Tampa, FL
Picnic Island DGC Share
Uploaded By: RussMB Hole #2 (Taken 10/2012)

Nice scenery but expected more

1    8/23/2013   8/23/2013
Review By: MikeK
Pros: I liked the rubber tee pads. The scenery was pretty good. Baskets are flawless and have multiple pins and arrows to guide players to the next tee. Couple of nice par 4s from the pro tees (3&4). Lots of wildlife including pelicans, herons, raccoons and fish.
Cons: This is probably the first time that I encountered a course that doesn't jive with its score here at DGCReview. I was staying at a hotel by the Tampa airport and I usually don't bother with 9-basket courses if I have a choice but this one was rated so high and it was pretty close to the hotel so I figured it would be worth the effort. Well, I'm still trying to figure out the allure of this place. Yes, the views are nice and there's a decent variety of holes with varying lengths and difficulty but I really wasn't as impressed as the previous reviewers of this course were. I was pretty bored.
Other Thoughts: Navigation was pretty easy, and the am & pro tee pads are close enough together to play them both on one pass. I didn't like the long walks in between 2 & 3, 6 & 7 and 9 & 1. Hole 3 was my favorite, a great par 4 from the pro tee that requires an accurate drive through or over two thick trees and then a lengthy upshot around a lot of trees and rough for the 3.

Is this really in Tampa?

1    8/1/2012   8/19/2012
Review By: v0nn3gut
Pros: This course is definitely in a little world of it's own, secluded from the city on the tip of the little peninsula that is South Tampa. Some nice views of St. Pete across the bay.

Relatively close to PDQ.

Easily accessible from Pinellas.

Very nice baskets.
Cons: Course itself is rather unremarkable. Front nine plays around VERY overgrown areas with some trees but by no means in a wooded area. Back nine is more open and is the more shared area of the park.

I played this course very early morning and the mosquitos were already out in force. I recommend lots of OFF and high socks.

Tee pads are rubber and thus lame.

Other Thoughts: Not a bad course, but not one that I'm going to rush back to play. If I do go back it will definitely be in the winter time as the skeeters made play and disc-retrieval less than enjoyable at times...

PICNIC ISLAND

1    6/19/2012   6/20/2012
Review By: tedy4444
Pros: FOR RUBBER PADS THEY ARE VERY NICE. SOME NICE, TECHNICAL LINES AND SOME NICE OPEN ONES. WORTH DRIVING UP TO 30 MINUTES FOR. NICE FACILITIES.
Cons: ONLY 9 HOLES. THERE IS PLENTY OF ROOM TO PUT 9 MORE. SOME OF THE ALTERNATE PADS ARE BARELY ANY DIFFERENT FROM ONE ANOTHER. NEEDS A WATER FOUNTAIN. THERE MAY HAVE BEEN ONE AND WE JUST DIDNT SEE IT.
Other Thoughts: ITS SO GREAT TO SEE ALL OF THESE NEW PARKS OPENING IN THE AREA.