Reedsville, WI
Rollin Ridge Share
Uploaded By: koogs Hole #7 (Taken 6/2012)
Hole #7 Short Tee

the gold standard

1    8/10/2014   9/15/2014
Review By: dreadlock86
Pros: -wonderful piece of land with lots of woods, open space, and subtle rolling hills throughout the course
-three distinct sets of tees with appropriate challenges off the tee for a wide range of players and usually three pin locations per hole
-the gold standard for amenities: the best clubhouse you've seen, concrete tees, great signs, navigational aids, benches, wooden safety walls protecting the tees from other fairways, numerous bridges, 2 practice baskets, and a driving net
-a few water hazards (swamps) that come into play
-red baskets are easy to see in the woods
-pay to play, $5, and it clearly goes back into the course
Cons: -too many hyzer fairways, i think i only threw one anhyzer off the tee and it wasn't the required line
-the plastic signs were fine but i wasn't sure if the circled basket position was indeed the current one; not all of them had a circled position
-for me, this course really doesn't have any signature holes; maybe hole 2 or 18
Other Thoughts: Rollin Ridge sets the gold standard for amenities in a disc golf course. From the moment I pulled into the ample sized parking lot and saw the clubhouse, I knew this was going to be a stellar experience. There are two practice baskets and a driving net outside the clubhouse as well as a deck with several picnic tables and a fire pit. The clubhouse has a full disc shop, quality bathrooms, a bar, pool table, big screen TV's, the works. You can have nearly just as much hanging out at the clubhouse as you can on the course. The course has three distinct sets of large, concrete tees; usually three positions on each hole for the red, powder-coated baskets; helpful tee signs, benches, and trash buckets at each tee; navigational aids around the course; and wooden safety walls around the tees where other fairways may come into play. The only thing I've seen at another course that I didn't see here was brooms at each tee pad.

The course itself is a lot of fun to play and definitely offers a challenge for any player from the appropriate tee. The various tees are more than just added distance. They all offer different looks and lines and really add to the replay value for those lucky enough to play here often. The tight woods require accuracy but the predominant shot is a hyzer. You also need to be able to throw a straight line and finish straight in the fairway but those are the only 2 shots you need on this course unless you find yourself off the fairway. However, given the thick woods on most of the course, finding yourself off the fairway is probably only a matter of time.

Rollin Ridge is a phenomenal course and you can see how far it has come in relatively little time just by comparing the course as it is today with the pictures on this site. The fairways are much more clear of schule and debris and the landscaping is more extensive. I love the p2p model and this course is a shining example of how well it can work. It just lacks a bit of shot variety and wow factor for me to give it the perfect 5.0 rating. I think the course would get a 4.0-4.5 from most people if there were no clubhouse. That said, it is easily a destination course and a really fun round of disc golf!

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

Amenities galore

2-4    9/2/2014   9/10/2014
Review By: discNDav
Pros: Private...country club like setting. $5 to play and I consider this a plus, it's that good!

The amenities include: practice basket, driving range net, pro shop, indoor restroom and shower, indoor bar, fire pit and on site camping is also available.

3 sets of CEMENT tees, black (long), red (medium) and orange (short). The landscaped tees are were the best I've seen in over 300+ courses that I have played. They were usually raised above ground level, had benches, trash buckets and rock gardens and/or gravel surrounding them.

A lot of variety shots are required: downhill, uphill, right to left, left to right, straight, open, wooded, nothing extremely tight or unfair.

They have built wooded structures near some tees to protect you from errant shots.

No map is needed, I found my way around easily because there are plenty of signs pointing you in the right direction. The back 9 has un-natural flow but is easy to navigate though. The path to #15 passed #7's tee.

A few water/hazards aka swamps that can affect play especially on #9's approach shot.

#14 wall/walls built leading up to the basket.

Per the tee signs multiple pins placements although the A, B or C wasn't always circled on the sign.

A few bridges were built to help you over wet or muddy ground.
Cons: Just a few...Bugs...bring bug spray.
Muddy in some of the lower terrian (I played here before and after rain)
Bring appropriate foot wear which I always do anyway.

Other Thoughts: I drove 4 hours and got to RR at 7:40a on Labor Day and played here and came back the next morning by 8:30a for another round so I missed the pro shop and bar being open. I had the course to myself and loved it. The course was very FUN to pay!

The golf shots and course weren't extremely difficult. I'm an Adv Grand Master rated just below 900 and shot right just about par (using a couple of mulligans on the drives). I'm used to harder courses in the Mid-Atlantic/Pennsylvania area and was expecting more par 4 's for being a top 5 course. I did not play the pro black tees though.

Compared to the other 4 star rated courses in the area (Silver Creek and Winter Park) I'd play here every time over those two.

I'd love to come back someday in the future and play RR later in the day. It is now listed as one of my favorites here on DGCR.

Rollin' Ridge DGC Review

2-4    7/26/2014   7/30/2014
Review By: FoxRacer23TW
This review was updated on 8/10/2014
Pros: The course was well planned out, and is very clean. Each hole has a dynamic setup, and is fun to play. They put a ton of time and effort to make this course enjoyable and decisive. The shop has a ton of merchandise, food/drinks, restrooms, and a game room.
Cons: It has a few spots that are really wet and squishy. The two holes that go over/around a swamp are bad if you are a beginner thrower. If you toss one in, its there until someone gets it out from the shop. You have to be careful, or you'll be waiting or hoping you get your disc back. It is $5 to play every day, which kinda sucks but it keeps the grounds good.
Other Thoughts: For my first time being there, I was impressed. Every hole has its own personality to it. I'd go back more if it were cheaper or if the season pass wasn't so expensive.

One of Wisconsin's best by far

2-4    9/7/2013   9/12/2013
Review By: wolfhaley
Pros: This is one of the best courses I've seen by far. The course is set on a beautiful piece of property right off highway 10 in Manitowoc county. The tee pads here are fantastic. They are level, grippy and flared concrete pads that face each pin perfectly. There are 3 sets of concrete tees on almost all the holes with a few having only 2. The different tees drastically change the shots which is what you look for in multiple tee holes. They aren't just 20 feet further back like a lot of courses. The baskets are awesome looking red powder coated Mach 3's that are in superb shape and catch great. The flow is very easy to figure out. They have a ton of signs showing not just next tee but next tee for the different tees, long, medium and shorts. They also have multiple pin placements for most if not all the holes which just adds to the challenge here. Theres a great mix of left, right and straight shots. The distances vary quite a bit from hole to hole. There's a ton of elevation which makes for a real challenge. The majority of the course is pretty wooded but with very fair lines to the pin on all of them. There are a few water hazards here as well. There's a wetland area to the right of hole 2 which is pretty dangerous. They have long telescoping poles to retrieve discs out of the swamp on the edge of the swamp which is super cool. There's benches at every hole with enough trash cans throughout too. there are a few elevated baskets in the middle of the course which once again adds to the challenge. The landscaping and man made structures and retaining walls here are just unbelievable. This is by far the most visually appealing course I've played due to these structures. They offer camping on site which is a bonus. There's a practice basket and a driving range/cage in front of the pro shop as just another of the awesome features here. They have probably over 1000 discs with an excellent variety in the pro shop as well. This was the best selection I've seen to date with the exception being maybe sandy point.
Cons: It's too far away from me to play as much as I'd like to. I honestly can't think of anything else. It's as close to perfect as I've seen.
Other Thoughts: Go out of your way to play this course. It's $5 a day which is ridiculously cheap for what you get. I've played almost 100 courses so far and this is the best of all of them. There is no way anyone who discs seriously will not love this course. I only rated it 4.5 because I haven't played every course so I don't know if it's the best of the best but to be honest I was very tempted to give it a 5. It's that good.

5+    7/22/2013   8/5/2013
Review By: AdamE
This review was updated on 8/14/2013
Pros: Rollin Ridge is a pay to play course which is open to the public. It's $5 a day to play and is well worth it to play a course of this caliber.

The course design here is fantastic. The course is mostly wooded with only a few open holes. I consider this course to be championship caliber, but the three sets of tees and multiple pin positions make the course friendly to a wide variety of skill levels and will challenge everyone. There are elevation changes on almost every hole, some are slight while others are more extreme. The shot variety here is excellent and you will need every shot in your bag at this course. There are a number of multi shot holes here, more from the longs, less from the shorts. I'm a big fan of multi shot holes and the ones here are great. There are definitely some unique holes here, I could consider a number of them the signature hole. The fairways are fair but tight on many of the holes. They force you to hit your line to score well. There is good risk/reward here. You can choose to pull out a driver and hope that you hit your line and have a chance at a birdie. Miss your line and you'll whack a tree, fly way off the fairway and be lucky to get par. Alternatively you can grab your midrange and if you keep it in the fairway par shouldn't be a problem to achieve. Many of the putting greens are protected or on hills and slopes which adds to the challenge. The course is very challenging and well designed.

The amenities here are the BEST I've ever seen in my disc golf travels. There is a nice big club house with drinks, beer, snacks, pro shop, tv, pool table, restroom, shower for campers. Just outside there is a driving range, practice basket and huge deck with picnic tables, bulletin board, course map and money drop to pay for playing this awesome course.

The amenities don't stop at the club house. On the course there are three concrete tee pads on nearly every hole, nice baskets, and benches at almost every tee. The landscaping that's been done here is absolutely amazing! There are a number of structures throughout the course to protect some tee pads from errant shots on other holes, there are large landscaping rocks around every tee pad, elevated walkways, raised baskets, a stair step wall with multiple landing platforms and the basket at the top. I really can't say enough good things about the immense amount of work that's gone into this amazing course. The course landscaping and amenities rival those at Blue Ribbon Pines IMHO and it could be debated that they surpass them.

The few open holes have tall grass growing off the fairway but they had the bright idea to cut some rows into the rough to make it easier to find your disc in the event of an errant shot. This is just another example of the great things they're doing here.

As impressive as the course is now, the best thing about the course is they continue to make improvements. Tons of work had already been put into the course when I first visited in March 2013. When I returned in July 2013, just 4 months later, an impressive amount of work has been done.
Cons: The course could use tee signs and/or a more detailed course map. Like I said, they're not done working on the course and I know from talking to the owner and his brother that these things are on the way.

The basket on hole 4 has a number of trees in the fairway as you approach it. In my opinion it doesn't make the approach very fair, but thankfully this is the only place on the course I felt this way.

I heard the course can get buggy but they sprayed a little before my visit so I didn't have any problem with the bugs.
Other Thoughts: This is a top notch destination course, it deserves its high ratings, and is well worth traveling out of your way to play.

I really want to give this course a 5, I have added it to my list of favorite courses and it is amazing. The lack of tee signs are literally the only thing stopping me from giving the course a 5 and I'll change that as soon as I hear they are added. It is phenomenal but I'm sorry, I can't say it's the best of the best without tee signs.

Even without them this course is amazing, go check it out!

Amazing Course which will only get better

1    7/8/2013   7/8/2013
Review By: BriZimm
Pros: The first two holes alone freaked me out and as a newer player, I thought I might have regretted going out here due to the challenge. However, the course evolved and ended up being amazing. So much so that we played two rounds in sweltering heat and humidity of the Sunday in the July 4th weekend.

There are wooded platforms over muddy spots and open woods that make loosing discs relatively impossible. Basket placement varies too. Some are high, some are slightly raised, some are low. Every hole has a challenge. The course itself is great exercise and feels like a hike without throwing the discs. I'm a bigger guy and lost 9 pounds on the day.

There is a really nice "man cave" style clubhouse here as well. Not finished when I visited, but I've heard from many people that this course has been under construction for years and they don't sit on their hands, so I suspect this will be completed shortly.
Cons: As my buddy and I were playing our second round of the day, we sat down waiting for the group in front of us at the hilltop tee on 12. I asked him, "What is it about this course that makes it less than perfect?" We both agreed that not having tee signage yet was the glaring thing and we got confused a few times, even with the scorecard. Yes, there are bugs, but I don't blame a course for having bugs. It's the sacrifice you make for the seclusion and the atmosphere. Bring bug spray and you'll be fine.
Other Thoughts: This is a difficult yet fair course, as a newer player, you shouldn't be afraid to play it. Courses like this make you appreciate a great disc golf course and it also helps your game.

If you live in Appleton like me, it will take you about 35 minutes to get there and it costs $5 for the day. I will definitely be making this trip about once a month or so and bringing more people each time. This place deserves to be seen, they have definitely put in the work and I wish them the best. This course makes O'Hauser look like the Summer 2013 version of Telulah park

Play this course

2-4    3/7/2013   3/7/2013
Review By: jeepluvr81
Pros: Pros: Everything.
It's got everything. Trees, elevation, water, bridges, huge benches, 2-3 tee pads on every hole, wooded holes, wooded out into open field holes, open holes, long open holes, open field into the woods holes. Very well maintained.
Nice scorecards, pencils, a clubhouse with a pool table and bar. Merchandise. Onsite camping. You name it.
Cons: Cons: Mosquitoes in summer. Bring bug spray.
Other Thoughts: If you haven't played it yet, kick yourself. Then go play it.
Play it in the fall for one of the most beautiful courses ever.

5+    10/20/2012   10/25/2012
Review By: Brogie
Pros: Awesome course it will be the premier course in the area. There are two bridges with cement tiles on the bridge for the tee box they have put a tremendous amount of work into this course with a lot of visual features.
Cons: Closes November 12th to 25th CLOSED for deer hunting.

Wow is all I can say

1    9/16/2012   9/19/2012
Review By: Glo Roc
Pros: 3 sets of tees on almost every hole. Great mix of wooded and open holes. Varying lengths and difficulty. Beautiful landscaping which apparently is only going to improve.
Cons: Mosquito's weren't too bad when we played but I can see how they could be terrible. Forgot the bug spray in the car so we lucked out. There were a few extra baskets out there that made a few holes confusing. We played to the wrong basket twice.
Other Thoughts: The dedication and love that went into designing/constructing this course is quite special. Sounds like it is only going to get better. Wish is was closer to home for sure. Great job and look forward to playing it again!

Private beauty and dedication - one of an area trifecta of excellent courses

5+    3/25/2012   9/18/2012
Review By: superberry
Pros: This is disc golf dedication to the max. A wonderful love of the sport, some dedicated landowners, partners, and volunteers, and the desire to build something great is ensuring this and will remain a top notch course. At Rollin Ridge, you almost have it all (missing the huge downhill bomber), and my preference for wooded technical courses is balanced superbly with some wide open rippers (soon to include watergardens and other beautiful landscaping), long and short wooded goodness along a rollin' ridge, awesome balance of left, right, straight, and mulit-route holes, water hazards, OB, and risky greens galore. Distance is varied well from short technical to long wooded and long open. There is not one throwaway hole. Three distinct tees are present on most holes, all well constructed to be grippy, plenty wide, and including a follow through zone. Multiple pin placements further add to the enjoyment by showcasing more of the beautiful property and more difficult routes through these wooded airways. There is not one throwaway hole! Two of the long wooded holes are legitimate par 4 holes, and one of the longer open holes could be with more strategic OB water hazard built where Blue level players typically land. Elevation is used to the fullest and maximized for well designed uphill throws and exciting downhill throws. Throwing along the crest of the rollin' ridges is also used to keep in line with the namesake. Memorable holes are thrown at you left and right in a variety of ways from neat gimmicks like the raised tire pin, tee in bridge, and also just with the beautiful natural terrain and setting of the property. Standing on the tees invokes the true disc golfer in me. They make you look down the fairway and get excited about stepping up and ripping the perfect drive to sail through such a gorgeous airway! I love challenge and risk, and a wooded course like this offers the need for accurate play, but then you throw in risky greens perched on the edge of excavated pits, surrounded by trees, or on a risky slope and I'm in disc golf nirvana. The attention to detail with the retaining walls and landscaping continues to get nicer and neater on a daily basis. Pay to play (on private property!) keeps the worthless chuckers off the course, and this is a huge bonus.
Cons: No tee signs yet. I'd like to see three distinct tees per hole. IMO this completes the skill specific round and challenge for each individual skill level player in your group. Hole 3 would be an absolute par 4, with some strategic OB built about 325-375' from the pad, making it a decision to layup short, or bomb out over. The low portions of the course at the SW area of the property can get swampy, wet, overgrown, and mosquito infested. This sucks when you can't even focus on playing, but I can't deduct from the score. I have no doubt that the love of the game and this property will yield some fill, more bridges, and the amount of play will keep the undergrowth down. The property is right on US 10 between Manitowoc and Appleton. This introduces quite a bit of road noise and lack of seclusion on a handful of holes, and I love the quiet solitude of remote courses. I have not seen poison ivy, although the area is known for fields of it, only some nettles. Despite not deducting for bugs, I do deduct for poison ivy and other plants that can be controlled. Color labels for the tees bugs me. The corresponding pdga consistent tee pad color layout per skill here would be white, blue, gold. The short tees here are harder than red recreational tees, they are probably equivalent to white tees (especially with many being shared use). The middle tees here are equivalent to blue tees. The long tees here are equivalent to low gold tees.
Other Thoughts: I didn't get to play the tee built into the bridge yet, but what a wonderful addition to this amazing course. This will be a great gem of a private "club" course in the northeast WI area. Rollin Ridge offers a perfect trifecta with the brutal untamed nature of Winter Park in Kewaunee and the manicured city park design setting at Silver Creek in Manitowoc. The course alone is worth a trip out of your way. If travelling through or near the area on business or pleasure, make this a stop. When you include Winter and Silver, you'd be insane not to take a day (LONG day) to play all three! To me, in the battle of the Ludington ferry courses, this trifecta offers lightyears more variety and balance than the Leviathan/Flip/Mason trifecta. These are the blood red baskets won from DGA in one of the first basket giveaways, they will hold up great and look awesome in the woods. Despite the course not falling into 100% complete balance and variety with a huge downhill ripper, or a definite formidable water hazard, the clubhouse and private feel make this an amazing course. It shakes out to a 4.7 in my spreadsheet, and I would round up to a 5.0 for the atmosphere, dedication, and absolute certainty that this will only get better, but the road noise bugs me, and total variety is vital to my 5.0 ratings. Make no mistake, 4.5 is an awesome score in my book. I hear talk of waterfalls, watergardens, incredible clubhouse, and all kinds of special events and can't help but smile at what this course is soon to become.