District Heights, MD
Francis Scott Key DGC Share
Uploaded By: prerube Hole #2 (Taken 6/2012)
Hole #2 Basket (B Position): Notice the old bamboo basket in background

School Course Serves It's Purpose!

1    7/12/2013   7/21/2013
Pros: I think this is one of those little schoolyard courses which was designed to introduce students to our game of disc golf. They've never been to Brandywine Creek or Patapsco Valley, so they think they have a great little course here. If I were the P.E. teacher, I'd figure out a way to get my students out throwing some discs and having some fun.

The terrain is basically a flat square lawn space maybe two acres. There are three older baskets with three marked tee pads. The pads have #'s and a little orange pipe for the front board. Each hole is a ACE run being less than 200' but that's perfect for elementary students.
Cons: I was and am still a little confused with the setup. I guess there's three tee pads for each basket but then I found extra baskets over in the bushes. Having a course with only three baskets, I'd really want to use this additional basket to make a four basket course.
Other Thoughts: Regardless of the number of baskets or the the slightly confusing layout, I love the idea of salvaging these old baskets from Pohick Bay and sticking them here at F.S. Key.

Introducing these students to some disc golf is a great idea and everyone of us would love to see a course on every elementary school campus in America. Plus it gives us another place to go and practice or to take that newbie.

Like the first reviewer says, my score might be a little inflated, but this little course serves a purpose, introduces folks to our sport and I like that.

Date: 6/13/2014 Designer Response by: prerube
Thanks for visiting. We originally wanted a 6 hole course, but was told that it was a safety issue and we needed to keep it as 3 holes.

Ace run at youth course

1    6/1/2012   6/1/2012
Review By: prerube
This review was updated on 6/6/2014
Pros: 3 baskets (2 with B pins) with 3 tee pads makes 9 holes of ace runs.
Great place to introduce young children to disc golf or for an expereinced player to try for aces.
Some risk verse reward shots. On hole 3 if you go for the ace you could fade 30-50 feet down hill on the left.
Orange toe boards on all A pins.
Holes are relatively easy, but 900+ rated players can still toss a 3, but every position of every hole is easily dueceable.
Cons: UPDATE: The tee markers have been destroyed making the tees difficult to find.
The second basket on hole 2 is totally unusable as it is engulfed in vines. The second basket on hole 3 never went into the ground.
And the second row of chains is falling off on basket 2A.
___
course is mostly open, but there is a chance of disc loss in the thorns on holes 2 and 3 for novice players. this is a putter course, the only place to use your driver is the 600 foot open field below the disc golf course.
very old baskets (retired from Pohick Bay and repainted)
Currently 2B is in high grass, so the basket will stay in 2A for a majority of the summer.
Other Thoughts: UPDATE: If you are in the area this is a fine place for a quick practice, but it is not worth the travel.
________
there is a tone pole for hole 4 as an experiment, but the flow is better when you just go to a different tee.
1.5 may be too generous, but the course is made for children and a really fun group of ace possibilites...plus, I am bias.
If you are coming down and want to play the A and B pin locations contact me.
When using scorecard. C tees are red, A tees are White, and B are Blue. It is a little confusing but we are working on that.