Round Rock, TX
Old Settlers' Park Share
Uploaded By: Texadelphos Hole #10A (Taken 7/2014)
4 / 468ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #10A Tee

bring your drivers

5+    12/12/2011   12/16/2011
Review By: howarp
This review was updated on 12/22/2011
Pros: I love this course. It is rarely crowded. Parking is ample and holes are relatively easy to find on your first visit. Even though alot of the holes are long and wide open there are still some good elevation changes, a few technical holes, and a few water hazards.
Cons: My main complaint is that I've had alot of people disrupt my round for various reasons. For example, I've had to skip holes because of overflow parking for a chili festival and wedding pictures on the bridge at hole #4.. and countless other people completely oblivious to the fact they are walking though a golf course. Hey, thems the breaks for playing a free, public course I s'pose.

Most fun when you start on hole 6.

5+    9/16/2011   9/19/2011
Review By: mirkky
Pros: Good baskets, clean, not many people playing.
Cons: ridiculously long holes for some.
Other Thoughts: I do not have much of a drive so I start at hole 6. There is a parking lot next to the tee pad for that hole at the pavilion. I usually only play 10 holes, starting at 6, when I go since I have my daughter there and I also really do not like the Par 5s.

Not fun, frustrating

2-4    6/13/2011   6/16/2011
Review By: drooh
Pros: It's a disc golf course. 18 holes.
Cons: Way too hard. Way too long. Can only hit par if you are a pro and having a good day. Not good for average players and definitely not good for beginners or anyone wanting to have fun.
Other Thoughts: Honestly, I was born in Austin and have been playing disc golf as an amateur since I was a teen. This is probably one of my least favorite courses. Last time inlayed I could not believe hole 4 was a par 4. It's ridiculous. I felt like it was a waste of the park to make it so difficult. I feel bad for new bees and kids coming to try the sport and leaving frustrated. I wanted to call the parks and ask them to consider making it easier or some optional tees for those who are not blue chip pros. I would be happy if they made a sign that warned people about the difficulty.

Established Balanced Long Old Park Course.

2-4    3/2/2010   6/2/2011
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: My personal favorite holes were 9, 10 and 12, which is most of the shorter technical holes that find the trees. The rest of the park is out in the open. 4,5 and 6 are very long and open. Number four uses a creek and is near the lake, evidence that the open holes are not entirely barren. The mix of holes is nice considering the age of the course, designed in 1991. Once you have finished playing six you have reached a disproportionate amount of the walking you are going to have to do, which is nice because the round feels easier after that point. Provided the wind has not zapped away your hydration the rest of the course is relative child's play.

The course and park and parking are all easy to find. There were no crowds when I played it, in many of the other area courses you have to contend with crowds. There are four holes over 600 feet long, so this is where it gets it deserved reputation as a long course. There is variable hole length though, where 1000 feet may seem long (two holes), there are five holes under three hundred feet and another handful of holes that are in that medium-long distance. Nice rolling hills and a smattering of trees make for pretty good basket placements.
Cons: What I mentioned before about 4, 5, and 6 being wide open is disappointing because I feel that it sets a negative tone for the match. I was trying to bomb which is not a big part of my game and I paid the price for it. This is a wide open course and the wind seemed to have more speed here than it did at the house when I decided to play Old Settler's.

In the Austin area there are better and newer options. The course reminds me of an old shopping mall, the one that nobody goes to anymore, you can still appreciate how it's nice and there are still fun things about it, but the new mall, like the newer courses across town blow it away.

The long walks from basket to tee, from tee to drive to drive to drive to basket make for a long day. Yes multiple drives on one hole, all fighting the wind I might add, and it felt repetitive. I had a guide my first time and I felt that I would have had a scouting mission or two to go on my first time, so bring a map.
Other Thoughts: I'm proud to say that noted DGCR member Bevo was my tour guide. He bombs. I took to trying to bomb myself which only made my game worse. I imagine if I develop an arm and wanted to play in the wind, this could be one of those parks to seek out. I could see taking short cuts and just skipping the holes that I am not in the mood to play.

I recommend this course to people who love to bomb and dislike crowds. The Austin area has at least five courses I would recommend before this course and I would caution noodle arms against it, because it will suck the fun factor away. The entire short time I lived in Austin, I only played here twice. Not because it is a bad course. There are just too many other great options in the area compared to this course.

Old Settlers Park

1    2/18/2011   2/23/2011
Review By: backward_axis
Pros: This park is very big and takes forever to play, so you and some friends can go out, have fun, and just make a day of it. This course is very drive-oriented (2 holes being over the 1000' mark and there's one 600' par 3), so if that's your thing, you'll probably like it. The layout of the course doesn't seem to interfere too much with other aspects of a multi-use park. We only had to give people the "heads up!" one or two times. The design of holes #13b-16 was really neat and had almost a battlefield feel to them. One all of those, you're throwing back and forth across a big, open field from the crests of surrounding twenty-foot hills with rocks piled up next to the bulkhead for the pond on one side. My personal favorite hole at the park was #16. That is the only hole at the park where you have to throw across a significant amount of water. The tee box is on a concrete pathway going over the dam for the pond, and when walking up to it, it looks alot farther than it actually is to the other side. I felt so sure I was going to lose a disc in the water that I wrote "Hello Round Rock" on the back of my driver. For the most part, the holes aren't too terribly difficult to find; although I would recommend bringing a map if its your first time.
Cons: Alot of the holes are repetitive. Drive.....walk......drive.......walk.....drive.......walk.....etc. There isn't a whole lot of trees involved, (maybe 3 or four holes) out of 21. So, there aren't alot of technical shots through wooded areas. When I went, the bathrooms were still closed from the freeze a few weeks prior, (and like I previously stated, there aren't alot of trees to go and sneak off behind).
Other Thoughts: The three extra holes are not marked with signs - consult your map. All-in-all, this course seems like a good one for a power player, but if you're like me and prefer really wooded, technical shots, you're better off just continuing on to East Metro in Manor.

Long course

1    10/10/2010   10/11/2010
Review By: chalos13
Pros: This course has some really long open shots. The scenery was very nice with the pond, the park is large so even though there were other players and people in the park, there was never an issue of people being in the way. Some challenging elevation changes made it a fun course to play.
Cons: With quite a few holes being large and open the wind was a beast here. Hole 4 is over 1000 ft. We were playing into the wind, and it's supposed to be par 4. I'd have to play in calm conditions, but after playing yesterday I feel like the pars may be a little low. The front nine you play uphill quite a lot and we were into the wind, so I enjoyed the back 9 much more.
Other Thoughts: This course would have been very fun with calmer conditions. It reminded me of Lindsey Park Blue course in Tyler Tx without all the trees in the way (I hate those trees). It's a good place to really stretch your arm and go for distance. I liked the course. Be sure to get a picture of the map on your way in, the navigation is a little confusing between a couple holes, and many of the holes can't be seen from the tee boxes due to distance, hills or turns. I want to play this one again.

From a new player

5+    4/12/2010   4/12/2010
Review By: Ziekk
Pros: Note: I'm new to playing, keep that in mind.
I love the openness on almost all holes here. Shots that would have gone deep into the treeline elsewhere were very forgiving here.
The course layout is easy to follow...usually. There are a couple points that took us a few minutes to find the next tee, but we quickly learned the "follow the path in the grass" rule.
Cons: Aside from launching 2 discs irretrievably into the pond? It's incredibly windy there.
Other Thoughts: As a beginner, I love this course. I'm still learning to drive properly, so the forgiving nature of the park appeals to me greatly. I've dug around in the trees in Cat Hollow way too much recently.

I actually like the mixed nature of the park. You'll have a BBQ going on, people walking their dogs, riding horses around, sometimes bands playing there, and it just feels so peaceful there. Everything is in bloom as of the time of this writing, and it is beautiful.

Beginners in the area, come try this out. You wont regret it.

1    11/12/2009   11/12/2009
Review By: mc lazer
This review was updated on 12/30/2009
Pros: Maybe three or four good holes. However if you want to learn the wind better, get great at long drives and like playing big bomber courses you should check it out. I'll admit it's fun from time to time to go throw a crusher or two on almost everyhole. This course will help you gain distance like none other around if that's an area you need to improve, the same as going to a big field.
Cons: Least favorite of mine. Might as well play in a circle through a huge hay pasture with 3 or 4 trees. No challenge what so ever just drive after drive and putt. Hey, I guess one more good side is that you could play the entire course with 3 discs and lighten up the load for the 10 mile hike in 30mph wind!.
Other Thoughts: Sorry Round Rockers, I know you guy's love it, but you gotta have more than a cannon at most courses.

Big Arm Country!

5+    7/20/2009   7/20/2009
Review By: Peryfrl
Pros: This course has a little of everything. the concrete tee pads are nice. Each hole has a large sign with a picture of the hole, the distance, and par. Water is a great hazard on holes 1,2,4, and 16. The grounds are always kept in really good condition. Wind can be a challenge, but it is just a part of the game. I love this course and play it at least 3 times a week.
Cons: I love how long the course is, but it is not a good idea to play it in the heat we have had lately. Hit it early or in the evening. Be conservative around the water or you WILL lose a disc.
Other Thoughts: If you have a BIG ARM and are not scared of a good hike, you will dig this course!

Long and windy!

1    7/14/2009   7/15/2009
Review By: sam_puck
Pros: Small Concrete tee boxes, could be a little wider. Baskets and chains in good condition. Park very well maintained. Good signs, some a little off in distance and placement of pin.
Cons: LONG, LONG, LONG!
WINDY, WINDY, WINDY!
HOT, HOT, HOT!
Not too many BIG trees for shade.
Other Thoughts: I still loved the course, even though it was so bad I stopped keeping score. I might go back in the winter, but not while it's still 105 degrees by noon.