Central, SC
Grand Central Station Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #9 (Taken 9/2012)
3 / 280ft.   3 / 280ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:

1    4/4/2014   4/4/2014
Review By: rwe366
Pros: -Best course in South Carolina hands down
- Great looking park
- Best signs I have ever seen
- Kept clean nice little viewing area for tournaments
- Great Mix of tight open holes, elevation
- There a few holes that you can really air it out
- Loved the Tee Pads, best I have ever seen.
Cons: - only one porta potty
Other Thoughts: - Will come again

Great course that will only get better

5+    9/30/2013   3/2/2014
Review By: filobedo
Pros: In the conversation for best course in SC and part of what I think is the trilogy of great new courses (2011 - present) in SC which includes GCC, Chester State Park and Socastee Recreation Park. Teepads are mats similar to what you would see in a restaurant kitchen and they are very large with sand beneath and framed. I really like these type of teepads ever since seeing them at Kure Beach in early 2011 and several courses in the South now have them as well as they are used at Hampton Park for the Charleston Classic. The signage is also spectacular. There are several holes that could qualify as the signature hole as noted below for rhbh,

#2 - Great tweener hole (par 3 or 4) where 2 is rare for an average player and possible signature hole. Low shot through a tunnel of trees to road and then anhyzer or thumber to basket.

#3 - Very tight downhill to short basket to right or longer basket uphill to left with small green.

#4 - Two basket locations and I prefer the original up the hill to the right. The original plays as an anhyzer downhill and then up hill. A 2 is phenominal.

#5 - Fun open downhill shot to tree guarded tunnel with basket tucked in the back.

#8 - Possibly the signature hole with a tight tunnel shot and low ceiling to a creek then over the creek up a hill in narrow gap.

#11 - Possibly the signature hole with a wide open downhill shot to a very narrow gap in the woods then another 200' downhill around a corner with the basket sitting atop a drop off behind. A 3 is spectacular on this difficult hole but I did see a youtube video of Schweb making a 3 with a fantastic tee shot and then blind thumber to the basket.

#13 - Two difficult teepads and possibly the signature hole with narrow downhill tunnel shot down to basket on right side of small green. Both teepads make it difficult to get close for a 2.

#14 - Fun downhill ace run depending on basket placement with creek behind

#15 - Great hole across the creek and fun hyzer or anhyzer from short tee to a tree guarded green. The long teepad makes this very challenging.

#17 - Frustrating hole for me but very challenging. I have made 2on it and taken a 6 in both tournaments I have played there and seen others take 4 more often than 3. Elevated hyzer uphill on a tight tree lined fairway. Better to be right than left off the fairway for a chance at 3. I have seen several people get in the trees on the left and had no chance at 3.
Cons: #2 playing across the entrance road is a little dangerous unless someone is spotting. #3 long basket placement green needs more attention due to brush impeding on the basket as well as low lying limbs. When I played in Sept 2013, it appeared The course can also get slick in spots such as #8 and #14 - #17 teepad so be careful if rain has been present in the area recently.
Other Thoughts: If you vote less than 4 stars for this course, you need to have a serious argument to back it up. I think it is between GCC and Stoney Hill for best course in SC and both are 4.5 if not 5 star courses. For #2, I think it would be interesting to see another teepad added 50' in front of the current pad or put another basket placement to the left the current basket and a little further back behind the large tree to have the option of playing a variation of the hole like on #3. The only throwaway hole appears to be #1 which is a straight forward shot for a 2 or 3 unless you throw in tree line on the right which is comprised of an old barbwire fence. I also wish great courses with this type of length would not only show the distance from the tee but also the length into the basket when in a fairway like in traditional golf. I only recall seeing this at Nevin on a few holes when you are about 150' from the basket. #6, #8 and #11 are good examples of where this could definitely help with disc selection in tournaments. Also, bring water if you plan to play this course in the heat because it is long and lots walking with some elevation. With it being so close to Clemson, football game weekends may interfere with hotels. I played a tournament there during homecoming weekend and rooms nearby were $350 and sold out immediately. If you plan to play a tournament, check accommodation availability before registering or plan to stay with friends or in Greenville. Also, check the wind if playing out of the woods into open areas.

Challenging and fun!

1    10/19/2013   10/21/2013
Review By: BobbyC13
Pros: BASIC STUFF:

Great course out on its own piece of land. good signs from the road to get you to the course, great kiosk with a course map, portal-potty in the parking lot, and good teepads.

COURSE:

This course was well thought out and a lot of love and care have obviously gone into making it a great course in the Clemson Area. It's a long course that makes you throw several shots for distance, short shots, anny, tunnel shots, open to tunnel, tunnel to open, open, wooded, hyzer, downhill and uphill. Trash cans throughout the course and it is in great condition with Innova baskets. A few holes play over or along water and even some power lines as obstacles.
Cons: I did have a few moments of getting turned around going to the next tee, signs were mostly there, but I did not see them initially. A few more signs and a way to make the existing next tee signs pop more would go a long way for players playing it for the first time. I would not say it's bad, and common sense of disc golf will get you to the right place. In trying my best to remember specific holes.....1 to 2 I looked to the left and saw it was teepad for 11, not sure if a NexT sign was there......4 to 5 is up to the right and I don't recall a NEXT sign there but found the teepads.....I think I got turned around on holes 14, 15, 16, and 18 but found my way.
Other Thoughts: This is a beautiful course in a tiny town just outside of Clemson. I was there to see the NOLES rock the Tigers and had the time to go play this jewel.

Great job to the designer and whoever assisted them getting the course in and installed.

Some will say the walks and overall course length from hole to hole or overall walking distance is too far, I say thanks for spreading it out and giving me some great walking exercise!

Thank you for taking the time to make that course as good as it is.

Grand is the key word in the course name!

5+    9/29/2013   9/29/2013
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 10/2/2013
Pros: -Grand is the word to describe a course like this one. Once you see the arrows pointing you to the course, you are on your way to an amazing course on a pretty small piece of property. Anything could have been chosen to be on this property and not only is it a disc golf course, it's a grand destination course! FOLLOW THE ARROWS!!
-Well, a grand course has some seriously well and unique holes. Grand Central Station has so much uniqueness, scenery, variety, water and elevation! It has every hole you can think of.
-Every hole has something special to it. Whether I liked it or not, I noticed something special from holes 1 to 18!! You start off with an easy downhill, open shot and you end with a sick (Meaning epic) double dogleg par 4 baby!! Course comes from easy and straightforward to extreme (AKA 11).
-Some good consequences to the course. Heavy woods, OB and weeds. Doesn't seem to always be a pro but it can be fun to try to ditch trouble in general. Hole 7 is a downhill par 4 with a creek over 300 ft past the tee and it's always fun to try to get over and possibly make eagle if you are really impressive. I did the Huk Central tournament and the second day (Today) we played a different layout. Some holes were longer, like #6, we teed off on the orange pad and the basket was NOT under the power tower like it was the first day, it was 220 ft past it exactly. We played a few of the short pads as well and #13, believe it or not is severly punishing on the short. It's a sidearm par 3 that I triple bogeyed because I kept shanking it. Baskets were moved in easier and more difficult spots but this layout is only for tournaments here except for the teepads. We played the original layout yesterday and the special layout today.
-#15 actually has a long tee. The original layout has the short tee that's 250 ft and the long tee is relatively new! It's a really fun pro par 3 only 285 feet long but it's a deceptively difficult hole. A righty backhander or lefty sidearmer has an advantage. You want to start off with an understable disc so it will go right and you want it to turn back just a little because you still have to go through one of the lanes (preferably the right one) so you can make a possible birdie. A two on this hole is quite rewarding but it's a pretty easy three.
-Great mix of open and wooded holes. As well as long and short holes. I always tried to get some strokes back on the easy ones. Like after 11, I tried to birdie 12 and I successfully did on the final round!
-Like I said before. Every hole is special, every hole has its own name to it. The only name that needs to be changed is #16's. #16 was actually my favorite hole! It now has a left mando on the tree right in front of the tee pad. The hole is called "Better Safe than Sorry." Now that you can't go safe, I think it should be called "Risky but Rewarding!" I love the hole and the challenge of avoiding the creek to the left. That mando makes it super fun. I don't know why most people don't like it when I usually don't love mandos but love this one. It's so fun!!
-Plenty of benches and next tee signs. The only long transitions are the ones from 8 to 9 and 17 to 18 but both of the holes are worth the wait because they are both very fun and scenic.
-Arrows pointing you to the course. In the GPS you should definitely type in the address because on your way you will see the arrows pointing you to the course. Don't go down Sanders Rd when the GPS says to because it takes you to the neighborhood and loops back to where the arrows points you to the course. I do cross country and I get the point of doing loops in a CROSS COUNTRY meet because it's a specified distance but doing a loop before you turn where the arrow points you to is disc golf course is pointless. By the time you see the arrow, turn left! You will get there more quickly. Type in the address because the GPS will get to to the arrow except it doesn't tell you to TURN to where it points.
Cons: -The weeds are not trouble but there are many thorns in the woods. I got cut up because I played terribly on a few holes. I played too consistantly too. 67, 67, 67, 65. I wish I could've found a way to get better than +6. The special layout was a par 58 and the first was the original.
-Good luck on #11. It's terribly frightening. If you are uninpressive like me, I'd go short of the opening. Every round I went for it and made the distance to the woods but not the opening. My other triple bogey was on this hole on the second round. I came from +2 to +5 and parred 12, bogeyed 13 and parred 14 (Wimpy tee shot). I started on #15 everytime except the first round.
Other Thoughts: -Wow! Such a standout course in South Carolina. Not something you should ever skip. All the holes I played terribly on were my fault that I did. Even on the "extreme" hole 11. This course is better than some of the ratings given in the previous reviews. A 3 rating would be the rating for a generic course that I wouldn't play so often just because I wouldn't really feel like it. There are so many holes here that I really loved.

Holes I loved!

#2. As unusual as this hole is, I really liked it. The basket is in a yard close to a decrepit shed and the tee shot is over the road.

#3 long. This hole was mean to me but it's something else! It's a tight 245 foot anhyzer shot that needs to turnover by the time you are sort of close to where the short basket location is or you will be in the trees.

#4. This hole has two positions. The original is a super fun downhill anhyzer shot around the high wire and over the crap and the special position is just a straight 420 foot downhill shot. Don't want to go left because it's very messy in there.

#6 original. 760 ft long!! Throw under or hyzering around the power tower is extremely fun and you get you throw another shot just as far as you can and hope to get to the basket under the second power tower!

#7 in general. This hole has a great view from the top and I found it so tempting to attempt to throw a big shot over the creek but I wanted a birdie. #7 on the special layout was a cool hyzer shot over the creek. #7 on what I call the special layout is a fun hyzer shot over the creek.

#8 original. Such a difficult par 4, but quite interesting. The first shot, you want to lay up with a midrange to get in good shape for the second up the 20 something foot hill!

#9. This hole is a great birdie attempt. Take advantage of it if you had trouble on #8.

#11. This hole was super mean to me but I will be the good guy in this and say that it's such a unique pro par 4 that goes into the woods. If you go right into the mouth 280 ft from the tee. You are quite impressive. It's a definite payback for a couple of birdies you made if you are not careful.

#14 original. Before you get to this one you may be wishing the approach shot for #8 was downhill instead up going uphill. On #14's tee pad, you are about 50 feet to the right of #8's basket and you just throw down the hill and then you are maybe 70 feet from the basket. Pretty easy birdie and it's aceable.

#15 special. This hole is super fun and challenging! To get to this tee, go straight past the original tee and go the left. Try to start your throw to the right and left it turn. Easy par but rewarding birdie.

#16. My favorite hole. Tough ace run. Throw left of the mando with a slight anhyzer with a disc that will turn back just a little. The creek can be tricky to avoid.

#17. Hyzer king!! Throw an overstable disc. Timing is everything!

#18. Double dogleg! Throw a rightly flick or lefty backhand for your tee shot ACCURATELY. A birdie is seriously rewarding. You will have to rip a driver accurately out of the woods. Great finish.

-I'm coming back for sure. I encouage everyone to come out and do the annual Huk Central Tournament. On the special layout holes 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 13, 14, and 15 have a different tee, basket or both.
-Standout to Bryan Schaupp. He's was such an amazing host to the tournament and I never got to play with him. Great guy and he designed an epic course.

Good course

1    9/7/2013   9/9/2013
Review By: Hollywood
This review was updated on 9/11/2013
Pros: I like the layout of this course. Its very challenging with a variety of basket distances. Location seems a bit remote but once among the course, it really shows how great it is.

Basket 1 is open fairway and a great warmup. From tee to basket is a pretty straight shot with a very slight left curve to the pin. Very wide and open.

Basket 2 is quite the opposite. At current, the only pad for this pin is the long. The fairway itself anhyzer's right to a blind basket location. A low ceiling makes for a much more technical shot through the available lane between trees. Any movement offline and you will be in or behind trees. The #2 fairway crosses the road and opens up once successfully across. Pin location is tucked up to the right of the fairway.

Basket 3 is set back in the woods with a pin location that anhyzer's right with a pin location finishing left, cut back between a few trees. #3 has a relatively tight fairway with a taller ceiling.

Basket 4 is called "high wire" for good reason. The pin location is a straight shot down a slight hill along the power line. My drive kissed the lines but still managed to make it straight down the fairway.

Basket 5 begins with an open fairway but quickly moves back into the woods to the pin location. Tall ceilings begin the fairway but lower as you move into the woods.

Basket 6 is a fairly long pin and plays much longer than is looks on the tee sign, at least it did for us. More experienced players may fair better. The long tee begins at the top of hill along the power line trail where the old concrete road ends. The short tee begins on the other side of the first power station along the fairway. The pin is on the back side of the hill in front and just slightly left of the tee. Other than the power stations, the fairway is open with open ceilings.

Basket 7 tees off next to pin 6 (long tee) with a pin location at the bottom of the hill, near the road. The short tee is tucked into the woods just down and to the left of the long tee. There is a water hazard (stream) between mid-fairway and the pin. Bridges accessing the pin side of the stream are to the right along the wood line.

Basket 8 was where things became confusing. We had a very difficult time locating any tee pad for 8. Finally found it tucked back in the woods near the road. We were playing short tees but there was no short pad for 8 that we could find, according to the tee sign. The fairway for 8 crosses back over the stream with a pin location uphill and in the woods once you cross the stream. Its a slight anhyzer line from the long pad to the open fairway just across the stream.

Basket 9, our confusion continues. When we finished pin 8, we could not locate a directional sign leading us to basket 9. We ended up at tee 18 before we saw a sign to pin 9. Basket 9 begins on the edge of the wood line but ends with the pin in the open, not too far from the parking lot. Its a straight, slightly uphill shot to the pin. There are some trees and ruff along the far right and left sides of the fairway.

More to come when I finish out 10-18.
Cons: My main issue with this course was the signage, or rather, lack thereof. As my group got along to basket 8 and finished out, we began heading to, what we thought, was basket 9 as we didn't see any directional markers indicating otherwise. We weren't aware that 9 was just beyond the tee of 18 and lead back out towards to parking lot. No big deal really but it was a little confusing in the back section of the course.

Basket 8's short tee was no where to be found which made throwing that basket tough for us novices.
Other Thoughts: This course played very long. My group and I can usually hammer out 18 in less than 2 hours. We got 2 hours in here and had to stop at 10 because we were running behind. I was satisfied with this course overall. It could use some maintenance and a weed eater but otherwise was fun to play. Lots of fun nuances to make it enjoyable. If the course ever has concrete pads installed, it'll be a great place to play.

We did not complete the course like I would've hoped. We stopped after 9 but I look forward to finishing and playing the course again.

Ridin' that Train

1    4/26/2013   5/2/2013
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - It's a good one, very well designed. Good mixture of open/wooded and long/short. Big variety on shot types and you'll need to work the disc over a range of distances.

Shots that come out of the woods and some that go in. A nice mixture of placement shots as well as gap hitting shots.

Multiple pads on about half the holes which usually shortens the hole on the same fairway. Seven par 4's and one par 5 which combine different elements within the hole.

Good elevation change here, some bigger hill shots as well as smaller changes throughout holes.

Nicely designed greens that are guarded well or use elevation to make your approach tricky.

Water and OB come in to play via a creek. Though it never presents any real danger of disc loss or trouble.

I really enjoyed how the holes fit together in terms of weaving the short/long holes and open/wooded. Allows for an interesting round that never gets boring by changing things up.

Equipment - Baskets in great shape. Some of the best signage I've ever seen that gives you a colorful map and info. Pads are large. Big Kiosk at the beginning with a course map and other info. Trashcans throughout.

Atmosphere - DG only park... awesome. Gives you a private feel to the place because you're not going to run in to anyone else out there but disc golfers and an occasional dog walker. Really beautiful park with rolling hills and a remote wooded feel in parts.

You might catch the train in the distance which gives you the full effect.
Cons: Layout - Biggest con here is the flow of the course, it's quite confusing and you loop back upon places you already were more than once.

There are a few less inspiring shots thrown in. Is probably a side effect of so many great holes but it is what it is.

Some tweener holes.

A lot of my complaints about the place are due to it's lack of play; it needs to be broken in more. The rough here is super rough; there are places not far from the fairway where you are in total jail. I'd like to see at least the immediate rough cleared out a bit more.

I didn't think the back 9 was as enjoyable as the front but it's still good. I do like the finishing hole.

Equipment - Pads are nice and big but they are the hexagonal filled with gravel type. I didn't have a big problem with them but they were starting to get un-level in a few places.

No bathrooms or water access here and it's kind of remote.
Other Thoughts: It's a great course that is a super fun round and some beautiful holes. Highly recommend anyone in the area stop by. I only wish it was a bit closer to town so it would get the play it needs.

I could see with some more breaking in and attention this course getting a higher rating from me in the future.

One of the best in SC!

2-4    3/17/2013   3/18/2013
Review By: Jaysauls
Pros: What a super layout! Very nice mix of open and wooded holes. And as everyone has mentioned, the signage is now the Gold Standard of what signage should be. If you're planning a course, check this one out.

This course also had a good mix Grip-and-Rip holes where you can open your bag and watch'em fly, down to precision putter shots and strings of birdie-holes

The wooded holes definitely reward well placed shots, and can HAMMER you if you don't!
Cons: Very few, primarily a mix bag of tee sizes. Some are HUGE, some are short. And there is some slippage with the aggregate used to fill the boxes. But overall, they work just fine
Other Thoughts: Even though the course looked really long, we found that you can play with 3 discs: Stable Driver, Midrange and Putter. I through a DGA Squall and Discraft Wasp on more holes than I through a driver

Well Worth a Detour

1    1/5/2013   1/11/2013
Review By: Toro71
Pros: --Challenge: Nice balance here. Even the toughest holes were reasonable, nothing here feels impossible or makes you think too much about drawing devil horns on a photo of the designer. The pacing of the more troublesome holes vs the more straightforward was particularly well thought out, I thought, adding to the fun of the round; the toughest shots (for me,) the super-snug, snaky wooded holes, were mostly on the back nine.

--Layout: good, interesting piece of land that was probably asking for a course, and well used. Several different "flavors" as you progress through the round, two different feels to the early vs later wooded holes, non-repetitive open holes, good use of elevation, big D, open-woods and woods-open transition holes, stretch of ace runs. Great variety and no two holes remotely similar.

--"Best signage in the upstate" is not an exaggeration. Massive kiosk with a practically life-size map of the course right by the parking lot. Tee signs are consistent, descriptive (even 1st time through, only a couple of the blind shots made me feel like I needed to do serious recon,) and naming the holes is a touch that makes you feel the love...and leaves no doubt as to the signature hole. Made navigation pretty self evident for the most part.

--Tee pads of ample size, and played pretty close to concrete for me, but I have mixed feelings about them...more below.

--other amenities: the covered picnic area with an observation deck on the roof overlooking the open holes is a cool idea, loved it. Property is DG only, no other park activities to deal with. Plenty of trashcans, though the day I played the vast majority on site were around the parking lot. They were wheeled, making me think that maybe they're more spread around usually? The course was pristine, so trash not an issue either way. One portajohn...new looking, clean.
Cons: Not many.

The tee pads are currently made from the plastic no-slip mats like used in restaurant kitchens. All but two were framed and filled in with some sort of aggregate. All done this way played close enough to concrete that I didn't notice. The other two, 1 and 15 I think, were just the mats, so I teed from the dirt. These mats alone are problematic in my mind because they don't really allow a consistent pivot, and depending on the shoes you play in, could result in NO pivot and injury. As long as the aggregate fill is maintained, and the feeling the course gave me is that it will be, then these pads are really no problem in my book. I don't know if the plan is to pour 'Crete in the future....

No water on site that I saw, but it's maybe 10 minutes to Walmart etc, so don't forget to stop!

1 portajohn may not be ideal for some, no sweat for me.

If one of your rating criterion is total natural seclusion, you might have a beef with the line towers as obstacles on 6, the crossing of the entrance road on 2, or possibly even the old shacks near the parking lot (these are part of the flavor for me,) but none of these really ding the course for me, given the "make the most of the available land" heroics of my hometown layouts.

The rough here features some of the pinky finger thick briars that will tear you apart. I put my tee shot on 7 onto the OB islandish obstacle just over the creek to the right and got chewed up good retrieving it. OB/rough should be rough, I think, but this felt like a double penalty. Note to self: keep it in play, a&$!
Other Thoughts: This is one of the courses that makes me wish for quarter disc reviews, because it's solidly at least a 4.25 now. Still pretty new, but doesn't have many of the "new course" issues that some will. Feels pretty finished.

I played after dropping someone at the GSP airport, from Charlotte, so drove the extra 30-40 min to play here, and it was absolutely worth it. It's made my list of courses to hit when driving down the I-85 corridor. Total DG fun for a wide range of players/skill levels. Don't miss out!

Grand layout!

2-4    9/28/2012   10/10/2012
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
Pros: Course is laid out on a beautiful piece of property. Quiet country setting with the occasional train whistle blowing in the background. Mown grass fairways & mulched woods holes. Disc golf only (no hikers, bike riders, etc). Excellent mix of long & short holes. Straight shots, lefts, rights, up & down hill shots! Elevation was in play but it was not a difficult hike. Wide open & heavily wooded shots. Holes that start in the woods & throw into the open & open shots that throw into the woods! Par 3, 4 & 5's! Large wood benches, trash cans, practice basket, bathrooms (port-a-johns), information kiosk with course maps & score cards. A large covered gazebo area with picnic benches. Outstanding tee signs & directional signs bring you in to the course from the street. New DisCatcher baskets & large tee pads. Some O.B., mandos & a small creek in play. Ammenities nearby (WalMart, BBQ, Subway, etc). Good flow to the course layout with next tee signs. Enough design change from hole to hole to keep play interesting. Large parking lot. Hole 9 ends at the parking lot if you need a break or only have enough time to play 9 holes.
Cons: Tee pads are a flat, corrugated plastic grate design with wood frame. They were fine for me (large with good traction) but some players may prefer concrete.
Other Thoughts: I was able to play the course with the designer & he was very open to any suggestions. The course recieves maintenance assistance from the city/county. He said he designed the course to be everything that a disc golfer could ever want. I'd say he succeeded!

Great Challenging Course

2-4    9/22/2012   9/30/2012
Review By: DiscGolfMaster
Pros: Perfect mixture of long and short holes in woods and out in the open. Great long holes which is a nice change from the short hold courses which dominate the area. Elevation adds alot of fun to this course and makes it a nice hike as well.
Cons: 11 is awful. Extremely hard hole to me. You need a semi long and perfectly accurate shot to get to the opening of the woods. Then another perfect and long shot just to get near the hole which is almost impossible with the random trees in the middle of the fairway and huge ditch right before the basket. And then theres a huge drop off behind the basket. Just a little too much stuff to deal with all on one hole. Cut down the trees in the fairway and fill the ditch and leave the drop off and you would have a great hole. This hole is the only reason why I did not rate this course and 5 disc.
Other Thoughts: 13 and 18 are rather difficult. Depending on your skill level this could be a pro or con. They are long holes with narrow fairways and require pin point accuracy. Little hard to get a disc to fly with the fairway on 18. it dog legs right then back left and then opens up. Still haven't managed to get my understable wraith to go right then left on it quite right yet. But I love a challenge!