Myrtle Beach, SC
Socastee Rec. Park Share
Uploaded By: Hindenburg Hole #6 (Taken 3/2012)
-- / --   3 / 275ft.   3 / 275ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3
A Solid Start

1    8/5/2014   8/6/2014
Review By: amryan11
Pros: -wooded shots with some real technical challenge
-mixture of hole lengths
-some signage
-intelligent use of the space, with very few holes placed without thought
-fairway vegetation seems pretty well maintained
-not too far out for anyone vacationing in Myrtle Beach
-not crowded at all
-nice new baskets
Cons: -signage missing in some locations and lacking in all
-tees are mostly gravel, some are better than others
-vegetation off the fairway could be pretty snarly
-during my visit, lots of standing water
-decent amount of bugs
Other Thoughts: This is a solid course and a good start for the Myrtle Beach area. The holes were interesting and provided technical challenge without being extremely difficult most of the time. The vegetation generally was not a problem unless you strayed from the fairway, and in that case I mostly expect as much. When I was there, there was a considerable amount of standing water. This with the humidity makes for some bugs which weren't so nice, but you're in the middle of the woods. You have to be fairly tolerant of spiders to get through all the paths. In my opinion, this course makes great use of the beautiful forests I see all throughout South Carolina. One of the greatest indicators for me of a well-done course is one that makes use of the unique landscape of the area, whatever that may be.

My biggest gripe would be the signage- some holes had signs left over from a tournament in January 2014 but some of these are gone and the ones that are still around only give a hole number, length, and par. There is no map of the hole or permanent sign. Such improvements would be a great addition to this course. Navigation was fairly intuitive but not completely clear at some points, so a map online or near the course entrance would be an improvement as well. Also, the tees were mostly gravel, but at least were pretty uniform for most holes. There was at least one hole that because of lack of signage and clear tees I wasn't sure where to begin.

The flip side of this is that all of the baskets were pristine. Some elevation or added length could really make this course exciting, but I think with the space allotted a good course was assembled. For me, it is good, but not quite great. If you are in the area, it is absolutely worth trying out, especially since there isn't a ton else really close.

There's Rough...and Then There's ROUGH

2-4    3/6/2014   3/6/2014
Review By: mrclc
Pros: Socastee Recreational Park is basically the only 18 hole option for disc golf in the Myrtle Beach area, and features a variety of generally well-designed holes ranging from 137 to 760 feet from the white tees. This course is clearly designed to be difficult, and it largely succeeds in walking the fine line between challenge and frustration. Most holes play in an "open woods" style, featuring light to medium obstacles in the fairway, with heavy rough (more on that below). This style is a hallmark of many beloved courses, and Socastee wears it well.

Navigation is fairly intuitive with some diverging paths, but following the one more traveled puts you at the correct hole with relative ease. When I played, temporary tee signs were still in place from a recent tournament, giving what seemed to be accurate hole lengths. A permanent installation of signs with this feature would benefit the course greatly.

All 18 holes play to newer blue Innova baskets that show no signs of wear, vandalism, or other disrepair.
Cons: The bugs have been talked about at length by other reviewers, but I played my rounds in the cold, so I can't speak to that. I can mention the disc- and player-eating rough, which makes any recovery shot a cruel misadventure. From a strategic standpoint, it is the most difficult rough I've ever encountered. Like most rec players, I'm typically of a "play it as it lies" mindset, but there were multiple times I had to give myself an OB penalty because it was better than a tomahawk attempt through the overgrown wilderness. Players should watch for occasional thorns, and watch their step as holes are often obscured by ground cover.

Some of the par 4 & 5 holes (chiefly 13 & 16) seem to be simply mowed out of the woods with no fairway obstacles until the approach shot. I had enough trouble keeping my discs out of the aforementioned rough, but this design element got rather tiresome after a while. I'm personally not a fan of length for the sake of length, and in my opinion almost all long holes at Socastee fit this bill.

Tee pads are natural, and are a type of thick sand. Okay for a forehander like me who only needs a limited run-up, but may be difficult to use for backhand players.

Many holes contained a lot of debris, both natural and manmade (the Hole 5 boat!). While this doesn't make the course feel trashy per se, it certainly doesn't give off a well-manicured vibe. Many lies can be a difficult play for those in tennis shoes because of the natural debris (downed limbs, trees, earthy low spots, exposed roots).
Other Thoughts: If you're vacationing in Myrtle Beach and can't travel as far as Wilmington or Charleston, this is about all you've got in the way of serious disc golf. Luckily, it's not too bad of a course to be stuck with. Although it can be difficult to the point of frustration due to the jungle-thick rough, it's still a round of disc that requires thought and strategy to often satisfying results.

Solid and Challenging

2-4    1/18/2014   1/20/2014
Review By: kmelton
Pros: A challenging mix of short tight holes, to defined fairway par 4's and 5's, to placement par 4's, with a sprinkling of moderately open shots. This course makes you play disc golf like you are supposed to. You have to throw straight when you have to, you have to know how to scramble out of the woods on a bad shot, you must have a flex shot to get a birdie, I used flicks, hyzer flips, rollers, thumbers, and flex shots. The tee pads of crushed gravel are more preferable for me because it allows me to turn my foot easier which makes it easier on my knee when I throw backhand. I played right before a tournament, so signs were up for distances, hole numbers, and next tee: navigation was easy. Some short tees were in place--looked like more might be on the way. Didn't look like anyone used the "nature trail" that winds around near a few holes on the front 9-- so the course is exclusive to DG.
Cons: I played in cold weather, but I could see a bug problem emerging in the warmer months. Standing water can be a problem both for playing/walking around it and for mosquitos. Sure there could be some benches on some more holes but the only time a sit down when I play is during a tournament, and even then I don't like to sit much--might be a drawback for some. Not a good course to bring your girlfriend/wife/kid/first-timer: not too beginner friendly--some true par 4's and 5's. They still might have fun though. I could see how this course could be a haven for snakes when it gets warmer if the course is not maintained--high patches of grass. Like I said, I played in the winter when the fairways were clear of grass/weeds, it might be different come May.
Other Thoughts: Not too familiar with how safe the neighborhood is, but appeared be in a typical middle class area to me. RC track onsite with playground basketball courts could be a plus. Navigating and patiently waiting in MB traffic will test you. Most of the course feels isolated which I love. The junky boat on the side of hole #5 fairway could be fixed up, painted and utilized as a fun ornamentation for the hole--or just get rid of it. I imagine when the leaves come in, the course will get tighter but this course is definitely worth your time.

Difficult course, with lots of problems

2-4    1/11/2014   1/12/2014
Review By: jacetheace517
Pros: -The course is challenging. I like that.
-Basically every shot tests your accuracy
-Several legit par 4 and 5's
Cons: -This course is borderline dangerous. My first time on the course a partial tree fell on my ankle, then when I maneuvered around that, I put my foot into a sinkhole that was hidden.
-The teeboxes are some of the worst I've played. They are like a sand type mixture inside of a wooden frame. Problem is there's no way to really plant and pivot without slipping. At least for me. I may have pulled a muscle sliding around trying to get a decent run up.
-As has been said in other reviews. There is no tolerance for inaccuracy. 3 feet off of the fairway to either side and basically every hole will add at least 1 stroke to your score
Other Thoughts: Overall. I gave the course a passable. Because I had fun and it was challenging and I like that. But I was extremely frustrated by the tee "pads" and the unsafe footing randomly sprinkled throughout

Frolfing in the Hood, Yo.

1    10/3/2013   10/3/2013
Review By: Nemmers
This review was updated on 11/1/2013
Pros: - Nice variety of holes. Some were extremely narrow and some personified that Dixie Chicks song, "Wide Open Spaces."

- The course has a zero tolerance policy for errant shots. OB really means OB, and if you throw OB, you're going to acquire BO trying to find your disc in what my buddy termed "The Amazon." It's not just vanilla woods and your standard, run-of-the-mill bushes; it's straight up atmospheric Armageddon. The thorns, bugs, spider webs, blind turns are something straight out of a Harry Potter movie. The Dark Forest takes no prisoners. I'm pretty sure I saw Voldermort flogging the dolphin behind a tree on 16. However, this challenge improves your concentration and motivates you to make every shot count.

- Very little traffic.

- The antithesis of my wife, the baskets are very forgiving.

- Extremely challenging.

- Park is really nice and there's plenty for the smaller humans to do while they're waiting for you to finish your round. Lots of parking, too.
Cons: - No elevation (but this is sort-of understandable due to the proximity to the coast)

- No benches: The only things available to sit on were some very shady looking lawn chairs that made tee boxes look like a set location on The Walking Dead.

- Navigation can be tricky as the course layout could prove fairly ambiguous to first-timers.

- Huge spiders. Yeah. I hate spiders. "Stay out of the woods!", you say? That's like asking Congress to pass a budget.

- Many (if not most) tee boxes are not annotated as to where the basket is, how long the hole is, or what par is. This can be very frustrating for first-timers and people who don't play this course much.

- Looks a bit unkempt, as if the course woke up with bed head. Some holes feel as if you're playing a game with Laura Ingalls behind the little house on the prairie.

- Tee pads look like a bunch of floormats from a 1978 Dodge Dart stitched together.

- No topless Hooters girls frolicking along the #8 fairway.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this course will definitely test your accuracy and, if you're anything like me, your scavenger hunting skills. I would give it a 2.634, but I don't get that drop-down option with this browser.

Beginners will either find this course very discouraging or inspire them to go buy a lottery ticket. It's tough and could potentially give top-flight players a real run for their money. The drawback is presentation. It's like putting a pit-bull in a tux: It's tough and may severely injury your pride (and disc collection), but sometimes that's the only way you'll get a date to the ball. Problem is that this ball is held in Detroit and your date is ugly as shit.

Bottom Line: The course is worth playing, but more than likely won't end up in your favorites.

Challenging Course

2-4    9/1/2013   9/6/2013
Review By: Sarge Cal
Pros: I haven't been playing very long and this course offers many challenges. Some pros have issues with this course so if I can master Socastee...I can handle my own at any other course.
Cons: None to say. Still a work on progress and coming along great.
Other Thoughts: I know the person that currently maintains the course and has taken many considerations offered from these reviews. Will be an outstanding course!

Overrated

1    8/2/2013   8/13/2013
Review By: DiscGolfJason
Pros: Newer construction.
Cons: The time I went out to play this course with my girlfriend we had a horrible time. You are definitely going to have to play this course more than once to enjoy it. The conditions were miserable as it had been raining and you could literally see clouds of mosquito in the air. This being a forest course it helps take the edge off the heat but at the expense of mounds of insects. The holes are poorly marked and dont give you a sense of the course. You throw blind from a few tees which for me is a DG no-no. I hate to walk a hole to find the basket then walk back to throw it. Make sure you use a spotter or play close attention as losing a disc is easily possible.
Other Thoughts: Avoid unless you have time to play it twice or have a local guide. Not a vacation course by any means.

new course with a future

1    7/28/2013   7/30/2013
Review By: diskchucker
Pros: nice location, plenty of parking, nice layout, challenging, unique pin placement, Variety of holes.
Cons: Hardly any signage, however we were able to navigate using common sense. If more people would come out and support this course im sure it will become a great one. To my knowledge there are only a handful of folks playing as well as doing maintenance. Come on people lets get out there and support this course! 18 is very straight and tight do not do what i did and hook one off to the right lol. The thick woods and ridge are hard to navigate.
Other Thoughts: If I lived in the area I would love to help with the signage among other things. We all should give this course some play time as it will help get things going there. If you are in the myrtle beach area, you should give it a try.

Nice Course

1    7/11/2013   7/15/2013
Review By: cberney
Pros: I really liked this course, not too much walking, easy to find next tee pad. Has a great layout on the front 9 holes. Great technical course, must play for locals and tourists.
Cons: The back 9 holes too long, not easy to find next tee pads on some holes. Very wet on back nine.
Other Thoughts: Other reviews said they saw snakes. Didn't see any when I played, but a tick found me. So check everyone over when finished playing. I suggest playing the front 9 twice.

Snake heaven

1    6/9/2013   6/9/2013
Review By: jhargett71
Pros: Cool to have a course so close to the beach. Tee pad were good for sand. Needs more play. The layout was ok with pretty nice pin placements.
Cons: Between 2 groups we seen 7 copper head snakes on the first 7 holes. Not sure what can done about it but I stopped playing with my two sons because of snakes and bugs.
Other Thoughts: Keep up the work and it should break in nicely. Good luck with the snakes. Need to go on a head hunt.

< Prev 1 2 3