Kearney, MO
Jesse James DGC Share
Uploaded By: bazillion Hole #4 (Taken 7/2012)

Jesse James Disc Golf Course

5+    9/24/2016   7/11/2016
Review By: grok
This review was updated on 9/25/2016
Pros: Now that i've played it about 12 times now, I wanted to return to this one.
Wanted to apologize to designer for my "off the cuff, played it once" review about 2 mths ago.
Since playing this course, i have used it to hone throwing skills, as designer said it could be easily used for.
Below is a better review of the Jesse James Disc Golf Course.

- Nice size concrete launch pads.
- Holes 1 and 18 are near the parking lot.
- Course is well maintained
- Johnny's available
- Map at each hole.
- 1 Tee Pad to choose from each hole.
- Quiet and Quaint, nature-like atmosphere.
This Course is still in its infancy, therefore not much players come here yet. Guaranteed a nice quiet round.
- Good balance of hole types (Open & Skill)
- Trees, Rough, and OB is not bad. Hard to lose your disc here.
- Course is designed well for the amount of land given. Would like to see expansion of this course.
Cons: -Tee Pad Maps
I love the Tee Pad Maps, they are accurate and good graphic design.
Designer mentions you can see exits to the next Hole on the Tee Pad Maps. Coming from a new player point of view, and just general improvement to an already good course, i feel the course would benefit with some sort of "Indicator", at the end of a hole, showing players direction to the next hole. If you do not remember, or even notice to look for the direction to the next Tee Pad on the Tee Pad Map... you would need to travel back to the Tee Pad to observe direction to the hole.
- Per hole, the Baskets do not have a 2nd location. Pin always in same spot.
- No Water Access (I realize this is a JJ Park thing)
- No League Play or Local Tournaments held here.
- No city or community outreach on the "Welcome-Board" to the disc golf course yet.
There is a good map of the course however. I feel this will change as the sport and course gain popularity.
-More trash buckets, or cans, or whatever, at the Tee Pads would be beneficial.
I'm one to pick up trash if i see it, i'd like to know there is a trash can coming up, motivating me to pick up that trash.
There are some socks that have been on a tree on Hole 9 forever, and i wonder if they'll ever be removed? I simply haven't done it cause i'd have to carry them around till i found a trash can. gross!

Other Thoughts: Having played this course a bunch now, it is a pretty good course.
This course has a good balance of skill-shot holes and open-shot holes. Expect to learn how to control your throws if you're going to have a good round.
Some fave hole talk below.

Hole 3:
My favorite hole cause i am a Lefty(backhand). This hole is a fairway guarded on the left and right side by tall trees and ending with a slight dog-leg right into an open. The fairway is straight and dips down below tee pad level. At the end of the fairway straight, the trees guarding the fairway disappear and give way to a spacious green. I love powering over the trees on the left side in an attempt to drop it in the open area. Good luck Righties!
Hole 4:
I call this one the "Question Mark" hole, cause the hole is in the shape of a question mark on the map. It is a sharp dog-leg left. The hole is guarded by trees on both sides the whole way. I simply like the throw i have found for this hole. I've birdied this one quite a few times.
Hole 8:
This hole is a downhill Ace Run throw with some danger! It is a hole with 2 OBs (ponds) guarding it to the left and right. I love throwing this one... then fishing out my disc lol.
Hole 11:
I like this one simply cause i'm learning a forehand that is awesome here if i get it right.
This hole has a great deal of trees and shrubs directly between you and the pin. Rightie backhanders must hyzer around. Like i've mentioned, i'm a Leftie learning a forehand. Perfect practice for that on this hole.
Hole 12:
This is just a beautiful layout, hole 12. Although there is a tree on the right side of the Tee Pad that my Right-handed compadres have trouble with. This is definitely one of my favorite throws of the course. The view from the Tee Pad in the morning is majestic. Sun on the horizon, quiet, beautiful design in front of me. just awesome.
Hole 15:
This hole lines 33 highway, and is definitely tailored to a Rightie. There is a sweet tree-line down the left-side, making it tough for a Leftie backhander. Again, i simply like the throw i've discovered that works for me, so I obv like this hole.
Hole 16:
A long Mound to Mound throw over an open field.
I'll do this all day long!! I love this one.
Hole 18:
Again, just a beautiful layout here. Again, my right handed friends complain about the tree on the right side lol. I love it! Again the hole has some sweet shrubbery lining the left-side, but not tall enough to block a shot to that side. Good final hole for the course, and your car is right there!

Speaking of trees, hole 13!
I feel like Government built a wall thru this one, but we manage to get thru it here and there. lol
I have a friend who accidentally Aced this hole the other day, it was hilariously awesome!

Thanks again for the Kearney Course.
It is well-designed and a good addition to the Kearney Community.. just wish there was more promotion of disc golf in Kearney.
Again my apologies to the designer for my past review, i hope you find this one much more informative and in better taste.
It's awesome having a good course within miles of your home. Look forward to league and tourney play in the area. Hopefully Kearney and Smithville courses will someday be able to get involved.

Date: 9/28/2016 Designer Response by: dickparker
Well, since you updated your review, I guess I should update my comments. I whole heatedly agree with you that having next tee signs at the basket would be better than on the sign. It just wasn't in the budget for this course.

Socks? Gross. I hope that gets removed. I haven't been out there in a year or so. I'll try to get out there and see if we can't clean it up.

I'm glad you took the time to appreciate the course with a new attitude and appreciation for it. I hope my previous comments didn't make you feel you had to like the course better, I just felt I needed to make sure and touch on some of your earlier points.

As always, I appreciate your review and thank you for playing the course.

Kearney DGC

1    4/23/2016   4/24/2016
Review By: edclay
Pros: Challenging enough for my skill level and for power players on most holes. Good shots down fairways that are surrounded by trees and dogleg will get good scores. A couple of long holes let you test your distance. Doesn't seem to be long course.
Cons: Hilly, if that bothers you.
Other Thoughts: For some reason, I thought this would be dust bowl and not well maintained. It's as good as any course I have played and was very well maintained when I played.

1    3/25/2016   3/26/2016
Review By: OldGymRat
Pros: 1. Great signage with "next tee" posted.
2. Balanced blend of technical, accurate shots allow a person of less distance driving ability to compete with bigger armed people.
3. Elevation changes, throwing up and down hill make it interesting.
4. Tunnel shots keep the big arms people from dominating the game.
5.Restroom at hole 18.
6. Hole 18 and 1 are near each other (start at the parking lot and end at the parking lot).
7. Very little trash and I saw no graffiti.
8. Great venue, nice views, nice parking, picnic tables, resting benches, all concrete tees.
Cons: 1. If the course got busy with people on every tee waiting, you could get hit at times.
2. Lots of briar to tear up your clothes while getting stray discs.
Other Thoughts: Nice job building and maintaining this course.

1    1/12/2013   1/12/2013
Review By: astomps
Pros: + Holes 3,5,7,8,13
+ Brand new baskets
+ lots of technical shots and elevations changes
Cons: - needs grass in several places
- navigation doesnt flow logical in several spots (2->3, 6->7, 12->13)
- too many holes that are < 300 and dead straight with no obstacles (1,11,15, 16)
- thorns everywhere
- water hazard was torn up and drained when I was there
-if rainy or wet, very muddy

Other Thoughts: room for improvement but several good holes. 15-18 need pine trees or some obstacle...maybe man made wall or something.

Several holes could be improved by 40 extra feet or different basket placement

Jesse James

1    11/24/2012   12/3/2012
Review By: asjzn6
Pros: This cours had great use of the land that created quite unique shots. Good teepads, Signage was excellent. good baskets.
Cons: Only one course flow issue with hopping over to hole 10.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed the course, nice tight but fair gaps

Love the front nine

5+    8/31/2012   9/5/2012
Review By: Andy Williams
Pros: Good elevation changes. Good mixture of shots needed on the front nine. Love hole seven open shot across field down into woods then back up to the basket. Like hole eight as well with the ponds (all though it has been so dry that the ponds are just holes with tall grass). I looked at the tee sign and am already wanting spring to get here so I can see it with water in it.
Cons: Not a lot of cons for this course, but here goes. Need trash cans or buckets at a few more holes. I have only seen one at hole one. Fairly new course and I have stared noticing more and more trash on the course. Hopefully with some trash cans on the course some inconsiderate people will throw their trash away. Hole 15,16 and 18 feel like the same hole to me (pretty straight forward not a lot of obstacles. I've even played the front nine and skipped over to sixteen and played to eighteen.
Other Thoughts: Please take my review with a grain of salt as I haven't played many courses (4 so far). This is the first course I've played (and reviewed) so I don't have a lot to compare it to.

Great Course with More to Come

1    7/17/2012   7/17/2012
Review By: bazillion
This review was updated on 7/22/2012
Pros: Wow! A course designer who knows his stuff plus a local group of players that's willing and able to execute to a very high standard equals a round of golf that stands among the classics.

Let's start at the beginning.

At hole 1 (fall out of your car and you're on the teepad) you have a really classy bench, a high-quality kiosk complete with large, easy-to-read map, and a great warmup hole: uphill, no obstacles, just what you need to get the blood flowing.

After that warmup you ease into a series of technical holes that present various line-shaping challenges through the woods. The fairways are narrow, the rough, ROUGH, and the variety is constant.

For instance, check out hole #5, which is short but uphill and incorporates an extreme dogleg left. It's probably reachable with an overhand shot but since I don't do that well I'm forced to play the fairway, which looks a bit like a worm on a hot sidewalk.

Or check out #8, which is also short, this time downhill, but once you shoot the gap between the trees you have to land on a narrow strip between two OB ponds.

Then there's #10, which actually starts with a forced annie shot and then doubles back on itself with a dogleg left.

Sprinkled in the mix are a couple of ace runs and then, starting with #14, some long bomb opportunities. 18 is probably the weakest hole on the course, looks almost like an afterthought, but once you've navigated the first 17 holes you're glad to see something so straightforward.

All throughout the course, the tees were generous and the baskets pristine. The signage, though, really showed what could be done. Every sign showed the hole layout, the distance, the par, the location of the next tee, any mandos, and it was all done tastefully, without clutter. Ten gold stars to whoever did this.
Cons: The main "con" here is the lack of amenities once you leave tee #1. It would be a really significant improvement to see a few benches here and there (buck a log into two-foot segments and presto!) and trash cans likewise. Seems a shame that a course that's been open for less than a month already shows beer cans, cigarette packs, and other cr@p that people have "mistakenly" forgotten to pack out.

With the amount of work that's already gone into this course, those two items seem pretty simple and would easily add half a disc to my rating.

The only other thing I didn't like was the fact that you had to cross #10's fairway to get from #12's basket to the tee for #13. Seems to me that if you played 12 (backwards) first and then 11 (backwards) next, that problem would disappear.
Other Thoughts: Somebody has put birdhouses up in several places in the woods. No birds that I could see living there yet, but they're sort of a signal to avoid trees - a good philosophy in general, imo.

All in all, this is a very classy course that will only get better as the community continues to take care of their baby. I'll be back, you bet.

ADD: Talked with the designer, who clarified a couple of my comments above. Hole #18 will change dramatically when the young trees there grow up. Give it a few years and that hole will be on a par with the rest of the course.

Also, regarding the order of play of #11 and 12, the Parks Dept had safety issues with the jogging path - that's why it was configured the way it was.

Stay on the Fairways!

2-4    7/8/2012   7/9/2012
Review By: Hoeser
Pros: Very good mix of wide open and very technical shots needed here. Surprisingly challenging for a shorter course, but also a nice use of the existing land and park design. Brand new signs are very nice, as are the bright yellow DISCatcher targets.
Cons: There is still some poison ivy and honey locust trees and other thorny threats if you get off the main fairway. Not many trash cans or benches (yet) - but that will come in time.
Other Thoughts: Very well-designed and thought out, another home run for Dick Parker!

Good and bad

5+    8/8/2012   6/19/2012
Review By: Clumsy Fumbles
This review was updated on 8/14/2012
Pros: This park has nice Tee boxes, chains and rolling hills. Going to be a nice water hazard soon when park is complete. good technical shots.
UPDATE: The park is done and the city has sprayed and gotten rid of a lot of the poison ive, oak and sumac. They have also cleared a lot of brush from the fairway and made it more forgiving if you throw a little too far to either side.
Cons: POISON IVY,OAK AND SUMAC!!!!! I am really allergic to this stuff and it's everywhere!!! I've already had to go to the hospital. Heavily wooded and with lots of the poison ivy,oak and sumac. If you throw too far to the left or right you will go into the woods.
Other Thoughts: I do like this course the only downfall for me is the heavily wooded area with poison ivy.

Good, but oh so bad

1    5/15/2012   6/6/2012
Review By: redbirdfaninkc
Pros: Great little course. Isn't all the way finished yet but when it is it will be nice.
Cons: It is impossible to know where to throw unless you have played it and you know, or there is someone else that knows. In my case there were people there to ask or I would've been wondering all over. THE SINGLE biggest CON of this course is the narrow fairways and thick thick woods on either side and TONS of poison Ivy, oak, and sumac. I played one time and two days later and I got poison ivy all over me. It makes the course not worth playing.
Other Thoughts: If you can drive perfectly straight and never go off course you will love this place, if you get off course, GOOD LUCK!