Reedsville, WI
Rollin Ridge Share
Uploaded By: koogs Hole #17 (Taken 6/2012)

Great Course

1    10/22/2016   10/24/2016
Review By: Bitter Mouse
Pros: This was the destination course for our fall disc golf road trip and it lived up to the billing. I rate courses just on the course itself, and not the clubhouse or other amenities, but rest assured the amenities are plenty good.

I loved the variety of holes and the challenge of the course. It is not gimmicky, just straight up hard. We played long to long and as an intermediate level player it really made me step up my game.

Not a huge amount of elevation, but they used it well.
Cons: The back nine was not quite as fun as the front - a touch too much technical (through the trees) type holes, some of which you could count on hitting trees.

Also the water was used well, but if you put a disc in the pond you are not allowed to pull it out. I get why, but for a destination course it is hard to walk away from lost discs. That said the folks in the clubhouse did say they would contact us for our one lost disk.
Other Thoughts: Well worth the trip out there. I wish we had played through a second time (we went to another course instead).

Beautiful woods golf

1    10/16/2016   10/20/2016
Review By: Darkgreen
Pros: Three tees and three baskets for every hole is great. The baskets are different colors to mark longs, mediums, and shorts. Though the type of shot might not vary much from tee to tee on the same hole, the difficulty of that shot certainly will be different between tees. This makes this course accessible to a greater variety of skill levels. It should still be understood that the short tees to the short baskets isn't easy. It can still be a challenge for an advanced player. The teepads are in great shape, plenty big with a follow through pad across a fault line. The only time I had to think a little bit about my footing was on the bridge tee which was a little slick, and that wasn't too bad.

The golf plays pretty great (see cons). A couple of wide open rip into a drive type holes are a nice change of pace from the rest of the wooded course. The wooded golf is a fun challenge and some of the wooded holes even have some distance to them. Hit your line. Play smart. Rollin Ridge forces you to attempt to do all of these things, which is a hallmark of a great course. There will also almost assuredly be times where you will have to be proficient at scrambling. Really, this course challenges almost every part of a person's game. There isn't huge elevation change as in there are no big top of the world shots or shooting up a ski hill type shots, but significant elevation change most definitely comes into play on some holes.

No manufactured OB. A sign of good course design when you have trees to work with.

A beautiful setting as most of the course plays around and under many old growth trees. The clubhouse/bar is very welcoming. They have a nice selection of discs for being in a rural area. Lots of garbage cans if I remember correctly. Great tee signs. Benches on a lot of holes. Practice putting baskets out front. I especially liked the warm up batting cage type net for drives. I wish more courses had one of those.
Cons: As much as I enjoyed all of the amenities, the most important thing to me about a course is how it plays. On about half of the holes there are one, two, maybe a few trees that I would like to take out. A couple holes I think are poke and hope type holes. I am thinking of the dragon hole in particular. On some holes you can lace a drive down a tight but very fair tunnel only to be kicked off to the left or right by a tree that is in the middle of the fairway 300 feet away from the tee. I am used to playing technical northwoods golf but many of the holes at Rollin Ridge cross the line from technical to random punishment. I can understand why the owners might be hesitant to cut down trees as so much of the beauty and character of this course comes from its wooded scenery, but some holes just don't play well because of the luck factor involved.

Not a fan of the pyramid basket. They always seem unnecessary to me, but especially so on a challenging course such as this. You would be more beautiful without it, Rollin Ridge.
Other Thoughts: I hope to go back to Rollin Ridge. I had a great experience both times I played there.

It might get a little muddy in spots on the course but it really doesn't affect play or the fun time you will have, just be aware.

If you are visiting, give yourself enough time to play it twice.

1    9/2/2016   9/9/2016
Review By: dmsfun
Pros: I planned to camp overnight and get 2-3 rounds in, and had such a good time, ended up staying 4 days. There is wifi at the campsite also, so was was able to get some work done. Most courses have a mix of some great holes, with a few open, .uninteresting ones, but there aren't any filler holes at the ridge, all are fun and challenging, and lines can be very different from the 3 tees. Spotted Cow and many other varieties are served at the clubhouse bar for after rounds. Owners are very friendly and accommodating.
Cons: Some of my discs are a bit less stable than they were before playing 8 rounds here; as lumber hits are assured. Just one minor caveat with the campsite near the clubhouse, which is a bit noisy at night from the trucks on the Hwy. I plan to return again this fall, and will camp at the sites near 9 or 15, farther away from the road.

Unbelievable amenities

1    9/15/2015   9/21/2015
Review By: cydisc
Pros: - The amenities. On-site huge pro shop. Putting practice area. Driving 'range' (basically a batting cage). On-site camping.

- Private course. No conflicts with other park uses like you might have in a public park.

- Looping 9's layout. Holes 9 and 18 return you to the clubhouse, so you can reload on discs or beverages or have a bite to eat.

- Multiple tees and baskets on each hole.

- Logical flow. Short walks to the next tees from previous basket.

- Good variety. Good topography. Lots of trees and some water.

- Very good tee areas with benches landscaping. Some interesting elevated baskets.

- Clean. Not a speck of litter to be found.

- Fogging for mosquites.
Cons: - I wish there were more multi-shot holes (par 4's and 5's).
Other Thoughts: This is the poster child for pay-to-play disc golf. Nice wooded property and obviously a lot of work went into not only clearing fairways, but building the facilities into a 'country club' type of setting. The holes were challenging, yet fair. It's a full-service course, with a full pro shop with discs and accessories as well as food and beverages.

What I appreciated the most is the use of multiple baskets and tees on each hole. You essentially have 9 separate layouts to play, which means you're less likely to tire of playing and it can accommodate a wide range of player skills.

Above and beyond bonus points: This being in the woods of Wisconsin, I was armed with bug spray. However, not a mosquito was to be found, since the management fogs the course.

2-4    8/17/2015   9/8/2015
Review By: James McGirr
This review was updated on 9/13/2015
Pros: A great track of land.Almost can't believe some one put all this time and money into such a course. Some of the holes were magnifceint
Cons: As nice of a course I thought it was there were two or three heavily wooded holes to wear if there were gaps and alleyways to advance your disc I did not see it.If it were not for that. I would have rated the course at the highest level
Other Thoughts: A magnificeint place for disc golf.Parts of course are wooded and few holes are heavily wooded.The wooded parts are very playable a skilled player has a lot of workable space to play a shot in between the trees and toward the basket.

We are all made of stars.

1    6/10/2015   6/10/2015
Review By: apdrvya
This review was updated on 6/25/2015
Pros: Aesthetic-- area is 100% disc golf exclusive. You will NOT run into any non-discgolfers out here so just watch out for your fellow golfers.

Teepads-- 3 tees per hole (some shared), all concrete, all in great shape. The "foul line" could have been better notated (it may have been on the score card?) No complaints here.

Teesignage-- Tee sign at every pad showing all three basket positions. Teesigns appear to be a work in progress as they seem temporary.

Baskets-- 3 sets of baskets per hole. red, orange and black. The black baskets are a bit hard to pick out in the woods and are mostly blind (as they are the longest layout).

Routing and nav-- super easy. Next tee signs are abundant. I can't even think of a tricky spot.

Amenities-- what isn't here? Driving cage, pro-shop, bar, pool table, bathroom, shower, campground area, this place pretty much has everything to pamper the discgolfer before and after they are throwing.

Unique factor-- the man-made structures, the teeboxes built into the bridge, the bridges themselves all add to the unique factor. As I said under amenities, the disc golfer is well taken care of.

Water/ Risk/ Reward/ Challenge-- having 9 layouts the challenge factor here is whatever you want it to be. the water on the first two holes only adds to the risk v reward aspect of the course.

Multipin/ Multipad-- 9 layouts is insane to think about. but you can literally spend an entire week playing this course and not really run out of variations.

Upkeep/ on-course amenities-- the upkeep here is nice. Grass fairways are immaculate and there are garbages and benches at each hole/pad. Not much garbage around.
Cons: Drainage issues-- the low holes have serious spongy fairways that are way more than distracting. Not only are they unavoidable but they can almost take your shoe off if you're not careful.

Repetition-- there are some repetition issues here, mostly on the front 9. The back holes saved the day, in my opinion.

Hole 3-- I get it, a place to really open up your arm, however, it really kind of seemed out of place on this course. Everything else is more about placement and accuracy, to have a 500+ footer that is WIDE open seems a little uninspired.
Other Thoughts: So, I walked into the bar, flipped my Flip City mini on the bar and said, "whats up." All I got was a death glare.

In reviewing this course, I understand now why you can't really review based on amenities or the passion of the owner ( in the case of private courses) . I had a very hard time figuring out where my rating was going to land and went with a 4.5. This is truly a destination course in every sense of the word. You can pretty much live here for a while and disc your ass off.

This place may as well be a mega-resort for disc golf. Not all inclusive, but a resort exclusively for DG. I would say that this course breaks into the commercialism that can be anything as long as it's presented that way.

I will say that there were numerous HUGE groups of discgolfers on the course the day we were there but we never really ran into them. One of the biggest things I look for in a great course is the ability to get lost in my game and experience solitude while throwing. This is not really possible here with the huge groups and a lot of distraction.

the gold standard

1    8/10/2014   9/15/2014
Review By: dreadlock86
Pros: -wonderful piece of land with lots of woods, open space, and subtle rolling hills throughout the course
-three distinct sets of tees with appropriate challenges off the tee for a wide range of players and usually three pin locations per hole
-the gold standard for amenities: the best clubhouse you've seen, concrete tees, great signs, navigational aids, benches, wooden safety walls protecting the tees from other fairways, numerous bridges, 2 practice baskets, and a driving net
-a few water hazards (swamps) that come into play
-red baskets are easy to see in the woods
-pay to play, $5, and it clearly goes back into the course
Cons: -too many hyzer fairways, i think i only threw one anhyzer off the tee and it wasn't the required line
-the plastic signs were fine but i wasn't sure if the circled basket position was indeed the current one; not all of them had a circled position
-for me, this course really doesn't have any signature holes; maybe hole 2 or 18
Other Thoughts: Rollin Ridge sets the gold standard for amenities in a disc golf course. From the moment I pulled into the ample sized parking lot and saw the clubhouse, I knew this was going to be a stellar experience. There are two practice baskets and a driving net outside the clubhouse as well as a deck with several picnic tables and a fire pit. The clubhouse has a full disc shop, quality bathrooms, a bar, pool table, big screen TV's, the works. You can have nearly just as much hanging out at the clubhouse as you can on the course. The course has three distinct sets of large, concrete tees; usually three positions on each hole for the red, powder-coated baskets; helpful tee signs, benches, and trash buckets at each tee; navigational aids around the course; and wooden safety walls around the tees where other fairways may come into play. The only thing I've seen at another course that I didn't see here was brooms at each tee pad.

The course itself is a lot of fun to play and definitely offers a challenge for any player from the appropriate tee. The various tees are more than just added distance. They all offer different looks and lines and really add to the replay value for those lucky enough to play here often. The tight woods require accuracy but the predominant shot is a hyzer. You also need to be able to throw a straight line and finish straight in the fairway but those are the only 2 shots you need on this course unless you find yourself off the fairway. However, given the thick woods on most of the course, finding yourself off the fairway is probably only a matter of time.

Rollin Ridge is a phenomenal course and you can see how far it has come in relatively little time just by comparing the course as it is today with the pictures on this site. The fairways are much more clear of schule and debris and the landscaping is more extensive. I love the p2p model and this course is a shining example of how well it can work. It just lacks a bit of shot variety and wow factor for me to give it the perfect 5.0 rating. I think the course would get a 4.0-4.5 from most people if there were no clubhouse. That said, it is easily a destination course and a really fun round of disc golf!

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

Amenities galore

2-4    9/2/2014   9/10/2014
Review By: discNDav
Pros: club like setting. $5 to play and I consider this a plus, it's that good!

The amenities include: practice basket, driving range net, pro shop, indoor restroom and shower, indoor bar, fire pit and on site camping is also available.

3 sets of CEMENT tees, black (long), red (medium) and orange (short). The landscaped tees are were the best I've seen in over 300+ courses that I have played. They were usually raised above ground level, had benches, trash buckets and rock gardens and/or gravel surrounding them.

A lot of variety shots are required: downhill, uphill, right to left, left to right, straight, open, wooded, nothing extremely tight or unfair.

They have built wooded structures near some tees to protect you from errant shots.

No map is needed, I found my way around easily because there are plenty of signs pointing you in the right direction. The back 9 has un-natural flow but is easy to navigate though. The path to #15 passed #7's tee.

A few water/hazards aka swamps that can affect play especially on #9's approach shot.

#14 wall/walls built leading up to the basket.

Per the tee signs multiple pins placements although the A, B or C wasn't always circled on the sign.

A few bridges were built to help you over wet or muddy ground.
Cons: Just a few...Bugs...bring bug spray.
Muddy in some of the lower terrian (I played here before and after rain)
Bring appropriate foot wear which I always do anyway.

Other Thoughts: I drove 4 hours and got to RR at 7:40a on Labor Day and played here and came back the next morning by 8:30a for another round so I missed the pro shop and bar being open. I had the course to myself and loved it. The course was very FUN to pay!

The golf shots and course weren't extremely difficult. I'm an Adv Grand Master rated just below 900 and shot right just about par (using a couple of mulligans on the drives). I'm used to harder courses in the Mid-Atlantic/Pennsylvania area and was expecting more par 4 's for being a top 5 course. I did not play the pro black tees though.

Compared to the other 4 star rated courses in the area (Silver Creek and Winter Park) I'd play here every time over those two.

I'd love to come back someday in the future and play RR later in the day. It is now listed as one of my favorites here on DGCR.

Rollin' Ridge DGC Review

2-4    7/26/2014   7/30/2014
Review By: FoxRacer23TW
This review was updated on 8/10/2014
Pros: The course was well planned out, and is very clean. Each hole has a dynamic setup, and is fun to play. They put a ton of time and effort to make this course enjoyable and decisive. The shop has a ton of merchandise, food/drinks, restrooms, and a game room.
Cons: It has a few spots that are really wet and squishy. The two holes that go over/around a swamp are bad if you are a beginner thrower. If you toss one in, its there until someone gets it out from the shop. You have to be careful, or you'll be waiting or hoping you get your disc back. It is $5 to play every day, which kinda sucks but it keeps the grounds good.
Other Thoughts: For my first time being there, I was impressed. Every hole has its own personality to it. I'd go back more if it were cheaper or if the season pass wasn't so expensive.

One of Wisconsin's best by far

2-4    9/7/2013   9/12/2013
Review By: wolfhaley
Pros: This is one of the best courses I've seen by far. The course is set on a beautiful piece of property right off highway 10 in Manitowoc county. The tee pads here are fantastic. They are level, grippy and flared concrete pads that face each pin perfectly. There are 3 sets of concrete tees on almost all the holes with a few having only 2. The different tees drastically change the shots which is what you look for in multiple tee holes. They aren't just 20 feet further back like a lot of courses. The baskets are awesome looking red powder coated Mach 3's that are in superb shape and catch great. The flow is very easy to figure out. They have a ton of signs showing not just next tee but next tee for the different tees, long, medium and shorts. They also have multiple pin placements for most if not all the holes which just adds to the challenge here. Theres a great mix of left, right and straight shots. The distances vary quite a bit from hole to hole. There's a ton of elevation which makes for a real challenge. The majority of the course is pretty wooded but with very fair lines to the pin on all of them. There are a few water hazards here as well. There's a wetland area to the right of hole 2 which is pretty dangerous. They have long telescoping poles to retrieve discs out of the swamp on the edge of the swamp which is super cool. There's benches at every hole with enough trash cans throughout too. there are a few elevated baskets in the middle of the course which once again adds to the challenge. The landscaping and man made structures and retaining walls here are just unbelievable. This is by far the most visually appealing course I've played due to these structures. They offer camping on site which is a bonus. There's a practice basket and a driving range/cage in front of the pro shop as just another of the awesome features here. They have probably over 1000 discs with an excellent variety in the pro shop as well. This was the best selection I've seen to date with the exception being maybe sandy point.
Cons: It's too far away from me to play as much as I'd like to. I honestly can't think of anything else. It's as close to perfect as I've seen.
Other Thoughts: Go out of your way to play this course. It's $5 a day which is ridiculously cheap for what you get. I've played almost 100 courses so far and this is the best of all of them. There is no way anyone who discs seriously will not love this course. I only rated it 4.5 because I haven't played every course so I don't know if it's the best of the best but to be honest I was very tempted to give it a 5. It's that good.