Round Rock, TX
Old Settlers' Park Share
Uploaded By: Texadelphos Hole #13B (Taken 7/2014)
3 / 275ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #13B Tee

Enjoyed It

1    10/4/2014   10/12/2014
Review By: Joe6Pack
Pros: - Well maintained course in community park
- Lots of diverse shots
- Good mix of shots (long/short, elevation, open/wooded, etc.)
- Lots of holes to air out drives
- Water come into play on some holes
Cons: - Baskets could be better
- Layout is a little confusing, and alternate tees make it worse
- Tee pads could use some sweeping, loose dirt on several pads makes for slippery releases if not careful
Other Thoughts: Very fun course to play with lots of history in the DG world. Worth the trip if you're in the Austin area.

Pro course

1    6/26/2014   8/13/2014
Review By: DiscFan
Pros: Love disc golf in a park setting. I was in the area visiting family and looked up disc golf courses. This one looked great. Plus a John Houck design, I had to check it out.
The course is in a park so there is no problem with fairway/ rough maintenance. Everything is trimmed perfectly.
The baskets are getting a bit long in the tooth, but still catch perfectly well. Lots of room to air out shots and just rip discs.
Cons: Course is very long, as other reviewers have mentioned. It is after all a Pro championship level course. Us mere mortals who can only throw around 300 feet will struggle with the distance of this course, or at least with the par.
As I already mentioned the baskets are getting a bit old, and lack markings. I found myself wondering which hole I was on a couple of times. (Some of the baskets are close to each other, and unmarked.)
Other Thoughts: After seeing the 2014 Texas state Championships were held here I wanted to watch the pros play a course I had been on personally. Very interesting, the "wide open" park setting I had experienced was "artificially" altered to make much more technical play necessary. They put up flags and markers to create lanes and OB sections of the course. This notably changed the overall look of the course from what I had seen, and played. Unfortunately this is not what you get if you just show up on a Tuesday.
If you are in the area this is definitely a "big boy/ girl" course worth playing.

IT IS VERY LONG!!!

1    7/17/2014   7/22/2014
Review By: snunnone
Pros: Grip it and rip it! Mostly open course. Water and elevation can come into play some. Only a few trees, but if you end up behind one it will totally mess up the score for that hole because it is so long. Enjoyed extra holes. Mostly open course-pro and con.
Cons: Not many trees in play, except select holes. Par is inconsistent. 470 foot par 4 and 630 foot par 3? It is really, really, really long. Mostly open course-pro and con.
Other Thoughts: Did I say it is really long? I think the person/people who designed this course could throw further than their friends so they decided to make several very long holes. Some seem to have no point. Very open course with a couple of challenges. Not much of an opportunity for a variety of shots. Mostly just throw long. Water not a huge issue except for 16. I would play again if in the area with very long discs.

Disking By The Lake

1    3/30/2012   3/30/2012
Review By: bogeymanjr
This review was updated on 5/11/2012
Pros: This is mostly a wide-open course with very little obstacles to get in your way. It is also long, very long. I didn't let that intimidate me due to the fact that I have played my share of very long holes. There were some very interesting set-ups for the holes here, especially hole 13B with its basket being up a set of stairs. I don't get many opportunities to putt up to a basket. The lay-out is pretty much straight forward. You have your long holes and your short ones. My favorite hole has to be 16 with its throw off of the dam onto the shore. I agree with another reviewer who said that it is closer than it actually looks. A good throw of 120 feet will keep your disc relatively safe, provided there is little or no wind or, if its blowing from the south like it was this day, help your disc reach the shore faster. I found the long holes, 4 & 17, rather daunting, at first. But, even those two are easy to play when you take the course as a whole. As I have said the holes 13A & 13B were interesting holes and good diversions from the usual drive, walk, drive play of this course. This course is a good test of your driving skills and worth the trip to check out. There are good concrete tees for every hole as well as restrooms and trash cans available.
Cons: Yes, it's long and quite open. The wind is definitely a factor, even on a relatively calm day, I am sure. Just goes with being around water, I guess. I am sure this park can be quite crowded at times, what with the family atmosphere and all. Otherwise, I find very little else, except for lack of shade and benches, to say against this course or park.
Other Thoughts: This was a very enjoyable golf round for me. Definitely a change from the usual wooded courses that I play. And, yes, I did lose a disc. But it was on hole 4 when I overthrew the basket and the disc landed in the lake, and not on hole 16. I liked playing this course and I will be back. A very enjoyable round overall. Be aware that, although the sign for hole 4 says par 4, this sign dates back to when hole 4 was a little over 800 feet. I am not sure when the basket was moved, but it is now a par 5 1053 feet. Incidentally, the new length has yet to be added to the sign. I have played this one several times now and am getting better and better here. It may be an old course, but it still is a good one in my book.

Long and windy!

1    7/14/2009   7/15/2009
Review By: sam_puck
Pros: Small Concrete tee boxes, could be a little wider. Baskets and chains in good condition. Park very well maintained. Good signs, some a little off in distance and placement of pin.
Cons: LONG, LONG, LONG!
WINDY, WINDY, WINDY!
HOT, HOT, HOT!
Not too many BIG trees for shade.
Other Thoughts: I still loved the course, even though it was so bad I stopped keeping score. I might go back in the winter, but not while it's still 105 degrees by noon.

Worth the trip

2-4    4/12/1999   4/12/2009
Review By: tmahan
This review was updated on 8/22/2009
Pros: Good use of rolling hills and the few trees that are there. The last half of #4 is a really nice hole by itself (the first 500' or so is just across a field to get you near the creek). Nicely mowed so you can roll the long ones. That dam hole ;-) You're near Austin which is my favorite place in Texas that I've been to so far.
Cons: Not alot of obstacles (but the ones that are there are usually in play), Not much shade to be found on a hot day.
Other Thoughts: I really like this course and make a point of heading out here when ever I get to Austin. The wind has never seemed that intimidating to me and can be really fun if it catches your roller just right (not so fun when it catches it wrong). When the breeze is kicking up it adds an element of adventure to those normally routine 15-20 putts. The shortage of obstacles result in some of the pin settings being close to said obstacles, a case in point being the #4 pin nestled in a grove only a few feet from the creek but I find that preferrable to the alternative of a bunch of long, open field holes. If you get the chance, go to The County Line and get The Big Daddy, a huge plate overflowing with some of the best beef ribs I've had.

What a challenge!

1    7/30/2008   7/30/2008
Review By: cc0049
This review was updated on 12/7/2009
Pros: This course is extremely challenging! There are two holes that are over 1,000 feet long. There are great concrete tee pads, good baskets, and signs that show you where the basket is located, the distance to the basket, as well as par for the hole. The course is in a pretty area of the park. There is a creek with water in it even in the dead heat of the summer that comes into play on many holes. There is also a lake that comes into play on a couple of holes. Hole 16 was really neat shooting out over the lake to get to the basket. Hole 4 and hole 17 are the two holes over 1,000ft and they were fun to play just because of the magnitude of the length.
Cons: Not much shade and a lot of wind. This course was tough to navigate. I did okay with the help of one of the locals that I talked to before teeing off on hole one. Hole 15 was not where the sign said it would be and 16 was in the middle of an area under construction.
Other Thoughts: Unlike any other because of the distances on the holes. Not the most scenic, but definitely challenging disc golf.