Cypress, TX
Goodson Middle School Share
Uploaded By: srm_520 Hole #7 (Taken 5/2012)
Hole #7 Tee: Road is O.B.

A Nice Practice Area

2-4    5/5/2012   5/5/2012
Review By: srm_520
Pros: This is a small school course in its most basic form. The biggest positive of this course is the quality of pins and that they were installed correctly with locks and collars. Pins are numbered and the entire layout is visible from pretty much any location. There are also some nice old growth trees, although only #3 and #7 attempt to capitalize on them.

Much like Cedar Brook Elementary, this is a fantastic course to introduce kids the sport, or have an open area to practice techniques, approach shots, or putting. It's just the kind of course my wife loves to play because she doesn't get frustrated. Having once worked at this school I can tell you firsthand that no one ever plays here, so although I wouldn't frequent this place for a round, since it's so close - it's a great area for practice.

Best Hole/s: #3
Cons: With most school courses, the cons far outweigh the pros. First, there are no tee boxes, so you'll have to play pin to pin, pick a spot, or maybe just say heck with it and spend your time safari golfing (which does has a few possibilities). The length is way too short, the layout is average and doesn't take advantage of the land real well, and transition from #3 to #4 to #5 is weird. Makes me think someone just switched the #4 and #5 basket if it were actually flowing like the rest of the course - however, I'm actually happy at the current placement, because it makes #4 the only hole on the course over 300'.

Did I mention it's also seven holes? Anyone else get bugged by that? Six or nine holes I'm good with, but seven just seems weird. I don't know why coach didn't use the space across the front entrance for at least a couple there and back holes because nine holes always sounds better. Bottom line is that this is a school course designed by an ambitious and motivated coach with not enough design experience. It makes a good practice area, but with Oak Meadows Park DGC and Texas Army Trail right down the road it will never be anything more.

WORST HOLE/S: #2, #6
Other Thoughts: I'm always a fan to see pins in the ground anywhere, and more credit to you if they are being used to get kids interested in the sport. However, since coach Griffin is no longer at Goodson, I don't think anyone ever uses this course for anything.

It's too bad, because I think it was a really good idea for what it was intended to do - to teach kids and help them be active. As stands now however - I guess I can at least be glad Goodson decided to build me my own little practice area before I head out to Texas Army Trail for a real round.