Myrtle Beach, SC
Coastal Carolina (CCU) DGC Share
Uploaded By: TheHipstick Hole #2 (Taken 7/2015)

9 hole ace run!

1    7/18/2015   7/20/2015
Review By: TheHipstick
Pros: The title says it all! Very nice well maintained course. I was on vacation when I played the course, so I was able to get in and get out when playing. I was able play the course in 15 minutes.
Cons: Other than having some weeds in the a few of the tee boxes and one of the signs being knocked down there are no other cons.
Other Thoughts: Fun short little course if your on vacation. Not much variety but the cleanliness makes up for it.

Great Practice Course

1    7/19/2015   7/19/2015
Review By: beardlikeabe
This review was updated on 7/20/2015
Pros: I am on vacation with my family in Myrtle Beach and this was the first thing I did this morning @7am. The course is open from sun up to sun down and is an excellent practice course.

Simply put- you only need a mid-range disc and a putter to play hole 1-8. You MIGHT need a fairway driver (thrown at 3/4 speed) for the 9th hole. I used my mid-range and putter the entire time.

The course is absolutely beautiful and the baskets are excellent.
Cons: Its short and could use a little bit more diversity
Other Thoughts: If you are looking for a course to perfect your short game, approach shots and putting, this is the place to be. I wish I had a course like this near my house for the practice it would allow.

Putt-Putt!

1    6/6/2015   6/6/2015
Review By: nevets4433
This review was updated on 7/17/2015
Pros: Nice to see disc golf officially incorporated into the local university to grow the sport. The grounds of this course are impeccably maintained, far better than most short courses I have ever seen. Beautiful shrubs and flowers lined almost every hole.

Baskets were all gently-used Discatchers.

Tee boxes were ample and allowed far more runup than would be needed on most of these holes.

There was actualy fair variation in the shot types needed on this course, and a few ornamental trees actually became obstacles if the golfer missed in the wrong position.

This would be a great course to introduce a beginner, or for someone to come and play this one using SuperClass discs. I think SuperClass might make this one a lot more fun now that I think about it.

Most high level players will be able to easily birdie every hole, and have mostly unrestrained ace-runs if that is what you are looking for.

The tee signs here are really nice...far nicer than I would have expected from such a short course.
Cons: The obvious - most of these holes are well under 200 ft. I think the yardages on the signs may even be a bit generous. This is a complete pitch-and-putt. It was so short that I actually found it hard to get myself invested in the round. I can see where that would be nice for someone trying to sneak in a quick round in between classes though, so I suspect this course is filling exactly the role for which it was intended. I'm not sure if that is something that I can fault the course for.

I didn't enjoy the woodchip teeboxes. They were very uneven, so even if I had wanted to do a runup, I'm not sure if it would have been a very stable platform. Luckily a runup here isn't generally a necessity.
Other Thoughts: I am always supportive of schools setting up disc golf on their property, especially when they let outsiders come in and join in on the fun. I would have liked to have seen a bit more of the available terrain used in the making of this course so it could have a bit more challenge to it (there are stakes and flags out right now with hole signs, so as far as I know this might be happening in the near future...maybe a redesign or a back 9?).

Short and sometimes sweet

5+    4/4/2015   4/5/2015
Review By: chris.hill
Pros: Well maintained, easy access, never crowded. I have had a lot of fun on it.
Cons: Short. Not challenging unless you're creative. The course drains poorly, and after rain it gets sloshy and the tee boxes may even fill with water.
Other Thoughts: So this course is like a "pitch and putt" course, if you know what that means in real golf. All the holes are short (and usually 15-20' shorter than the tee signs say, if you pace it off). I play with an ultimate disc, not a golf disc, and I can reach every hole in one throw. Well, except 9 when the wind's against me. However, while you might dismiss it as "just for beginners or kids" you can actually have a lot of fun on it. Here are some things I do:

1) speed golf. I can play a round in under 4 minutes, as long as shoot pretty well (if you have to take three or four strokes on every hole you'll be at more like six minutes). Playing four or five rounds in a half hour is good exercise! Note that this is possible because the course is often empty.

2) Challenge your short game. Play every hole as a par 2. I have actually succeeded once in getting a 2 on every hole.

3) just tried this yesterday - skip holes! Turn it into a course more like other courses by teeing off from the first tee for the second basket. Then from the third tee for the fourth basket. So you play the holes in this order: 2-4-6-8-1-3-5-7-9. Now the holes are longer, and no longer straight shots. You have to be creative, go around things. They're still basically par 3 holes, but par 3s with some real challenges. Note - one hole, #7, becomes much shorter this way, about 50 feet! But only one, and you can make a rule that everyone has to play that one left handed and throw behind the back, or with their eyes closed, or just go for aces. (this also assumes the course is basically empty, but it often is).

good but small

1    3/20/2014   3/25/2014
Review By: SamuelCollins
Pros: -very good location right on 501
-the grounds are on the ccu campus so it is very well keep
-no water or another chance to lose disc
Cons: -Very short holes
-most baskets are located Very close to next Tee
Other Thoughts: Over all this is a nice little course. Very short and easy so any good player looking for a challenge should skip this one. On the other hand if you are looking to introduce someone to the sport or work on your short game this is the perfect course. It has a few obstacles and could have made better use of the land available.

Disc Golf Putt-Putt

2-4    3/6/2014   3/6/2014
Review By: mrclc
Pros: Coastal Carolina's on-campus disc golf course is located in a small landscaped section of a field just off of US-501. I've never played a disc golf course that looks like it was designed by a landscape artist, but this short little 9 hole has young trees and woodchips galore on this pristine little patch of land. Very thoughtfully maintained and manicured.

Because of its minimal length and solid Innova baskets, this would be the perfect course to teach children to play the game, practice your short game in a somewhat competitive setting, have an ace run, or set the world record for most holes played in a 24-hour period. Play this course for 30 minutes every day after class and you'll be the Phil Mickelson of disc before you know it.
Cons: This course is short enough to be designated disc putt-putt or disc mini-golf. You'll only need a putter and maybe a mid for this one. As a result, there's no opportunity to stretch your arm or even feel like you're doing anything other than killing time. A fairway obstacle or two would've helped make this a little more interesting and challenging, but you'll have a clear path to the basket every time in this complete openness.

Woodchip tees are loose and uncomfortable, but you won't be doing much of a run-up anyway, so the impact is negligible.

Almost all of the baskets are located extremely close to the next tee. Coupled with the length of the holes, and there could be some serious safety concerns. Luckily, the course seems like it's rarely crowded, but as a previous reviewer mentioned three's a crowd in this case.

Despite being on-campus, the course isn't particularly close to any academic buildings. Personally, I would use the course as a way to kill time between classes, but having to hoof it out to the field makes that a less likely prospect for students seeking a casual way to waste time.
Other Thoughts: Seriously, this course is very, very short. I finished four successive rounds in about 50 minutes while waiting for a basketball game to start at the HTC Center on the other side of campus. This course is a fun way to waste time, but nothing more.

Great beginner course

5+    9/6/2013   9/6/2013
Review By: Sarge Cal
Pros: Great beginner course. My short game and putting has improved drastically. Great for a quick game and to practice your throws with no chance of a disc getting lost.
Cons: Almost no obstacles. CCU decided to cut almost all the trees. Pins and tees are close together. Dangerous if more than a couple people playing at same time.
Other Thoughts: Greens beautifully kept as it is on campus. Great place to introduce someone to disc golf. Where I first played and now hooked.

1    8/19/2013   8/19/2013
Review By: fleeulrich
Pros: This course is really well maintained and easy to navigate. Very nice signage with hole # and distance noted.
Cons: Only nine holes most of them being really short. The longest hole on the course was only 258 feet. Out of 9 holes 6 of them are less than 200 feet. Tee pads consisted of wood chip mulch which can make for some loose footing, but not a real issue here being there really are no holes that call for the long bomb.
Other Thoughts: This course was in really good shape and you can tell it is well taken care of. A really experienced player will not find this course challenging at all.

It's Pretty Short

2-4    8/1/2013   8/13/2013
Review By: DiscGolfJason
Pros: Very well kept grounds.
Tons of available parking.
Right on Campus.
Great for beginners (like my GF).
Only takes 1 disc to play.
Cons: Very short holes.
Tees are mulched not concrete.
Can get flooded with decent amounts of rain.
Only 9 holes.
Other Thoughts: Lot of fun for a short course. Close to other course.

Pitch n Putt

2-4    7/25/2013   7/27/2013
Review By: wkelly42
Pros: The course wasn't crowded at all when I was there. Showed up on a Thursday evening and played 27 holes without seeing anybody there. This is a great place to work on your putting and short game. If you're at the beach with a bunch of non disc golfers, this will give you something to do while they are out shopping (there's an outlet center just up the road). VERY well maintained grounds.
Cons: SHORT. Nothing over 260 feet, so all I brought with me was a mid and two putters.

WIDE OPEN. I like some danger. I like playing wooded courses - I like playing in the woods. I like courses that penalize me when I throw a bad shot (maybe I'm a masochist). There was no risk on this course at all. It looks like it was laid out with a "ball golf" mentality -- short grass, few trees in the way, nicely manicured fairways. But no disc golf challenge here.

The layout is a bit of a problem too -- hole 1 starts nowhere near a parking lot -- I parked in what I thought was the closest lot to the course, and ended up starting on hole 7. It works, but I really think that they might want to consider renumbering the holes.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course to hit when the rest of your family is off doing something else that you don't want to do. It's great to bring kids to, it's great to introduce someone to the sport. But you need to remind them that not all courses are like this. You need to tell them about the trees that will jump out in front of your disc and knock it down, the slopes that will carry an errant putt 50 or 75 feet away. Tell them stories of the schule, and the water. Make them know that it isn't all as short and neat as this course.

I was disappointed with this course, to be honest. There is the potential to build a decent nine-hole course on the property, and it was missed. Just another example of an athletic facility at Coastal that has been done better by Liberty ;)