Parkersburg, WV
Hole #14 Blue Tee

Rugged Course Meets Park-Style

1    7/23/2013   2/21/2014
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: 1) Design - Wood County is never boring, and no two holes that are similar. I wouldn't say you will "use every shot in your bag", but you definitely need to be versatile to score well here. The shapes of the holes provide plenty of variety. The distances also provide varying challenges. Make your birdie opportunities count when you have them.

2) Building on my first point, the land available for the course is very good. Elevation is incorporated very well. There are a few multi-shot holes due to elevation changes. There is also a small pond on the back-9 that you have to clear from the tee. It's not a very long throw, but enough to make you pay attention.

3) Park conditions and amenities were great. Restrooms were clean and the grounds were well-kept. I know that there are other park users, but we didn't seem to have any issue playing without encroachment.
Cons: 1) Maturation - this is a new course. The undergrowth is pretty strong in some areas of the woods. Again, overtime this will likely take care of itself. The potential for lost discs is present. Spotters may be occasionally necessary, especially on the more-wooded front-9.

2) Benches, concrete tees, trashcans...as the course ages, these things will be necessary. Not having them now is not a huge issue for me as I understand the course is new, but when compared with the best courses in America, these amenities are lacking.

3) Airport proximity - while not a busy airport, there will be low-flying planes at some point during your round...just be aware.
Other Thoughts: Wood County is a really cool spot for a course. It's really new, and while it has some maturing to do, after I few years I would expect to be one of the best courses in the area. The wooded portions of the course need time to acclimate to the course, and with ample traffic this should take care of itself.

I only brought up the lack of course amentiies in my "cons" in order to follow up with: Wood County has the potential to be a great course. All of the elements of design are present and strong. This was my first course in West Virginia, and I thought it was great. I'm not big on the Appalachian Mountain courses that are more hiking than disc golf. This was the perfect course for me, as it had plenty of elevation but was in a park setting.

The course is very convenient from Parkersburg. Just head northeast of town toward the airport. Follow the signs for the airport and you'll see the park on your left...if you see the airport, you've gone too far.

I serve as a college minister for my church and we were on a mision trip to the area. A few of my kids have gotten into disc golf by playing some rounds with me over the years. They really wanted to play so we looked up this course as it was closest to our lodging. (another great opportunity for me to plug DGCR, without which I never would have been able to find this place) We took a group of 8, and played doubles...in 2 groups of 4. All totalled 4 groups. Even the kids that had never played had a blast, and it was their first experience with the sport. For that reason, Wood County will be a special course in my memory.

If you're looking for a WV course with lots of variety, give Wood County a shot. If you're passing through the Parkersburg area, this is definitely a course to play. Just across the river, there are some other good courses in Ohio, so it's not a bad spot to for a weekend of disc golf. I'd definitely recommend you give this course a shot.

Photo Correction

2-4    8/6/2012   12/18/2012
Review By: murf1087
Pros: multiple tee pads, good pin locations, good variety of shots. Quiet course when I played on a weekday in the summer.
Cons: non disc golfers may interfere with play due to play on public park areas.
Other Thoughts: I uploaded the course photos and realized I skipped hole 12, therefore the subsequent holes are incorrectly numbered. "Hole 12" is really 13, 13 is really 14, etc.

davewv

5+    10/19/2012   10/19/2012
Review By: davewv
This review was updated on 2/26/2013
Pros: the course offers both open and woods shots and also up and down drives. it will have both red and blue concrete tees and hopefully 2 and 3 different pin positions on each hole. the course has very good access from both parkersburg, w.v. on rt.2 and marietta on rt31 out of williamstown. there are very nice rest rooms and porta johns seasonal and better than most dics golf courses offer and are kept up well.
Cons: yes-unfortunately we do have an occasional mule or horse on the grounds. they are NOT supposed to be there at all. we will have to keep complaining until the park board notifies the stables across rt31 to keep out period! #12 is too close to the building and is scheduled to be moved to the other side of garage when something can be figured out to protect the carved eagle on a stump there. parking is nice during the season but; the gates will probably be closed as usual for winter. we CAN play there in the winter without it being considered trespassing as that was a stipulation when the course was established.
Other Thoughts: there are hopes to get the left gate [when entering] moved to one end or other of the garage to provide a bit more parking in the winter. car pool for now if possible. as of 2/23/13 i believe 15 of the pins are in new positions as a temporary course and to be changed around after most have gotten a chance to play it as is. #12 tee still supposed to be changed away from the building plus #1 blue tee may be moved to not make it as dangerous a throw when people are at the shelter. it will still be as good or better than the current shot. expect more changes and hopefully concrete tee pads as the weather gets better.

Great course near Parkersburg

5+    9/10/2012   9/11/2012
Review By: Kveak
Pros: -Great mixture of woods and open holes
-Very well designed
-Only 15 minutes outside of Parkersburg
-Concrete Tees will be put in eventually
Cons: -There is sometimes Horse Droppings on a few of the holes
-The tee for Hole number 12 is between a building and an OB road. Difficult for RHBH
Other Thoughts: Its a popular park. There are sometimes lots of people out there using the shelters, but they are rarely in the way