Myrtle Beach, SC
Socastee Rec. Park Share
Uploaded By: Hindenburg Hole #10 (Taken 3/2012)
-- / --   3 / 285ft.   3 / 435ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #10 Mid-Fairway to Tee

Challenging Course

2-4    9/1/2013   9/6/2013
Review By: Sarge Cal
Pros: I haven't been playing very long and this course offers many challenges. Some pros have issues with this course so if I can master Socastee...I can handle my own at any other course.
Cons: None to say. Still a work on progress and coming along great.
Other Thoughts: I know the person that currently maintains the course and has taken many considerations offered from these reviews. Will be an outstanding course!

Almost There (Stay on Target)

1    5/24/2013   5/28/2013
Review By: Toro71
Pros: I'm not a local, but, I'd like to welcome legit disc golf to the Myrtle Beach area.

- Design: I found this to be an interesting, well thought out track. Front 9 is short, technical, requiring placement over heroics. The back 9 features a few holes that have some more open lines/options off the tee, and some chances to air it out with drivers. The only design element really lacking is elevation changes--to be expected from a low country course. Generally speaking, you're going to need to play golf rather than murder this layout with power. As such, even though it's a challenging, blue level course, you don't need 450 ft drives to score. Considering it's a multi-use park, only on 18 is there any chance at all of throwing into other park goers. I found the fun-factor to be pretty high.

--Difficulty: It's a challenging course, but I felt like the difficulty level was very consistent throughout, for the most part. The really tight lines on the front were shorter holes, and parred such that you can take the holes one bite at a time. The longer stuff on the back nine had fairly generous lines.

- Navigation: judging from earlier reviews, I'd say there's been vast improvement here. Both the basket locations/fairways, and transitions between holes were intuitive, and playing it blind with no course map or tee signs was no problem. I had to recon a number of pole locations, but the baskets were generally right where they seemed like they should be, and I had almost no problem finding the next tees. All the pads were numbered.

- Drainage: always a concern with low country courses, it seems like this is not much of a problem. I played it the morning after a heavy, I'm talking monsoon-type rain. There was some standing water in spots, some from the heavy equipment used for cutting, but it was pretty dry, considering. Ironically, the roughness due to recent cutting/chipping was like mulch, and may have helped some of the damp spots.

- New blue Discatchers, practice basket right by first tee and entrance to park.

- The Park: ...is pretty awesome. Playground, basketball, tennis, "beach" volleyball, lacrosse, soccer, even a little BMX track for the kids, vending machine(s). No reason why the whole fam damly can't have a blast out there. Pretty easy to get to from Myrtle, Garden City, etc.

- Isolation: Given a large multi-use park, the course is almost totally isolated, with a nature trail feel. I think I was the only player on the course. I heard some chainsaws going, so maybe the designer/club guys were working out there, but I didn't come across them, which is too bad since they need a high five for this gem in progress.
Cons: Some of these are to be expected, and I don't ding my rating for all of these, but the player needs to know...

I don't remember any trash cans on the course, and while there's no benches, there are a few holes with improvised seating, camp chairs, one car seat. For me, fine for now, it wasn't brutally hot/humid, and it's flat. I don't doubt this will be handled in due time.

Tee pads: I'm sort of 50-50 on them. They're framed and filled with crushed gravel/aggregate. There are only a few tee shots where I really missed concrete, and for me maintenance of these type of pads is the big concern...the designers/local dudes could check out what they have at Grand Central Station in the upstate to improve consistent footing, as an alternative to pouring crete, though my suspicion is that concrete pads will happen eventually...?

--Signage: again, no doubt tee signs/hole maps likely in the plans. Each tee is clearly numbered, and even without next tee signs, I had no trouble navigating. Recent rerouting seems to have occurred, since 8 plays to a basket numbered 9, and vice versa, which messed me up for a minute, but its so obvious how its supposed to flow, it was a minor ding.

--Growing pains. It's a new course, and some of the holes have been recently cut, and it shows. Bit rough around the edges, so to speak. I'm used to it, and it didn't detract from my enjoyment, my suggestion is, do the folks a solid, and toss some sticks etc off the fairway around your lie(s). Those of not so certain footing will have some tripping issues until this course gets some traffic.

--"Wildlife": earlier reviews mentioned snakes, I saw none, but the skeeters were pretty rampant. It's the low country. Bring your favorite bug spray.

-- Holes 1-3 are problematic. 1's not rancid, but it's just too short for the course, bit of a par 2 type deal. 2 has the possibility of either playing into 3 tee, or missing right, over a fence into the road. Not much traffic, it ends at the park entrance, but you'll have to hop it, meaning the fence, or double back and go around if you shank right. In say a tourney situation, 3's tee will be in a danger zone from 2's tee.

--I suppose the argument could be made that, for the first legit 18 hole course in the area, this course is "too tough". It's right where I'm at, so to speak, but not really beginner friendly.

--Repetitive?: For some, the front side may seem so. I found the shot requirements to be subtly different from hole to hole, but I didn't pull out any drivers until 10 I don't think. i like having to "play golf" like that, but I suppose, again, that this argument could be made at this point.

--for the front 9 especially, I'm guessing that there will always be debates about leaving vs removing this tree or that. It's the age old thing. What one player finds fair, the next may find gimmicky. I come from a town that has a lot of courses like this one, so I had no beef, but expect to hit a tree now and then even on very good shots.

--Lost precious potential: new course, the rough is rough, especially on the back 9. There are spots where I was reluctant to go in after errant throws. I came away with the bag intact...barely.

--Standing water: Though far better than I anticipated, there were some spots where big puddles were a bit of an issue, and I suspect that with the rain the area will inevitably get, that this could be a bummer for the less adventurous/high-polish junkies.
Other Thoughts: My extended family takes a big beach vacation every year, and it moves around periodically to accommodate everyone's travel. When this year's was to Garden City, I was at first a bit distraught, knowing that, though the area is renowned as a ball golf destination, there hasn't been great discing here...then I saw this course on this website. The early reviews were consistent with a brand new course with basically just the baskets in the ground, so I was hesitant to try it, and only got out there the last full day I was in town...my only regret.

I started playing 3 yrs ago, in Charlotte, just as CDGC was getting ready for worlds. So, I'm used to "diamonds in the rough" courses that have the new course issues. For me, Socastee has some tweaking left to do, but is entirely playable, offers good variety, and is a blast to get around. If you require "finished" to enjoy a round, may want to give the locals time to get there, but IMO, you're missing out if you settle for only a round or two at Tupelo Bay. This is no doubt a championship caliber course in the making. If you're in the area, do yourself a favor, suck it up w/r/t the work in progress aspect, and give this track a go.

1    5/7/2013   5/8/2013
Review By: Happyhacker
Pros: All holes now have crushed gravel tee boxes.
Though wooded, there are nice throwing lanes on most holes. (ignore earlier complaints about too many trees. It's obvious that heavy equipment was brought in to remove trees and brush)
Course has fun layout! Next time I'm in MB I will look forward to playing it and seeing the changes.
Cons: It had rained the day we played it and the heavy equipment had left ruts which filled with water. First timers could still use some help finding the next tee box on some holes. Still quite a bit to trip on. Foot traffic will help to break down sticks and roots. Would love signage indicating where baskets are and the par on each hole.
Other Thoughts: Many thanks to all those who are obviously working hard on this course! Although not there yet. It is moving toward becoming a challenging and fun course.

Great time

2-4    4/20/2013   4/24/2013
Review By: BobRob
Pros: The course is a good mix or long and short hole as well as open and wooded holes. The group of guys out there are putting a lot of work into the course and were working on the course when I showed up to play. They have formed up the tee boxes and hope to have them complete soon.
Cons: The only thing I could think of is the course needs more foot traffic to help beat down some of the thick rough areas.
Other Thoughts: This is a new course and a lot of work has already gone into it. I played the course 3 times over 2 days and really enjoyed it. I reviewed what others wrote about the course and was very disappointed in the low negative ratings giving. Its a brand NEW course what do you expect. I have played many many courses in NC, SC, TN, FL and TX and can see this course as a top course in the next couple of years. The group are working on tees, signs and the park seems very willing to allow the to do whatever they need. I recommend you go play this course and help to improve it

Good Times

2-4    4/19/2012   4/22/2012
Review By: dclogic
Pros: This was a fun course even for just 10 holes so far. Look forward to playing it when I return on vacation next year. Holes are challenging.
Cons: Not much. If anything, still needs grooming more. You can't ever really have cons when there wasn't anything there before. Always good when a new course comes together.
Other Thoughts: Hopefully this will be a start of courses in this area.