Whoever Designed This Course ......
2 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: Whoever designed/built this course should ........immediately be fired! I have to assume that someone from the city's Park & Recreation Department thought they had a better idea here. Hey, I can design and build a better basket than Innova and one that can't ever be damaged by the local teen thugs. While I applaud that line of thinking, these vandal proof baskets are not only ridiculous and useless for disc golf, they had to cost more to manufacture than any basket the city could have purchased. These super heavy duty baskets have only seven chains hanging down and the basket catching basin, while a little bigger than normal, allows everything but super class frisbees to just fall through.
Freedom Park is a lovely little park which would easily hold a nice little beginner or pitch and putt course. The grass is a lovely green and everything is well maintained. There is ample parking and restrooms are nearby.
Cons: Beside these targets (which would probably be left standing after a nuclear attack like the Statue Of Liberty in "Planet Of The Apes") the teepads are also pretty bizarre. They are round, a little bigger than a standard hula hoop. They have an arrow, the hole # and the Par imbedded on them. That part is all functional. The problem lies with a couple of these circle pads which stand about 6 inches off the ground. It's like teeing off a raised man hole cover sticking up a half a foot. Good luck balancing on that!
My next favorite course feature is the fact that Mr./Ms. Primo Course Designer decided not to start and end the course at the parking area but instead decided that it would be better to walk 100 yards out into the center of the park and begin the course there! And then # 9 finishes there as well.
And for good measure, marking the Pars with childlike Numbers such as Par 4 for a 180 foot hole with no obstacles, just adds to the total ridiculous of your disc golfing experience here at Fredom Park.
Other Thoughts: If only, Mr. Park Parks and Recreation Professional would have only, NO, I take that back! This could have only been totally botched this badly by a woman so make that read.....If Ms. Parks and Recreation would have only contacted someone in the disc golf community for some guidance and advice, the resources from the department's meager budget could have been used so much more wisely to build a quality little pitch and putt course here. A course that would actually get some use and encourage people to play disc golf.
But that wouldn't have made it nearly as entertaining writing this review! It's not everyday you get to review a course as TOTALLY BIZARRO as Fredom Park DGC.
Unfortunately, playing the course is woefully short on the entertainment scale.
2 of 2 people found this review helpful.
Nice park. Horrible course
2 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: 1. Nice park
2. Mowed grass
3. No chances to lose discs
4. Nice concrete circles around all baskets
Cons: 1. Very big baskets and discs fall through
2. really really short
3. Par's are off
4. concrete pads arent big enough to throw off of
Other Thoughts: I really dont know what they were thinking when they made this course. I dont think they consulted one person that's actually played disc golf before. It's too bad really cause the concrete setup with all the hole info any everything on them is cool and im sure it wasnt cheap but the baskets are really strange and not designed for PDGA discs. We ended up just making up our own course so we could air a few out and actually have true run at a 9 hole par 3.
2 of 2 people found this review helpful.
6 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: 1. First off the course has plenty of parking.
2. Restrooms at numerous areas of the park.
3. Course has the feel that is was designed for frisbees or superclass discs.
4. The park did a good job not putting any benches or other activities near the course.
5. Course does have paths as OB and does have a few well placed baskets that make it tough.
6. Course has elevation changes on half the holes.
7. There were no crossing fairways, but if you were here with lids or frisbees I'm sure you could cross a path.
8. Course good for kids and families.
9. Should be designated as a pitch and putt course if you come here with regular discs.
10. The park is mowed regularly and very green. Park is well maintained.
Cons: 1. You have to walk aways from where you park to hole 1. Design could of been netter to start and finish near the car.
2. Tee pads are informative and look nice but to small for a good run up.
3. The baskets will not catch regular disc golf discs, but will catch larger lids.
4. Parks sign and main map blocks your shot on hole 1 and gets hit pretty often.
5. The course is short and offer little challenge.
6. A few of the last holes tee pads dont have a good drainage system and water builds up and covers some of the tees.
7. The mornings are very wet and water stands for many hours. Best to play in the afternoon or evening.
Other Thoughts: We played this course with superclass discs like Condors, Jaguars, and superhero's. We had a blast. Good course to introduce the game to a new crowd and for families on the weekends. I wont be back, but if the course was in my back yard I would take my younger kids to this park all the time with all the other activities offered.
6 of 6 people found this review helpful.
LAME DUCK COURSE
2 Helpful / 3 Not
Pros: A nice little park to take the family to, walk the dog, fly a kite or barbeque, ANYTHING BUT DISC GOLF.
Cons: 1st: the tees resemble (in both size & appearance) ornamental stepping stones.2nd:The baskets appear as though they were fabricated in someone's garage as they are HUGE and not at all designed for standard golf discs.
Other Thoughts: This 'course' was so poorly designed and executed it's not even worth the effort to visit. I suppose this could be somewhere to play if you're new to disc golf & wish to work on developing form, putting etc., but Centennial park is the course to play if making the trip into Hanford.
2 of 5 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.