Round Rock, TX
4 / 301ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3

1    3/10/2013   3/14/2013
Review By: tkmcdougal
Pros: I tried to play this course last year, but quit after a few holes due to the length and the 40mph winds. I gave it a second try when I came back to the austin area and I made to quick of a judgement. Yes, the first 6-7 holes are too long but after that I was actually surprised of how well the course was. Starting at hole 8 where you shoot up the hill all the way through 15 is how the course should be all the way throughout. The alternate holes are included in the holes that I enjoyed by the way. This course has a good map right before hole one( it doesn't include the 3 alternate holes but they are very easy to find so no worries). The tee pads were concrete but seemed a little narrow to me. This course made excellent use of the elevation throughout the park. Most holes seemed to have elevation come into play including hole 16 where you shoot over the pond from the top of the dam. I liked how the course looped around so you finish right by your car, you honestly need that because the course is that long.
Cons: The course is way too log. 1000ft holes that are wide open are not good holes. I would rather play 200 ft holes that require technicality than have to throw 3 drives just to see the basket. I think hole 4 could of been broken up into 3 seperate holes. The first to the trees on the right then to the bridge. And, Finally throw from the bridge to the current basket location. After hole 4 you have to walk across the street to hole 5( it is a little difficult to see). Also, after 15 you walk across the damn. Besides that navigation is easy. Hole 17 was absolutely terrible. It took 3-4 drives before you can even see the basket. Also, with the course being so long have the 2nd to last hole be over 1000 ft was just brutal. I was already so tired.
Other Thoughts: If you are in the area I suggest playing this course and give it a chance past the first couple of holes and you will be pleasantly surprised. The middle holes are excellent just the beginning and end are too long and boring. If I wanted to throw multiple drives to get to basket in an open field I could of just gone to the nearest field, not add this in my road trip from Fort Worth.

Great Challenge; Different for the Area

1    12/27/2012   12/31/2012
Review By: tbsox
Pros: Good variety for the area. The Park was really nice as well. Some multi use areas but overall the park was quiet and we were able to play through with no issues. 16 was a great hole. a high overlook of the lake in the park. If you've got a good long drive you can try at the hole but for all the newer players there is a great shorter escape still across the water that is makable. Several of the additional holes are also fun. 10A plays in almost without notice. The pair of additionals for 13 are also fun to play. The second of which has a built up platform that gives a neat piece of built variety in the middle of the course.

Course signage is really good. And as a whole the course is easy to play and flows from hole to hole well.
Cons: This course is painfully long. The First 1000 footer was really pointless. The hole was difficult to see even after the second throw. While it is a theme for most of the course it is certainly true of the longer holes. They are really open grip and rips. By the time we got to the second 1000 footer our collective arms were all so tired the risk of the lake to the left seemed more of a problem that it should be.
Other Thoughts: We played in the holiday season so the park also had the lights from the trail up. This was a really cool addition in the end. Wanting to not damage them in any way created a few interesting challenges. I give this course a bit of extra credit because its different from what you normally get. There are a lot of length differences and hole variety. Also, the 16th hole is a really nice marque hole.

Holy Cow

1    11/3/2012   11/3/2012
Review By: rgp626
This review was updated on 12/1/2013
Pros: Clean, well maintained, not a disc eater like many courses are.
Cons: Long. Really long. Really freaking long. In late November through New Years, Christmas light show makes relocation of several tee boxes by players necessary.
Other Thoughts: My son and I are not real long throwers (around 300') so this was a real humbling experience. With 2 holes over 1000", 1 over 600', and one almost 800' this is a course that isn't good for a quick round after work. You need to plan for an all afternoon round. I'll be back, but on a day when the wind isn't gusting at 35mph.

Over-rated, bring on the thumbs downs

1    10/26/2012   10/26/2012
Review By: denny ritner
Pros: The park is big and nice and it's right next to the minor league baseball park, so it's a good place to play a round and then catch a ball game. Old Settler's has a lot of history with the National Doubles and Texas women's events.

There is pretty much no chance of losing a disc here. The course is pretty clean.

There are a few good holes that combine the need for power and accuracy. The signature hole is #16, which offers a choice of two routes with a choice of degree of risk/reward over the water.

Baskets and tee pads are in good shape.

The course serves as a great place to learn to play in the wind.

Cons: The course is immense and and very redundant. Imagine a fly-18 course without the tightly manicured fairways, golf carts, and beverage women.

The course has very little technical challenge and is almost entirely crush-crush-crush-putt.

The course does not loop back to the parking lot after 9 holes. In fact the 9th hole is about 1.5 miles from the parking lot. I've seen people slugging it back all the way across after getting bored and/or tired.

There are several places that could use "next tee" signs.

Hole 4's basket is missing.
Other Thoughts: Please help to keep the course clean!

If you're looking for one course to play in the North Austin area, wilco is much, much better.

Decent course

2-4    6/14/2012   6/14/2012
Review By: diskgolfmania
Pros: Nice open area to throw the disk
Not very many groups to get in your way
Not very many pedestrians by the course
Very descriptive hole maps
Tee boxes are in good locations
Mix of long and short holes for a nice variety
Nice starting and finishing hole
Cons: VERY long course
When it's windy, your disk will almost always go near the water
Bland looking course (nothing but a few trees here and there)
Road is very close to some of the holes
Par is quite difficult to hit
Other Thoughts: Although this is a very long course, it is still a good one to play. Deffinatly a great course for people who enjoy just throwing as far and as hard as they can. But, you have to very cautious when throwing near the water, especially when its windy (I almost lost 2 disks while playing today). Not one of my favorites but it is still a decent course if you just want to get outside and play with some friends.

Although long, very good course!!!

5+    4/16/2012   4/20/2012
Review By: coachhart25
Pros: Concrete tees were good, yard signs and markers, city keeps grass windflowers in good shape. Right now water in lake and little streams, so nice scenery. This is a good course if you are pushing a jogging stroller or walking by yourself.
Cons: Not very shaded, and very LONG. There were a couple of holes (#4 and #5) that I gave myself a shot. Come on, a par 4 1000? I am a newbie and very thrilled about this sport, but this course is way long. A little bit of a walk from hole 3 to 4, but it was manageable.
Other Thoughts: To be honest I really. Like this course. It is close to my house, but I have played at cat hollow, wilco, and brushy creek sport park, and I like this one. Maybe it is because it is open, but heck I still lost a fairway driver on hole two feeding the lake. I also skipped hole 16, because I am not ready to have to throw a disc over a portion of the lake, no matter how far. If the wind is going against you on the long holes...nice try. The tee boxes are nice, I like how from one to three builds up to a monster on 4. I do wis they would have mowed a little more around holes 8-10 going up to the watermark-that was a little iffy. However if you want to play 18 and don't mind walking and getting some sun (do it now while it is not 100 degrees, then this course is great!

Disking By The Lake

1    3/30/2012   3/30/2012
Review By: bogeymanjr
This review was updated on 5/11/2012
Pros: This is mostly a wide-open course with very little obstacles to get in your way. It is also long, very long. I didn't let that intimidate me due to the fact that I have played my share of very long holes. There were some very interesting set-ups for the holes here, especially hole 13B with its basket being up a set of stairs. I don't get many opportunities to putt up to a basket. The lay-out is pretty much straight forward. You have your long holes and your short ones. My favorite hole has to be 16 with its throw off of the dam onto the shore. I agree with another reviewer who said that it is closer than it actually looks. A good throw of 120 feet will keep your disc relatively safe, provided there is little or no wind or, if its blowing from the south like it was this day, help your disc reach the shore faster. I found the long holes, 4 & 17, rather daunting, at first. But, even those two are easy to play when you take the course as a whole. As I have said the holes 13A & 13B were interesting holes and good diversions from the usual drive, walk, drive play of this course. This course is a good test of your driving skills and worth the trip to check out. There are good concrete tees for every hole as well as restrooms and trash cans available.
Cons: Yes, it's long and quite open. The wind is definitely a factor, even on a relatively calm day, I am sure. Just goes with being around water, I guess. I am sure this park can be quite crowded at times, what with the family atmosphere and all. Otherwise, I find very little else, except for lack of shade and benches, to say against this course or park.
Other Thoughts: This was a very enjoyable golf round for me. Definitely a change from the usual wooded courses that I play. And, yes, I did lose a disc. But it was on hole 4 when I overthrew the basket and the disc landed in the lake, and not on hole 16. I liked playing this course and I will be back. A very enjoyable round overall. Be aware that, although the sign for hole 4 says par 4, this sign dates back to when hole 4 was a little over 800 feet. I am not sure when the basket was moved, but it is now a par 5 1053 feet. Incidentally, the new length has yet to be added to the sign. I have played this one several times now and am getting better and better here. It may be an old course, but it still is a good one in my book.

bring your drivers

5+    12/12/2011   12/16/2011
Review By: howarp
This review was updated on 12/22/2011
Pros: I love this course. It is rarely crowded. Parking is ample and holes are relatively easy to find on your first visit. Even though alot of the holes are long and wide open there are still some good elevation changes, a few technical holes, and a few water hazards.
Cons: My main complaint is that I've had alot of people disrupt my round for various reasons. For example, I've had to skip holes because of overflow parking for a chili festival and wedding pictures on the bridge at hole #4.. and countless other people completely oblivious to the fact they are walking though a golf course. Hey, thems the breaks for playing a free, public course I s'pose.

Most fun when you start on hole 6.

5+    9/16/2011   9/19/2011
Review By: mirkky
Pros: Good baskets, clean, not many people playing.
Cons: ridiculously long holes for some.
Other Thoughts: I do not have much of a drive so I start at hole 6. There is a parking lot next to the tee pad for that hole at the pavilion. I usually only play 10 holes, starting at 6, when I go since I have my daughter there and I also really do not like the Par 5s.

Not fun, frustrating

2-4    6/13/2011   6/16/2011
Review By: drooh
Pros: It's a disc golf course. 18 holes.
Cons: Way too hard. Way too long. Can only hit par if you are a pro and having a good day. Not good for average players and definitely not good for beginners or anyone wanting to have fun.
Other Thoughts: Honestly, I was born in Austin and have been playing disc golf as an amateur since I was a teen. This is probably one of my least favorite courses. Last time inlayed I could not believe hole 4 was a par 4. It's ridiculous. I felt like it was a waste of the park to make it so difficult. I feel bad for new bees and kids coming to try the sport and leaving frustrated. I wanted to call the parks and ask them to consider making it easier or some optional tees for those who are not blue chip pros. I would be happy if they made a sign that warned people about the difficulty.

< Prev 1 2 3