Myrtle Beach, SC
Socastee Rec. Park Share
Uploaded By: Hindenburg Hole #6 (Taken 3/2012)
-- / --   3 / 275ft.   3 / 275ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Almost There (Stay on Target)

1    5/24/2013   5/28/2013
Review By: Toro71
Pros: I'm not a local, but, I'd like to welcome legit disc golf to the Myrtle Beach area.

- Design: I found this to be an interesting, well thought out track. Front 9 is short, technical, requiring placement over heroics. The back 9 features a few holes that have some more open lines/options off the tee, and some chances to air it out with drivers. The only design element really lacking is elevation changes--to be expected from a low country course. Generally speaking, you're going to need to play golf rather than murder this layout with power. As such, even though it's a challenging, blue level course, you don't need 450 ft drives to score. Considering it's a multi-use park, only on 18 is there any chance at all of throwing into other park goers. I found the fun-factor to be pretty high.

--Difficulty: It's a challenging course, but I felt like the difficulty level was very consistent throughout, for the most part. The really tight lines on the front were shorter holes, and parred such that you can take the holes one bite at a time. The longer stuff on the back nine had fairly generous lines.

- Navigation: judging from earlier reviews, I'd say there's been vast improvement here. Both the basket locations/fairways, and transitions between holes were intuitive, and playing it blind with no course map or tee signs was no problem. I had to recon a number of pole locations, but the baskets were generally right where they seemed like they should be, and I had almost no problem finding the next tees. All the pads were numbered.

- Drainage: always a concern with low country courses, it seems like this is not much of a problem. I played it the morning after a heavy, I'm talking monsoon-type rain. There was some standing water in spots, some from the heavy equipment used for cutting, but it was pretty dry, considering. Ironically, the roughness due to recent cutting/chipping was like mulch, and may have helped some of the damp spots.

- New blue Discatchers, practice basket right by first tee and entrance to park.

- The Park: ...is pretty awesome. Playground, basketball, tennis, "beach" volleyball, lacrosse, soccer, even a little BMX track for the kids, vending machine(s). No reason why the whole fam damly can't have a blast out there. Pretty easy to get to from Myrtle, Garden City, etc.

- Isolation: Given a large multi-use park, the course is almost totally isolated, with a nature trail feel. I think I was the only player on the course. I heard some chainsaws going, so maybe the designer/club guys were working out there, but I didn't come across them, which is too bad since they need a high five for this gem in progress.
Cons: Some of these are to be expected, and I don't ding my rating for all of these, but the player needs to know...

I don't remember any trash cans on the course, and while there's no benches, there are a few holes with improvised seating, camp chairs, one car seat. For me, fine for now, it wasn't brutally hot/humid, and it's flat. I don't doubt this will be handled in due time.

Tee pads: I'm sort of 50-50 on them. They're framed and filled with crushed gravel/aggregate. There are only a few tee shots where I really missed concrete, and for me maintenance of these type of pads is the big concern...the designers/local dudes could check out what they have at Grand Central Station in the upstate to improve consistent footing, as an alternative to pouring crete, though my suspicion is that concrete pads will happen eventually...?

--Signage: again, no doubt tee signs/hole maps likely in the plans. Each tee is clearly numbered, and even without next tee signs, I had no trouble navigating. Recent rerouting seems to have occurred, since 8 plays to a basket numbered 9, and vice versa, which messed me up for a minute, but its so obvious how its supposed to flow, it was a minor ding.

--Growing pains. It's a new course, and some of the holes have been recently cut, and it shows. Bit rough around the edges, so to speak. I'm used to it, and it didn't detract from my enjoyment, my suggestion is, do the folks a solid, and toss some sticks etc off the fairway around your lie(s). Those of not so certain footing will have some tripping issues until this course gets some traffic.

--"Wildlife": earlier reviews mentioned snakes, I saw none, but the skeeters were pretty rampant. It's the low country. Bring your favorite bug spray.

-- Holes 1-3 are problematic. 1's not rancid, but it's just too short for the course, bit of a par 2 type deal. 2 has the possibility of either playing into 3 tee, or missing right, over a fence into the road. Not much traffic, it ends at the park entrance, but you'll have to hop it, meaning the fence, or double back and go around if you shank right. In say a tourney situation, 3's tee will be in a danger zone from 2's tee.

--I suppose the argument could be made that, for the first legit 18 hole course in the area, this course is "too tough". It's right where I'm at, so to speak, but not really beginner friendly.

--Repetitive?: For some, the front side may seem so. I found the shot requirements to be subtly different from hole to hole, but I didn't pull out any drivers until 10 I don't think. i like having to "play golf" like that, but I suppose, again, that this argument could be made at this point.

--for the front 9 especially, I'm guessing that there will always be debates about leaving vs removing this tree or that. It's the age old thing. What one player finds fair, the next may find gimmicky. I come from a town that has a lot of courses like this one, so I had no beef, but expect to hit a tree now and then even on very good shots.

--Lost precious potential: new course, the rough is rough, especially on the back 9. There are spots where I was reluctant to go in after errant throws. I came away with the bag intact...barely.

--Standing water: Though far better than I anticipated, there were some spots where big puddles were a bit of an issue, and I suspect that with the rain the area will inevitably get, that this could be a bummer for the less adventurous/high-polish junkies.
Other Thoughts: My extended family takes a big beach vacation every year, and it moves around periodically to accommodate everyone's travel. When this year's was to Garden City, I was at first a bit distraught, knowing that, though the area is renowned as a ball golf destination, there hasn't been great discing here...then I saw this course on this website. The early reviews were consistent with a brand new course with basically just the baskets in the ground, so I was hesitant to try it, and only got out there the last full day I was in town...my only regret.

I started playing 3 yrs ago, in Charlotte, just as CDGC was getting ready for worlds. So, I'm used to "diamonds in the rough" courses that have the new course issues. For me, Socastee has some tweaking left to do, but is entirely playable, offers good variety, and is a blast to get around. If you require "finished" to enjoy a round, may want to give the locals time to get there, but IMO, you're missing out if you settle for only a round or two at Tupelo Bay. This is no doubt a championship caliber course in the making. If you're in the area, do yourself a favor, suck it up w/r/t the work in progress aspect, and give this track a go.

5+    5/11/2013   5/18/2013
Review By: DNewq
Pros: - A lot of passion and hard work has gone into designing and prepping this course. It took a little while, but once they got momentum going this course came together nicely. It is great to play as is, but will only get better with a info kiosk, benches, hole distances, etc.
- I expect this course to be the model course for the region, which has been slow to grow the disc golf scene.
- The park has tons going on all the time, which makes it a lot of fun. Disc Golf is one of many activities there, you could easily spend a whole day if you brought lunch, a basketball or soccer ball, etc.
- Course has a nice variety of hole layouts and distances.
Cons: - There are rumors to be snakes on the course, I have yet to encounter one, but be on the lookout.
- The brush can be thick off the fairway. I have lost 2 discs, one I thought for sure I would recover, but had to walk away.
- I was nervous that the course could get grown in during summer season, but so far that does not seem to be a problem.
Other Thoughts: - It really turned out to be a top notch course. A nice mix of par 3s, 4s, and 5s. There are a few OBs, which add some good touch on a few holes. I am glad there are no mandos, we'll see if they ever include any.
- The park itself has all the amenities to make it a good tournament site. They had one last weekend sponsored by Dynamic Disc. Modest turnout, need to get the word out at how great this course is. See for yourself.

1    5/7/2013   5/8/2013
Review By: Happyhacker
Pros: All holes now have crushed gravel tee boxes.
Though wooded, there are nice throwing lanes on most holes. (ignore earlier complaints about too many trees. It's obvious that heavy equipment was brought in to remove trees and brush)
Course has fun layout! Next time I'm in MB I will look forward to playing it and seeing the changes.
Cons: It had rained the day we played it and the heavy equipment had left ruts which filled with water. First timers could still use some help finding the next tee box on some holes. Still quite a bit to trip on. Foot traffic will help to break down sticks and roots. Would love signage indicating where baskets are and the par on each hole.
Other Thoughts: Many thanks to all those who are obviously working hard on this course! Although not there yet. It is moving toward becoming a challenging and fun course.

Huge Improvement! Course is meeting its high potential

5+    5/6/2013   5/6/2013
Review By: Khersh
Pros: A wide variety of twists and turns along with narrow straight shots and long holes. Requires a variety of shots.This course is challenging and my opinion, the best course anywhere near the area. We have been working on improving this course for a while and it is near completion. All holes have been play-ready for a few months now and we have just finished putting in the gravel tee pads.
Cons: Lots of snakes.
Lots of roots to trip over.
There is still some minor work that needs done but mainly just for cosmetics.
Other Thoughts: All holes are finished. As of now we have the par set at 64.

Great New Course!!!

2-4    4/26/2013   4/29/2013
Review By: elsteveo30
Pros: I agree with BobRob, the course is a great mix of long & short holes as well as open and wooded. The course is obviously in it infancy, but is coming along very nicely! There is no water hazards where you can loss a disc which is always nice!
Cons: No permanent cons that I can think of! Tee pads are being worked on and will be completed in the near future. Tee signs and hole distances don't exist at the moment, but I'm sure they will appear sooner or later. There are some directional arrows on the front 9, back 9 doesn't have them yet. Score card and course map also don't exist, but will be created in time! All these things I mentioned aren't really cons about the course, just luxuries that I'm sure will come in time!
Other Thoughts: We played the course 3 times in a 2 day period, same as BobRob. We really enjoyed it and felt it was a great challenge! My score improved each round 74, 70, and 66. I would think the course par is somewhere around 60? Don't listen to earlier reviews that just complain about petty stuff. I Definitely recommend this course as a must visit if you are in the Myrtle Beach area!

Great time

2-4    4/20/2013   4/24/2013
Review By: BobRob
Pros: The course is a good mix or long and short hole as well as open and wooded holes. The group of guys out there are putting a lot of work into the course and were working on the course when I showed up to play. They have formed up the tee boxes and hope to have them complete soon.
Cons: The only thing I could think of is the course needs more foot traffic to help beat down some of the thick rough areas.
Other Thoughts: This is a new course and a lot of work has already gone into it. I played the course 3 times over 2 days and really enjoyed it. I reviewed what others wrote about the course and was very disappointed in the low negative ratings giving. Its a brand NEW course what do you expect. I have played many many courses in NC, SC, TN, FL and TX and can see this course as a top course in the next couple of years. The group are working on tees, signs and the park seems very willing to allow the to do whatever they need. I recommend you go play this course and help to improve it

Coming along nicely

2-4    3/16/2013   3/22/2013
Review By: chrisjbarr
Pros: Long holes. Only wooded course in the area. Not crowded
Cons: Still needs signage, but myself and some others have put up some directional signs at each hole. Kudos to the guys building this course, it is much needed around here and much appreciated.

Better Than Nothing?

1    3/8/2013   3/9/2013
Review By: vansmith
Pros: Nice new baskets.
It's the only 18 hole course in Myrtle Beach.
Cons: No tee pads.
Holes are not marked.
No distance markers yet.
Tons of ankle breakers.
Too many trees still.
Need to know the par for each hole.
Other Thoughts: First, I'll say, thanks for the effort in building an 18 hole course in Myrtle Beach. It's a great effort and the course does have a lot of potential.

Having said that, I'm assuming they're still working on the course. In its current condition is it ROUGH to say the least. There are very few hole markers and no tee pads. There are orange flags marking the tees, however. If you need to get to the next tee, follow the orange tags in the trees.

As mentioned, the course is very rough. There are huge sticks, limbs, and ankle breakers on every hole. I realize that cutting trees on every hole to build a course is no easy task, but that doesn't make it any less rough. I tripped or twisted my ankle on every hole.

Needs as of March 2013: tee pads, hole descriptions with distance markers, directions to the next hole, clean the course up a lot by getting rid of all the limbs, branches, leftover trees, and definitely by grinding up all the ankle breakers. There are also lots of unnecessary trees still in the fairways. I understand that trees are necessary to make the course harder, but there are still tons of trees that need to come down. Leaving trees is good, leaving too many trees makes the course unplayable.

About the best I can say in its present condition is that it's playable. Perhaps with a lot more work, time, and betterment it will be worth playing.

I See Potential

2-4    2/5/2013   2/5/2013
Review By: nc-hyzer1
Pros: An 18 hole course in Myrtle Beach. Short and long holes. Park is clean. By reading the course description I was able to navigate pretty easy. new baskets
Cons: Tripping hazards everywhere, no signs with footage or next tee markers would help. Some tee lines are off center or only provide one option to throw.
Other Thoughts: Thanks for a new course. I do understand that this course is new and the funds may not be there yet to complete everything that needs to be done quickly. The course at this time seems to lack an identity. The holes have a good basic design and appear to have been worked recently. I played the course two consecutive days and instead of stating the obvious from the other reviews I will give my feedback in a constructive manner. As stated I played two days and saw no one on the course, with the lack of courses in the area I was confused as why, I would tailor the course to stay challenging for current players, but inviting to attract new players to grow the sport in the local area. Please don't take this in a negative way; these are just my opinions from two days. Your plans may not been seen yet since the course is not complete.
Hole 1- Short but ok
Hole 2- Feels like it is there to make 18 holes. I would remove and make hole 3 the new 2
Hole 3- not bad, I would move the cage back towards the road on the edge of the tree line
Hole 4- the distance is good, I would remove a few trees to the right for an optional throwing lane. Would add a mental approach to the hole. (This is repeated a few times)
Hole 5- short, need s some clearing around cage.
Hole 6- Slide the cage to the right.
Hole 7- Poor throwing lane from box, center the tee and removing a few trees to the left will provide a second option and make players decide on a lane and increase challenge.
Hole 8- Same as hole 7, and Tee box should be moved up 20-30 feet, to close to 7's basket.
Hole 9- Tee box needs alignment or remove last to trees on the stump at tee box where the others have been removed.
Hole 10- worthless- could not play do to lacrosse practice both nights. Move tee to 11's spot
Hole 11- Move up around ditch then basket back to the left.
Hole 12- I like it, options are there, hit the basket with a "tomahawk throw"
Hole 13- current hole could stay if trees were thinned around 90 degree turn. I would make this 2 holes , I placed two orange wraps on a tree inside the turn where I would put the basket, and some just past it where I would put the new 13 tee. This would make up for removing hole 2
Hole 14- Good
Hole 15- Good, short but requires a straight shot
Hole 16- Nice long hole, move the basket back 100 ft. and tuck into trees, marked with the orange wraps. This would keep the integrity of the hole and allow the basket for 16 to become tee for 17
Hole 17- too easy, moving to 16's basket adds difficulty and makes the ditch become more of an obstacle. Leave other tee as alt.
Hole 18- This hole felt like it was long to say this course has a long hole; it did not have a good flow. I would move the tee up 100-150ft and the basket up 50 ft. (marked with a stick in the ground with orange wraps) and use the dirt around the basket area to make a new the elevated basket.

Unacceptable

1    11/17/2012   11/17/2012
Review By: prerube
Pros: Nice new blue discatchers.
Practice basket.
Lots of non-disc golf activities at park
just 5 miles from Surfside Walmart. Only 17 minute drive from my beachside hotel.
holes 7 and 15 were acceptable holes.
Cons: This is the worst 18 hole course I have ever played. nearly no signage, no tees, no flow, no navigational aids, and back nine is appauling:
1. was a short hole with no clear tee.
2. black mat as a tee, basket tucked blindly into the trees with fence on right.
3. blank sign just said "hole 3 par 3" no other info.
4. Someone drew flight paths on the blank sign. Narrow, but fair 300 foot hole.
5. Basket is missing. Their is a stick with a Pepsi can stuck in the anchor. I was not he only one who had trouble finding 5's tee.
"You need better signage please, could not find 5 or 6's tees. Thank you- Pittsburg, PA"
was written on 7's tee sign.
8's sign was degraded and the hole was not obvious to find. There was little to no fairway.
9 was tight right off the tee then opens up to an average hold.
I never found tees for 10 or 11, but I did find the baskets and made an educated guess. I back tracked down a path to the right of basket 11, looking for 11's tee and stumbled upon the tee for 12, which was just a 12 spray painted on a tree. 12 was possibly the single worst designed hole I have ever seen. you stand on the tee stairing at a wall of trees and over grown grass. There is a small trail to the right which is supposed to be the fairway, but there is no logical rhyme or reason to this hole. After 12 you have to wander down a trail on the right. eventually you will bump into basket 13. Look back from basket 13 and you will see no tee, no clear fairway or possibility of a fairway. After 13 you walk down a narrow path that is only 5 feet wide in some areas and realize this is the fairway for 14. It is very narrow with no tee. After 14 turn left or you will wander the woods for a while. 15 is a tunnel shot. One of the few acceptable holes on the course.
16 was no where to be found. I thought I found it and played from a bridge to a basket. The basket was 17. There was no visable tee area for 17. I then searched for 10 minutes and never found a tee or basket for 18.

The practice basket is against a fence so you can only shoot at it from one side. Just shows the thought process of the "designers"
Other Thoughts: Individual hole rating:
1 below average, 2 below average, 3. average, 4 average, 5 missing basket, 6 below average, 7 average, 8 below average, 9 below average, 10. below average. 11 below average, 12 HORRIBLE, 13 bad, 14, bad, 15. average, 16 WHERE IS IT? 17. Safari, below average, 18. WHERE IS IT?

I left wondering why anyone would leave the beach to play this course. I have played over 170 courses and am confident that this is the worst 18 holer I have ever played. Not even tee signs and large concrete tees can save this course. There is no signs of improvement or work, just signs of neglect.
Seriously, don't waste your time. I will upload pictures and videos to show how rough this course is.