Tacoma, WA
East Tacoma DGC Share
Uploaded By: brwn Hole #6 (Taken 9/2012)
3 / 270ft.   3 / 270ft.   3 / 270ft.   3 / 270ft. Par / Distance:

1 and done

1    7/14/2014   7/14/2014
Review By: nwdiscgolfer
Pros: It's a course in Tacoma! With real baskets.
Cons: Poorly marked. Not enough park for anything more than a putting course. If by chance more than 1 group was playing it would be a mess
Other Thoughts: If you can't do it right.....it just might not be worth doing at all. Honestly this course does the sport injustice. I'm amazed at the generosity of other reviewers. If you live in the neighborhood, great you have a personal 4 basket training course. Otherwise don't waste your time.

Nice and simple

1    3/20/2013   3/20/2013
Review By: DeafDiscGolfer
Pros: - Four real DG baskets that are used as 9 holes.

- Simple layouts for all levels.

- Only need three discs to play there.

- Have map online.
Cons: - No introduction sign to tell you where the 1st tee are at.

- No sign to tell you where is next tee after basket but since the park is very small, you can find next tee by walking around or look at map.

- No clear defined tee pads except for one nice tee pads only for #6 and #8
Other Thoughts: Nice park to play short game of 9 holes.

Will recommend to newbies to go there.

Would be nice to use #1 Basket for more holes like maybe new #10 after finishing #9?

East Tacoma DGC

2-4    8/31/2012   10/15/2012
Review By: JR Stengele
Pros:
East Tacoma DGC is located in Roosevelt Park and consists of nine holes that play on four baskets. The course is two tiered, with the majority of the holes playing on the lower portion. The course has a combination of both open and wooded holes, and is best suited for families and novice players alike. However, more advanced players will still enjoy some of the unique lines off the tee pads, along with the slight elevation and low/tight tunnel shots which allow for several chances to practice approach shots and big putts. The four DGA baskets are durable in great shape at the moment, but as the Valk Kid mentioned…who knows how long they will last.

East Tacoma DGC is the ideal place to come and practice some field work or to get a quick round in when there is no time to play some of the larger courses in the area. It is what it is, and knowing that will allow you to enjoy the moment rather than comparing it to places like Fort Steilacoom or Riverside. Holes range from 250-350 feet, with a combination of hyzer and anhyzer shots. Safari golf is HIGHLY recommended if there are no other disc golfers there playing. Printing off a map for first timers is a must!
Cons:
As other reviewers have stated, the tee pads are horrific and often difficult to spot.
The tee signs are pieces of wood with spray paint on them, and are in much need of repair.

The fact that the first basket only gets played to once is a shame, as the other 3 baskets then have eight holes playing toward them. If there are even a few disc golfers out playing on the course it will become quite chaotic so be respectful when throwing!

Last, the area in which the course is located is not exactly the best. If you are playing in the morning or early afternoon there should be no issues but staying late in to the day/night is NOT recommended. Keep valuables hidden and there should be no problems.
I am always excited to see a new course, especially one that targets families and new players. The designers took a small park that was close to extinction and gave it a new purpose for the entire community to enjoy…I hope. Perhaps with a few improvements as mentioned above, along with perhaps a new basket up on top (closer to the ball field), as well as a few redesigned holes, this course could be even better! I hope this course stays intact and that some of the local children can get more active playing it because if not, this course has no chance. I wish the locals all the best in keeping this course alive!

Finilly played it!

1    10/2/2012   10/3/2012
Review By: GiggleWorks
Pros: Its a nice park! The four baskets for nine holes is not an issue at all...my wife and I found the course fun, relaxing and a little challenging at times too. I parred the first two times I played, so others might get negative scores, but the overall feeling of the place was one of relaxation and fun....it was not stressful in any way, and we plan on going back once a week to make it a regular part of our disc golf week.
Cons: The only two cons I can think of is theres only one teepad (for two holes) but it looks like they are planning on putting more in....I can't wait to see the course develope. the second con, I can imagine how hard it would be to play this course if there was one or two other teams out playing at the same time, because it is only four baskets for nine holes. But we were there alone and had a blast!
Other Thoughts: Loved it. I like the way the course is layed out and even though you're playing the same four baskets over and over, each hole felt very different to me. Good job!

Beginners welcome

1    7/8/2012   7/14/2012
Review By: b-mart
Pros: The fact that Tacoma has a beginner friendly course is a big pro, and the quality of the baskets is another one. The homemade baskets shown in the pictures and mentioned in earlier reviews have all been supplanted by real, quality baskets. I don't know my manufacturers that well, but these look more like Lightning. They definitely are not Innova. You'll still find those homemade baskets in the back of the park if you need a good laugh, but none of the tees throw to them.

Once you discover the location of tee 1 (walk in the left side of the park until you reach a tree on your left. It has a sign nailed to the back), the navigation is pretty easy until tee 9. I never would have figured that one out if I hadn't had the map on my phone.

This course does a great job with the small bit of land available, and provides some semi-creative lines through the trees on the back part of the property. The fact that they keep you from encroaching on other park activities is a solid pro as well. The variation in holes is decent, with a few righty and lefty friendly shots.
Cons: I'll start with the neighborhood. It isn't the best. I was there around 5 pm on a Sunday and it seemed pretty quiet, but I wouldn't want to be there around sundown. About half of the course plays down a hill from the street, so you're out of sight if anyone were to mess with you, steal your discs, or whatever. Again, I had no issues with this, but it seemed like something that should be mentioned.

Four baskets. Yes, four. With nine teepads. Well, you can't even call them teepads, but I'll get back to that in a second. Four baskets is enough for a small piece of land like this, but as you can imagine, there is a lot of crossover and the course feels crowded with just two players on it.

There are no teepads. The path around the upper portion of the park can be used as a tee-off area, but the rest of them have very dangerous footing. You won't need anything faster than a fairway driver here, so footwork isn't all that key... But I'm not one who enjoys watching my disc hyzer off down a hill because I was thinking more about my ankles than the basket.
Other Thoughts: This course is good for its target audience: Families and rec players. It provides enough challenge with some of the trees at the bottom of the park for amateur players to be able to enjoy a quick round too. In the end it's just another course for area players to introduce new people to the game or for people who want to check off all of the area courses, but it isn't much more than that. I might pop in for a quick round between Seattle and Portland if I'm in the mood to stretch my legs, but beyond that I can't really justify this park as a return destination unless you live nearby.

Good Practice Field

1    6/2/2012   6/3/2012
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 6/5/2012
Pros: The course plays on a slanting hill and then the flat area at the bottom of the hill. There are four baskets here with two on top of the hill and two on the flat area on opposite ends of the park and you end up throwing back and forth. There are some interesting shots with low ceilings and throwing hyzer or anhyzer around a couple of bunches of trees that grew together that make this a nice little practice course. There are a couple of extra home made baskets here off to the side that catch fairly well surprisingly and I suppose you could play to those baskets as well if you are making your own safari course.
Cons: It's just a really small area for disc golf and only four baskets so it's really more of a practice area than an official course and I can't see it being expanded on this property much. The tee signs are crudely painted on pieces of wood and then stuck to the tree; a real eyesore especially when you don't really need to create tee pads here and the sports that they have for them are where plants could be growing and/or bark is spread.
Other Thoughts: The hole distances on the site here as of my review are waaaaay off on what they actually are. The longest hole I would say was maybe 280 feet at the vary most.

This is a nice course to have in your area for when you want to get out and play but have limited time or the local course is having a tournament or something. You can practice a lot of different shots especially if you play safari which is what I would recommend. Not really anything for serious golf but this place does do its job.

Nice!

5+    5/31/2012   6/1/2012
Review By: Jrbtfc
Pros: SO close to my house. :)
Clean Park, Other DGers are chill here.
Nice very fun shots. Some shots are like you've never seen before. Some easy, some challenging. Great variety of distances and shot types.
Cons: Very new course, needs navigation, and pads, I hear they are working hard on these two things though.
Other Thoughts: I hear the managers are working very hard to get this running smoothly. It's great that this has such attentive managers (so far)

Go check it out.

5+    5/31/2012   6/1/2012
Review By: brwn
Pros: Good holes (some difficult)
Next tee pad is near the previous basket
Perfect Foilage
I dont have to drive, I live very close.
Cons: Needs:
Tees
Better signs for navigation
Other Thoughts: I'm going to play this course a lot.

Play It While You Can!

1    5/31/2012   5/31/2012
This review was updated on 6/3/2012
Pros: I'm very familiar with both this park and this neighborhood, having taught P.E. at the elementary school one block down the street for four years. I used to walk my P.E. classes down here occasionally. The park has been cleaned up quite a bit since then with new benches, picnic tables, a new jogging trail and much pruning and mowing. However, I'm worried about how long anything nice lasts in this neighborhood. They do have have this annoying little habit of destroying things.
The small park consists of an upper half with a softball field and then slopes down to a lower level that has a scattering of mature trees. Currently there are four brand new DGA baskets here with two on the ridgeline of the upper part and the other two in the lower section. There were also four fairly homely homemade yellow baskets scattered about. I wouldn't bet on them reaching old age.
The course designer(s) have fashioned some homemade signs and attached them to trees. I missed the sign for # 1 walking in as it sets on backside of the first tree I passed. Eventually I located tee signs for # 1, 2, 4, 6 and 8. I found a broken sign pointing to 5 and 7.
There are no teepads to speak of. I think the designers want you to tee off in some fairly rough patches of beauty bark down on the south end of the park. I'd use the sidewalk near the new pinnic table instead. The physical grounds of the park are really fairly nice for a disc golf course with it's small hilly incline in the center.
Cons: The four temporary baskets are going to die a slow death. The homemade signs on the trees are probably going to fall prey to some of my former students. There are no teepads to speak of. An on-line map would help considerably. As soon as I woite this, brwn has uploaded the map. I'm not sure whether it can be printed off or not. If it can be printed, it would help a lot.
Other Thoughts: The softball field is almost never used. I'd stick one tee up near the backstop and another down the left field line near the gate to give the course some variety. I'd get rid of the temp baskets before they get trashed and figure out 8 or 9 holes playing to the four real baskets you have. I shudder to think what these nice baskets are going to look like in a year or two.

As you walk in on the path, the first tee sign is on the back of the tree by the new pincic table, close to the new Metro Parks sign. You drive from there to the basket that is on right field foul line. It's probably 350 ft. across the outfield grass.
As excited as I am to finally get a course in the city of Tacoma I have to admit, I'm not at all optomistic as to it's future.