Reedsville, WI
Rollin Ridge Share
Uploaded By: koogs Hole #7 (Taken 6/2012)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Rollin Ridge - Where Dreams Come True

5+    8/22/2015   8/26/2015
Review By: Gleck33
Pros: Outstanding Design
- Every line, approach and green is perfectly placed with altitude, OB and water maximized for the land
- No drive, approach or putt is a gimmie, with every shot continually challenging your mental game
Lines & Distances are extremely challenging/yet fair
- Lines will push you to your brink and have you coming back time and time again with a new idea on how to hit it, yet every line is fair. There are 0 holes in my opinion that are "throw and hope", but nearly every hole will require precise accuracy
- The distance is fair as well. Rarely are you required a 600 foot max drive, rather controlled distance is needed where placement is more important

Beautifully manicured
- The course is always in stellar condition and always a beautiful place to spend an afternoon
- Tee pads are the best I've played on, perfect size, follow through zone, surrounded by rocks
- Baskets are excellent, wood blockers, bridges & walkways, green settings with elevated pins & tiers/manicured greens, clubhouse with pro shop, fireplace, outdoor fireplace, bar, TV, driving range, practice green, score cards and & pencils all put this course over the top

Variety
- 3 tee pads and 3 baskets per hole!!!!!!!
o Variation between the 3 isn't limited to distance (although it adds that too), but completely changes the lines/greens/approaches to holes
o All formats offer their own element of challenge, some of the short baskets are actually the hardest placement in my opinion (2,11,12)

Improvements
- Everyone at the Ridge continues to keep improving this course and it gets better every day!
Cons: - No cons to this course, sure cool tee signs would be a nice addition, sure it can get swampy in spots, sure there are no huge downhill bombers or prominent water factors, but absolutely nothing that will make you say "dang I wish this was better" on your car ride home
- Do think there was an opportunity to make the black pin on hole #2 out on a peninsula over the water
Other Thoughts: Overall the Ridge is the place I would prefer to play nearly all of my rounds. It is a true destination course that has a high difficulty level and a high fun factor. Come camp for the weekend and enjoy the wonderful hospitality. You must play black-black at least once. Pure definition of a 5 star course.

It is truly impossible to have a bad time out at the Ridge. Miss your lines and have your score climb to new heights, but yet any day at the Ridge is a great day to be alive.

Hard to imagine a better course...

5+    8/14/2015   8/18/2015
Review By: lxames
Pros: I'm going to try to avoid repeating what other reviewers have written. Yes, the clubhouse is great, and the course will make you throw every disc in your bag, yadda yadda...

What sets Rollin Ridge apart, to me, is its unique setup. I have played other courses with multiple tee positions, but RR dramatically changes nearly every hole by not only altering the distance with each tee, but the angle. Hole 2--the signature hole, in my opinion--is a great example of this. The longer tees require a heart-pounding shot over the reedy pond, while the short orange tee fronts the fairway to the left of the pond--though a shot over the water is still necessary to go for the birdie.

Even better are the three baskets ON EACH HOLE! Again, playing the longs (the black baskets) will not only make the course longer than the medium (red) or orange (short) baskets, it will change the direction of the hole. Dogleg right in one setup becomes a tunnel shot in another, and a dogleg left in another. Or, on the bomber 3rd whole, the black tees add mega distance and a downhill pin-placement in a tree-surrounded depression, making the hole feel different than the red or orange baskets.

With the ability to play nine different setups on each hole, the amount of fun to be had at Rollin Ridge far exceeds a typical course. And the best thing about this variety is that each setup is a heck of a lot of fun. While the short tees at a course like Vallarta-Ast in the Madison area (another of my favorites) are, in my opinion, pretty dull, my favorite set-up at Rollin Ridge is actually orange to orange--short tees to short baskets. Even though this is the amateur setup, few holes are easy; rather, they require finesse and touch with putters and mids, and make for an enormously fun 45 minute blast of disc golf that flows beautifully, tee to basket to tee.

I could go on, but I'll cut it there.
Cons: The cliche is that it's two hours from my house--but that is the main con. The owners have really thought of nearly everything to make the course a great play, and well worth the long drive.
Other Thoughts: I played three rounds here both times I've visited; for the majority of my weekday trips--in the middle of the summer--my playing partner and I were alone on the course. We felt like we were in our own private disc golf paradise. I'm sure the course will only get busier as disc golf grows in popularity. If you can, drive up on a mid- to late-summer weekday, pay your five bucks, and play all day. Stop for a drink and a disc and a chat with the owner in the clubhouse, then go play some more. It's a great experience, and one not to be missed for any disc golfer.

Top Flight

5+    6/4/2015   6/13/2015
Review By: Huckfreely
Pros: Three sets of baskets . 36 brand new Mach x . The best. 3 cement tees per hole. High quality.
Cons: Wish there was a bit more spacing between holes and fairways, but the structures around tees, create good definition and keep u safe .
Other Thoughts: Gets better every time I go. Thanks Steve, Kat and Boogie .

Excellent Course

1    5/29/2015   6/8/2015
Review By: DiscGolfNutt
Pros: Pro shop, camping, food, and a bar all on site. You could spend a whole week here and not have to leave the property.
Cons: There are no real cons to this course. Unless being to far away from my house to play daily is a con...
Other Thoughts: Keep up the great work Steve & company!

Creme de la Creme

5+    5/3/2015   5/29/2015
Review By: HeavyCritters
Pros: There is so much here to love that it's hard to list it all.

Just pulling into the lot and seeing the clubhouse with a driving net and practice baskets outside always makes me giddy.

Here's what I love about this course:

*Three pin positions and three teepads for each hole that give you completely different looks and lines
*You will use every shot in your holster and just about every disc in your bag
*Great use of elevation and water (where available)
*Immaculate upkeep of every inch of the course
*Garbage cans and benches at every hole
*Winter disc golfers will find cleared and salted teepads all winter long
*Proshop loaded with discs, clothes, food, beer, water, soda, etc.
*Lost and Found: They drag the swamp on Hole 2 regularly and will call all golfers who leave a name and number and description of their disc
*Great signage
*Easy to navigate
*Beautiful landscaping and structures (can't wait for the fountain to be finished!)
*Camping on site
*Pay to Play. P2P is a "pro" in my book, and $5 for as much as you can play is a steal.
Cons: *As has been said, it can get a little soggy at times, but it's rarely been an issue when I've been out there to play.
Other Thoughts: On every level, this course is the best course I've ever played (I'm currently at 156 courses bagged).

From the sheer fun of the golf, to the landscaping and upkeep to the pro shop, I'm not sure how you can do better than Rollin Ridge.

I regularly drive over an hour and half one way early in the morning to meet a couple of friends out there so we have the course to ourselves for a few hours.

Do yourself a favor if you're in the area and play this amazing course.

Best course I've played to date

5+    6/29/2014   5/28/2015
Review By: smyith
Pros: - multiple pins
- pro/adv/am tees
- guarded tee boxes!!!!
- very very challenging
- you will need your game to be at its best to even have a chance at scoring in the 60s
- first course i've played where everything is Par 3 just does not apply
- you will use every shot you know to try and best the course
- clean, and i dont just mean garbage, i mean even sticks and what not on the ground. not many wooded courses can you confidently throw a roller and know that a random stick isnt going to screw you over.
- netted practice area for driving
- practice basket
- club house with discs, food, drinks
- plumbed toilets (open even if shop isnt!)
- camping on site
- the long grass rough is mowed in a grid to make it really easy to find a disc if you go in it
- in the woods there isnt needless shrubbery to make you have to search. going off fairway is punishment enough.
Cons: - the one and only con to the course is there is some water management issues that make a few holes a bit sloppy. there are ways to fix this and i have no doubt that they will take care of the issue in time. just make sure to wear waterproof shoes and you will be fine.
Other Thoughts: There isn't much to the area, but I would travel from anywhere to play this course. It is worth every second of your time. Out of the 140 courses I have played this one is easily the best. It is tempting to bump down the other 5s I have given out cause this one sets the bar at a new height. And what is amazing is that they aren't anywhere near done. The people involved are incredibly friendly and passionate about taking the sport to new heights. I wish that this course was in my backyard! I really cant praise it enough.
I do advise on hole 18 to have someone guard your disc from going in the small puddle/pond by the pin placements, its kind of stagnate and you dont want to have to go searching in it.
I really hope that courses like these are the new direction for disc golf design.
Seriously go play this course!

The Ridge

1    5/16/2015   5/17/2015
Review By: travapple
Pros: The course is easily one of the most well maintained and well thought out courses i've ever been too! With 3 tee pads and 3 baskets on each hole, the possibilities are endless. there is truly something for people of all skill levels. you could play here all day and never play the same course twice. They do an excellent job of using the space they have available (the holes are generally pretty tightly packed together, but not overly so). There are also some very unique holes that make you plan your shot accordingly.

This course feels more like an actual golf course/country club than anywhere else ive been. The immaculate condition of the course itself, the amount of variety presented to you in a very professional manner, and the clubhouse area which includes a bar, proshop (with very helpful, friendly staff who are very passionate about the sport), driving range, practice baskets, and a firepit. All of the above make for the most fun, immersive disc golf experience you will find anywhere. Well worth the 5 dollar fee and long drive there.

I will definitely be back.

Cons: Not much to say here. My only complaint would be the LONG drive there. Its something like 2.5 hours away from Madison. It is however, a very beautiful, scenic drive, and well worth it to play Rollin Ridge.

New Baskets Installed!!!!

5+    5/13/2015   5/14/2015
Review By: A Gold Piggie
Pros: There isn't much else to say about this course that hasn't already been covered. However, new baskets were installed today at the course providing 3 baskets per hole.
Cons: So many course combinations, so little time.
Other Thoughts: The Ridge Rules.

Disc Golf Course Standard

1    9/11/2013   4/19/2015
Review By: Money_Shot
This review was updated on 4/27/2015
Pros: -This course has all the amenities you could honestly want at a disc golf course ,
Clearly a lot of effort was put into this course, with great craftsmanship throughout. Hands down the most effort I think I have seen in any course I have ever played.
-3 pads to multiple basket locations on every hole, making a ridiculous amount of combination courses you could throw together. This is not one of those courses that has a short pad that is almost pointless to throw from, each pad presents its own challenge and look at the different baskets. Very impressive variety.
-The course is well maintained and has garbages, benches etc throughout.
-the clubhouse has a disc shop, a bar with a pool table and a nice lounging area. Very nice.
Cons: -Scenery - The course as a whole does not offer the greatest scenery. For the most part you are in the thick of trees and when you are out in the open you have fields to look at. This is strictly nit picking, trying to find something I can put as a negative.
-Fun factor - Although this course offers tons of shots and angles, all said and done I didn't walk away from it thinking I just had to play it again. Don't get me wrong, it was a great course and I will definitely go to play it again, but although this course towers well above some of my other favorite courses pound for pound, I just felt it wasn't quite as fun as some of the others. If that makes any sense.
Other Thoughts: This course sets the developmental standard for organized disc golf. If you were to project the future of disc golf, it's clear that the course would be pictured much like Rolling Ridge. I want to add that Rolling Ridge is not my favorite course and was not even my favorite course on my WI road disc trip in 2013. However, I do understand that what makes a course the best is appealing to all levels of skill and Rolling Ridge not only offers hole distances and designs that appeal to all caliber of players, it does it with class and style that is not seen in any course I have researched or played. It is the closest feel to a regular golf course you will get in disc golf, except without the snobby attitudes. This place still does breed disc golf culture. There is a reason this course is rated top 10 in the nation, it deserves it as it is a progressive step forward from all other courses. Great course, you should play it yesterday already.

Fantastic Course

2-4    3/22/2015   3/22/2015
Review By: aegolius14
Pros: The variety in length and difficulty, the clubhouse, but most importantly the people that run it make Rollin' Ridge probably the best course I've played so far.
Cons: The only complaint I have is the red color of the baskets, which is difficult to see in the woods for colorblind people like me.
Other Thoughts: Definitely a goto course for anyone visiting the area!

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6