Myrtle Beach, SC
Socastee Rec. Park Share
Uploaded By: Hindenburg Hole #7 (Taken 3/2012)
-- / --   4 / 495ft.   4 / 495ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #7 Approach

2-4    10/19/2014   10/19/2014
Review By: jeffm22458
Pros: Great accuracy course. Distances seemed to match how tight each hole was. Perfect concrete pads and pretty good signage. Minor elevation changes. Dont remeber much trash at all, the park seemed very well kept. The par was something like 63. There were definitely 3 par 5s and some par 4s. So this course is beefy, good all around test of your golf game.
Cons: Only thing that would boost this course rating higher is if there were some water or real elevation change
Other Thoughts: Pro level course very much worth playing. Or driving a few hours to get to and spend the day.

Solid and Challenging

2-4    1/18/2014   1/20/2014
Review By: kmelton
Pros: A challenging mix of short tight holes, to defined fairway par 4's and 5's, to placement par 4's, with a sprinkling of moderately open shots. This course makes you play disc golf like you are supposed to. You have to throw straight when you have to, you have to know how to scramble out of the woods on a bad shot, you must have a flex shot to get a birdie, I used flicks, hyzer flips, rollers, thumbers, and flex shots. The tee pads of crushed gravel are more preferable for me because it allows me to turn my foot easier which makes it easier on my knee when I throw backhand. I played right before a tournament, so signs were up for distances, hole numbers, and next tee: navigation was easy. Some short tees were in place--looked like more might be on the way. Didn't look like anyone used the "nature trail" that winds around near a few holes on the front 9-- so the course is exclusive to DG.
Cons: I played in cold weather, but I could see a bug problem emerging in the warmer months. Standing water can be a problem both for playing/walking around it and for mosquitos. Sure there could be some benches on some more holes but the only time a sit down when I play is during a tournament, and even then I don't like to sit much--might be a drawback for some. Not a good course to bring your girlfriend/wife/kid/first-timer: not too beginner friendly--some true par 4's and 5's. They still might have fun though. I could see how this course could be a haven for snakes when it gets warmer if the course is not maintained--high patches of grass. Like I said, I played in the winter when the fairways were clear of grass/weeds, it might be different come May.
Other Thoughts: Not too familiar with how safe the neighborhood is, but appeared be in a typical middle class area to me. RC track onsite with playground basketball courts could be a plus. Navigating and patiently waiting in MB traffic will test you. Most of the course feels isolated which I love. The junky boat on the side of hole #5 fairway could be fixed up, painted and utilized as a fun ornamentation for the hole--or just get rid of it. I imagine when the leaves come in, the course will get tighter but this course is definitely worth your time.

Thank you for installing a course in MB!!!

2-4    5/1/2013   6/1/2013
Review By: filobedo
Pros: Most underrated course in SC as of April 2013. This is definately one of my favorite courses I have played and I have only played 3 rounds. This is how golf needs to evolve with par 3's, 4's and 5's. Favorite holes include

#3 - tight anhyzer for rhbh with basket tucked to the right for good chance at 2.
#4 - Very good tight technical hole with protected green straight up the middle with 2 routes to basket.
#12 - Very fun spike or long hyzer or thumber over trees for rhbh with a chance for 2
#13 - Signature hole I would think that is very long par 5 and technical that reminds of how some techinical holes at the IDGC and Charlotte are. Hole starts with a short placement shot drive then long narrow gap to the basket. You must stay on the fairway with for a Par and a 4 is phenominal for average players.
#14 great hole which is a long straight to anhyzer shot for rhbh with guarded green and basket tucked to right
#15 - Straight up the gut. Perfect Ace run hole straight down the middle but trouble on both the right and left
#16 - Very long hole with an open fairway from the tee that goes left and then a little back to the right for your second shot to a tight green
Cons: I hate to be negative and I am no course designer but my suggestions are,
#6 and #7- Very good holes but would like to see some trees cut for a little more fair chance for birdie.
#7 could possibly be the signature hole if cleared a little more in the right places.
#10 seems like a throwaway hole that could be improved if the tee was moved a little closer and to the left and the basket back.
#11 - The trees in the middle of the fairway could be trimmed at the ditch to allow a lower anhyzer to penetrate the green for RHBH.
Also, I played the week the teepads were installed and had trouble with footing because they seemed similar to sand. I like the rubber kitchen mats more that I play on them like at Grand Central Station, Kure Beach and Sewee Outpost which could be a good add to the existing tee pads.
Other Thoughts: This course will just get better and better and the local Club appears to be going in the right direction but is small and it sounds like another course is in the works in the MB area. Hopefully they will maintain this course the way it currently is. Go to the Grand Strand DG or Myrtle Beach Facebook page to find a local to meet and guide you through the course if you have never been there. Also, disregard any negative reviews prior to March or April 2013. I played this course in March 2012 and I had the same negative thoughts on the course due to the lack of fairways and I could not find any holes after #11. The local Club is also in its infancy but a few members are well known dgers in the Southeast and the World who understand what makes a great course.