Eden, NY
Hawk's Landing DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #9 (Taken 10/2013)
3 / 195ft.   3 / 239ft.   3 / 298ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Discgolf Oasis

5+    10/4/2014   10/23/2014
Review By: sweetshot
Pros: Great technical course on private land. Mature but young deciduous forest offering lots of lanes if you go off track, some shrubs and low branching conifers throwing in some lower obstacles here and there. All short holes with lots of trees and turns, so bring your "touch". If you like technical disc golf, driving with putters and mids, playing slow and smart, this course will please you. Solid layout, the course walks well. All holes marked clearly with adequate signage, distance markers. Even chairs on almost every teepad, nice to set the bag up high if its wet. 3 dollars for a round, 5 for an all day pass. Pro shop with a very nice and respectable selection of discs from most of the manufacturers (I think). Areas for having a break or lunch. Warm up basket. Mary and Doug are both very welcoming and friendly and clearly love the sport and sharing that love.
Cons: None for me, but if you are looking to crush some drivers, you will get frustrated. Bring the proper expectations and it's a fun course.
Other Thoughts: Doug and Mary are offering a great thing to the disc golf community here. If you play their course, remember that you are on someone's property. Leave no trace and all that. Also, bring some cash or a card, because the pro shop is well stocked and very hard to walk away from empty handed. Well worth the trip from Rochester. Will play this course many more times.

Outstanding

5+    10/4/2014   10/4/2014
Review By: sfoulkrod
Pros: Beautiful wooded course. Everything has been thought of. Amazing attention to detail. Every hole is challenging and fun. The lounge is a museum of sweet collectibles. The pro shop has a huge selection and is well organized. The owners treat you like family.
Cons: People have already commented on the length; it is shorter than other courses I've played, but I really appreciated and enjoyed the design.
Other Thoughts: We drove in from Rochester and felt like we walked into a disc golf wonderland. After playing 3 rounds of 18 I went into the lounge and Mary gave me a chocolate chip cookie!!! Ive been to some great courses, but I've never left a course feeling so great.

Best $5 I ever spent

5+    6/21/2014   7/7/2014
Review By: malton
Pros: What would all you DG fanatics do with a bunch of cash & 40 acres? Well the folks here at Hawk's Landing DGC have built a knock out, meticulous, homemade course & one of the nicest woods courses I have ever played. Three unique tees complete with great signage & plastic chairs await you at every hole. I played a very well-run tournament in June, 2014. Awesome lines out of the box: from classic straight tree holes to knife hyzers to flip shots to rollers to "S" shots with Middies & drivers to huge anny's & even huger hyzers that you need to nail if you want a chance at a bird. Super test of your skill set. Throwing over ponds, baskets on the edge of H2O, a "U" shaped hole, sneaky OB's, even a full mini-course is included here. I used 17 discs one round - 1st time ever. A massive pro shop on site is the greatest I have witnessed. The clubhouse as well, has more collector discs-back to the roots of DG- than I have seen anywhere. I had a rather superlative experience to say the least. I can't stop talking about the place & will never drive through Western NY without dropping in. These folks know what's up with DG without all the pretentious BS. If you ask nicely, they will even let you camp on site. Best $5 I ever spent.
Cons: Watch your head in the clubhouse. I almost knocked myself out cold bumping my head into a low roof line. Bring bugspray.
Other Thoughts: Word has it, they are expanding soon. OMG. I'll be back.

Great Little Course

1    10/15/2013   10/21/2013
Review By: jchoate7
Pros: The course has all the little bells and whistles that a course could have such as stakes with distance to the pin, 10 meter ropes at each hole, etc. The tee pads were nice and level gravel pads. Anytime there was low laying water on the course there was a foot bridge over top of it. Tight and technical course. The tee signs were very descriptive and navigation was a cinch because of the numerous arrows to the next tee found around the course. Course is maintained very well.
Cons: The course was short, very short. Not one hole was over 300ft and I didn't bring out any of my drivers once. The fairways though defined were almost too tight. I played by myself and finished a round in under an hour. The course is very repetitive, I didn't really see one hole that stood out amongst the rest as being different.
Other Thoughts: All said and done it's your typical course that is maintained well. The course also has a pro shop on site that carries Innova, Discraft, and Vibram. The course owner, Doug is great and will help you with any problems you may encounter on the course and he will drop everything he may be doing to help you. Very friendly guy.

hawks landing

5+    8/7/2013   8/11/2013
Review By: johnny midrange
This review was updated on 9/1/2013
Pros: Quiet, challenging , each hole has trees but there are many options and lanes, on-site pro shop (run by very nice, smart, disc savvy people), etiquette among fellow golfers is unmatched anywhere, two of finest people I have ever been lucky enough to meet (Doug n Mary)
Cons: I will update this rating if I find a con about this course....imho
Other Thoughts: The blue ,white and red tees are not just a little longer than each other, but a completely different shot!...when you do try this gem , please check out the pro shop. it's the best in this area and has on-site pros that are some of the most knowledgeable people in the sport

Great course

1    7/2/2013   7/7/2013
Review By: Azsheridan
Pros: Well wooded technical course. Doug and Mary were great hosts. I just drove up without calling ahead. My mistake by not reading up about course first. They welcomed me openly and showed me around. Excellent pro shop with many options for discs. If I lived in the area, I would play this course always. Water comes into play on two holes.
Cons: Muddy the day I played, but still very playable without concern.
Other Thoughts: I plan on playing there every time I go back to the area to visit family.

Had a great time

1    7/1/2013   7/4/2013
Review By: Joshh4490
Pros: Doug and his wife were super friendly and accomadating. We called ahead, and when we arrived we got a quick tour, showing us the public bathrooms, the disc shop, and then were handed a score card, pencil and given a quick rundown of the course, and it's nuances.
I had my reservations early on about playing on someones private land but they were quickly put to rest with how happy Doug and his wife were to have us and see to us enjoying ourselves. The course itself is a great change of pace for those who play chestnut alot. For starters, it's shorter so you walk alot less. a group of two could hammer out 18 in about an hour. it's heavily wooded much like the Ridge, which i enjoy, but this is an area of thick forest (SO BRING SOME BUG SPRAY). The course is setup with care and there are chairs and each hole and a fully colored course map sign. Arrows and signs abound showing the way to each tee.

I found the back nine particularly fun, with the small pond hazard, and seeing the giant fallen tree. We had a fun playing this clever, beautiful serene course and hope to be back often.
Cons: Only one real con would be pretty much the say anyway and that's it'll be muddy when it rains. Also like I said earlier this is DEEP WOODS territory.. Check yourself for ticks,, bring the bug spray.
Other Thoughts: I'd like to advise anyone considering this course to Call ahead for one... The best part of this course was it wasn't flooded with groups of 5, dog walkers, and etc.

Also, there are several garbage cans,, but my group tried to take the utmost care to not leave any footprints.. i.e no cigarette butts, drink cans, candy wrappers etc. If the place isn't treated well I doubt Doug and his wife will have much incentive to keep it open to the general public.

Challenging and fun!

5+    6/19/2013   6/18/2013
Review By: LukeButch
This review was updated on 7/21/2014
Pros: A beautiful wooded course, extremely well maintained. 18 holes with 3 sets of tees each, and a practice basket Challenges a variety of shots, with a focus on accuracy both off the tee as well as on the approach shot/putt.

One of the best features of this course in my opinion is that in an area with 2 big courses (chestnut ridge and Emery park) Hawk's Landing is easier on your arm, feet, and time. The course has 2 9-hole loops that begin and end right at the parking lot, making it very easy to stop by and get in a quick 9 or 18. With 3 sets of tees, its also a great place to take a beginner.

Nice additions: Chairs or benches at the long tee of every hole, stakes marking distance from pin on every hole, all tees have gravel teepads, indoor public restrooms. Great pro shop on site also.

Its great for what it is: a short, technical course that challenges players finesse and touch shots
Cons: bit muddy due to recent rain. no holes over 300ft, due to every hole being in the woods, very few high shots are available, so while holes may offer a couple different routes, being creative is not necessary. this is probably due to the small size of the course not a preference of the course designer.
Other Thoughts: Pro shop on site carries all major manufacturers, and some collectors discs for sale as well. It is pay to play and $3/round, $5/day. Its open 8am-dusk.

A Labor of Love

5+    10/11/2012   10/12/2012
Review By: simpletwist
Pros: This course is a glimpse into the future of disc golf if you really want this game to thrive, private courses.

In the ground for just this season and the course is evolving almost daily. That said, its in beautiful shape to play right now. Doug Opiela, the owner has 25+ years of disc golf experience and it shows in his attention to details on the course. In fact this includes the whole disc golf experience with a well stocked full service disc golf pro shop carrying Innova, Discraft, Millenium, Vibram, apparel & accessories. And there is also a mini course if you are looking for something different.

The course is a tight and technical wooded course. Three sets of tees and nothing over 300 feet. Birdies can be had everywhere and Aces abound. But don't stray off of the very well defined fairways or you might not only find yourself in jail but solitary confinement. OB comes into play on holes 5, 6, & 16. And of course there are 2 holes, 10 & 14, where a pond comes into play. Doug has tried and succeeded in giving you a different look and line with every hole; left, right, turnover, overhand, and even rollers could be needed to score well. The course is marked well with very nice signs, and distances on the tee markers. A nice touch are the distance stakes in the middle of the fairways denoting 50, 100, and 150 feet from the basket. This helps to spot not only the sometimes hidden lines of the wooded fairways but gives you a clue as to how best reach that hidden basket. Near ground level there are orange next tee signs.

There are regularly scheduled events, leagues, glow rounds, and more.

There are many chairs & benches throughout the course, and some garbage cans too. There is a large parking lot.

At only $2 per round and $5 all day it can't be beat. Doug and his wife Mary are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet and they can be quite helpful with expert advice.

Please call first at 716-992-4374.
Cons: Still a work in progress. The course can be muddy but the drainage is being addressed. The teepads are a tar/gravel mix and not all of them are installed yet.
Other Thoughts: There are more plans for this wonderful course. A 2nd longer, tougher 18 is to be developed in the next year or two.

The grand design has this rivaling the nicest private ball golf course.