Bonshaw, PE
Hillcrest DGC Share
Uploaded By: johnrhouck Hole #11 (Taken 7/2011)
3 / 190ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #11 Approach

This One has It All

1    6/4/2013   6/26/2013
Review By: WD09
Pros: The Setting.
Prince Edward Island is simply one of the most beautiful places in the world and this course accentuates that beauty. The trees, the foliage, the hills, the water, and the secluded locationů Everything combines to make this one of the best places I can imagine to play.

The Clubhouse.
This was such a pleasant surprise! It is a great place to hang out before or after a round, with a great view, board games, a bathroom, and even a deck with a grill outside. Not only that, but there are discs and bags available for rent. There were about a dozen Fade bags hanging on pegs, each with a few discs inside and a sign asking just $2 per day for rental! What could be more perfect for beginning players?

The Tees and Signage.
The tee pads are first rate concrete runways and are well placed (more on that later). The signs provide accurate descriptions of the holes, with obstacles noted and distances given in both meters and feet. They all are planted in spots that make the direction of the hole clear, but will not interfere with run-up or follow-through.

The Course Design.
There is no uninteresting, ho-hum, transition hole on this course. Every hole is well thought out and all require shot planning and accuracy. There are risk/reward decisions to be made not only on every hole, but often more than once per hole. There is a great variety of distances and variation of right/left backhand/forehand favorability. Even on the very long holes (and there are several), accurate shot placement is necessary to stay out of trouble, but the landing zones are fair and not arbitrary. There are many elevation changes. Trees line all the fairways, but the woods are not so thick that no routes are possible out of there. You don't want to be off the fairway, but recovery is possible in many places without just a pitch out. Water comes into play on at least two holes and is used in creative ways. The course par from the long tees is 66.

The Multiple Tees.
The short tees on this course are not just a way to give less experienced players shorter distances to throw. They change the approach to each hole, sometimes offering the option of a completely different route to throw to the pin.

The Added Touches.
There are many wooden bridges placed throughout the course in places where the ground may become marshy. At least one hole has a heavy gravel pathway up the steep incline of the fairway. The gravel was made of granite! (I know granite is much more plentiful here, but we were still surprised!)

Cons: The remote location and the fact that relatively few disc golfers will get the opportunity to place this magnificent course is the main "con" that comes to mind. Absolutely the only thing I could think of that might improve the course would be multiple pin placements. However, the way the course is designed I think moving a basket would only give the advantage of allowing someone who plays the course regularly to have some variety. It probably would detract from the character of the hole while the basket was in the new and less optimal position.
Other Thoughts: My wife walked the course with me as I played and took lots of photos. When we were driving away, I said, "That course is definitely in my top five." She asked, "What course beats it?" I didn't have an answer. As I reflected on that question over the next week or so, and compared it to other great courses I have played, I realized that no course I have played does, in fact, beat it. It has everything. I have never rated a course "5" before. This one is it. Go play it if you can.