Canby, OR
North Eco Share
Uploaded By: Adam Schneider Hole #1 (Taken 7/2012)
-- / --   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Parts Are Good, Parts No So Good!

1    6/17/2013   6/25/2013
This review was updated on 6/29/2013
Pros: It's a shame that the fairly long walk in and out (1/3 mile) is going to partially eliminate a part of this course's target audience. That is, the families, the seniors and other newbies.

The Discatcher baskets with the bright yellow rim are a nice touch here in the thick wooded course. The pads are currently rubber pads which are fine for this course. right now, there are laminated tee signs and arrows around the course. I'm not at all positive that they're going to last long out here in the remote forest area. There are already signs of vandalism. The holes are short pitch and putt with fair lines to the baskets. It's a pretty Northwest forest area. I like the fact that the designer didn't try to build a championship course here, just kept it short for the area. That works well.

# 5 and # 6 gives you some pretty views of the Willamette River although it's close enough to be a hazard to your tee shot on 5.

I liked the # 6 hole. It's a blind upshot probably only about 180', with a hyser on the end of it. it's a possible ACE run but with a little challenge besides.
Cons: The grass on the three holes in the field (7-8-9) was badly overgrown. There was a 20' fairway mowed down the middle long ago but it had not be cut recently and the grass in the rough was waist high. Few players playing this course will be able to stay on these narrow little fairways.

# 5 was a throw over a nasty 6'-8' tall patch of stinging nettles to a basket not visible from the pad. I passed on it. Not worth the itchiness and scratching involved. But ***note to players*** Remember when you do stung by the nettles, the Brachen Fern is a natural remedy that takes the sting out. Just tear off a small piece of it and rub it on your place where your stinging. It's the fern that looks more like a houseplant and is a little more delicate looking than the Sword Fern , which is the heavier looking one you'll find out here.

Is there a sewage treatment plant close by? Instead of smelling the wonderful Northwest forest pine type scent, I kept getting whiffs of a nauseating sewage type smell and my sense of smell is very poor.

Ugly grafitti on baskets already.

The long walk in had me wondering had I missed the course somehow?
Other Thoughts: I think this course would better be served by either relocating the three holes in the open field into the forest somewhere or removing them altogether and making this a nine hole course. They aren't going to be any fun on the typical wet, Oregon day when that grass is soaking wet. I believe I would end up just skipping over them most days.

First Time Played

1    10/7/2012   10/7/2012
Review By: carpenter
Pros: The course has some interesting shots, and the baskets are fantastic--they're also yellow, which is great for guys with poor color vision, like me, who don't see red very well. I, also, love the fact that this course is ten minutes from my home in Oregon City!
Cons: The Tee pads are too short for a strong launch, which isn't a problem for at least two-thirds of the holes. The three open field shots should have longer Tees. This being a freshly built course, the "rough" is exactly that. Blackberry bushes are a royal pain to dig through to retrieve an errant throw. Hole 6 could really use some steps--I have no idea how we're going to get up that slope in the rainy season.
Other Thoughts: This may be offered to the public as a "beginner" course, but I tend to disagree. You must exercise excellent control of your disc, or plan on setting it free, never to be seen or heard from again. I lost a Leopard on hole 5 due to the fact that the hyzer I threw was obstructed from view by trees and the disc ended up somewhere in the blackberries, or down by the river. I searched for half an hour to no avail. If you're playing with a friend, have him/her spot for you when possible.

The course is located 1/3 mile from the parking lot. On a warm day, I don't mind the exercise, but if it's raining buckets, or worse, I'd like to be able to get back to my vehicle in a timely manner.