Charleston, WV
Redeemer Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: knettles Hole #17 (Taken 5/2015)

Fun Mountain Course - Awesome Shop too!

1    8/29/2015   8/31/2015
Review By: spoongrd
Pros: - Bag Rests for each hole
- good workout (basically playing along a mountain ridge - lots of elevation change)
- Good placement of the baskets. They are often on very steep slopes, making you second guess running at a basket (or else it could roll down the mountain!)
Cons: Although I played by myself, I can see the front 9 getting crowded if a lot of people are playing. Because this course is on the side of a mountain, a shot that fades too fast (or hits a tree) could end up rolling all the way down to the bottom of the course, causing some time/headache.
Other Thoughts: I stopped to play this course on my road trip from NC to OH. I'm glad I stopped here. I only played 18 holes, but had some good fun. Nicely maintained grass. I ended up loosing two discs on the course. But the best part of the course is that there is a nicely run shop at the course. The gentleman that was running it was really nice and helped me pick out a new disc. He also has shipped 1 of the 2 discs I lost for FREE. Good course with good people. Worth playing.

cool course for being just one big hill

1    8/3/2014   7/27/2015
Review By: jamesdevin
Pros: good elevation changes
free to play
27 holes
good use of space
pro shop on premise
some risk reward shots
Cons: Couldn't find hole 1 so I started at hole 9
wet and steep hills make walking interesting

Other Thoughts: The course was well done for basically being one big hill. lots of elevation change with mostly shorter holes. had to walk up and down a very steep hill after my drive skipped right off a tree which made my beginning less than ideal. I didn't play 19-27 which makes me want to go back next time I am driving through the state. I recommend this course.

Good Experience

1    5/3/2015   5/10/2015
Review By: Danzig19
Pros: -Not too crowded on a weekend except during tournaments from what I can tell.
- Varied shots needed
- plenty of uphill and downhill
- Good workout of walking
- Nice disc shop
Cons: - muddy in spots
- A few tee platforms need to be repaired but Steve is tracking
Other Thoughts: Steve takes care of the place, pretty well. He invited myself to play doubles with him and another couple. He and I had a few things in common, in that we were both prior military. Good experience.

Hidden Gem, Cool Experience

1    12/21/2014   3/24/2015
Review By: BigAl724
Pros: Redeemer Park offers a unique experience, located on top of a hill on church property. The course isn't on a huge piece of land, but maximizes the land's potential having 18 holes that traverse up and down huge hills and a set of 9 holes that play in the woods. Not knowing much about the course ahead of time, I was very surprised at how well the course was taken care of by designer Steve Koepsel and a committed club.

It is worth especially noting the amount of effort that has been put into making this course the best it can be. There is a tremendous pro shop on site that seriously rivals the Dynamic Discs store in KC in size and variety of discs. There has been a tremendous amount of clearing to make the holes fairer in the woods and great work has been done to prevent erosion. There are even nets on a few holes to prevent horrific roll-aways. Tees are different than the norm, but they are made out of metal panels - usually on elevated platforms - and have velcro on them for traction. Pins are sometimes elevated as well and have some very cool positions like hole 3's basket on the rim of a ravine and a steep drop off behind it, as well as 5's elevated basket set on turf. I can't say enough about the aesthetics and little things that have gone into designing this course.

The big variable of this course is the ever-present elevation changes. There are huge uphill and downhill shots, as well as constant rolling hills to contend with. With 27 holes, none felt repetitive and you will use a lot of discs in your bag to throw a lot of different shots. There is a great mix of open holes that utilize the elevation and tight holes in the woods. Placement is stressed over distance with tight lines and challenging touch shots on the sloping hills. Power shots are still emphasized though on the steep uphill holes.

This is a beautiful, secluded setting with some great views.
Cons: There could be some confusion with multiple baskets often in view. With some of the front 9 cramped together, navigation can be a little confusing. I advise playing with locals for your first time.

Since the front 9 is a little tight, discs could easily land in the wrong fairways.

The majority of holes are under 300 feet, so this isn't the best course for players who simply want to throw long shots.

A lot of the front 18 are located on the bottom of a hill, which can get muddy.

The rough is very thick at times and nasty roll-aways can easily happen.
Other Thoughts: I pulled into the course right as Steve and two club players were gathering to play a round and joined them for a round of doubles. They were very gracious hosts and I really enjoyed playing with them and learning the history of this course. Steve went out of his way to get me a mini and welcomed me back to play in one of the many tournaments that he runs throughout the year. I thought I was just playing an average course in the middle of the state since I hadn't heard much about it, but this course truly offers a unique experience.

5+    11/11/2014   11/13/2014
Review By: greg_b_4
Pros: First and foremost are the locals. Steve does a great job of keeping the course in great shape and is constantly looking to improve an already good course. There are 27 holes here to enjoy and lots of elevation. There is a lot of variety. There are plenty of ace chances, longer accurate throws, and elevated technical shots. First 18 holes consist of 2 loops while the third 9 is a bit of a hike away from the start. Course has sufficient signage with easy transitions between holes. Multiple tee pads per hole. There is also a top notch shop on sight.
Cons: There are not a lot of cons to speak of. Some of the front 9 tends to be a little soggy as they are on the lower parts of the property. While most tee pads are nice there are several which drop off at the end which can make a drive scary. While not a major con if you are looking for a course to rip long drives this is not it. A round could easily be played with only a putter and mid range.
Other Thoughts: This is easily the best course in the state capitol area. The course is associated with a really nice and involved club. I travel a lot and I make sure I play redeemer everytime I'm in the area. I highly recommend playing here.

Awesome course and awesome people

1    9/21/2013   9/29/2013
Review By: rossboss08
Pros: *There is ton of veriaty. you could play the course all day by using the alternate tees. My friends and I, kept saying it was kinda like a crazy putt-putt, but in a good way. the holes are a little funky but really fun. it is a great use of property on the side of a hill. They also have nets to catch discs from rolling all the way down the hills. *The people here we're really friendly. My friends and I were driving through from Cincinnati and not only did the guys working on the course let us play through, but then they gave us a free mini driver and stickers. *The tee boxes were really unique and functional.
Cons: *It's kinda hard to find. The directions got me there, but its kinda confusing because it's up on a steep hill and behind a church. (don't let it confuse you go to the back off the church parking lot and you'll see two small sheds. *Also, there is a sign that says to check in, in the church. we didn't really know wether to go in, seeing how it was sunday (at a church) and we were passing through. * It's a little tight, We played with no one else on the course, but if other people were playing I'd be a little scared of hitting someone on accident.
Other Thoughts: Great place! Definitely going to stop again, along the way to New River Gorge.

Steve is the MAN!

1    6/1/2013   7/30/2013
Review By: BigBen1421
Pros: First off, I just wanted to thank Steve for all his hard work on this course. He puts so much of his own time and making sure this course is well maintained and does an amazing job at it!

The variety here is amazing. The people that are complaining about the length need to man up and head back to the long tees that Steve has been working so hard on. I was on a trip to Richmond, Virginia and needed a course to play on the way back to Ohio and I stumbled across this beauty.The tee pads are one of a kind with great signage as well. Redeemer is constantly being improved. Steve had just finished an elevated basket with turf green surrounding the basket on hole 5 and it is extremely unique. You have your ace run buzz holes, forehand bombs, backhand strategic holes, and backhand hyzer bombs.

Give this course a few years and the possibilities are endless of what Steve could do with it.

Cons: When a course has great tee pads, great baskets with great pin locations, and I have a helluva round... why complain?
Other Thoughts: I did see a pretty nice size snake on hole 1 after my first throw of the day 150 feet down the fairway that made me kind of paranoid of where I stepped.

This course is a must play when traveling on 35. This truly is the only 4 chain course in a very wide range.

Not bad

1    7/22/2013   7/23/2013
Review By: rvajf00
Pros: Scenic
Some really fun holes
Nice Tee Pads
Well maintained
Good Signs
Cons: Extremely Hilly
Most holes are short
Very thick OBs/roughs
Tee locations are not always obvious to spot
Other Thoughts: This was my first time playing Redeemer and overall its a decent 18 holer. It was pretty easy to find for an out of towner. I played it at 8AM and the grass was still wet from rain/dew and I had on some shoes with poor traction and I was slipping and sliding all over the place. This course requires you to walk up and down steep terrain especially if you have an errant throw away from the hole's fairway. I definitely recommend wearing a boot or a shoe with good traction, or playing on a very dry day because navigating the course was tricky and I tweaked my knee walking around this place. Most of the holes are under 300 ft and I only needed a Roc and Aviar for all the holes.

I too saw a deer. She was eating some apples under a tree and she let me get quite close for a picture, which was a really special moment. Overall, I will play here again and be more prepared and I will have a better experience.

Very Nice

1    5/27/2013   5/30/2013
Review By: Harky
Pros: Very nice and challenging lines. Picturesque, and fun. Every hole was well thought out and designed. There are a few that test your ability to make your disc sit as having it roll would mean a long walk down what equates to a small mountainside down to a ravine. You need to work at keeping your throws under control as the "rough" is quite thick and you can easily loose a disc. Very well maintained and clean. They do a great job of making it an accessible play to all variations of skill with multiple tees and different placements of the baskets. Just well done.
Cons: Not much. It is a little challenging for a RHBH thrower as most of the lines travel to the right. I had to use my understables a lot, such as the new D4 from prodigy and the Katana from innova.
Other Thoughts: They also have a nice pro shop that is open at limited times and they do a great job of finding and trying to give back any and all lost discs. Great place to play. Hope to make it back again someday.

Finally 18 holes in KV

2-4    9/5/2012   9/14/2012
Review By: tbird8834
Pros: Gets the heart rate up on the hills, benches and swing are a nice touch, technical on most holes, the uphill throws turn a short hole into a much longer one
Cons: Still a hole or 2 that could use some weed removal for beginners
Other Thoughts: Have played 3 times and the 2 fawns have been there each time, they seem almost tame and are fun to watch.