spaces."
- The course has a zero tolerance policy for errant shots. OB really means OB, and if you throw OB, you're going to acquire BO trying to find your disc in what my buddy termed "The Amazon." It's not just vanilla woods and your standard, run-of-the-mill bushes; it's straight up atmospheric Armageddon. The thorns, bugs, spider webs, blind turns are something straight out of a Harry Potter movie. The Dark Forest takes no prisoners. I'm pretty sure I saw Voldermort flogging the dolphin behind a tree on 16. However, this challenge improves your concentration and motivates you to make every shot count.
- Very little traffic.
- The antithesis of my wife, the baskets are very forgiving.
- Extremely challenging.
- Park is really nice and there's plenty for the smaller humans to do while they're waiting for you to finish your round. Lots of parking, too.
Cons: - No elevation (but this is sort-of understandable due to the proximity to the coast)
- No benches: The only things available to sit on were some very shady looking lawn chairs that made tee boxes look like a set location on The Walking Dead.
- Navigation can be tricky as the course layout could prove fairly ambiguous to first-timers.
- Huge spiders. Yeah. I hate spiders. "Stay out of the woods!", you say? That's like asking Congress to pass a budget.
- Many (if not most) tee boxes are not annotated as to where the basket is, how long the hole is, or what par is. This can be very frustrating for first-timers and people who don't play this course much.
- Looks a bit unkempt, as if the course woke up with bed head. Some holes feel as if you're playing a game with Laura Ingalls behind the little house on the prairie.
- Tee pads look like a bunch of floormats from a 1978 Dodge Dart stitched together.
- No topless Hooters girls frolicking along the #8 fairway.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this course will definitely test your accuracy and, if you're anything like me, your scavenger hunting skills. I would give it a 2.634, but I don't get that drop-down option with this browser.
Beginners will either find this course very discouraging or inspire them to go buy a lottery ticket. It's tough and could potentially give top-flight players a real run for their money. The drawback is presentation. It's like putting a pit-bull in a tux: It's tough and may severely injury your pride (and disc collection), but sometimes that's the only way you'll get a date to the ball. Problem is that this ball is held in Detroit and your date is ugly as shit.
Bottom Line: The course is worth playing, but more than likely won't end up in your favorites.
1 of 1 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: Cool to have a course so close to the beach. Tee pad were good for sand. Needs more play. The layout was ok with pretty nice pin placements.
Cons: Between 2 groups we seen 7 copper head snakes on the first 7 holes. Not sure what can done about it but I stopped playing with my two sons because of snakes and bugs.
Other Thoughts: Keep up the work and it should break in nicely. Good luck with the snakes. Need to go on a head hunt.
0 of 1 people found this review helpful.
5 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: Several of the hole layouts are promising. Should be a nice course when it's complete. Front 9 is in a nice shaded peaceful wooded area.
Cons: Most of the cons are due to the "in progress" nature of the course. Several of the wooded holes need some TLC to make them more playable. Course plays near walking paths so be careful of people and their pets. Signage and directions are poor at this point. Hole 2 plays into the wind along a fence with only one open door... make sure not to go right or you will be walking a long way to get your disc.
Other Thoughts: This course is still under construction but it shows potential. I was able to find 14 holes and from what I can see the back nine should be pretty interesting.
I met the course designer while I was there and they were getting ready to do some clearing for more fairways. It sounds like there is a lot of interest in the MB area and there could be a couple more courses coming in the near future.
5 of 5 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.