Round Rock, TX
Old Settlers' Park Share
Uploaded By: Texadelphos Hole #8 (Taken 7/2014)
3 / 350ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Long and windy!

1    7/14/2009   7/15/2009
Review By: sam_puck
Pros: Small Concrete tee boxes, could be a little wider. Baskets and chains in good condition. Park very well maintained. Good signs, some a little off in distance and placement of pin.
Cons: LONG, LONG, LONG!
WINDY, WINDY, WINDY!
HOT, HOT, HOT!
Not too many BIG trees for shade.
Other Thoughts: I still loved the course, even though it was so bad I stopped keeping score. I might go back in the winter, but not while it's still 105 degrees by noon.

WIIINNNDY!!!!!!!

5+    5/26/2010   4/14/2009
Review By: RRDiscgolfer
This review was updated on 6/8/2010
Pros: Definately a great course. Double R's have put in some work and added signage and two tee pads to make it a 21 hole course. Course will be re-numbered.
Cons: No cons, If its too long and too windy, your too old. Dont be afraid of the long course. It will make you better.

Worth the trip

2-4    4/12/1999   4/12/2009
Review By: tmahan
This review was updated on 8/22/2009
Pros: Good use of rolling hills and the few trees that are there. The last half of #4 is a really nice hole by itself (the first 500' or so is just across a field to get you near the creek). Nicely mowed so you can roll the long ones. That dam hole ;-) You're near Austin which is my favorite place in Texas that I've been to so far.
Cons: Not alot of obstacles (but the ones that are there are usually in play), Not much shade to be found on a hot day.
Other Thoughts: I really like this course and make a point of heading out here when ever I get to Austin. The wind has never seemed that intimidating to me and can be really fun if it catches your roller just right (not so fun when it catches it wrong). When the breeze is kicking up it adds an element of adventure to those normally routine 15-20 putts. The shortage of obstacles result in some of the pin settings being close to said obstacles, a case in point being the #4 pin nestled in a grove only a few feet from the creek but I find that preferrable to the alternative of a bunch of long, open field holes. If you get the chance, go to The County Line and get The Big Daddy, a huge plate overflowing with some of the best beef ribs I've had.

Tale of 2 Courses

5+    3/2/2009   4/2/2009
Review By: Dude
Pros: There are actually 2 courses here...or at least alternate teepads for the back half of the course that will keep you away from the lake and the 1000ft holes.

Personally I find the alt tee course to be a lot more fun as it gives you a wide range of shots without having to worry about losing a disc in the lake or deal with gale force winds. Basically you park by the play area near the back nine and there are some dirt teepads right by the lot.

Pros on the main course is that it will open up your big arm throws and it will teach you how to play in the wind. It will teach you how the wind will affect your putting. That said, it's not a course for most if you don't have a big arm and if you're playing par 3s.

Lack of people there. You can pretty much have the place to yourself on most days so you can work on different aspects of your game without having to worry about holding people up. And you can go out with large groups playing doubles without spending half the day letting people play through
Cons: Lack of course direction is pretty huge here especially on the alternate tees so if you don't have someone who's played there a few times leading you, you're probably going to be walking around aimlessly.

The cons on the actual course are part of what makes it unique and that's the long long open holes and dealing with the wind. This is not a course for beginners. Find someone who knows the alternate course and you will be much happier with the round. Personally, I like playing in the wind though of my friends I think I may be the only one. So as a possible con here, it is pretty much always windy.

Last time we played there with the alternate tees we shot up on one of the baskets then waited for a group to play the main course on that basket...which ended with half of our discs being moved because the kids grabbed our discs and the dad with them didn't stop them. It was pretty obvious that they were our discs and the dad clearly saw us. Not a course con, per se, but just a bit of warning that 2 groups playing the same basket could cause some issues.
Other Thoughts: All in all, this course has something for everyone. If you're new to the sport or don't want to deal with wind/water, stick to the short course. If you're looking for a challenge and want to work on different aspects of your game, there's room here for you as well.

There really are some great holes there in the back area so if you are feeling beat down after the first few extremely long holes on the main course, don't give up. If you can't figure out what box goes to which pin...just make up your own course if no one is around.

old settelers park

5+    3/14/2009   3/20/2009
Review By: produce guy
Pros: It's long.it's wide open and it's fun,it has 2 holes that are a 1000 ft. plus.It mostly flat with some grass and lots of dirt/rocks,and trees.
Cons: It's long,It's wide open and can be very ,very windy.
Other Thoughts: It's great course and has a great BBQ resturaunt at the entrance,easy to follow course,nice big lake /pond in the middle of the park,never to many people playing,Son and I have only played this course in the winter/spring months-Jan.m,Feb.,March,haven't played it in the summer yet.

Sigh

1    5/9/2008   3/10/2009
Review By: biggio1
This review was updated on 10/7/2013
Pros: Low traffic, wind, water, and some elevation. Concrete tees are nice because you got some long throws. Go watch a AAA baseball game after your round and drink some beer!
Cons: Distance is either a con or a pro, and I say both. I had a hard time finding the first tee, because the park is HUGE!
Other Thoughts: Been there once and someday will go back again. The best Austin course to get some wind disc golf practice in.

Home Course

5+    2/7/2009   2/7/2009
Review By: forker
Pros: This is the course that brought me a little more dedication to the sport. With some of the long, wide open holes, I find my self trying and working on new grips, throws, discs, etc.. The back nine is a bit of fun if...
Cons: you can make it through the front nine without getting bored, pissed, or tired. Nice long walk. You will learn to hate wind.
Other Thoughts: Not really the most challenging, but you still have to throw all your shots. A really good course to get your full game together. Extra points for only being a bike ride away from home.

Very long!

1    7/15/2007   2/4/2009
Review By: bjreagh
This review was updated on 4/9/2009
Pros: Old Settler's is on a very nice piece of land that contains a picturesque creek and lake that do come into play on some holes. Hole #16 is fun- you tee off from the top of dam across a corner of the lake.
Cons: The front 9 is very wide open- the only obstacles on many of the holes are extreme length and wind. (Look at the pictures of holes 3,4,5,6,7,8 and you will see what I mean.) If you can't throw over 400' feet you will probably hate these 6 holes. I felt like the holes were long just to be long, no obstacles, just long drive practice.

I also had a hard time navigating the course. Signs were inaccurate. Several long walks to the wrong tee! This is mainly due to 1000' holes with no defined fairways- you have no idea where to go when you can't see anything.

I also played at a time when the Austin area was hit hard with flooding rains. The fairways were very wet, making it even harder to throw far.

I think some am. tees would improve the longer holes in order to appeal to a wider range of disc golfer. Maybe they could define a fairway on the barren holes by mowing the grass at different lengths and then maybe plant a couple trees.

For such a prized course it seems to lack many things that exist on other top notch courses I have played.
Other Thoughts: The back 9 is much better than the front in my opinion with some trees in play. I was so tired after the front that I was not able to enjoy the back.

If you have a monster arm and are looking for a place to let 'er rip, then come here- you will probably love this course. If you can't throw long bombs, then I would recommend skipping it. It looks like the other reviews reflect this, some people love it, some hate it.

My rating is primarily due the monotony of holes 3-8 and difficulty in navigation. This is a hard course to rate. I originally gave it 2.0, but have re-evaluated everything.

From a distance challenged point of view playing it the first time:
Front 9- 2.0
Back 9- 3.0
Detailed signs and maps would raise it by 1.0

Pros and distance specialists would probably give this a 4.0+

least fun i have ever had playing disc golf

1    9/23/2008   1/23/2009
Review By: invidious
Cons: I played 5 holes and stopped. Excessively windy, course is too baren.

I spent 45 minutes trying to find my yellow disc in a wide open field of brown dead grass / dirt, and this was in bounds.

On one hole my disc landed in a brook that is litterally 10-15 feet from the hole.
Other Thoughts: Perhaps I just had some bad luck but this course seems poorly planned and maintained. Dead grass and holes within putting distance of water.

I dont understand the good ratings this is getting, maybe the back 9 is better.

Old Settlers'

1    12/28/2008   12/28/2008
Review By: milow369
Pros: Easily accessible, plenty of parking. Course design takes advantage of a beautiful setting around a lake, takes advantage of seemingly unlimited acreage and utilizes elevation changes, patches of oaks, and other Texas trees and wide open fields. Bevo hits on something that struck me most about my round at Old Settlers' today and added to the enjoyment - the course is not crowded or slammed into a small park. There's just plenty of space for disc golf, for hikers, cyclists, everyone. Great park. I found it easy to clear my head and get into my game. This course requires every shot in the bag and more. I will have fun trying to figure these holes out, trying to figure out where I can pick up a stroke or two. I know that playing this course will greatly improve my overall play and I enjoyed the chance to really work on my drive/distance. I appreciated the course design, the course starts out giving the player a chance to make some birdies, get warmed up before the par 4's/5's. While there are several long holes, there are also several birdie opportunities.
Cons: #4's hole map was confusing, I have read on this site that the hole has been changed and the map not yet updated - that makes sense now. (as it turned out, #4 basket hugs the creek beyond the footbridge) Couple of ultra long holes that had me wondering why not break up into some long par 3's - Make 27 holes of world class disc golf. In my opinion Old Settlers is plenty of course even without #4, #17. No bathrooms nearby (that I could see)
Other Thoughts: There was no wind when I played on Sunday. I understand that I was extremely lucky because of that fact. Having played the course I am not sure if my experience would have been the same with a constant 20 mph wind, talk about a monster! This course has moved up to the #1 slot in the Austin, Texas area - in my book. I wish it was closer, I would try to play once a week minimum. This course earns 5 stars if the two 1000' holes are broken up, the other holes on the course are incorporated to make this a 27 hole course. I am a fan of having all par 3's - even if a few are long 500-600' range to keep the pros happy.