Saginaw, MI
Wickes Woods Share
Uploaded By: cedarvillian Hole #7 (Taken 5/2012)

Grand Scale with some issues

1    4/26/2014   4/26/2014
Review By: apdrvya
Pros: Aesthetic-- plays through woods and near a lake in a very large multi-use park. plays close to some other amenities at times. Plays over walking paths, near a baseball/softball field and through woods near hiking trails. Careful folks.

Teepads-- awesome, concrete. Proper size and in excellent repair.

Teesigns-- Excellent signs in excellent condition. very descriptive. Only confusion for me was #5 which lane to thrown down.

Baskets-- all there and in excellent condition. Bright orange necks aide in visibility in all aspects of this course.

Variety-- There is a TON of variety here. I especially liked #8 and #9 great little ace run bunker shot and a long bomber down the hill..

Heavily guarded baskets-- the approaches were ROUGH with all the trees. most pins were heavily heavily guarded meaning NO GIMMIES!!

Routing and nav--easy. next tee rocks were present in most cases and led you right to the next hole.
Cons: Amenities-- I completely agree with some others that there could be more benches and trash cans. there wasn't much trash but having a place to sit for a minute would be nice. This course is a bit of a hike.

Questionable design flaws-- #6 is a big question mark for me. and it looks like a giant question mark. Some of the holes in the woods are a bit repetitive. #5 was hard to know which lane to throw down. it's the left one FWIW.

Poison Ivy-- holy crap, there are more aerial vines here than I can count. If you see a hairy "tree" or vine, DO NOT TOUCH IT!!

Low lands-- I swear to god that they pick the lowest land for DG courses. this course is a bit wet, especially in the woods. #17 was one big mud puddle and it's a sweet looking hole!

The Lake-- there is absolutely no involvement with the lake. very disappionting.

Risk v Reward-- none really. just be conservative on the tighter holes and you'll be fine.

Danger-- playing close to baseball fields and over NUMEROUS walking paths seems to be a bit dangerous if you ask me.
Other Thoughts: I did have a blast playing this course. when I first stopped here in November, no baskets were in so I came back and I'm very happy that I did!

A few fixes would make this place pretty stellar.

Varied play- challenging

2-4    8/17/2013   8/18/2013
Review By: landon77
This review was updated on 10/6/2013
Pros: -challenging
-cement tees
-excellent baskets
-outstanding signs (some of the best I have seen)
-good variety of holes
-good distance and elevation changes
-dog friendly
-park has picnic areas, softball fields, and walking trails. Nice water ponds but they don't play on course.
-Very well designed course. I think the designers did a really good job. The course makes you think and play smart. It's not a grip it and rip it course.
Cons: -needs more benches
-needs more trash receptacles
-a bit rough (still new course). Woods will eat ur disc
Other Thoughts: -i liked this course it was very challenging had good variety and was fair. There was for the most part multiple lanes to choose from on most holes.
-Some of the wooded holes reminded me of idlewild and how narrow the lanes were. Any errant throw off a 195 foot hole will usually result in a bogey.
-I did not think it was very fun and therefore I wouldn't go out of my way to play it again.
-The course really plays to a lefty or right hand flip thrower. Lot's of anhyzers.
-woods were really rough and errant throws were costly.
-had some nice variance and allowed u to let loose ur cannon on a few holes
-conservative shot placements suggested for decent scores
-overall a good course. Nothing grand or epic stood out but it is well taken care of. Has a nice layout and flow and will give most disc golfers a challenge. Probably not the best course for families or novices

Wickes Woods

5+    8/26/2012   8/27/2012
Review By: Ice_Monster
Pros: This course offers quite a bit of diversity in shots, ranging from almost 180 degree horseshoes to straight shots, and most of the course is quite well kept. Most of the holes are wooded, while 5-11 are open shots, with 10 being the mando. A fun course overall.
Cons: Poor tree placement around the baskets, the designers almost tried making some of the wholes too much of a challenge, like the 6, with a tree directly in front of the tee. 11- do not have signs yet, and bring bug spray! the mosquitoes get pretty bad on the later holes.
Other Thoughts: league nights are on Monday after five, so it's quite hard to play if you're not looking to play with the leagues.

Great course

5+    8/17/2012   8/20/2012
Review By: jon33jon2003
Pros: Good, clean course with a decent amount of diversity. Good tees with good signage for most of the course. Easy to get from hole to hole. Does not eat discs.
Cons: Newer holes do not have signage. Not enough benches at tees. Occasional foot traffic on trails that run through course.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course, I really enjoy the layout and have never lost a disc even though I am a newbie. Wooded holes from 12 on are the most fun and challenging.

Great course in the making

1    7/28/2012   7/28/2012
Review By: ZdybelT
Pros: -signage is great.
-locals were very friendly in letting me pass (played alone) and helping me find my way around the course.
-hole variety and some elevation changes.
-very clean park.
-nice tee pads.
Cons: -needs directions onto where the first hole is. I ended up pakring by hole 8 and had to walk through to hole 1.
-some distances are incorrect on the signs.
-needs a few garbage bins.
Other Thoughts: This course was pretty decent once I found out where to begin. I enjoyed that this park was clean and cut nicely and it looked new aswell. You can tell the desginer really thought out the course layout of this park and it flows nicely and makes great use of the available land. I would love to come here again when it is 100% completed and will rerate it once I play it in the future.