Hopkins, MI
3 / 290ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Bring your lay-up game

1    4/11/2013   11/15/2013
Review By: B3NDER
Pros: This is a private course, owned and maintained by the owner of Spinski's DG shop. Jon was nice enough to let us play through as a group of "two" on a league night, props to him for that, thanks Jon!

-Course was very well maintained, with no visible trash to be seen, rough well kept and just a general "clean" feel to the surroundings.

Course has a somewhat risk/reward setup to it, as it plays over a creek a handful of times (maybe an understatement) so accuracy and placement are HUGE here!

There is a mix of baskets here from Discraft to DGA and even a lonely innova basket. One basket is located INSIDE of a junge gym (hole 11)

-Also, the baskets had arrows attached to them that point you in the direction of the next pad, which is a very helpful touch. No second guessing where the next hole is.
Cons: Repetition, repetition, repetition. Every hole is you throwing down an impossibly tight tunnel, or trying to avoid ending up in the creek. The creek is a nice touch from a nature standpoint, but please don't make it the focal point of the entire experience.
-Sometimes "laying up" is about the best you're going to get, unless swimming for plastic is your thing.

With all the rain we'd been getting lately, this most likely lazy creek was a sweltering, roaring beast that ate up my prized Star Wraith (which I waded around in, freezing my metallic ass off and soaking myself until I found) I know that the creek being flooded isn't the courses fault, but for all intents and purposes, I have to add this in in this section.

Other Thoughts: So take the good with the bad from this review. The owner is a great guy and I love his shop! I wish a little more work could go in at this course in terms of variety. Maybe open up some of the fairways a bit, and tone the focus on the creek down a little. Other than that, no complaints from me. If you have the opportunity to play this course, please take it!

putters and mids ahoy

1    4/11/2013   4/11/2013
Review By: apdrvya
Pros: Aesthetic-- Private course running through Jon's Backyard, no non-dg activities (unless the kids are playing). the creek is the focal point of this course and I'm sure the bane of most folks existence who play this course.

Baskets- Most are either DGA or Discraft. there is one basket (#12 I believe) that's an old Innova basket but the yellow ring makes it highly visible. All are in reasonable repair.

Risk v Reward/Challenge- Plain and simple, this course will kick your ass. the lines are impossibly tight, the creek will swallow discs whole if you throw errantly and the bugs (I'm assuming) are terrible in the summer. When we played it was monsoonal rain and the course was super muddy, it was our main obstacle that day.

Routing/nav-- not too bad, with the arrows hanging under the baskets, routing was easy, we didn't get lost at all.

Teesigns- highly visible. most baskets (except one I believe) were visible from the tee so no maps were needed. distances were stenciled in on the posts.

Uniqueness- this course is short but it will kick you right in the nuts. the few longer holes (#1, #11) integrate unique features such as the jungle gym and the meadow. One thing I do appreciate is that on the tougher creek shots (and other holes) there are distinct landing zones for those who aren't ballsy enough to go for it off the tee. Also, the hanging basket is an unnecessary, but unique touch

Upkeep- Because this is a private course, the upkeep is nice. there are trash cans and benches a plenty out here. I would imagine if it were dry and the bugs weren't bad, this course could be super lazily played. The bridges across the creek are nice, some are way better than others and the pallets to cross marshy areas are helpful.
Cons: Tees- the concrete tees are a delight, nice, flat and in great repair. the (mud) dirt ones are in good repair for dirt tees but hold water and mud like crazy making for no run up holes. where there are dirt pads, flags mark the end of the pad.

Repetition- this course, for all if it's positives in the risk v reward category feels like the same hole over and over again. every time you are throwing down hill to the creek or over the creek feels like the same hole. I get that the creek is a focal point but to cross the creek six times is a bit much. the fairways here are IMPOSSIBLY narrow. I get that you are rewarding accuracy but when you are throwing a lazy backhand or a skip shot on EVERY hole to avoid the creek it gets old.

Other Thoughts: when we were here the creek was extremely swollen due to the immense amounts of rain lately. I'm sure when the creek is lower, discs are relatively easy to retrieve. We watched so many people lose discs in the creek when we played, the feasibility of playing leagues here, or often, didn't seem realistic.

A Real Novelty

1    7/16/2012   7/16/2012
Review By: Anheuser
Pros: A very interesting course... never played anything quite like it! Has some very epic holes (#11 is played to a basket in a jungle gym... 12 is picturesque... one of the holes has a hanging basket.... very cool). Free to play, clean, nice people. Surprisingly easy to navigate.
Cons: The main gripe with this course is it's really not feasible as a legit disc golf course. The fairways are impossibly narrow in places and areas surrounding baskets are choked with trees. I'm assuming this is an attempt to up the difficulty level while using the shorter holes. It really doesn't work here, and just makes you say "seriously?" while looking at some of them.

Bugs are pretty bad on this course, as it's deep woods play next to water (including boggy, swampy areas on some holes) most of the time. I would imagine it would get pretty muddy if we hadn't played it in a drought.

Tee pads are absent for much of the course, and signage isn't the greatest, although it is there.
Other Thoughts: I think this course is a really hard one to rate. From a straight course overview (which is the way I'm scoring it) it's kind of a mess, but from a "wow, that's freaking cool" perspective it's a lot better. I would say if you're in the area at least play it once for the experience. I think if this course had a serious pruning and widening of fairways and the rest of the tee pads were put in it could rank as high as a 4 in my book. It would be a short, cool technical course as opposed to almost unplayable at spots.

Spinskis

5+    6/14/2012   6/17/2012
Review By: D-Roc
Pros: Great Layout
NO Trash
NO "Bad People"
Short short shots with tight lines that have made me a better golfer
The owner is a great guy
some one of a kind holes like the jungle jim hole and the hanging basket
the creek running through the course makes it tough considering it is 2 strokes
2 meter rule is in effect
lost disc box so if you do lose one theres a good chance you will get it back
Cons: i cant play it everyday!
Other Thoughts: Spinkskis is a great course and everyone should come out on thursdays and play!!

Accuracy Required

5+    5/31/2012   6/5/2012
Review By: steelniel
Pros: Very very challenging drives and upshots. Makes you throw straight!! Big drives not required. Makes you choose your shots wisely-(risk vs. reward)
Cons: Wet areas, thorns.
Other Thoughts: Constantly being improved on with course upgrades. Great atmosphere due its private course status. No trash laying around or unpleasant people either.