Wildwood, FL
Lake Okahumpka Share
Uploaded By: mattdabbs Hole #2 (Taken 8/2012)

Beautiful and Extremely Fun

5+    5/15/2014   10/15/2014
Review By: JonRoc
Pros: This course is great for all skills of players - beginner to expert. I often have doubts on how a 9 hole course can be legitimate but this course restores my faith in the development of 9 hole courses.

Design - You can throw just about every shot in the book at this course but you are challenged to make several different throws if you intend to do well. The first two holes are over 400' and you have to traverse through a light forest of Split Oaks and Spanish moss. After that the holes get shorter but a little more technical. I've learned A LOT from this course because it is challenging enough to make me think about my shots and try new ones but not too risky where I only stick to what I am good at. Great design for all skill levels to develop their disc golf skills.

Beauty - Hole 5 might be the prettiest hole I have ever played. If you go right at sunset as the golden florida sun is peeking through Spanish Moss hanging from the trees it looks like something straight from a movie. Nothing better than watching a disc fly through with the sun glimmering off the top. Hole 2 through 5 and then 8 are solely in the woods and are beautiful. The others are just out in the park but are still very pretty.

RePlayability - It's long enough as a nine hole course for one play through to be enough if you're just in for a quick round, but if you want more, you can go right back and play it again for a full 18. The design leaves hole 9 just 100 feet or so from the hole 1 tee pad.
Cons: Most holes only have one shot, I believe the best courses have the majority of holes that challenge you to choose between 2 or 3 shots.

In the middle of the fairway on hole 1 (blindspot from the teepad) is a pit of thorn-like bushes that swallow discs. They are miserable. Not a huge con.

A nice Challenge

2-4    7/5/2014   7/5/2014
Review By: sasquach
Pros: This course allowed me to use all 16 discs that I carry in the 4 rounds that I played. For someone like me that lacks drives over 300 feet this is a challenging course. Most of the fairways are fairly tight and you will need control.
Cons: Quite a few dog walkers on the course but since I only saw 1 other golfer on a Saturday morning they were just using the space. Everyone was pleasant and didn't disrupt play.
Other Thoughts: While I am not generally a fan of 9 hole courses this is an exception. I will make the short trip from Ocala once a year to play this course for a day and would recommend it to others in Central Florida or passing thru.

Scenic And Fun 9-Holer

1    5/4/2014   5/4/2014
Review By: thrembo
Pros: Set in a scenic park with old trees and defined fairways.

Nice sinage with hole #, distance, and basic hole layout. Next tee arrows on baskets, and trees make navigation very easy for 1st timers.

Innova baskets aren't my favorite type, but these are in good condition with easy to see hole #'s on them.

The course is moderately long for a 9-holer, and features a good mix of hole types and lengths.

The course is close to the Florida Turnpike and I-75, so jumping off the expressway for a quick leg stretching round or two is highly recommended.
Cons: The course has only one set of tee pads that are shell based. Two sets of concrete pads would really elevate this course to a higher level, and hopefully are coming in the future.

Several dog walkers were wandering around on the fairways seemingly oblivious to the fact that the park has a DG course on it.
Other Thoughts: A fun quick playing 9 hole course, with natural scenic beauty that may be a little tough for noobs and a little easy for pros. Again, two sets of tees would definately elevate this course, and make it more fun/interesting for difering skill levels.

Not quite a destination course, but if traveling by, or in the area, it is certainly worth playing.

Delightful Nine

1    2/2/2014   2/2/2014
Review By: reposado
Pros: I'm not certain that this is my favorite nine-hole course, but its is on the short list. It's one of those great designs that make me glad that they didn't cram eighteen baskets where there wasn't space for them. There are a few shorter holes, but it's got very decent length, with the majority of the baskets standing over 300 feet from the tee, and the first pair of them at 430 each. It's not the most challenging course in the world but it boats nice lines that should be playable by many skill levels. For the most part, it requires the same throws that a top-level course would, just with more room for error.

The main benefit of the wide nature of the fairways is the quality scenery on tap here. The namesake lake isn't in play on the course but there's one tee that offers an incredible viewpoint onto it as the tee is approached. The rest of the course is covered in massive live oaks draped with Spanish moss. Very cool atmosphere. Very cool vibe.

As much fun as it is to crush drives down these long, wide fairways between incredible trees and essentially surrounded by jungle, the most interesting hole may be the shortest. 8 is only 180 feet but it is tight. Very tight. A gently turning hyzer can put you near the basket, if you are precise. Miss the line and the shule gets thick, fast.

Good flow that's easy to flow and signs that are descriptive enough for holes that mostly feature visible baskets. And personally, I love the teepads. They are crushed shell, and while I thought they played perfectly, I know others will not like them.
Cons: While the fun factor is high here, no one would mistake it for a championship-caliber course. There is just nothing here that challenging. There's also not a signature hole. There isn't a hole that jumps out at you and screams, "Who's hungry?" There's also only nine of them. Half the variety. Half the fun.
Other Thoughts: I don't know if this is a course to seek out and play. If there were nine more holes like the nine that are here, it probably would be. As it is, it's just off Florida's Turnpike and makes a great roadside stop or a warmup on the route to play other courses.

Great 9 Holer

5+    12/26/2013   1/8/2014
Review By: Horsman
This review was updated on 1/10/2014
Pros: -Easily the best 9 hole course that I have ever played.

- A good mix of lengths, from 450 to 150.

- A lot of big mature trees lining each hole to frame up the fairways.

- Lots of low cieling so erant shots get knocked down pretty quick.

- Flow from hole to hole was very easy to follow.

- Hole 8, man is tough 180' hole. It is a well done. For only being 180' you need to be dead on to get close.

- Lots of shaded areas to keep you out of the reach of the sun

- For it just being a little nine hole course it was very well kept.

- The holes are set up in a way that hole 9 finished right in line with hole 1 so you can just keep playing it over and over again.

- Not your everyday pitch and putt 9 hole course
Cons: -TEEPADS - They used crushed up seashells for the teepads and its loose seashells. Worse then loose sand. I ended up playing off to the side of the teepads and the sand was better to throw off of then those teepads. Literally the teepads are the only real bad thing about this course.

- Lots of low cielings. Its good and bad depending on who you are.

- Seems to favor the righty over the lefty. Hole 1,2,3,4,6,8 are more righty friendly while 5 is the only real hole that its better tobe a lefty. 7 and 9 are a wash.
Other Thoughts: This is a very fun 9 hole. They did a very good job with the land that they were given for this course. It seems like they didnt have to knock down a single tree to put this course in. It also looks like the park has a lot of room where the could expand if they wanted to.

Solid Course

5+    8/16/2013   9/1/2013
Review By: JCone
Pros: A variety of shots.
Grass is always cut.
Park is very Florida-esque.
Lots of canopy, great for the hottest of days, breeze from the lake helps.
Cons: Only 9 holes.... play it twice.
The out of bounds, especially in summer, will cause some to loose a disc.
All of the holes are shorter and not too technical, perfect for beginners, but advanced players may get a little bored especially if playing numerous rounds.
Other Thoughts: A solid 9 hole course... lots of other things to do at the park especially if you have children. Playground and facilities are very nice.

Well Done

1    8/4/2013   8/6/2013
Review By: davmer2303
Pros: * Well packed shell pads, with good clear signage.
* Excellent flow with easy to follow directions.
* Very good hole variety with anhyzer, hyzer, extremely tight to wide open.
* two over 400 ft holes plus one sub 200 footer and all points in between.
* Hole 8 is a well done, laser thin, bit of strategy.
* Most of the course is well shaded, and has bathrooms and water fountains.
* Course was very well maintained and the locals were very friendly and helpful.
* Although only nine holes, replay factor is good, and the course was a good, moderate challenge with distance and obstacles.
* Fun factor was high. I compare this to Limona in Brandon. It is an excellent, diverse well thought out, nine holer.
Cons: * Would be nice to have more holes. Seems like at least three more would be easy to fit in
* It's Florida and near a lake so take your spray.
Other Thoughts: Lake Okahumpka Park has a bit for everyone. There is a walking track, trails, volleyball, horseshoes, boat launch, canoe rentals, and lovely nature. It also contains a very pleasurable, diverse, 9 hole course. I really enjoyed throwing here, but did wish that there was more holes. I traveled 90 minutes here and would be happy to come back with my kids to make it part of a day's activities. Floral Park is not too far away, and the two of them together could make an excellent day of DG. So don't let the 9 holes get you down, Play it twice. All your discs will be used, and I assure you, you wont be disappointed!

Good Fun

2-4    7/11/2013   7/14/2013
Review By: ShopTom.com
Pros: +9 holes. Yes, only 9 nine holes is a plus for me as I just wanted to stop for exercise while I was driving the close by interstate!

+shot variety. Right/left/straight you know what I mean and get it all here. Plus a short wooded and long open to use more of your bag.

+landscaping. The mower guys were out while I was there and they waited while I played through. The fairways are well defined.

+signage. Tee signs with distance and direction so there was never a problem. Next tee signs kept me flowing the right direction too.

+activity. It's a fully loaded park so you can drop off the rest of the family while you golf if needed.
Cons: -I lost a disc trying to cut a corner and didn't know who to contact for lost and found.
Other Thoughts: I understand trash cans are preferred, but it's only 9 holes so I dropped my water bottle in my truck and got a new one on the way by each round. It's not that complicated.

The dirt/shell tees were fine by me as they are hard packed. A couple had dips in the front that could be filled in, but I just moved over a foot.

There was a hawk hanging out at the first wooded hole who stopped eating on the ground and watched me closely walk past.

I very much enjoyed my stop here and in fact canceled my next two golf stops so that I could stay longer! See you again on the trip home.

Great 9 hole course

5+    2/1/2013   5/4/2013
Review By: thisdoesfine
Pros: Variation. (RHBH)
1: Hard almost 90 degree dogleg left
2: Straight up with a line of veg on the L
3: Short and straight but protected by trees
4: Nice easy hyzer
5: Longer slow anhyzer with lots of vegetation on each side
6: Straight slight hyzer with low ceiling
7: Choice of low ceiling anhyzer or chancy spike hyzer
8: Super tight short hyzer tunnel
9: Wide open (one tree but you shouldn't hit it) then the hole is tucked behind a tree.

This is at a park so you have bathrooms.

Maintained very well.

Plays pretty quick - 30-45 minutes solo -
Cons: Not concrete pads but small rocks instead. I'm not sure I hate it but concrete would be better.

Bugs, although there's no chance of going in it, there is a body of water near here, coupled with some thick vegetation you have a good breeding ground for mosquitoes. Summer time you'll need spray.

Lack of trash cans. Unfortunately I was with some people who littered because there was nowhere to throw it. This is FL, people drink on the course to stay hydrated.

One hole is close to a retention pond with a 6' chain link fence. Grip lock forced a disc in there, pretty nasty water during wet season, plus the fence.
Other Thoughts: Great course, some trash cans and better tee pads would help tremendously.

For the space provided, excellent use.

Although hole 8's tunnel is a pain, I LOVE it!

This course is about 45 minutes away and I can say I haven't driven just to play it but when I'm in the area I put it on my agenda.

1    8/20/2012   8/20/2012
Review By: mattdabbs
Pros: The biggest plus is that this course is pretty close to I-275 and right off of Hwy 44. You don't have to go down all sorts of little roads to find it. Even the park itself is straight forward and easy to find the course...just drive as far back as you can and that is hole 1's tee. Park by the pavilion and throw hole #1 right off the road over by the mobile home. The holes have enough trees to keep it fun but no density to make you lose anything. The exception to that is hole 8 (tunnel shot) and hole 5(300+ dogleg right that has fairly dense foliage on both sides of the fairway).

Decent signs, baskets are numbered (big plus to avoid confusion) and nice arrows pointing to the next tee. There is a good variety of hole length and direction. I like the tunnel shot on hole #8, will really help you practice your accuracy without losing a disc.
Cons: Lack of teepads. The arrow on hole 4's basket was pointing to 6's tee. That was confusing. I did see a really big snake right in front of the tee on hole 6 so be on the lookout.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I would love to have this course in my backyard because it will let you practice every aspect of your game in just 9 holes. I would definitely play this again if I was in the area. A big plus since there aren't that many courses nearby until you get to Ocala.