Holiday, FL
Forest Hills Disc Golf & Country Club Share
Uploaded By: RussMB Hole #12 (Taken 10/2012)
Hole #12 Blue Tee

has potential

1    10/16/2012   11/12/2012
Review By: chriscimo
Pros: golf carts

open holes
Cons: rude & very unorganized staff

rundown club

course needs lots of maintenance

Golf cart brakes didn't work
Other Thoughts: I would have liked this place much more if there weren't hacking ball golfers out there hahaha. Also there was some issue with the employees.
First off I stood at the desk for 10 min. waiting for someone to help ringing the bell just to find out the guy standing next to me for 10 min. worked there and could have helped me but decided to stand there like an idiot and say nothing. I payed 20 bucks for 2 people with a cart after the payment the woman then tells me that there are no more carts i said ok then can i get reimbursed for the cart she then said there are no refunds of any kind. after a fued with the woman the idiot guy next to me goes outside and starts asking some of the golfers if there are any extra keys in the cart or if he can use the keys from one of the carts because i guess the keyholes were broken on some of them and did not need the key to stay in. After a few min. the guy said oh well and laughed. I did not think it was funny. After asking the woman why she didn't check out the carts she then started raising her voice at us and tried to say that she had told us of the situation. I then asked why I would pay for something that is not available. she then huffed and puffed and went in the back and got a set of keys, literally threw them on the counter and said "just take the one out there!" and pointed to a cart that her co-worker was occupying. (he was sitting there smoking a fag bsing with people outside) then on the way out the door we heard the woman bitching about us to the customers at the bar. this woman was about 55 with a long island style accent with a nose ring and was trying to dress like a trashy 20 year old...very disgusting.

1    10/27/2012   10/28/2012
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 7/10/2013
Pros: READ THIS FIRST: This is not a slight in anyway towards those that designed and installed the Disc Golf Course.
The designers of this disc golf course need to pull up these baskets and place them in an area more conducive to Disc Golfers! I appreciate the effort that was made to install this Disc Golf course and everything that was involved in seeing this through to completion. However the owners of the Forest Hills Golf course do not deserve our business. The staff here go out of their way to make sure that Disc Golfers don't come back. Outside of my own experience; I've heard story after story about run ins with the staff, the cashier lady ignoring us, snapping at us, and I've heard about a couple instances of them over charging people to play Disc Golf. It's really hard to even recommend this course to anyone. This is just my two cents!

- Open fairway distance course, which is integrated into a ball golf course.

- The layout was designed for Distance, and players with a long arm

- Well-manicured, scenic, and open, with numerous ponds and water hazards coming into play.

- "Golf Only " Private property. The only interactions are with other golfers

- It is a pay to play. I paid 5$ to walk, but 10$ will get you a cart. I had no problem paying 5$ to play here.

- The Red tees are challenging enough for the Average player that can throw 250-300ft. Beginners, Casual, and Rec's may find the long distance shots frustrating. (*Hammock Park is nearby, and adequate for beginners)

- Multiple Tee Pads,(Gold, Blue & Red) and multiple/alt baskets *Some fairways had two baskets, others had one. But all had multiple pin locations according to the map.

- The tee's max distances avg: Gold: 500-600ft; Blues:400-500ft; Reds 300-400ft

- Maps are available at ClearWater Disc Golf Store. Just plan to get one at Clearwater Discs or print one off this website. However you can get one, don't show up without it. You WILL need it if this is your first time!

- After #6, you will have to pass the Proshop. So if you need a break, a beer, or a stop at your vehicle, here's your chance. #7 is at near the entrance next to the road.

- The pin locations are good. They are placed in locations that create a challenge for your approach. You'll find most of the pins are placed next to water, or next to the water on the other side of a pond. This is to keep them off the putting greens & fairway to minimize ball golf interference

- The challenge lies with setting up your approach shot. The fairways are wide! A 325ft drive could still leave you with a 300ft approach shot. You could also end up wet.
Cons: - Get a map from ClearWater Discs or this website! The proshop will not have any available. Navigating from Basket to Tee was a big issue. They could use some Arrow signs on the baskets pointing players in the right direction. The DG course doesn't always follow the Ball course, and it's easy to get turned around. Especially since you can't see the teepads until you get right next to them.

- Since I originally posted this review, I've heard quite a few stories locally about run in's with the cashier lady as well as some of the staff. This is echoed in a few of the above reviews. I have also heard this from a number of local Disc Golfers and Ball Golfers. Apparently this is not a new issue and unfortunately not uncommon.

- No tee markers, The tee markers were painted on the cart paths, a thin color strip nailed to a tree, and/or a carpet or rubber pad. This made it very hard to locate where the tee was. I realize that some tees are in mid BG fairway, but since they are flat, locating is a challenge. Especially when the BG fairway goes one direction, and the DG goes another.

- The course itself is subject to some serious coastal winds. If it's an extremely windy day here, you will want to choose your discs carefully! It will sabotage your throws!

- Interactions with Ball Golfers may be an issue. Especially since it plays slower than disc golf.

- One tee is right up next to someone's property fence. Kinda akward
Other Thoughts: If you take away the attitude from the ball golf course staff, non-working golf carts, and any drunken ball golfers that want to give you a hard time about not playing "Real Golf", what's left is a decent course that has a lot of serious potential. It can get repetitive after a few holes, and the course will require your long arm.

At first glance, it is an open fairway course, but where you lie will define your second shot and how you will approach the basket. For instance, a drive that turns over to much, could still leave you with a 300ft approach shot or even land in or on the wrong side of a pond. Also, where you approach will determine whether or not your putt will be executed with a pond directly behind the basket. It's not a technical course per say, but it definitely challenged me to consider my whole flight path.

I dealt with a lot of "First Time" frustrations, which may lead to a different experience the next time I play here. I opted for the Blue tees, which was way above my throwing level. I should have opted for the red level tees, which will still require some distance, but much more reasonable for the average player. It is flat, as is most of the South eastern coastal regions, so that just comes with the territory.

I did enjoy playing at Forest Hills. The course is scenic, with a lot of water to play over and around. Also, the palm tree lined fairways add a nice touch to the experience. It's very picturesque and the surroundings will definitely enhance the experience. It is a long walk, so get some liquids before you come. The course is over 8,000ft, and thats not counting the walks in between transitions.

If you really want to make things interesting, make the putting greens OB.

Misinformed

2-4    6/6/2012   6/6/2012
Review By: trobbii
Pros: Loved the play on a small ball course/golf carts. That and the layout and use of the course was designed well. Props there.
Cons: Was raised in FL but I now live in Texas and am here on vacation. Went to the I I Clearwater disc golf shop where I got great service. The guy who told me about the course hyped it up a bit much. When arriving the lil sweet old lady behind the desk told me it was only a 9 hole course when I was told it was 18. There was no map and was very hard to figure out where to tee off from the first round. Once you play it once its not so bad. Once real tee boxes and proper signs are in place it will be an improvement. Watch out for Gators I saw a 9 footer about 10' from shore while I was trying to fish out a disc.
Other Thoughts: Very challenging and 17 holes with water in play.