Austin, TX
Circle C Metro Park @ Slaughter Creek Share
Uploaded By: Bevo Hole #9 (Taken 5/2009)

So good

1    5/9/2014   5/12/2014
Review By: slamminsammy
Pros: As almost every review says, this course is awesome! So many different types of holes that are all a challenge. Truly a top notch course that anyone who remotely likes disc golf will enjoy.

I am not an especially good at disc golf (I shot a +14 here) but I still had an absolute blast here so don't be intimidated by the difficulty, it's still fun!

Well maintained course. There was very little trash in the trees lining each hole and lots of trash cans. Also the tee pads are kept very nice and each has a bench to take a quick break on.
Cons: Long course with lots of walking. Not really a con, but something to be ready for when you go. Took me and a friend 2+ hours to play it and our legs were definitely tired after.
Other Thoughts: If your skill level isn't high, don't be scared to use the front tees. I started off using the back tees, but had a much better time when I moved to the front tees after the first couple holes.

Bring water and maybe a snack. Course is long and takes a while to play, don't want to be caught thirsty out there.

This course is a must if you are going to be in the Austin area, or anywhere in Texas for that matter. You will be challenged but have a lot of fun.

Fantastic!

1    1/3/2014   2/23/2014
Review By: Dday301
Pros: -Everything!
Cons: -Fairways can beat up your discs with lots of rocks
Other Thoughts: I can't say enough good things about this course, this is a fantastic course! It is no easy course though, you have to bring your A game even to come out all even. Tons of shot variety, some short some long, some open some very tight, right to left, left to right, uphill and downhill. You'll need every type of shot to do well here. Long and short boxes on most holes. Bring your water bottles because this course is long. Hole 18 is a monster, and the signature hole of the course, it's over 900 feet from the long box. Fairly open in the beginning leading to a slight bottleneck before opening up and heading left, then slightly tightening back up and crossing over a decently wide creek that almost always has some water in it. If your in ATX I highly recomend playing here!

5+    7/29/2010   7/29/2011
Review By: CKR-JK
Pros: Tee pads.
Alotof time and money went into this course.
Hole 18 is sick. If you can get a 4, you da man.
Cons: Litter.
Long waits when its a nice day with so many casuals.
Have to carry alot of water on hot days.
Other Thoughts: My favorite course in Austin.

killeen area discers

1    12/13/2010   12/20/2010
Review By: michelsea
This review was updated on 7/9/2013
Pros: Great mix of ling and short as well as straight and easy to very technical and difficult. Great scenery well maintained, and overall impressive
Cons: If you don't know what your doing this course may make you hate the sport. Rocky terrain and heavily wood so you may loose discs or destroy them if you aren't careful. It's also long as Hell so plan to make a day of it.
Other Thoughts: This is probably my favorite course I've played in years and don't trust your god when you get close to the course the trails are hard to spot at first and they are rocky but if you dont mind the hike its awesome. The wide selection of holes makes it fun and challenging but this is no course for beginners.

I said Niiice at every tee.

1    12/12/2009   12/14/2009
Review By: HoopHound
This review was updated on 12/17/2009
Pros: My absolute favorite course. Truly dolled up - what pay to play ought to be, but its free. Short long tight wide - just a pleasure to experience every hole you come to. Stipping stones in the paths between holes - huge rocks make benches at tees - 18 was my favorite hole.
Cons: None.
Other Thoughts: Go play this course. Somebody put on a tournament after the first - I'll bring eight or ten from San Angelo!

Gotta Play!

1    8/12/2009   8/12/2009
Review By: HRPufinstuf
Pros: Hole design, variety of shots needed, professional feel, T signs / boxes, overall experience
Cons: ummm - the heat? a bit more righty friendly holes than lefty -(guess what I am). Wear sturdy shoes with good ankle support - some rocky fairways to navigate. nothing bad really - just things to note.
Other Thoughts: Not that I have played that many courses but I have never played a course that was this well maintained, supported etc.. so many other courses in parks make you feel like you are the second or third option for the use of the space (if that high up the priority list) - but this place feels like it was put together for disc golf and the rest revolves around it. Wow - it just has such a quality to every thing about it. The holes are quite diverse in length, design, flight paths and elevation - (for Texas anyway). I was in the area for my son's graduation from basic training in San Antonio and arrived early to check out the scene in Austin ( music, food, disc golf). I played Pease Park one day and enjoyed it alot - very fun city course. Stopped by the Disc Nation disc golf store, picked up a few discs, threw a few on their practice range (you can throw all you want) and got some tips from one of the Pro's there (forgot his name, but very nice guy - rookie of the year last year) and then asked which course I "must" play - I had researched all the courses in the area listed here and he steered me toward Circle C - saying it had just been renovated. The work put into this place blew me away. Pro and Am tees on every hole - concrete pads, each tee had a T sign with relative distances (for Pro and Am). Well worn paths from hole to hole - may "groomed" and landscaped - with steps, retaining timbers, etc.... There are several ace run holes with tight lines, and several par 4-5 holes that snake around. There always seems to be one big oak that you have to contend with on even the most open holes. Most fairways are tight and not quite straight - so be sure you have a good selection of over and understable discs for different distances. The guy I played with was pretty successful with monster tomahawks (he had the shoulder for it) and I even threw a couple - which i rarely do. Despite the requirement for accuracy - I don't see a high risk of lost discs - the "rough" tends to knock things down pretty fast. But if you do go deep off the fairway -plan on playing it safe and getting back into the fairway anyway you can.

I absolutely loved this course - and my home course is #3 rated Beaver Ranch (on this site) - I would take any excuse to get back down here to play it again.

The Best Course I've Ever Played.... PERIOD

1    7/4/2009   7/5/2009
Review By: SpringDgLover
Pros: Ok let me first preface this by saying that I realize what it means to give a course a 5/5. I am not a reviewer who gives this rating lightly and as I've played more and more my apprecation for great course design, application, and brilliance has gone up. With that being said I can think of no other course more deserving of the coveted 5 disc rating then Circle C in Austin, Texas.

From the minute you walk up to the practice baskets you will be impressed. There are two baskets to throw back and forth on, with one being out in the open susceptible to wind and the other guarded by trees. This seemingly menial thing is indicative of what makes this course great, a superp attention to detail. From there you stroll over to the first teebox, elevated and surrouned by beautiful cedar, each box has been maticulously crafted. I say crafted because Waterloo Disc Club did just that. From the large limestone, rectangular bolders, that provide a place to place your bag or your rear. To the fantastic Houck tee signs that perfectly illustrate your path to the basket. To the pathways that have been lined with large beautiful stones and strairways that make a hike to even the most precarious of tee's a breeze. To the clearly defined fairways on almost every hole. To the varying heights on cages, taking into consideration elevation and angle. This course was not just redesigned it was refined and polished into a spectacular display of great disc golf course design.

So "what about hole layouts" you ask? Well to me this is by far the most challenging yet balanced course I have ever had the honor to play. Each hole has a pro and am tee and each one has its own set of challenges. There are typically at least two paths to the basket for each hole and the par ratings are extremely fair. An example of this is hole #7 a seemingly straight forward shot and a very aceable run, it is also a shot you could easily shoot 2 up on.

Here in lies the brilliance of Circle C. Holes that have depth and variety rarely seen in all the other courses I have played. I loved the up hill shot on #9 and the corresponding downhill shot on #10. I found the pin location on #5 to be outstanding (its set up on a small cliff). I was so impressed by the stone work in the creek on #2. I could type all day about the things I loved on each and every hole this course had to offer.
Cons: Honestly I have a hard time finding anything wrong with this course and feel like when I do I'm just nitpicking. I think the transistion between #5 and #6 is a little confusing, but just bring a map the first time and you will have no problem at all finding it. Also if you type in the GPS coordinates for this course into Google Maps it will give you directions to a private neighborhood and this is not where the course resides. Just remember to stay on Slaughter and the course is on the left. The only other problem I had, has nothing to do with the course at all. When you play this course you really start respect all the hard work and effort that Waterloo DG Club and Austin Parks put in and it just sickens me when I see trash scattered around. Now there are adequate trash cans but this disrespect is atrocious and a place like this should be revered not crapped on.
Other Thoughts: I can type all the pretty, big words I want to describe how great this course is, but I think instead I will just tell a story. I decided to head to Austin and play a few courses with a buddy who almost never plays. He is a winebag and is always complaining about this and that, how unfair pars are on some of the courses we played or how crappy the baskets are and stuff like that. Well lets just say that he had nothing bad to say about this course. This is saying alot for a pure rec player with little experience and even less game. He felt the course was fair and extremely well kept and couldn't stop raving about it. Now this praise came from a guy who shot 20 over now imagine what a Pro or Am player would think. Thank you so much Waterloo DG club, you guys are amazing, bravo. This course is as close to perfect as you will find in Texas and for the love of God play it already.

Course Closed for Redesign

5+    5/31/2008   1/20/2009
Review By: skurf
This review was updated on 3/14/2011
Pros: After the revamp and slight redesign, Circle C is the premiere Austin disc golf course and my personal favorite of any course I've ever played. There are so many pros it's going to be hard to list, but I'll give it a shot:

-Every hole has a concrete teepad, with most holes having dual concrete tees.

-On most holes, the difference between the long and short tee not only adds distance, but it adds a much more difficult line that needs to be hit.

-Limestone block-benches located at most teepads.

-Detailed teesign for every teepad.

-Mulch in the fairways, mulch around the baskets, rock drainage areas, and rock paths between holes keeps the mud situation after a rain quite manageable and makes this course the best in the area to play after recent rains.

-The diversity of this course is simply unmatched. Between uphill, downhill, tunnels, bombers, technical, right turning, left turning, 2 par 5s, and multiple par 4s, this course has it all. The only golf shot not found at this course is a wide open field shot like you see on many holes at Old Settler's or #16 at Pease.

-There is a field hockey/soccer field right next to the first tee that is usually unoccupied and great for warm-up drives. That's in addition to the two warm-up baskets that you'll find before the first tee.

-Everything is in excellent condition from the baskets to the tee pads to the trimmed limbs along the fairways to the branch sculptures to well...everything.

-Space-age trash cans every so often, but oddly some people still prefer to use the ground as their waste receptacle.

-Restrooms located right before the first tee.

-The difficulty level of this course is high, especially from the long tees. Every hole from the short 200 footers to the 900 foot bombers require accuracy and precision. Even on the long holes it is more important to have precision. Long-arms that are not accurate are going to be punished heavily on this course. Every shot actually requires you to think before you throw, especially considering the rough out here is usually quite difficult to shoot out of.

-The landscaping out here is really top notch. From the earlier mentioned rock walkways and drainage ditches to the terraced hills and erosion-preventing tee-pads that are bordered by cedar logs embedded in the ground and many other nuances separate this course from others in the area.

-For the most part this course flows well and it is never more evident then playing the course when it is crowded, which oddly doesn't happen as much as some other courses in town.
Cons: I've been trying to think of a con for quite some time and I just can't come up with any. I've heard of people that complain about a few of the baskets not being regulation height, but I really don't see this as a "problem" or "con." On the uphill tunnel hole the basket is elevated above some double-terraced landscaping. For me, this actually adds to the overall intimidating feel of the hole as the basket looms high on the hill overlooking your measly attempt of landing on the green.

Another aspect of this course that may be considered a con are the jagged rocks near the basket and in the fairway of #7, but that would be like giving a con to mother nature and I just can't do that.

Honestly, I have no cons for this course, and this is the ONLY course that I can say that for.
Other Thoughts: The only negative that I can think of is that my 2 favorite teeboxes are located on the same hole (#12).. I've played this course hundreds of times and every time I play it I actually end up liking it more. This is not the closest course to where I live, but I'm more than willing to drive a few extra miles to play a course of this caliber.

I've gotta give props to the location of the long teepad on #12. It is the absolute best teebox location of any hole I've ever played. It's up on this hill and there is a safe straight fairway that you can take, or for those willing to risk it, there's an amazing over-the-tree-tops line that you can take. The further right you aim, the closer to the pin you can possibly land, but the more trees that you have to shoot over. It is the definitive risk-reward type of shot because the level of risk scales with how big your balls are. Many a disc have been lost in those woods from people (myself included) not clearing the tree tops or cutting the disc too far right.