Raleigh, NC
Kentwood Share
Hole #7 Tee: Uphill, slightly to the right. Large tree in the middle of the fairway.

Fun round but nothing special

2-4    10/6/2014   11/4/2014
Review By: Jiggy202
Pros: -Good mix of open and wooded holes
-The elevation changes play out really well for this course
-Every tee is labeled with hole # and distance
- Easy to navigate after playing through the course once or with a course map the first time around
-Good course to work on the mid-range and putting
Cons: -Awkward concrete tee pads. Many are too skinny and not level. Some are even falling apart.
-A few crossing fairways
-A few holes are bit too close to others
Other Thoughts: This was the first time I played this course. It was easily navigable with a map. In fact I only needed it to find my way to 2 or 3 tees. I played on a weekday in the early afternoon. There were a good number of groups on the course. I can imagine it gets very busy on the weekends and evenings. Add in the few crossing fairways and things can get a little complicated. However, if you are mindful of others on the course it is workable. The distance of the course is on the shorter side but you can still go out and have a fun round. The elevation changes are a positive for this course, but they don't make it any more challenging. The tee pad issue is not as crucial with shorter length of this course, yet it's still annoying. Yes, there are a bunch of rocks on a few holes, but that really didn't bother me at all. Different types of ground cover is part of the game, and I think it makes this course more unique. The creek near some of the holes adds a little bit of a welcome challenge. However it was dry when I played and basically no factor.
Overall this is just an ok course. Not great but not too bad either. I would play it again if I was in the area and l wanted to get a quick round in. Of course it would have to be on off peak hours, this course gets busy because of its good location. It seems like it would be a great course for beginners or someone just looking to improve their short game. I enjoyed the course, it's just not one you need to go out of your way to play.

2-4    9/22/2014   9/22/2014
Review By: Jaydo
Pros: A nice mix i think. I like the elevation chance on some of the holes.
Cons: Typical public park course in a city. Trashed a little bit, not well marked, but if you play a couple of times you find your way around just fine. Tee pads need some attention.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed the course, I wish a few holes were longer, but this is a good middle of the road city park course.

Bring old discs

1    9/3/2013   9/14/2013
Review By: JMcCon
Pros: Nice park. Fun Holes. A little challenge in some spots.
Cons: Hard to navigate. If it wasnt for the nice local guy that played with me, it would have been confusing to navigate the course. Get a map before if you havnt played. SO MANY ROCKS! Id say half the course is in a sort of wooded hill area but the hill it nothing but jagged rocks, thats why i say bring some old discs you dont mind banging up.
Other Thoughts: Fun course overall and i am glad i got to play it. I could see where some of the holes kind of intersect and would be bad for heavy traffic.

Might as well...

5+    12/31/2012   12/31/2012
Review By: pfpro
Pros: - convenient - 3 turns puts you in the parking lot from the interstate.
- good beginner course. Shooting 54 should be achievable for beginners.
- two practice baskets - you can practice putting back and forth.
- good elevation mix - about half plays flat and the other half plays up and down a hill. Since the course is essentially two interwoven clockwise circles, it mixes the two portions nicely.
- established course in a park that is essentially for DG. Benches at most holes.
Cons: - busy, busy, busy. If you're not playing a non-holiday, weekday morning, expect heavy traffic. I played this afternoon, there were probably a dozen or so groups on the course. I usually play solo (not today), so expect to have some waiting. The plus to this is, if you haven't played the course before - there will probably be someone playing in front of you to show you the layout!
- teepads are old, small and narrow. You really don't need a run-up, so small teepads don't really matter that much.
- the layout is tight. I don't really have suggestions on how to make it better. The course has an OK mix of (short) shots, but is LHBH dominant with the clockwise play. A few fairways cross. A few teeboxes are really close to previous fairway so you have to wait for the group ahead of you to tee off before you do.
- The course is worn. The baskets are pretty beat and just dark metal. Can be hard to see, depending on the time of year and foliage. Sometimes someone puts markers on, but they can be a little tough to see first time through. The ground is eroded, so there are a lot of rocks to chew through non-premium plastic...
Other Thoughts: I play this course from time to time to change it up from my home course. It's a good opportunity to work on my mids and driving putter. My favorite holes are 12 (tunnel with 2 trees in the middle), and 9/18 are both downhill across a creekbed. There are other courses I would rather play, but sometimes convenience puts me here. When here, you ,might as well play.

A Rocky Road

5+    4/15/2011   4/15/2011
Review By: mx23ang
This review was updated on 11/9/2012
Pros: Rather short holes so the average player can make some bird's
decent baskets
good mix of shot selection
Cons: This place gets crowded quick on pretty days but I have gotten there plenty of times at 10 am and had the course pretty much to myself, with the crowd comes disc flying at you everywhere because alot of the holes criss-cross each other and many tee-pads are like really really close to the baskets. I actually got hit on #2 in the ribs one day (glad it wasnt a distance driver lol). Holes 4-8 and 14-17 are set on a hill with rocks everywhere so yea they eat up your plastic pretty quick.
Other Thoughts: lastly a couple of local punks keep spray painting the baskets, tee-pads, and flora life. Please quit being destructive so everyone can enjoy!!!!!

As a side note, why the hell do I need to repeat what others are saying about the course to get a vote up?? This course is short, has many ace runs, and is great for beginners, nuff said about kent-rock-city

Short and Rocky

5+    4/3/2011   4/5/2011
Review By: New013
This review was updated on 6/15/2011
Pros: Kentwood is a short and well rounded course. It has a mix of open/wooded holes with a good mix of elevation changes.
The course is in a city park which is kept fairly clean and trimmed. It has bathrooms and a water fountain.
There are a nice mix of dog legs to the left and right as well as a few 300' downhill shots.
Every hole has a teepad and regulation basket.
Lots of birdie openings. You can get real far under once you get used to the course. A lot of the holes have ace potential.
It's a fun course to play with groups and doubles. It seems like every time I play doubles it comes down to who can birdie 18.
Has five really fun holes. 8,9,10,14 and 18.
Cons: The course is short and there are five or six straight on shots from a short distance. Half of the course is covered in rocks which f up your disc and make barefoot playing painful.
It's usually crowded, especially on really nice days. A lot of time you might end up starting from a random hole or getting stuck behind group after group.
Police frequent the parking lot quite often and seem to go after long haired/bearded types. As long as you keep unsanctioned activities in the back of the course you'll be okay.
Fairways cross three or four times and sometimes you have to wait to tee off because someone is playing.
The course is right against some houses which can be hit or cause you to lose your disc because it gets stuck in some crap in a persons yard where you can't see it.
The road comes in to play on one hole.
Other Thoughts: Overall it's a good course to practice mids and putts on. There's not many driving holes and the long ones are really uphill or really downhill. If you want to up your ace count its the place to go in the area.
The course is pretty rain proof with the exception of 10,12 & 13.

UPDATE - I'm dropping my rating down to 2.5 because this course is always so crowded during prime disc golf times. Honestly its a pain to even be there some days unless you play by yourself and can play through.

Fun Beginner Course

1    9/4/2010   9/4/2010
Review By: DiscJunkie
Pros: Very good course for families and beginners. Open enough that you don't get frustrated but most every direct route from the tee to the basket is challenged. Good use of elevation. Tees marked with distances. Two practice baskets spaced about 75' apart makes for good putting practice.
Cons: Navigation could be easier. The route to the next basket is not always intuitive, but once around is all you need. Friendly locals helped me out. No directional pointers from the basket to the next tee. The course was crowded, and apparently stays that way. There were lots of slow players when I was there. Be careful of players around you. A couple of paths from tee to basket actually cross the fairway, exposing you to throws from the tee. The fairways are laid out fairly tight. The land gets maximum usage. Keep your head up and watch players around you. Several times while I was playing, a disc from another group landed near us and startled us. Tee signs were non-existent, except for distance markers. Don't be fooled by the "concrete tees. They are barely adequate and will frustrate players used to "poured" tees. These tees are small and many of them are landscaping blocks with a corner missing. they must've gotten a great deal on them. They were at most tees. Again, the tees are fairly narrow, but usually long enough. I perfer them to natrual tees, but they could've been better and bigger.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I REALLY enjoyed this course. No holes over 300', uphill and downhill tee shots. Anny's and hyzers required. Lots of Ace runs. My son, who is a beginner, also enjoyed the course. Often he commented that he could get threes becasue the course wasn't too long. Anything that gets him into DG is great by me. The course is NOT very challenging, but the fun factor was high. There is a great playground for the kiddies nearby and tennis courts as well. Permanent bathrooms. Benches at most every tee. Shade is abundant. The course has a lot of stone-covered landing areas. It's a great way to break in a new discs. Not many places to lose a disc. What little water we saw was clear and shallow.

Little bit...

1    12/27/2009   12/27/2009
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Nice clean park. All pads are concrete and all baskets are in place. Close to
NC State if you go there. Short and simple. Easy to get to from anywhere in Raleigh.
Cons: Little bit of elevation, but not too much to influence your shots. Little bit of trees, but not enough to make anything difficult. Little bit of concrete on the tee pads, but not enough to make you feel safe and secure. Little bit of distance, but not enough to throw anything other than a putter or a mid. Basically too little of everything.
Other Thoughts: Nothing good or bad about this course. Not worth a trip, but playable if you live close by. Not a bad choice if you just want to play a round with your putter. You won't get too hurt by errant or short throws. Almost impossible to lose a disc. With so many good courses in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area this one doesn't cry out to be played.

Nice place to visit... Wouldn't want to live there.

2-4    6/18/2009   7/13/2009
Review By: laxrulz777
Pros: Quick course with limited walking
Good use of terrain (although poor fairway placement on a few holes)
Some interesting throws
Very little underbrush and only 1 or 2 holes where you could possibly lose a disc.
Cons: Relatively short
Lots of rocks that chew up your disc no matter how well you throw (could they not at least put some pine straw or cedar chips down at the pin?)
Very busy
Very crowded holes (including two criss crossed holes, one of which you walk blindly across without being able to see the throws coming)
Other Thoughts: I like playing this as a change of pace or when we're in a hurry to get a round in before dark. A twosome playing reasonably quickly should finish this in 45min - 1 hour depending on the how busy it is. I would recommend going right before dark (say 7 o'clock in the summer).
If this was my regular course, I'd get frustrated pretty quick. It's not particularly challenging and it has a lot of minor annoyances that really add up. Having said that, we do play it off and on and it's a nice change of pace. I would challenge yourself to practice throws you wouldn't otherwise do. Play a whole round forehand (or backhand if you normally throw forehand). Throw pancakes or (where there's no rocks) rollers.

B- = Bit Better Than Average

2-4    7/17/2005   4/23/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B-
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- C
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.