Myrtle Beach, SC
Socastee Rec. Park Share
Uploaded By: Hindenburg Hole #8 (Taken 3/2012)

Difficult course, with lots of problems

2-4    1/11/2014   1/12/2014
Review By: jacetheace517
Pros: -The course is challenging. I like that.
-Basically every shot tests your accuracy
-Several legit par 4 and 5's
Cons: -This course is borderline dangerous. My first time on the course a partial tree fell on my ankle, then when I maneuvered around that, I put my foot into a sinkhole that was hidden.
-The teeboxes are some of the worst I've played. They are like a sand type mixture inside of a wooden frame. Problem is there's no way to really plant and pivot without slipping. At least for me. I may have pulled a muscle sliding around trying to get a decent run up.
-As has been said in other reviews. There is no tolerance for inaccuracy. 3 feet off of the fairway to either side and basically every hole will add at least 1 stroke to your score
Other Thoughts: Overall. I gave the course a passable. Because I had fun and it was challenging and I like that. But I was extremely frustrated by the tee "pads" and the unsafe footing randomly sprinkled throughout

Frolfing in the Hood, Yo.

1    10/3/2013   10/3/2013
Review By: Nemmers
This review was updated on 11/1/2013
Pros: - Nice variety of holes. Some were extremely narrow and some personified that Dixie Chicks song, "Wide Open Spaces."

- The course has a zero tolerance policy for errant shots. OB really means OB, and if you throw OB, you're going to acquire BO trying to find your disc in what my buddy termed "The Amazon." It's not just vanilla woods and your standard, run-of-the-mill bushes; it's straight up atmospheric Armageddon. The thorns, bugs, spider webs, blind turns are something straight out of a Harry Potter movie. The Dark Forest takes no prisoners. I'm pretty sure I saw Voldermort flogging the dolphin behind a tree on 16. However, this challenge improves your concentration and motivates you to make every shot count.

- Very little traffic.

- The antithesis of my wife, the baskets are very forgiving.

- Extremely challenging.

- Park is really nice and there's plenty for the smaller humans to do while they're waiting for you to finish your round. Lots of parking, too.
Cons: - No elevation (but this is sort-of understandable due to the proximity to the coast)

- No benches: The only things available to sit on were some very shady looking lawn chairs that made tee boxes look like a set location on The Walking Dead.

- Navigation can be tricky as the course layout could prove fairly ambiguous to first-timers.

- Huge spiders. Yeah. I hate spiders. "Stay out of the woods!", you say? That's like asking Congress to pass a budget.

- Many (if not most) tee boxes are not annotated as to where the basket is, how long the hole is, or what par is. This can be very frustrating for first-timers and people who don't play this course much.

- Looks a bit unkempt, as if the course woke up with bed head. Some holes feel as if you're playing a game with Laura Ingalls behind the little house on the prairie.

- Tee pads look like a bunch of floormats from a 1978 Dodge Dart stitched together.

- No topless Hooters girls frolicking along the #8 fairway.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this course will definitely test your accuracy and, if you're anything like me, your scavenger hunting skills. I would give it a 2.634, but I don't get that drop-down option with this browser.

Beginners will either find this course very discouraging or inspire them to go buy a lottery ticket. It's tough and could potentially give top-flight players a real run for their money. The drawback is presentation. It's like putting a pit-bull in a tux: It's tough and may severely injury your pride (and disc collection), but sometimes that's the only way you'll get a date to the ball. Problem is that this ball is held in Detroit and your date is ugly as shit.

Bottom Line: The course is worth playing, but more than likely won't end up in your favorites.

Challenging Course

2-4    9/1/2013   9/6/2013
Review By: Sarge Cal
Pros: I haven't been playing very long and this course offers many challenges. Some pros have issues with this course so if I can master Socastee...I can handle my own at any other course.
Cons: None to say. Still a work on progress and coming along great.
Other Thoughts: I know the person that currently maintains the course and has taken many considerations offered from these reviews. Will be an outstanding course!

Overrated

1    8/2/2013   8/13/2013
Review By: DiscGolfJason
Pros: Newer construction.
Cons: The time I went out to play this course with my girlfriend we had a horrible time. You are definitely going to have to play this course more than once to enjoy it. The conditions were miserable as it had been raining and you could literally see clouds of mosquito in the air. This being a forest course it helps take the edge off the heat but at the expense of mounds of insects. The holes are poorly marked and dont give you a sense of the course. You throw blind from a few tees which for me is a DG no-no. I hate to walk a hole to find the basket then walk back to throw it. Make sure you use a spotter or play close attention as losing a disc is easily possible.
Other Thoughts: Avoid unless you have time to play it twice or have a local guide. Not a vacation course by any means.

new course with a future

1    7/28/2013   7/30/2013
Review By: diskchucker
Pros: nice location, plenty of parking, nice layout, challenging, unique pin placement, Variety of holes.
Cons: Hardly any signage, however we were able to navigate using common sense. If more people would come out and support this course im sure it will become a great one. To my knowledge there are only a handful of folks playing as well as doing maintenance. Come on people lets get out there and support this course! 18 is very straight and tight do not do what i did and hook one off to the right lol. The thick woods and ridge are hard to navigate.
Other Thoughts: If I lived in the area I would love to help with the signage among other things. We all should give this course some play time as it will help get things going there. If you are in the myrtle beach area, you should give it a try.

Nice Course

1    7/11/2013   7/15/2013
Review By: cberney
Pros: I really liked this course, not too much walking, easy to find next tee pad. Has a great layout on the front 9 holes. Great technical course, must play for locals and tourists.
Cons: The back 9 holes too long, not easy to find next tee pads on some holes. Very wet on back nine.
Other Thoughts: Other reviews said they saw snakes. Didn't see any when I played, but a tick found me. So check everyone over when finished playing. I suggest playing the front 9 twice.

Snake heaven

1    6/9/2013   6/9/2013
Review By: jhargett71
Pros: Cool to have a course so close to the beach. Tee pad were good for sand. Needs more play. The layout was ok with pretty nice pin placements.
Cons: Between 2 groups we seen 7 copper head snakes on the first 7 holes. Not sure what can done about it but I stopped playing with my two sons because of snakes and bugs.
Other Thoughts: Keep up the work and it should break in nicely. Good luck with the snakes. Need to go on a head hunt.

Thank you for installing a course in MB!!!

2-4    5/1/2013   6/1/2013
Review By: filobedo
Pros: Most underrated course in SC as of April 2013. This is definately one of my favorite courses I have played and I have only played 3 rounds. This is how golf needs to evolve with par 3's, 4's and 5's. Favorite holes include

#3 - tight anhyzer for rhbh with basket tucked to the right for good chance at 2.
#4 - Very good tight technical hole with protected green straight up the middle with 2 routes to basket.
#12 - Very fun spike or long hyzer or thumber over trees for rhbh with a chance for 2
#13 - Signature hole I would think that is very long par 5 and technical that reminds of how some techinical holes at the IDGC and Charlotte are. Hole starts with a short placement shot drive then long narrow gap to the basket. You must stay on the fairway with for a Par and a 4 is phenominal for average players.
#14 great hole which is a long straight to anhyzer shot for rhbh with guarded green and basket tucked to right
#15 - Straight up the gut. Perfect Ace run hole straight down the middle but trouble on both the right and left
#16 - Very long hole with an open fairway from the tee that goes left and then a little back to the right for your second shot to a tight green
Cons: I hate to be negative and I am no course designer but my suggestions are,
#6 and #7- Very good holes but would like to see some trees cut for a little more fair chance for birdie.
#7 could possibly be the signature hole if cleared a little more in the right places.
#10 seems like a throwaway hole that could be improved if the tee was moved a little closer and to the left and the basket back.
#11 - The trees in the middle of the fairway could be trimmed at the ditch to allow a lower anhyzer to penetrate the green for RHBH.
Also, I played the week the teepads were installed and had trouble with footing because they seemed similar to sand. I like the rubber kitchen mats more that I play on them like at Grand Central Station, Kure Beach and Sewee Outpost which could be a good add to the existing tee pads.
Other Thoughts: This course will just get better and better and the local Club appears to be going in the right direction but is small and it sounds like another course is in the works in the MB area. Hopefully they will maintain this course the way it currently is. Go to the Grand Strand DG or Myrtle Beach Facebook page to find a local to meet and guide you through the course if you have never been there. Also, disregard any negative reviews prior to March or April 2013. I played this course in March 2012 and I had the same negative thoughts on the course due to the lack of fairways and I could not find any holes after #11. The local Club is also in its infancy but a few members are well known dgers in the Southeast and the World who understand what makes a great course.

Almost There (Stay on Target)

1    5/24/2013   5/28/2013
Review By: Toro71
Pros: I'm not a local, but, I'd like to welcome legit disc golf to the Myrtle Beach area.

- Design: I found this to be an interesting, well thought out track. Front 9 is short, technical, requiring placement over heroics. The back 9 features a few holes that have some more open lines/options off the tee, and some chances to air it out with drivers. The only design element really lacking is elevation changes--to be expected from a low country course. Generally speaking, you're going to need to play golf rather than murder this layout with power. As such, even though it's a challenging, blue level course, you don't need 450 ft drives to score. Considering it's a multi-use park, only on 18 is there any chance at all of throwing into other park goers. I found the fun-factor to be pretty high.

--Difficulty: It's a challenging course, but I felt like the difficulty level was very consistent throughout, for the most part. The really tight lines on the front were shorter holes, and parred such that you can take the holes one bite at a time. The longer stuff on the back nine had fairly generous lines.

- Navigation: judging from earlier reviews, I'd say there's been vast improvement here. Both the basket locations/fairways, and transitions between holes were intuitive, and playing it blind with no course map or tee signs was no problem. I had to recon a number of pole locations, but the baskets were generally right where they seemed like they should be, and I had almost no problem finding the next tees. All the pads were numbered.

- Drainage: always a concern with low country courses, it seems like this is not much of a problem. I played it the morning after a heavy, I'm talking monsoon-type rain. There was some standing water in spots, some from the heavy equipment used for cutting, but it was pretty dry, considering. Ironically, the roughness due to recent cutting/chipping was like mulch, and may have helped some of the damp spots.

- New blue Discatchers, practice basket right by first tee and entrance to park.

- The Park: ...is pretty awesome. Playground, basketball, tennis, "beach" volleyball, lacrosse, soccer, even a little BMX track for the kids, vending machine(s). No reason why the whole fam damly can't have a blast out there. Pretty easy to get to from Myrtle, Garden City, etc.

- Isolation: Given a large multi-use park, the course is almost totally isolated, with a nature trail feel. I think I was the only player on the course. I heard some chainsaws going, so maybe the designer/club guys were working out there, but I didn't come across them, which is too bad since they need a high five for this gem in progress.
Cons: Some of these are to be expected, and I don't ding my rating for all of these, but the player needs to know...

I don't remember any trash cans on the course, and while there's no benches, there are a few holes with improvised seating, camp chairs, one car seat. For me, fine for now, it wasn't brutally hot/humid, and it's flat. I don't doubt this will be handled in due time.

Tee pads: I'm sort of 50-50 on them. They're framed and filled with crushed gravel/aggregate. There are only a few tee shots where I really missed concrete, and for me maintenance of these type of pads is the big concern...the designers/local dudes could check out what they have at Grand Central Station in the upstate to improve consistent footing, as an alternative to pouring crete, though my suspicion is that concrete pads will happen eventually...?

--Signage: again, no doubt tee signs/hole maps likely in the plans. Each tee is clearly numbered, and even without next tee signs, I had no trouble navigating. Recent rerouting seems to have occurred, since 8 plays to a basket numbered 9, and vice versa, which messed me up for a minute, but its so obvious how its supposed to flow, it was a minor ding.

--Growing pains. It's a new course, and some of the holes have been recently cut, and it shows. Bit rough around the edges, so to speak. I'm used to it, and it didn't detract from my enjoyment, my suggestion is, do the folks a solid, and toss some sticks etc off the fairway around your lie(s). Those of not so certain footing will have some tripping issues until this course gets some traffic.

--"Wildlife": earlier reviews mentioned snakes, I saw none, but the skeeters were pretty rampant. It's the low country. Bring your favorite bug spray.

-- Holes 1-3 are problematic. 1's not rancid, but it's just too short for the course, bit of a par 2 type deal. 2 has the possibility of either playing into 3 tee, or missing right, over a fence into the road. Not much traffic, it ends at the park entrance, but you'll have to hop it, meaning the fence, or double back and go around if you shank right. In say a tourney situation, 3's tee will be in a danger zone from 2's tee.

--I suppose the argument could be made that, for the first legit 18 hole course in the area, this course is "too tough". It's right where I'm at, so to speak, but not really beginner friendly.

--Repetitive?: For some, the front side may seem so. I found the shot requirements to be subtly different from hole to hole, but I didn't pull out any drivers until 10 I don't think. i like having to "play golf" like that, but I suppose, again, that this argument could be made at this point.

--for the front 9 especially, I'm guessing that there will always be debates about leaving vs removing this tree or that. It's the age old thing. What one player finds fair, the next may find gimmicky. I come from a town that has a lot of courses like this one, so I had no beef, but expect to hit a tree now and then even on very good shots.

--Lost precious potential: new course, the rough is rough, especially on the back 9. There are spots where I was reluctant to go in after errant throws. I came away with the bag intact...barely.

--Standing water: Though far better than I anticipated, there were some spots where big puddles were a bit of an issue, and I suspect that with the rain the area will inevitably get, that this could be a bummer for the less adventurous/high-polish junkies.
Other Thoughts: My extended family takes a big beach vacation every year, and it moves around periodically to accommodate everyone's travel. When this year's was to Garden City, I was at first a bit distraught, knowing that, though the area is renowned as a ball golf destination, there hasn't been great discing here...then I saw this course on this website. The early reviews were consistent with a brand new course with basically just the baskets in the ground, so I was hesitant to try it, and only got out there the last full day I was in town...my only regret.

I started playing 3 yrs ago, in Charlotte, just as CDGC was getting ready for worlds. So, I'm used to "diamonds in the rough" courses that have the new course issues. For me, Socastee has some tweaking left to do, but is entirely playable, offers good variety, and is a blast to get around. If you require "finished" to enjoy a round, may want to give the locals time to get there, but IMO, you're missing out if you settle for only a round or two at Tupelo Bay. This is no doubt a championship caliber course in the making. If you're in the area, do yourself a favor, suck it up w/r/t the work in progress aspect, and give this track a go.

5+    5/11/2013   5/18/2013
Review By: DNewq
Pros: - A lot of passion and hard work has gone into designing and prepping this course. It took a little while, but once they got momentum going this course came together nicely. It is great to play as is, but will only get better with a info kiosk, benches, hole distances, etc.
- I expect this course to be the model course for the region, which has been slow to grow the disc golf scene.
- The park has tons going on all the time, which makes it a lot of fun. Disc Golf is one of many activities there, you could easily spend a whole day if you brought lunch, a basketball or soccer ball, etc.
- Course has a nice variety of hole layouts and distances.
Cons: - There are rumors to be snakes on the course, I have yet to encounter one, but be on the lookout.
- The brush can be thick off the fairway. I have lost 2 discs, one I thought for sure I would recover, but had to walk away.
- I was nervous that the course could get grown in during summer season, but so far that does not seem to be a problem.
Other Thoughts: - It really turned out to be a top notch course. A nice mix of par 3s, 4s, and 5s. There are a few OBs, which add some good touch on a few holes. I am glad there are no mandos, we'll see if they ever include any.
- The park itself has all the amenities to make it a good tournament site. They had one last weekend sponsored by Dynamic Disc. Modest turnout, need to get the word out at how great this course is. See for yourself.