Reedsville, WI
Rollin Ridge Share
Uploaded By: jhgonzo Hole #16 (Taken 4/2012)
Hole #16 Orange Tee

Pretty Amazing Course

1    6/26/2014   6/27/2014
Review By: Moose33
Pros: I'm not exactly sure where to start with the Pros for this course, so I'll just begin at the beginning.

Rollin' Ridge is in the small town of Reedsville which is sort of in the middle of a triangle that you could make with Appleton, Green Bay and Manitowoc. It's a little out there, but that adds to the charm and makes it a real destination.

There is a small red sign marking the spot, and you can't see any of the course from the road, very demure. You pull in and there is a very large gravel lot next to the rather magnificent club house and pro shop.

They have a very large outdoor deck with a fire pit and picnic tables. Quite nice bathrooms and some of them have showers, which you may need because you can camp there as well.

The Pro Shop has food, drinks and a really cool atmosphere. Kind of a cross between a neighborhood bar and a comfy living room.

The shop is also stocked with a ton of great discs from; Innova, Discraft, Gateway, Vibram, MVP, Legacy and Prodigy. They even had my favorite disc a FAF 175 Champ Firebird in bright pink, bought it after my rounds, I'll tell you why in a bit.

Every hole has 3 teepads, and they are enormous, and well textured. They even have a runoff area at the end so you never have to worry about falling in a puddle or running out of room.

Baskets are all brand new looking DGA baskets, and they have 3 possible placements on every hole, it was on the C placement when I played.

The first round I played the medium(red) tees, they are fairly long but not terribly. I lost my DX Firebird on #2 the first time through(hence the replacement) so I was stuck with just a Warlock, a Cro and a Drone.

Second round I played the long black tees and stayed at 7 over which isn't too bad for not having a real driver.

I hung in there and had a great time, it's got some bomb holes, but it's largely wooded and there is water on a lot of holes but not so much that you have to worry much.

My advice, forget your high speed drivers. Get some solid shots in the middle of the fairway and you'll have a great day.

they do a lot of things here I haven't seen at any other course, for example they have one basket up on a big wooden box, and another on top of a pyramid of wooden steps, talk about a dramatic upshot.

Another hole has a series of walls making a series of plateaus leading up to the basket, so even if you have a great drive you might still have a 10 or 20 ft upshot.

They have recently fogged for mosquitoes so I didn't get bit once. Which is pretty cool considering that I've gotten eaten alive on every other course in Michigan and Wisconsin this spring and summer.

They are hosting the Silver Cup tomorrow, and the place is in awesome shape.

The attention to detail is just fantastic, weather it been the flowers by the tee boxes on the open field holes, or the wooden dividing walls that are adorned with numbers and embellishments.

There is no trash, no tagging, the maps by each hole are extremely accurate, as are the ones on the map/scorecards you can get no charge at the Pro Shop by the slot where you pay. There are benches on almost every hole as well, not that you will need to sit that much since even though it was quite occupied today, I hardly ever had to wait to throw.

One of the owners also told me they are planning a waterfall that you have to throw through a gap in on one of the early holes, which sounds pretty amazing.

I almost forgot the two practice baskets and batting cage style driving range.

Most of all these are first class people who care about what they do. They care about this game and have created a family atmosphere on a professional quality course that I have never seen anywhere else.

I only come to this area a few times a year, but I will never miss a trip to the Ridge. If your close count yourself lucky, if not put this on your wish list and make it here one day.
Cons: The cons are few...I guess you could say that some of low lying holes are soft and a little wet but with the weather has been so crazy that is hardly is a con. Plus they were putting down wood chips and planks to alleviate that as I was playing.

One possible con is that $5 may just be too cheap for a course this good. Maybe the best bargain in disc golf.
Other Thoughts: I have seldom had so much fun on a course, this is truly a must play.

They have done everything possible to make this the best possible place to play a round, be in nature and learn more about your game.

And if you see a big fuzzy white dog around, his name is Bogey, scratch him behind the ears.

Rollin Ridge DGC

2-4    5/11/2014   5/11/2014
Review By: DiscGolfer947
This review was updated on 5/12/2014
Pros: Disclaimer: All claims about the holes are from the perspective of short tee pads to B pin positions.

1) TWO practice baskets and a "driving range". Driving range is just netting placed around wooden posts to form a tunnel about 30 feet long, but it gets the job done.
2) 3 tee pads and 3 pin positions on almost all of the holes.
3) Tee pads are ginormous, grippy, and have a run off area at the end for your follow through.
4) Great catching and deep baskets.
6) Navigation is a complete non issue. Great signs along with an intuitive design provide for a great first time experience, even without a map.
5) Well defined and manicured fairways around the entire course. Even on the tighter holes there are defined gaps and lines that the hole asks you to hit.
6) Course makes great use of the woods and open areas around the property, along with the few hills that there are.
7) The overall design of this course is just absolutely amazing. It won't force any specific shot on you (although it may work a lot better) but you will need your whole bag here. 7 of the holes play left to right, 7 right to left, 3 play relatively straight, and 1 of them plays as a small S shape. As a lefty it threw backhand off the on every hole, while I was still able to play good, if I had a dependable side arm I could have shaved at least 3 or 4 strokes off of my game.
8) Distance variation. When I played they ranged from 160ft to 625ft from the short pads with most holes hovering around 300ft.
9) Legitimate par 4s!
10) Great risk-reward. While most holes are a relatively easy par (expect 9, that hole is hard no matter how you slice it) birdies are a pretty difficult thing to come by. Carding a birdie here usually forces you to take a shot that if you miss will leave with a difficult par or worse.
11) Unless you get some really unlucky kicks there is virtually no chance you will end up on some one else's fairway, or someone else on yours.
12) Landscaping. Most tee pads have some sort of decorative rock around them and a few of the pins have great "green" that have been created. Namely hole 14 which is on the top of a 3 tier wall that is about 20-25 feet high. Also walls have been constructed around tee pads that may be in the line of flight from other tee pads on the same hole or from different holes. And they look pretty awesome.
13) Foot bridges have been built over the wet areas of the course so you don't have to get, too, wet during your round of golf. More on that below.
14) Benches and trash cans (buckets) are to be seen on almost every hole.
15) Full stocked pro shop that is open almost all the time.
16) Pay to play. Keeps all the ne'erdowells away.
17) The owners are amazingly nice people, and they have a really friendly dog :)
Cons: 1) The only con I have is something that is out of control of the course owners, which is why I gave this course a 5, and not a 4.5. The course is built on naturally swampy land so I can get very very wet and soggy. When I played (in mid May) hole 4 consisted of standing in water or sinking up to your calves in the dirt. The walk to hole 5, from 4, end of 7, end of 13, and the first 3/4 of 14 were like this as well. Also, then end of 14, at the bottom of the big wall, gathers massive amounts of casual water. There was a small lake about 50 feet by 30 feet that was about 1-2 feet deep, and surrounded by that soft swampy mud for about 5 feet in every direction around it.

Based on what I've seen from the owners of this course if anything can be done to fix this one problem it will be done, lets hope it can.
Other Thoughts: As of now this course tops my list as the best one I've ever played. It is truly a top notch, championship level course. If you haven't played it take a road trip and treat yourself to greatness.

Great and Challenging Course

2-4    3/22/2014   3/31/2014
Review By: Kurtstopher
Pros: Rollin Ridge is an overall great course. I have only been here twice so far and each time there was snow on the ground. Even though it was winter it was still so much fun.

The grounds keepers kept at least one set of tee pads cleared off so there was a clear place to drive without ice or snow. Also the tee pads are very good size and quality. There are 2 or 3 tee pads of different difficulty for each hole.

The layout is awesome. There is a great mix of difficulty for each hole. Some in the woods some in the open and some are half wooded half open. This course makes you use all different kinds of throwing techniques and can be great practice. They also have been constantly updating the course by building different structures to modify the course.

Rollin Ridge has a clubhouse with a small bar, tables, and a pool table. They serve a lot of simple foods, beer, and other drinks. They also have a large selection of discs to purchase. The clubhouse it nice too because while winter discin, it is nice to go by their fireplace to warm up.

The staff at Rollin Ridge are very nice and they actually remembered me the second time I went. Also, they try to return any lost discs to people. if you lose one that has your name on it, they will hold on to it. I wrote my phone number on mine and they actually gave me a call to tell me it had been found and it was waiting for me. Great customer service.

I can't wait until summer to go up there and stay overnight on their camp sites. I live about 2 hours away from Rollin Ridge but it is definitely worth the trip.
Cons: The only con I can think about is the fact that I live over 2 hours away from the course and I can't go there as often as I want.

The Augusta National of disc golf

5+    8/6/2013   1/28/2014
Review By: Offconstantly
Pros: EVERYTHING! Tee's are amazing. There is a waterfall in the making on the 3rd hole that is under construction. Can wait to see that the entails. People are some of the nicest ever. The pro shop/bar is great. There are really to many things to list here. Everywhere you turn there is more and more cool stuff you don't see every where. They offer camping on the course that includes all the folfing you can get.
They have a practice driving cage/net that I have never seen before. When I said this the Augusta National I wasn't joking or being dramatic at all.
Cons: If I have to list one it would be the bugs, but they do provide bug spray at pro shop for free.
Other Thoughts: Bye far the best place I have ever played. I am a golf course superintendent and this place was just a nice as some of the local golf courses. Really a great place to have in our state. I hope they get a national tourney.

more rating then review

1    1/6/2014   1/6/2014
Review By: tomdizzlefizzle
Pros: The best course in Wisconsin. Pro shop with a driving range and baskets to warm up. All the structures and well kept fairways are something that constantly puts a smile on my face. Then the golf. The course design flows well here leading you back to the club house after 9 and 18. Three different pads and 3 different placements! Variety galore! I personally have played this course 30+ times and constantly ill realize im playing a lay out of a hole for the first time. Tight fairways are all over the place and there all fair when baskets are in shorter placements. Some good use of the little bit of elevation thats at the ridge. Navigation is simple. The pads are the best you can have. Simply an amazing experience for any disc addict.
Cons: Okay I pains me to say it but black tees or long tees to long placement needs some more trees knocked down. You pure a shot down the fairway you should have a lane to the basket. Hole 1 is the best example for this. If you have a good drive your choice for an upshot is 200 ft with a sliver of a lane that has mucky pond OB below it. I've taken 3s on it before but I don't feel great like I excuted the shot I just feel I got lucky. Im all about tiny lanes but I dont want it to just be lucky. Another con would be the land, part of the course is a swamp. Also more elevation would be nice.
Other Thoughts: My con on longs to long doesn't drop my rating cause the ridge can be played so many ways and most of the ways deserve 5 stars to me. I have played flip, Idlewild, all highbridge and other great courses and for me the ridge takes the cake. If you get a chance to play find Steve and thank him and maybe donate him more money. I feel like I am ripping him off every time I play.

best around

5+    10/31/2013   11/3/2013
Review By: gnarff
Pros: this course has everything you could ask for in a course where to start it is very well designed and the layout is great. it has three separate concrete tees for each hole along with three different pin placements so its always changing and the possibility are endless. its always well groomed and clean. it has every different terrain and elevation from wooded, grass to water, up hill, down hill and different mixtures with excellent architecture like wooden platforms for pins nice benches and walls plus stone work. as if the course wasn't good enough it has an awesome club house which is almost always open with great gear and after you play nine holes you can grab a beer and a snack or just hang out and watch the game, play pool, or warm up by the fire and play back nine. the staff is very nice and i have gotten back every disc i have lost and out of respect i return everyone i find. they are constantly improving and making little tweaks to make the place even better like getting new permanent signs in the future. plus you can camp there and really enjoy the place like having a fire and playing a glow round at night. this is a very challenging course and will really test your skills but it is beautiful in every season.
Cons: ??? its in wisconsin and it gets cold in winter other than that its great
Other Thoughts: they just cleaned out the pond on 18 and found over 40 discs so if you lose one chances are they have it so go play a round and check it out

2-4    10/27/2013   10/30/2013
Review By: steinkecm
Pros: First things first, this course is awesome. It has everything you'd want in a destination -- a pro shop, clubhouse, showers, a batting cage turned warm up cage for DG.

The multiple tees and pin placements certainly add to the experience. The tee pads are large and tapered -- they're great.

The man-made structures are a nice addition to the course, but they don't add as much challenge as I think they might hope them to.

This course will make you use every shot in your bag for sure. It's a welcome change from many of the repetitive courses I've played.

Overall, it's well taken care of. It's well groomed, managed fairly well and is an absolute must play.
Cons: Some of the wooded holes are still a bit of "throw and pray." I think for a course to be a championship caliber course, it should have specific lines you're expected to hit. They can be tight, but they should be available. There are a few holes that don't have distinct lines to hit. They're very "par-able," but doing nothing to improve the scoring distribution. It's unlikely that anyone would birdie these holes on a regular basis, as no line has been given to make that an option.

The "tee signs" that are up at this point just don't cut it for me. They're not very accurate and they're cheap. A course that has had this much time spent on it deserves top grade tee signs.
Other Thoughts: The baskets are nice -- they're older Mach 3's -- but I would like to see an upgrade at some point in these. A course this nice should have top tier baskets. I would love to see custom Discatchers here -- red bands, RR logo on the band....

I want to be able to give this course a 5, but at this point, I just can't. There are a lot of things they can improve upon at Rollin' Ridge to make it "The Ultimate."

Courses can be challenging, but they have to be able to be beaten -- at least by someone. There are a handful of holes (the ones mentioned in the Cons) that even the top pros wouldn't birdie consistently, because there are just too many trees in the fairway.

If you go to Yulga in Steven's Point, there are trees everywhere, but there are defined lines that you have to hit. Rollin' Ridge lacks these in the course design.

Without proper tee signs and better scoring distribution, Rollin' Ridge sits at a 4 in my book.

A Top Tier Course

5+    10/19/2013   10/22/2013
Review By: Koerner26
Pros: Rollin Ridge is a top tier course and well deserves to be a top 5 rated course in the world. The course offers many amenities including a large club house with a bar and pro shop inside, 3 separate tees and pin placements on every hole, a warm up "driving range" net next to the club house, and many structures throughout the course to provide challenges such as elevated greens and tees and large wooden barriers for safety and visual appeal. The course is 5 dollars to play per day, but this is a very minor fee and is well worth it because you can see your money being put back into the course throughout all the amenities there. Overall I feel that Rollin Ridge is designed very well. There is good use of elevation here and has a good hole variety from both Right to Left shots, and Left to Right shots. The 3 sets of tees allow players to play on a tee most suitable to their level of ability. The orange tees are very good for rec players looking to have a fun round while still receiving a good challenge, while the black tees allow for a championship style layout that has some very punishing rough for errant shots and very narrow but rewarding fairways. As stated earlier pretty much every hole has something unique about it. Most of the holes either have some sort of structure including wooden barriers, elevated greens, bridges, etc. Every hole also includes large wooden benches and large concrete tees. It seems every time I return to the course something new has been added. The course also allows camping onsite. Overall in my opinion Rollin Ridge definitely deserves a 5 for a rating. The work that has been put in throughout this course and the excellent course design makes it a "must play" destination for any disc golfer.
Cons: Although I feel Rollin Ridge deserves a 5 for a rating every course will include some cons. One of the biggest cons of Rollin Ridge in my mind was the Tee-Signs. Although very descriptive and accurate the current tee signs just don't cut it for me on this course. With all of the other unique structures throughout this course I felt the Tee-Signs lacked in that same uniqueness with the rest of the course. Another con of the Ridge would be the bugs/mosquitos in the spring/summer months. This isn't a huge factor to me but it should be noted as I know some people will avoid a course because of the bugs. The last major con that comes to mind when reviewing this course would be that some of the holes have some very narrow/unforgiving lines. I however cannot rate a course lower because of this because this is only a personal opinion and I would still consider the holes to be fair even with the narrow lines
Other Thoughts: Rolling Ridge is a "must play" if you get the opportunity to visit! The course is very well laid out and has good flow. Every time I visit I see something new and the staff are always very friendly! To date Rollin Ridge is probably my favorite course I have played and it's only getting better! I am looking forward to the next time I get to play here!

Rollin Ridge: My new favorite course

1    10/17/2013   10/19/2013
Review By: Billy K2
Pros: Where do I begin?
The course has a bar and driving range! The hole variety is mixed very well. Such a terrific design. Everyone is so polite and want to help you in any way possible. The course was very well manicured and in tournament condition. Beautiful scenery all around the course. Very nice signs for all 3 of the tee boxes. Number 9 is such an awesome hole.
Cons: Absolutely no major cons about this course.
Other Thoughts: Such a beautiful course in a beautiful state. I was on a buisness trip in the area so I checked it out the last day I was there. Being from Ohio, I obviously wish this gem of a course was closer.

Top Tier Course

5+    7/8/2013   10/8/2013
Review By: Horsman
Pros: Hands down the best course that I have ever played.

-This is the top tier course in WI, and that is saying a lot since WI has a lot of top level courses.

-There are multiple pins and teepads for every hole.

-Pro Shop

-Makes you use every disc in your bag and every shot in your aresenal.

-Good mix of woods, open, long, short, super hard, kinda easy holes.

-The structures around the tees and pins are amazing to look at and serve as a safety barrier for errant shots.

-Every time I go there, there is something new that they didnt have last time.

-There is a warm up net, batting cage like structure.
Cons: There really are not too many cons for this course.

-The bugs are sometimes an issue depending on what time of the year you play.

-It seems as though some of the black tees are a touch easier than some of the red tees.

Thats pretty much my only complaints.
Other Thoughts: Words cannot explain hole well this course is maintained and laid out.