Grafton, WI
Lime-Kiln Park Share

5+    7/25/2013   8/11/2013
Review By: optimalben
Other Thoughts: This is the first course I ever played (way back in 1999). I liked it then, and I still like it. It was my "home" course up until 2005 when I went off to college, and I still play it when I'm back in town.

Having played other courses in WI (and now in other states, too), though, really reminds me of Lime Kiln's limitations. It's only 9 holes; it's not particularly "technical" (accuracy isn't rewarded enough). But it's convenient and fun, if you live in Ozaukee County. If you don't, there's no reason to make the trip; play one of the other more interesting courses in the area, i.e., Tendick, Dretzka, Brown Deer Park, instead

Best 9-Holer I've Played, But...

1    5/26/2011   5/26/2011
Review By: jhgonzo
Pros: 1. Setting. This course plays through a gorgeous, well-kept park with some great views of the river, historic structures (the namesake kilns near the finishing hole), small crystal-clear creeks, and even a small waterfall. There is plenty of elevation here, which is used quite well (however, there are also some cons regarding the same).
2. Variety. There is some elevation change on pretty much every hole, some risky greens, lots of chances to air out a big drive, blind holes (more in the cons) and only a few chances to pick up an easy deuce. Hole #7 was probably my favorite, a fun steep downhill shot through a generous yet wooded corridor.
3. The concrete tee pads were all in great shape.
4. Most of the baskets were in good condition and caught well, with the exception of #8, which looked rusty and as if someone had tampered with the chain arrangement.
5. The river/rapids could come into play on #1, and there are some other little creeks that could be played as OB hazards, although none of them were significantly flowing even after some heavy rains the night before I played.
Cons: 1. Navigation can be a bit confusing in spots without a map or locals. I played in the morning on a weekday, so I had no groups to follow and didn't see any maps posted. I stepped on #9's tee pad after playing #2, then glanced at the sign and realized I was on the wrong tee, so had to do some more searching.
2. Tee signs, while all intact, are very minimally helpful. There apparently are multiple pin locations, but no indicator on the signs as far as which one is in play; this results in a LOT of walking up the fairway to find the basket, since over half of the holes are blind AND uphill.
3. The blind uphill shots, while all unique in their own regard, get redundant. With all the awesome terrain available here, I see no reason why there should be 5 holes of this type (2, 3, 5, 6, and 9) on a 9-hole course.
4. The basket for #8 is in close proximity to #3's tee pad. I'm not sure if this becomes an issue on the park's busier days since I had the whole course to myself, but a big drive coming out of the woods on #8 could pose a potential hazard to players on #3.
5. The overall flow didn't seem well thought out. It's as if the course was designed as 9 separate 1-hole courses and then the numbering was decided; this probably wasn't the case, and I'm not griping about the walks between holes...it just seemed kind of goofy, and a redesign wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is a really fun course, but I wouldn't recommend it for beginners since the hole lengths and uphill shots will only serve to frustrate (kids, too). It's nice to see a 9-holer that provides this much challenge and decent distances, and traveling disc golfers should definitely try to make a stop here...just make sure to bring a map and ignore the tee signs. With a playground and so much scenery available, those of us with small children and/or significant others who aren't disc golfers will still have plenty to enjoy. This was a surprising stop on my 3-course mini-trip, although since I had it wish listed for a while and had been tracking reviews I already knew I would be pretty pleased. That said, I'd like to see just a wee bit more variety as far as how the terrain is utilized, should a redesign ever become a possibility.

Fun 9er

1    7/5/2010   7/11/2010
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a pretty and hilly park with very cool old lime kilns and a river adding to the scenery here. Most of the holes have some kind of elevation change to keep it interesting and add some challenge, including a few tough uphill holes and a fun downhill ace run shooting straight down a sled hill with thick rough waiting to catch an errant shot. There are a few holes that play down defined fairways like this, and the rest play through scattered mature trees with grassy open fairways.

There is nice variety of length here, with everything from ace run holes to a longer drive where you'll pull out a driver. It also makes you hit a variety of lines to be successful, and plays pretty balanced for righty or lefty players. There are multiple pin positions that change up the shots and difficulty, and it seems like they are changed reasonably often adding some nice variety. There are concrete tees that are in decent shape, and basic hole signs for every tee.
Cons: There is no marking to show what pin placement is in use, and there are enough blind holes that it makes for quite a bit of extra walking to know where to throw. There are also a couple of transitions to the next hole where some signage would help alleviate some navigation issues. There are some holes that play very close to roads and picnic areas that could be safety issues if players aren't careful. I would have enjoyed more of the holes bringing the woods into play, though I'm not sure if there's much more room to do that here.
Other Thoughts: This is a very fun little 9 hole course that's worth a stop if you're in the area. It's reasonably beginner friendly though there are some tighter holes with thick rough. More experienced players will find some nice challenges here, and some great elevation shots including a scenic uphill shot to finish past an old lime pile up to the kilns.

Lime Kiln

4/10/2008   6/6/2008
Review By: andymeunier
Pros: Lots of elevation changes. # 7 is strait down a huge hill with lots of trees on eater side. This is a pretty short friendly course for people to learn how to play, however with the elevation and the trees it can be a challenge for the better player as well. # 9 is one of my favorite holes around, leading you down the path of the kilns. BEAUTIFUL
Cons: Not much variety, personally I don't really care for courses with only 9 holes. The park can be very busy depending on the time of year.