Newport News, VA
Hole #5 White Tee

Perfect Beginner Course

2-4    2/14/2014   2/16/2014
Review By: chillumz
Pros: The park is very close and accessible by way of I-64 and close enough for regular play for anyone in NN, York County, or Williamsburg.

The course is mostly separate from the rest of the picnic/playground areas in the park which makes for good play away from the rest of the visitors.

There is a decent mix of open/wooded holes. They are pretty well maintained and the fields are mowed regularly.

The wooded holes on the front 9 (4-7) offer a chance to get some good lines, but arent particularly crazy.
Cons: Overall the course is solid but a little boring. There are no standout holes, and there is virtually no elevation change to speak of. As a result, many holes run together in my memory (specifically the back 9 which run through sparsely wooded fields).
The back 9 are almost all straightaway shots with a few trees near the basket just to force a little strategy, but nothing challenging.
Other Thoughts: This was the first course I ever played when I still lived in NN. Despite the cons I've listed above, I do think this course offers a great introduction to disc golf for any beginner. The holes aren't too long nor challenging, which is good for learning the ins and outs of tossing a disc in the woods and in a field.
All in all, Newport News DGC is definitely worth a visit, although not one to go gaga over.

Beautiful Plain Jane

2-4    3/12/2012   2/12/2013
Review By: optidiscic
Pros: This course surprised me. I still don't understand why I liked it so much. It meets none of my typical criteria for a good course. I will attempt to come to grips with my nonsensical joy here. It was easy to get to (right off the exit), easy to walk (flat sandy soils), and easy to navigate (intuitive)...the basics are here bathrooms, signs, 2 concrete tees per hole.
The disc golf had some wonderful variety with only one open long distance bomber hole (#2) the rest of holes required low canopy power and precision, tight woodsy line hitting, and throwing around moderate obstacles in semi-open mowed parkland that seemed removed from other park activities. I ran into more deer than people despite the mowed and manicured feel of this park. I threw a variety of discs, distances, lines and took a smattering of birdies,pars and bogeys. There seemed to be moderate challenge on every hole which induced me to think I could birdy off of every tee. A relatively stress free round with minimal chance for disc loss (sans leaves perhaps)...highlights for me were the thumber line on 16, the array of technical shots from 4-8 the unique dive into the woods on 3, and emptying my bag on 18...it's one of those visually I can park it every time holes...fun. This course probably grew on me for the fun factor of running baskets combined with low stress and the variety the 2 tees provided. I played the longs and then the shorts. I enjoyed both rounds. Probably the perfect amateur course as well as a great place to practice on a daily basis due to the variety and lines demanded here without ever overwhelming a player.
Cons: It's flat. Perhaps 1 hole ,#17, that gives the impression of a hill, but lets be honest it's just a gulley. It doesn't have any true par 4s. There is not any remarkable or special hole here that would draw me back to it or make me talk about the course to others. It's just a plain flat disc golf course in a park really. (Which in this case for some reason works)
Other Thoughts: Even though theres nothing special here there is enough solid golf and variety of foliage and shots required that I was never bored here. I would equate Newport News to that girl that appears plain but you are attracted to her anyway because she's just fun to hang out with and for some reason she grows on you.

Really nice course

5+    2/8/2012   2/12/2012
Review By: J-Mo
Pros:
-Cement tees
-Well manicured
-Signs at each tee
-Benches/Trash cans throughout
-Parking right next to hole 1
-Huge children's playground right near hole 1 (drop the kids off and grip it/rip it)
-Good, diverse assortment of different types of holes (wooded or open).
-Only about a 3 minute drive from the freeway
-Daily fee is only $2
-Annual pass is only $20
-Bag holder at each tee
-Baskets are in great shape
-Practice basket near hole 1
-No "disc losing" water hazards (there are a few small creeks you throw over, but nothing deep enough to lose any discs)
Cons:
-Can get busy on certain days (weekends/holidays etc)
-Closed certain days of the year (see list below)
-Not very difficult if your skill level is above amateur
Here is a list of days that the disc golf course is closed for 2012:
Nov 22 through Jan 1 (4:30pm - sunset) - Celebration in Lights

For information/updates, call 757-886-7912 or 757-888-3333

1    11/27/2011   11/27/2011
Review By: Wildcat_29
Pros: Nice relatively easy course. It is nice to go to a course that has some challenge but isnt going to ruin your time if you let it rip.
Cons: Too short, some of the Par 5's could be had in 3 or 4 easily. It would be nice if there were arrows pointing to the next tee box on the signs.

2-4    11/13/2011   11/14/2011
Review By: Dixie Boy
Pros: Had my first ace here! Well maintained. Open enough to allow for some mistakes. Holes well marked and easy to follow.
Cons: The last nine holes are not as challenging as the first nine. Can be busy on the weekend.
Other Thoughts: It would be nice not to have to drive to the campsite office to pay, especially since there is a park ranger office near the parking area for the course.

Play it from the REDS!

5+    7/4/2011   7/15/2011
Review By: subymike77
Pros: -Easy to navigate
-2 starting pads per hole
-concrete pads
-layout
Do yourself a favor and play from the reds(long pads). This hole is fun from the whites but if you want a challenge go from the reds. If you have played here from only the whites, playing from the reds makes this a completly different course.
Cons: Pretty flat, not much in elevation changes.
No water hazards
Gets crowded on weekend afternoons

Nice municipal course

5+    2/28/2009   12/31/2009
Review By: tmahan
Pros: This course gives several different looks before settling on one for the back nine. #1 tees at the end of the parking lot along the fence line toward the road and is a straight forward 250 open fairway to a pin guarded by a pair of trees, good warmup hole. If your not warmed up yet you will be soon, #2 is wide open 400'er where you can air out, and make you wonder why it is that wide open pins are the hardest to approach? Nice and loose now? Good, now you dial it down for a bit while you enter the technical phase of our course. #3 is an open 200ish to a pin just tucked into the woods through that one section of open fence. Don't miss your entrance here or you may be pitching out. #4 - #8 are classic Virgina woods holes and probably my favorite part of the course, with #7 being the toughest. You begin to see daylight again at the ninth tee where you find a hard dogleg right and an open fairway. The back nine is where you enter the moderately wooded phase of the course, some of these seem repetitive but are enjoyable nonetheless due to the unique pin settings. Most of these are 200-250' through moderate fairways that usually offer a couple choices, but the challenge is getting the disc to the nestled targets, adding a nice dimension to therwise pitch-and-putt holes. These are mostly flat and through a large pine forest, but #17 has a bit of a grade and is probably the best of the back. The good news here is that except for the wooded section of the front you won't be spending much time (in any) searching for discs. It's also literally almost right on I-64, if you've got an hour to wait for the Hampton Roads Tunnel traffic to clear then you've got time to play NNP.
Cons: The course isn't long, I can hit double digits down from the short tees and I have a rag arm, but the long tees spice things up a bit. Being in Tidewater, it lacks the elevation changes I require from a great course. The back nine definitely has a deja vu element.
Other Thoughts: On one hand you could look at this as a short, flat course without any wowzer holes, on the other hand there's an element of fun here that keeps me coming back here on my trips to VA Beach (though New Quarter is my first priority). There are lots of birdie opps but for the most part you have to earn them, which along with the technical woods holes pushes this one up to Very Good for me.

Enjoyable Course

1    9/6/2009   9/6/2009
Review By: heyraffaello
Pros: The course has a good mix of open and wooded holes, and if played from the red tees, some are moderately long. It seems as though the course is well maintained, and there are some challenging tee shots over, around, and through fences.
Cons: It hadn't rained in a few days when I went and while I understand that mostly, it was just morning dew, there were a few spots where the ground was saturated. The transition between the front and back nine is a bit confusing, but with some help from the map, we made it work. Since it is in a coastal area, there isn't a lot of elevation change, and some of the wide open holes could be longer (why have nothing in the way if you have to hold back on your distance?).
Other Thoughts: Apparently you have to pay to play this course. A friend of mine lives up the street, so we figured we'd head over in the morning, and apart from the one other group that was playing, we didn't see anyone else there at all. I saw that the course gets busy, so I would imagine that going early (9-11AM) would be ideal on the weekends to avoid crowds.

Better than Bayville

1    8/21/2009   8/26/2009
Review By: halasjackson
This review was updated on 9/9/2009
Pros: Beautiful setting. Good variety of foliage obstacles -- bare tree trunks in the woods and lush, low foliage out in the open. A few "Jedi" holes (3 & 9) where you have to navigate fences into and out of the woods. Decent mix of wooded and open holes -- several opportunities to really chuck it out there. Tees are in excellent condition and generally easy to find. Hole 17 is the highlight. Course map is helpful.
Cons: Kind of a short course. Recommend playing from the reds no matter what. Obviously, traffic going from Norfolk to Newport News sucks.
Other Thoughts: Saw several deer and squirrels that cam right up to us..

Good course

5+    4/17/2009   4/17/2009
Review By: SomeChump
Pros: The closest thing to a home course I've got. This is officially a pay-to-play course, but I haven't been carded in 30+ rounds. I'm not really sure where you're supposed to pay anyway, but it certainly isn't anywhere near the course. Given all the other stuff in the park, I don't know that the money raised by disc golf really goes back to the course anyway. I don't understand why I can walk the course with my dog for free but if I want to throw a frisbee while I do it I should drive 5 miles out of my way to pay $2. Anyway, rant over. Maybe I should have put that in the cons section.

The pros are that it is straightforward and signed very well. Two paved tee pads per hole (red is long for some reason, white is short here) plus some gold and blue posts which are tough to find. I've never played them but I have stumbled across them from time to time. There is a great mix of true tree holes with real fairways and more open holes, but few straight shots. There is a Tuesday evening mini, but I haven't made it there yet. You get to see some deer if you're out there at a non-busy time.
Cons: Can get muddy. I see lots of "Boy Scout" or "Church Youth Groups" out here playing in a pack of 10 or 15 with one real disc golfer among them. Usually they're really good about letting you through though. I'm always worried that someday I'll actually be carded by a Ranger and have to learn where I'm supposed to go pay. The public par is a joke. You shoot from the closest tees and you get an extra 7 strokes to do it. There are 2 "Par 5s" under 400 feet, a 178 foot "par 4", and two par 4s under 300 feet. It is reasonable to play the whole thing as a par 3 knowing that there are 3 or 4 holes where you'll need a nice drive, a nice approach, AND a nice putt to make par and a hella lucky shot to get a bird. A few of the holes are close to the road, so the road noise distracts a bit, but it isn't bad.
Other Thoughts: Favorite hole is #6 from the longer tee. Desperate par 3. If you make it to the short tee on your first shot you're doing well. #15 and 16 are also fun since neither allows the straight shot but both have multiple other options.