Round Rock, TX
Old Settlers' Park Share
Uploaded By: Texadelphos Hole #1 (Taken 7/2014)
3 / 380ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Great course after a Few Months' Experience

1    7/15/2014   7/16/2014
Review By: snevets
Pros: Generally well maintained with no tall grass and no poison ivy/oak.
Most holes have very few obstructions allowing for multiple lines depending on your style or what you want to practice.
All holes have maps, however some are out of date and generally there are fewer trees than depicted.
Cons: Some holes are very long and if you can't drive further than 200' it will be an irritating slog.
#16 is a B.S. hole over the lake.
From some holes it is difficult to find the next tee.
Most holes have the lake on the left and if you're new, right-handed, and misthrow the lake will happily eat discs.
This is what I had pictured courses would be like when I first heard of disc golf. It is *beautiful*!

Newer players should consider skipping #16 because it is ~300' over the lake.

Old Settlers'

1    12/28/2008   12/28/2008
Review By: milow369
Pros: Easily accessible, plenty of parking. Course design takes advantage of a beautiful setting around a lake, takes advantage of seemingly unlimited acreage and utilizes elevation changes, patches of oaks, and other Texas trees and wide open fields. Bevo hits on something that struck me most about my round at Old Settlers' today and added to the enjoyment - the course is not crowded or slammed into a small park. There's just plenty of space for disc golf, for hikers, cyclists, everyone. Great park. I found it easy to clear my head and get into my game. This course requires every shot in the bag and more. I will have fun trying to figure these holes out, trying to figure out where I can pick up a stroke or two. I know that playing this course will greatly improve my overall play and I enjoyed the chance to really work on my drive/distance. I appreciated the course design, the course starts out giving the player a chance to make some birdies, get warmed up before the par 4's/5's. While there are several long holes, there are also several birdie opportunities.
Cons: #4's hole map was confusing, I have read on this site that the hole has been changed and the map not yet updated - that makes sense now. (as it turned out, #4 basket hugs the creek beyond the footbridge) Couple of ultra long holes that had me wondering why not break up into some long par 3's - Make 27 holes of world class disc golf. In my opinion Old Settlers is plenty of course even without #4, #17. No bathrooms nearby (that I could see)
Other Thoughts: There was no wind when I played on Sunday. I understand that I was extremely lucky because of that fact. Having played the course I am not sure if my experience would have been the same with a constant 20 mph wind, talk about a monster! This course has moved up to the #1 slot in the Austin, Texas area - in my book. I wish it was closer, I would try to play once a week minimum. This course earns 5 stars if the two 1000' holes are broken up, the other holes on the course are incorporated to make this a 27 hole course. I am a fan of having all par 3's - even if a few are long 500-600' range to keep the pros happy.

Old Settlers

5+    2/12/2009   7/23/2008
Review By: sidewinding
This review was updated on 2/12/2009
Pros: I remember reading somewhere that this is one of Ken Climo's favorite courses due to it's difficulty.

What makes it so difficult is the ball golf distance par 4's and 5's.

The informative signs are nice.

The lake is pretty and becomes a pucker factor when you have to throw a deceptively long distance over a corner of it on hole #16.

There are some really fun holes with elevation drops.

This is a great place to learn to throw rollers due to the huge distances and big open grassy fields that always seem to be mowed pretty short.

It is also a great place to learn how to deal with high winds from every possible angle.
Cons: The concrete tee pads are narrower than most making it awkward if you do an x-step.

I had trouble locating the pin on one of the >1000 ft holes (# 4). I sent my kid's out on an expedition and they found it past the new bridge close to the creek.

The walks between shade trees are very long which makes mid-day summer play difficult.

Hundreds of discs have been lost across the corner of the lake on #16.
Other Thoughts: This course made me give up the sport about 10 years ago but now I realize that a course with this many long holes is extremely rare and though it may be very frustrating for beginners it has it's place and greatly compliments the other more technical Austin area courses.

7/6/2008   7/6/2008
Review By: bacr
Pros: Excellent course. Old Settler's is an extremely challenging course that is not for the faint of heart. The course is set up to play in a circle around a lake.

The park is really nice and is kept in good shape. There are signs on every hole and it is really easy to find the next tee box.

Hole #16 is the marquee hole. You tee off from on top of the dam and have to clear a corner of the lake in order to get to the pin.
Cons: This course is LONG. I mean it. There are two holes that are 1000ft+. Aside from a couple of holes in the trees, most of the holes will test your arm.

For some reason, Old Settlers is really windy. If there is any wind above 10-15 mph in Round Rock, you may want to think twice about going because it will likely be 25 mph at Old Settlers.

Also, there always seem to be people using the park and the lake. If you go on the weekend, watch out for bystanders.
Other Thoughts: Many Austin players have never bothered to drive up to Round Rock to give this course a shot which is a real shame. Old Settlers is an awesome course.