Myrtle Beach, SC
Socastee Rec. Park Share
Uploaded By: Hindenburg Hole #11 (Taken 3/2012)
-- / --   3 / 385ft.   3 / 385ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #11 Approach

Nice Course

1    7/11/2013   7/15/2013
Review By: cberney
Pros: I really liked this course, not too much walking, easy to find next tee pad. Has a great layout on the front 9 holes. Great technical course, must play for locals and tourists.
Cons: The back 9 holes too long, not easy to find next tee pads on some holes. Very wet on back nine.
Other Thoughts: Other reviews said they saw snakes. Didn't see any when I played, but a tick found me. So check everyone over when finished playing. I suggest playing the front 9 twice.

Snake heaven

1    6/9/2013   6/9/2013
Review By: jhargett71
Pros: Cool to have a course so close to the beach. Tee pad were good for sand. Needs more play. The layout was ok with pretty nice pin placements.
Cons: Between 2 groups we seen 7 copper head snakes on the first 7 holes. Not sure what can done about it but I stopped playing with my two sons because of snakes and bugs.
Other Thoughts: Keep up the work and it should break in nicely. Good luck with the snakes. Need to go on a head hunt.

Thank you for installing a course in MB!!!

2-4    5/1/2013   6/1/2013
Review By: filobedo
Pros: Most underrated course in SC as of April 2013. This is definately one of my favorite courses I have played and I have only played 3 rounds. This is how golf needs to evolve with par 3's, 4's and 5's. Favorite holes include

#3 - tight anhyzer for rhbh with basket tucked to the right for good chance at 2.
#4 - Very good tight technical hole with protected green straight up the middle with 2 routes to basket.
#12 - Very fun spike or long hyzer or thumber over trees for rhbh with a chance for 2
#13 - Signature hole I would think that is very long par 5 and technical that reminds of how some techinical holes at the IDGC and Charlotte are. Hole starts with a short placement shot drive then long narrow gap to the basket. You must stay on the fairway with for a Par and a 4 is phenominal for average players.
#14 great hole which is a long straight to anhyzer shot for rhbh with guarded green and basket tucked to right
#15 - Straight up the gut. Perfect Ace run hole straight down the middle but trouble on both the right and left
#16 - Very long hole with an open fairway from the tee that goes left and then a little back to the right for your second shot to a tight green
Cons: I hate to be negative and I am no course designer but my suggestions are,
#6 and #7- Very good holes but would like to see some trees cut for a little more fair chance for birdie.
#7 could possibly be the signature hole if cleared a little more in the right places.
#10 seems like a throwaway hole that could be improved if the tee was moved a little closer and to the left and the basket back.
#11 - The trees in the middle of the fairway could be trimmed at the ditch to allow a lower anhyzer to penetrate the green for RHBH.
Also, I played the week the teepads were installed and had trouble with footing because they seemed similar to sand. I like the rubber kitchen mats more that I play on them like at Grand Central Station, Kure Beach and Sewee Outpost which could be a good add to the existing tee pads.
Other Thoughts: This course will just get better and better and the local Club appears to be going in the right direction but is small and it sounds like another course is in the works in the MB area. Hopefully they will maintain this course the way it currently is. Go to the Grand Strand DG or Myrtle Beach Facebook page to find a local to meet and guide you through the course if you have never been there. Also, disregard any negative reviews prior to March or April 2013. I played this course in March 2012 and I had the same negative thoughts on the course due to the lack of fairways and I could not find any holes after #11. The local Club is also in its infancy but a few members are well known dgers in the Southeast and the World who understand what makes a great course.

Almost There (Stay on Target)

1    5/24/2013   5/28/2013
Review By: Toro71
Pros: I'm not a local, but, I'd like to welcome legit disc golf to the Myrtle Beach area.

- Design: I found this to be an interesting, well thought out track. Front 9 is short, technical, requiring placement over heroics. The back 9 features a few holes that have some more open lines/options off the tee, and some chances to air it out with drivers. The only design element really lacking is elevation changes--to be expected from a low country course. Generally speaking, you're going to need to play golf rather than murder this layout with power. As such, even though it's a challenging, blue level course, you don't need 450 ft drives to score. Considering it's a multi-use park, only on 18 is there any chance at all of throwing into other park goers. I found the fun-factor to be pretty high.

--Difficulty: It's a challenging course, but I felt like the difficulty level was very consistent throughout, for the most part. The really tight lines on the front were shorter holes, and parred such that you can take the holes one bite at a time. The longer stuff on the back nine had fairly generous lines.

- Navigation: judging from earlier reviews, I'd say there's been vast improvement here. Both the basket locations/fairways, and transitions between holes were intuitive, and playing it blind with no course map or tee signs was no problem. I had to recon a number of pole locations, but the baskets were generally right where they seemed like they should be, and I had almost no problem finding the next tees. All the pads were numbered.

- Drainage: always a concern with low country courses, it seems like this is not much of a problem. I played it the morning after a heavy, I'm talking monsoon-type rain. There was some standing water in spots, some from the heavy equipment used for cutting, but it was pretty dry, considering. Ironically, the roughness due to recent cutting/chipping was like mulch, and may have helped some of the damp spots.

- New blue Discatchers, practice basket right by first tee and entrance to park.

- The Park: ...is pretty awesome. Playground, basketball, tennis, "beach" volleyball, lacrosse, soccer, even a little BMX track for the kids, vending machine(s). No reason why the whole fam damly can't have a blast out there. Pretty easy to get to from Myrtle, Garden City, etc.

- Isolation: Given a large multi-use park, the course is almost totally isolated, with a nature trail feel. I think I was the only player on the course. I heard some chainsaws going, so maybe the designer/club guys were working out there, but I didn't come across them, which is too bad since they need a high five for this gem in progress.
Cons: Some of these are to be expected, and I don't ding my rating for all of these, but the player needs to know...

I don't remember any trash cans on the course, and while there's no benches, there are a few holes with improvised seating, camp chairs, one car seat. For me, fine for now, it wasn't brutally hot/humid, and it's flat. I don't doubt this will be handled in due time.

Tee pads: I'm sort of 50-50 on them. They're framed and filled with crushed gravel/aggregate. There are only a few tee shots where I really missed concrete, and for me maintenance of these type of pads is the big concern...the designers/local dudes could check out what they have at Grand Central Station in the upstate to improve consistent footing, as an alternative to pouring crete, though my suspicion is that concrete pads will happen eventually...?

--Signage: again, no doubt tee signs/hole maps likely in the plans. Each tee is clearly numbered, and even without next tee signs, I had no trouble navigating. Recent rerouting seems to have occurred, since 8 plays to a basket numbered 9, and vice versa, which messed me up for a minute, but its so obvious how its supposed to flow, it was a minor ding.

--Growing pains. It's a new course, and some of the holes have been recently cut, and it shows. Bit rough around the edges, so to speak. I'm used to it, and it didn't detract from my enjoyment, my suggestion is, do the folks a solid, and toss some sticks etc off the fairway around your lie(s). Those of not so certain footing will have some tripping issues until this course gets some traffic.

--"Wildlife": earlier reviews mentioned snakes, I saw none, but the skeeters were pretty rampant. It's the low country. Bring your favorite bug spray.

-- Holes 1-3 are problematic. 1's not rancid, but it's just too short for the course, bit of a par 2 type deal. 2 has the possibility of either playing into 3 tee, or missing right, over a fence into the road. Not much traffic, it ends at the park entrance, but you'll have to hop it, meaning the fence, or double back and go around if you shank right. In say a tourney situation, 3's tee will be in a danger zone from 2's tee.

--I suppose the argument could be made that, for the first legit 18 hole course in the area, this course is "too tough". It's right where I'm at, so to speak, but not really beginner friendly.

--Repetitive?: For some, the front side may seem so. I found the shot requirements to be subtly different from hole to hole, but I didn't pull out any drivers until 10 I don't think. i like having to "play golf" like that, but I suppose, again, that this argument could be made at this point.

--for the front 9 especially, I'm guessing that there will always be debates about leaving vs removing this tree or that. It's the age old thing. What one player finds fair, the next may find gimmicky. I come from a town that has a lot of courses like this one, so I had no beef, but expect to hit a tree now and then even on very good shots.

--Lost precious potential: new course, the rough is rough, especially on the back 9. There are spots where I was reluctant to go in after errant throws. I came away with the bag intact...barely.

--Standing water: Though far better than I anticipated, there were some spots where big puddles were a bit of an issue, and I suspect that with the rain the area will inevitably get, that this could be a bummer for the less adventurous/high-polish junkies.
Other Thoughts: My extended family takes a big beach vacation every year, and it moves around periodically to accommodate everyone's travel. When this year's was to Garden City, I was at first a bit distraught, knowing that, though the area is renowned as a ball golf destination, there hasn't been great discing here...then I saw this course on this website. The early reviews were consistent with a brand new course with basically just the baskets in the ground, so I was hesitant to try it, and only got out there the last full day I was in town...my only regret.

I started playing 3 yrs ago, in Charlotte, just as CDGC was getting ready for worlds. So, I'm used to "diamonds in the rough" courses that have the new course issues. For me, Socastee has some tweaking left to do, but is entirely playable, offers good variety, and is a blast to get around. If you require "finished" to enjoy a round, may want to give the locals time to get there, but IMO, you're missing out if you settle for only a round or two at Tupelo Bay. This is no doubt a championship caliber course in the making. If you're in the area, do yourself a favor, suck it up w/r/t the work in progress aspect, and give this track a go.

5+    5/11/2013   5/18/2013
Review By: DNewq
Pros: - A lot of passion and hard work has gone into designing and prepping this course. It took a little while, but once they got momentum going this course came together nicely. It is great to play as is, but will only get better with a info kiosk, benches, hole distances, etc.
- I expect this course to be the model course for the region, which has been slow to grow the disc golf scene.
- The park has tons going on all the time, which makes it a lot of fun. Disc Golf is one of many activities there, you could easily spend a whole day if you brought lunch, a basketball or soccer ball, etc.
- Course has a nice variety of hole layouts and distances.
Cons: - There are rumors to be snakes on the course, I have yet to encounter one, but be on the lookout.
- The brush can be thick off the fairway. I have lost 2 discs, one I thought for sure I would recover, but had to walk away.
- I was nervous that the course could get grown in during summer season, but so far that does not seem to be a problem.
Other Thoughts: - It really turned out to be a top notch course. A nice mix of par 3s, 4s, and 5s. There are a few OBs, which add some good touch on a few holes. I am glad there are no mandos, we'll see if they ever include any.
- The park itself has all the amenities to make it a good tournament site. They had one last weekend sponsored by Dynamic Disc. Modest turnout, need to get the word out at how great this course is. See for yourself.

1    5/7/2013   5/8/2013
Review By: Happyhacker
Pros: All holes now have crushed gravel tee boxes.
Though wooded, there are nice throwing lanes on most holes. (ignore earlier complaints about too many trees. It's obvious that heavy equipment was brought in to remove trees and brush)
Course has fun layout! Next time I'm in MB I will look forward to playing it and seeing the changes.
Cons: It had rained the day we played it and the heavy equipment had left ruts which filled with water. First timers could still use some help finding the next tee box on some holes. Still quite a bit to trip on. Foot traffic will help to break down sticks and roots. Would love signage indicating where baskets are and the par on each hole.
Other Thoughts: Many thanks to all those who are obviously working hard on this course! Although not there yet. It is moving toward becoming a challenging and fun course.

Huge Improvement! Course is meeting its high potential

5+    5/6/2013   5/6/2013
Review By: Khersh
Pros: A wide variety of twists and turns along with narrow straight shots and long holes. Requires a variety of shots.This course is challenging and my opinion, the best course anywhere near the area. We have been working on improving this course for a while and it is near completion. All holes have been play-ready for a few months now and we have just finished putting in the gravel tee pads.
Cons: Lots of snakes.
Lots of roots to trip over.
There is still some minor work that needs done but mainly just for cosmetics.
Other Thoughts: All holes are finished. As of now we have the par set at 64.

Great New Course!!!

2-4    4/26/2013   4/29/2013
Review By: elsteveo30
Pros: I agree with BobRob, the course is a great mix of long & short holes as well as open and wooded. The course is obviously in it infancy, but is coming along very nicely! There is no water hazards where you can loss a disc which is always nice!
Cons: No permanent cons that I can think of! Tee pads are being worked on and will be completed in the near future. Tee signs and hole distances don't exist at the moment, but I'm sure they will appear sooner or later. There are some directional arrows on the front 9, back 9 doesn't have them yet. Score card and course map also don't exist, but will be created in time! All these things I mentioned aren't really cons about the course, just luxuries that I'm sure will come in time!
Other Thoughts: We played the course 3 times in a 2 day period, same as BobRob. We really enjoyed it and felt it was a great challenge! My score improved each round 74, 70, and 66. I would think the course par is somewhere around 60? Don't listen to earlier reviews that just complain about petty stuff. I Definitely recommend this course as a must visit if you are in the Myrtle Beach area!

Great time

2-4    4/20/2013   4/24/2013
Review By: BobRob
Pros: The course is a good mix or long and short hole as well as open and wooded holes. The group of guys out there are putting a lot of work into the course and were working on the course when I showed up to play. They have formed up the tee boxes and hope to have them complete soon.
Cons: The only thing I could think of is the course needs more foot traffic to help beat down some of the thick rough areas.
Other Thoughts: This is a new course and a lot of work has already gone into it. I played the course 3 times over 2 days and really enjoyed it. I reviewed what others wrote about the course and was very disappointed in the low negative ratings giving. Its a brand NEW course what do you expect. I have played many many courses in NC, SC, TN, FL and TX and can see this course as a top course in the next couple of years. The group are working on tees, signs and the park seems very willing to allow the to do whatever they need. I recommend you go play this course and help to improve it

Coming along nicely

2-4    3/16/2013   3/22/2013
Review By: chrisjbarr
Pros: Long holes. Only wooded course in the area. Not crowded
Cons: Still needs signage, but myself and some others have put up some directional signs at each hole. Kudos to the guys building this course, it is much needed around here and much appreciated.