Round Rock, TX

1 2 3 Next >
 old settelers park

5+    3/14/2009   3/20/2009
Review By: produce guy
Pros: It's long.it's wide open and it's fun,it has 2 holes that are a 1000 ft. plus.It mostly flat with some grass and lots of dirt/rocks,and trees.
Cons: It's long,It's wide open and can be very ,very windy.
Other Thoughts: It's great course and has a great BBQ resturaunt at the entrance,easy to follow course,nice big lake /pond in the middle of the park,never to many people playing,Son and I have only played this course in the winter/spring months-Jan.m,Feb.,March,haven't played it in the summer yet.

Sigh

1    5/9/2008   3/10/2009
Review By: biggio1
This review was updated on 10/7/2013
Pros: Low traffic, wind, water, and some elevation. Concrete tees are nice because you got some long throws. Go watch a AAA baseball game after your round and drink some beer!
Cons: Distance is either a con or a pro, and I say both. I had a hard time finding the first tee, because the park is HUGE!
Other Thoughts: Been there once and someday will go back again. The best Austin course to get some wind disc golf practice in.

Home Course

5+    2/7/2009   2/7/2009
Review By: forker
Pros: This is the course that brought me a little more dedication to the sport. With some of the long, wide open holes, I find my self trying and working on new grips, throws, discs, etc.. The back nine is a bit of fun if...
Cons: you can make it through the front nine without getting bored, pissed, or tired. Nice long walk. You will learn to hate wind.
Other Thoughts: Not really the most challenging, but you still have to throw all your shots. A really good course to get your full game together. Extra points for only being a bike ride away from home.

Very long!

1    7/15/2007   2/4/2009
Review By: bjreagh
This review was updated on 4/9/2009
Pros: Old Settler's is on a very nice piece of land that contains a picturesque creek and lake that do come into play on some holes. Hole #16 is fun- you tee off from the top of dam across a corner of the lake.
Cons: The front 9 is very wide open- the only obstacles on many of the holes are extreme length and wind. (Look at the pictures of holes 3,4,5,6,7,8 and you will see what I mean.) If you can't throw over 400' feet you will probably hate these 6 holes. I felt like the holes were long just to be long, no obstacles, just long drive practice.

I also had a hard time navigating the course. Signs were inaccurate. Several long walks to the wrong tee! This is mainly due to 1000' holes with no defined fairways- you have no idea where to go when you can't see anything.

I also played at a time when the Austin area was hit hard with flooding rains. The fairways were very wet, making it even harder to throw far.

I think some am. tees would improve the longer holes in order to appeal to a wider range of disc golfer. Maybe they could define a fairway on the barren holes by mowing the grass at different lengths and then maybe plant a couple trees.

For such a prized course it seems to lack many things that exist on other top notch courses I have played.
Other Thoughts: The back 9 is much better than the front in my opinion with some trees in play. I was so tired after the front that I was not able to enjoy the back.

If you have a monster arm and are looking for a place to let 'er rip, then come here- you will probably love this course. If you can't throw long bombs, then I would recommend skipping it. It looks like the other reviews reflect this, some people love it, some hate it.

My rating is primarily due the monotony of holes 3-8 and difficulty in navigation. This is a hard course to rate. I originally gave it 2.0, but have re-evaluated everything.

From a distance challenged point of view playing it the first time:
Front 9- 2.0
Back 9- 3.0
Detailed signs and maps would raise it by 1.0

Pros and distance specialists would probably give this a 4.0+

least fun i have ever had playing disc golf

1    9/23/2008   1/23/2009
Review By: invidious
Cons: I played 5 holes and stopped. Excessively windy, course is too baren.

I spent 45 minutes trying to find my yellow disc in a wide open field of brown dead grass / dirt, and this was in bounds.

On one hole my disc landed in a brook that is litterally 10-15 feet from the hole.
Other Thoughts: Perhaps I just had some bad luck but this course seems poorly planned and maintained. Dead grass and holes within putting distance of water.

I dont understand the good ratings this is getting, maybe the back 9 is better.

Old Settlers'

1    12/28/2008   12/28/2008
Review By: milow369
Pros: Easily accessible, plenty of parking. Course design takes advantage of a beautiful setting around a lake, takes advantage of seemingly unlimited acreage and utilizes elevation changes, patches of oaks, and other Texas trees and wide open fields. Bevo hits on something that struck me most about my round at Old Settlers' today and added to the enjoyment - the course is not crowded or slammed into a small park. There's just plenty of space for disc golf, for hikers, cyclists, everyone. Great park. I found it easy to clear my head and get into my game. This course requires every shot in the bag and more. I will have fun trying to figure these holes out, trying to figure out where I can pick up a stroke or two. I know that playing this course will greatly improve my overall play and I enjoyed the chance to really work on my drive/distance. I appreciated the course design, the course starts out giving the player a chance to make some birdies, get warmed up before the par 4's/5's. While there are several long holes, there are also several birdie opportunities.
Cons: #4's hole map was confusing, I have read on this site that the hole has been changed and the map not yet updated - that makes sense now. (as it turned out, #4 basket hugs the creek beyond the footbridge) Couple of ultra long holes that had me wondering why not break up into some long par 3's - Make 27 holes of world class disc golf. In my opinion Old Settlers is plenty of course even without #4, #17. No bathrooms nearby (that I could see)
Other Thoughts: There was no wind when I played on Sunday. I understand that I was extremely lucky because of that fact. Having played the course I am not sure if my experience would have been the same with a constant 20 mph wind, talk about a monster! This course has moved up to the #1 slot in the Austin, Texas area - in my book. I wish it was closer, I would try to play once a week minimum. This course earns 5 stars if the two 1000' holes are broken up, the other holes on the course are incorporated to make this a 27 hole course. I am a fan of having all par 3's - even if a few are long 500-600' range to keep the pros happy.

What a challenge!

1    7/30/2008   7/30/2008
Review By: cc0049
This review was updated on 12/7/2009
Pros: This course is extremely challenging! There are two holes that are over 1,000 feet long. There are great concrete tee pads, good baskets, and signs that show you where the basket is located, the distance to the basket, as well as par for the hole. The course is in a pretty area of the park. There is a creek with water in it even in the dead heat of the summer that comes into play on many holes. There is also a lake that comes into play on a couple of holes. Hole 16 was really neat shooting out over the lake to get to the basket. Hole 4 and hole 17 are the two holes over 1,000ft and they were fun to play just because of the magnitude of the length.
Cons: Not much shade and a lot of wind. This course was tough to navigate. I did okay with the help of one of the locals that I talked to before teeing off on hole one. Hole 15 was not where the sign said it would be and 16 was in the middle of an area under construction.
Other Thoughts: Unlike any other because of the distances on the holes. Not the most scenic, but definitely challenging disc golf.

Old Settlers

5+    2/12/2009   7/23/2008
Review By: sidewinding
This review was updated on 2/12/2009
Pros: I remember reading somewhere that this is one of Ken Climo's favorite courses due to it's difficulty.

What makes it so difficult is the ball golf distance par 4's and 5's.

The informative signs are nice.

The lake is pretty and becomes a pucker factor when you have to throw a deceptively long distance over a corner of it on hole #16.

There are some really fun holes with elevation drops.

This is a great place to learn to throw rollers due to the huge distances and big open grassy fields that always seem to be mowed pretty short.

It is also a great place to learn how to deal with high winds from every possible angle.
Cons: The concrete tee pads are narrower than most making it awkward if you do an x-step.

I had trouble locating the pin on one of the >1000 ft holes (# 4). I sent my kid's out on an expedition and they found it past the new bridge close to the creek.

The walks between shade trees are very long which makes mid-day summer play difficult.

Hundreds of discs have been lost across the corner of the lake on #16.
Other Thoughts: This course made me give up the sport about 10 years ago but now I realize that a course with this many long holes is extremely rare and though it may be very frustrating for beginners it has it's place and greatly compliments the other more technical Austin area courses.

7/6/2008   7/6/2008
Review By: bacr
Pros: Excellent course. Old Settler's is an extremely challenging course that is not for the faint of heart. The course is set up to play in a circle around a lake.

The park is really nice and is kept in good shape. There are signs on every hole and it is really easy to find the next tee box.

Hole #16 is the marquee hole. You tee off from on top of the dam and have to clear a corner of the lake in order to get to the pin.
Cons: This course is LONG. I mean it. There are two holes that are 1000ft+. Aside from a couple of holes in the trees, most of the holes will test your arm.

For some reason, Old Settlers is really windy. If there is any wind above 10-15 mph in Round Rock, you may want to think twice about going because it will likely be 25 mph at Old Settlers.

Also, there always seem to be people using the park and the lake. If you go on the weekend, watch out for bystanders.
Other Thoughts: Many Austin players have never bothered to drive up to Round Rock to give this course a shot which is a real shame. Old Settlers is an awesome course.

1 2 3 Next >