Cincinnati, OH

< Prev 1 2 3
Good Course

2-4    10/25/2013   10/26/2013
Review By: pmorgan1214
Pros: This course is a fun course in cincinnati to go air it out. For big arms you might jus leave your drivers in the car. holes range from 200 feet to just under 400 feet. The grass makes this course interesting. A lot of blind shots.
Cons: Not a challenging course to shoot under par on. The do utilize the grass to make the course a good challenge. Love the blind shots that are big anhyzers.
Other Thoughts: Good course over all.

Heritage Park DGC

1    9/27/2013   10/8/2013
Review By: joshtrum
Pros: - Very good flow from hole to hole
- Small mixture of open field, over rough, and into/ out of wooded shots

- Flat and quick to play layout
Cons: - Have to buy 10$ parking pass for year (Colerain Township Parks)
- Part of year without weeds makes it a very simple course
- Highly trafficked park
- Easy to lose discs in rough
Other Thoughts: I give it a 3 cause I don't love it, but I don't hate it. There is gunfire at times which can mess with putting, but it's no different than hearing an airplane go by, or any other typical disturbances. It can get very muddy as it is on a flood plain. The layout is nice, when the rough is there. When there is rough it is a fun/ok course to play as their is a chance to lose a disc making it different from the usual wooded traps, it's tall zebra grass. I like that a couple holes you have to throw into the woods, and a couple out, it does have a nice mixed up design. Some holes are too easy however as you essentially just throw across a field to a basket you can easily see. This course is the perfect definition of a good course. Will it really challenge you? Probably not. It is a good change up from other local courses? Yes.Great for beginners to learn on and Great for people of higher skill who just want to take a break from more serious play and go out and throw an easy round

Troll's Review

5+    3/28/2013   10/4/2013
Review By: Eric troll Biscuits
Cons: One of the worst disc golf course ever! I remember when it was first installed sometime in early 2000's, I gave it some time to "grow up", but all that grew was zebra grass, and a shooting range. Its completely flat, infested with mosquitos and you need a Colerain park pass...
Sorry for who's ever's names attached to that design. I just can't putt while I hear close range gun fire... I have seen stray bullets around too... those baskets should be yanked out!

decent

1    3/30/2013   3/31/2013
Review By: preludedrew
This review was updated on 4/20/2013
Pros: I really liked this 18 hole course..has open fields and strategic design with bush obstacles and trees...nicely made signs and tee pads with a foul line added in for a nice touch.
Cons: park can be a little busy sometimes.
Other Thoughts: A good, long course that will require a walk. 18 holes, open fields, easy to navigate signs.

Hyzers (& Annies) ‘Round the Hay

5+    12/9/2012   12/9/2012
Review By: sisyphus
This review was updated on 9/18/2014
Pros: The thing you need to know most about Heritage Park DGC: has the hay been mown? This course is completely different from mid-fall to mid-spring. When they cut the long grasses, 2/3rds of the holes become open shots, with practically no chance of losing a disc. You have to decide if you like the challenge of keeping it out of the stuff (in the summer), or like me (a relative noob), actually prefer this course mown.

This course is set in a nice, level floodplain, with other sports fields and the obligatory jogging path winding around, adding some optional OB challenges, if your shots go really wild. There is a cool looking playground by the parking lot, and a new deck off the path, overlooking the stream on the left after hole 13. Most of the course has good signage, there's a good map kiosk, at least one beverage machine, trash baskets here and there, and one bench on the path near the #9 tee, if you need a break.

This course has some of the neatest concrete tees I've seen: they're oval/teardrop shaped, with a foul line marked, allowing you to follow through without stepping off the front. The baskets are almost all 24 chains, and catch very well (#11 and #16 have only 18 chain baskets).

If you prefer some obstacles, there are permanent shrubs to work around on 2, 4, 7, 9 & 15 (stay outta them bushes!), holes 12 & 16 shoot into the woods, and holes 13 & 17 require tight tee shots out of the woods.
Cons: Every time I've been here, there's a Civil War re-enactment going on just across the water. Well, maybe it's just a shooting range, but if you feel at all skittish about a near-constant barrage of gunfire nearby, you might be a little distracted here.

There's no elevation to speak of (wait, you cross a drainage ditch on hole 11!).

The course can feel a little ho-hum and bland in the winter (but on the bright side, as of 12/9/12, they have not pulled the baskets for the winter, so there's a course here - and that is good).
Other Thoughts: The course design flows fairly well, with only one walk out into the field between 13 & 14. In the peak of the summer, I'm sure most holes are forced blind hyzers and annies. It would be interesting to analyze the change in average scores, depending on the season.

The current pictures show 2-3 foot tall bushes, and do not indicate the tall grass potential very well. Since those bushes are now 6-8' high, and very thick, some aspiring photographer needs to update the course pics with one set for the winter, and one set for the summer.

Edit 9/18/14: Having just played Heritage for the first time with the grasses in their seasonal 6 foot plus height, I must say it IS a more challenging course. You'll want a spotter if you go for the riskier lines, and you may have to settle for more threes if you play smartly in all the fairways. The angles of the teepads become more obvious (laid out by a rhbh player?). And the terrible position of the tee sign to the right front corner of hole 6 stands out even more. Also, there is word that the park wants $5 for a day pass (slightly more for all season), but they don't seem to have a collection booth, so take that as you may.

Beginner Course or a Quick Play

1    4/24/2012   5/27/2012
Review By: kuhlbeans
Pros: Based purely on the holes I'd give this course a 2.5 (Decent/Typical) but I gave it a bump for its good condition.

Par is very generous so is friendly to beginners, but for anyone else you should play this as a par 3 course. The signs, pads, and baskets are in great shape with the signs being informative and pointing the way to the next tee. I didn't have any problem navigating the place on the first go 'round. Course is flat without much water coming into play so you won't lose a disc outside the grasses (see below). Holes are in a good arrangement so you start and end at the same place and holes do not interfere with each other.
Cons: I am not a big fan of "field courses" and this one falls squarely into that category: lots of wide open holes on flat ground, very little use of the limited woods and water. The hole layouts are fairly unimaginative with mostly left-to-right and straight throws. Bring either your forearm shot or some understable discs for a RHBH thrower. Challenge is added to the course by having large areas of tall grasses (when in season) that you need to curve your disc around. While this does make for a better round it also makes for a more frustrating one since finding your disc can be a royal pain. There are many paved walking paths weaving through the course with plenty of runners and families milling about without an awareness for discs.
Other Thoughts: No long holes here, will be fairway driver and midrange for intermediate and up players. There is only one set of tee pads and I believe the basket positions do not change.

Nice park, well maintained, plenty of other activities to do here. The ball fields looked great. This would be a great course to have a picnic by the river before or after the round.

Heritage

5+    3/18/2012   3/21/2012
Review By: stevemort
Pros: Very well maintained and new park. Great signs and tee pads. The river scenery is nice. You can work on decently long drives and interesting putts. It plays in about an hour and fifteen minutes so its great for a quick, fun round. You can score here.
Cons: If it's a windy day it's a major factor since it's so flat (I've walked off more than once because of this). Walking paths are in play and can be busy at times. 11-14 watch out for itchy bushes in the rough. When the rough is high it is really high so you'll need a spotter on some holes certain times of year.
Other Thoughts: This course is definitely fun. I enjoy playing here fairly often even though I wouldn't call it a favorite course. All holes can be played as 3's for the intermediate player, but that's not saying they are super easy holes. This course is different depending on the season.
- Spring: The rough obstacles aren't high yet since they get cut down in the fall. The courses plays easier this time of year.
- Summer: Not much shade here so it can be very hot on a sunny day. The rough gets really high as the summer goes on so it makes the course a lot harder and increases the chance of losing discs.
- Fall: The rough can still be very high, but this is the time of year when they cut it down so you'll see a change in the course dynamic once it's cut.
- Winter: Normally they take out the baskets in case of flooding so you may be going to an empty course (although this year it sounds like they never took them out).

Heritage layout nice experience

1    10/6/2011   10/7/2011
Review By: LightsOut
This review was updated on 10/10/2011
Pros: The park itself is a 4, well maintained. The tight out of bounds play will no doubt change seasonally with the vegitation growth. We played in early October for our first look at the course and the tall grass islands kept us checking out where the baskets actually were. The map and course navigation is much better than others I'm used too. We did notice some changes to the course as far as the vegitation/grasses being mowed differently as depicted by again the helpful course maps at each tee. The concrete tee pads are fairly long and flush with the ground, a real plus.
Although it's flat, there was thought put into making this course more than a blank open field by using the tall grass and other plants to navigate around. I enjoyed it.
Cons: Par is out of whack as 81 is very generous. I can see the reasoning with the tight basket placement. Beginners, playing non-disc golf frisbees would probably shoot 81. I'd say that the course would be better served by having a 15'-20'-25' circle around the baskets because 10 of them on this day were but 10' from OB. I'd play it as a par 3 course, disreguard the OB around the basket and then you'd have a challenge.
Other Thoughts: This course could be bland when the vegetation is out of season. Although it could be a great place to work on your full drives at the same time. There are but 3 holes with trees in the tee to basket line. There are pedestrian paths and we saw maybe 3 other golf groups in our time on the course so crowding wasn't a factor. Not far from Northgate Mall and I-275 for you Cincinnati locals. I'll make it part of my rotation of area courses after the experience. I've played Mt.Airy, Harbin, Winton Woods, Woodland Mounds in this area and Heritage was a welcomed change of scenery.

Fun on the River

1    9/17/2011   9/18/2011
Review By: Stizall
Pros: This course in nestled up against the little miami river which is really nice. Very few trees in this course. It has a very nice pace of long to short holes. Very clean park, i was able to bring my family and they played in the park area while i golfed.
Cons: There is only three wooded holes to which they are not really wooded you are just kinda throwing in that general area of trees. The very tall grass seems to be everywhere on every hole which can be daunting. It was almost as if even there were no trees to throw around, the grass was so tall and thick that it was even more of a burden to throw around then trees
Other Thoughts: Great course to play a round or two if you have the time. Not too far of a drive from cincinnati.I will definetely play this course again!

Pretty interesting course

1    7/17/2011   7/18/2011
Review By: rsr2
Pros: The cement tees are really nice. I actually like the shape of them because I am use to seeing just a plain Square blocks, this was interesting to play on.

It's a really clean place to play. I was amazed at how clean it was because I only saw one bottle and it was in the woods. Other than that, I didn't see anything on the course.

It's really fun and it does have some challenging holes where if you mess up you might lose a disc.

From what I saw, I didn't really see anyone there playing so you are not rushed at all.

There are vending machines on site right near hole #1. I really liked this because I forgot to bring water so it was great to see the machine.
Cons: It's a very wide open course. I usually like to play with more variation but a majority of the holes was, throw it around the tall grass to the right or left. Then at I believe hole #13 you start to play in the woods for a couple holes, then back out into the open. So I felt like I played a few holes over and over again.

The tall grass does make it tough to find a disc. I did end up losing a disc but that happens. But that tall grass was pretty brutal.

There was crap ton of hornets in the field from hole #15 - #16. Like at first, I thought they were this locust bug that was flying around at hole #4. But nope they were hornets, so please be careful.

The tee signs were kind'of helpful. However I was lost after hole #1 actually because we were shooting at a different basket. Also we didn't even play #3 because we couldn't find it. Also the signs say Par 4, Par 5 etc. When a majority of the course can easily be done playing par 3.

I'm not sure if I am the only one, but when you looking for your disc in the tall grass, after about 5 minutes of looking, my legs were incredibly itchy. It's not poison Ivy but wow my legs were extremely itchy.
Other Thoughts: Instead of going to Idlewild, my friend and I went to this course instead because it was closer and we dropped by Cincinnati Skyline Chili for lunch afterwards. Now I've got to say, it would've been more enjoyable if it wasn't so hot outside. I am not used to experiencing playing in 90+ degree weather so it was pretty brutal. But for my experience playing in an out of state Disc course, it was really fun. Next time I would like to check out the many other courses in the Cincinnati area but due to lack of time, this was the only course we could play.

< Prev 1 2 3