Austin, TX
Circle C Metro Park @ Slaughter Creek Share
Uploaded By: Bevo Hole #14 (Taken 5/2009)
Hole #14 Short Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
One of Austin's Best Courses

2-4    3/11/2016   1/4/2017
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (4.264 Rating) Generally regarded as the best course in Austin.
- CHALLENGING - Circle C is one of the more challenging courses in the entire Austin metro area. The holes are fairly long from the back tees and adequately narrow but fair at the same time. It will definitely bring out all your weak areas and punish you alike. The course is a good mix of both power and finesse holes. Probably only upper end advanced players break par from the backs on a routine basis.
- UNIQUENESS - The overall uniqueness is way above your average 18 hole course. There are a bunch of 4's and two par 5's. Doglegs holes occur in both directions. There are good up and down elevation shots on back to back holes 9 and 10. There are well guarded pocket shots, and windows shots and well defined tunnel fairways. Really the only thing that is missing is a creek element or pond in play. There is a creek bed on 18, but it's been dry for all 3 of my rounds here.
- SHOT SELECTION - I probably play 70 percent backhand and the rest flicks on this course. 90% of your drives will have to be well thought out and placed and few need to be both bombed and fairly precise.
- CHARACTER - The course definitely has the feel of an older established course. lots of stone and wood work for terracing. There is very well artistically illustrated and fairly accurate hole signage throughout the course. Most of the tees are shaded well and there are two tees pads at most holes for ams and pros. There is great seating and a practice field and basket at one. Trash cans are spaced every few holes. If there was one thing that I'd add, it would be multiple pin placements.
- TEES - Some of the best tees in all of Austin. They are concrete, long and wide.
- SPACING - well spaced out holes with no chance of running one into another fairway. The walk to the next hole is generally not too far with perhaps 12 to 13 being an exception.
- CHILL AREAS - Lots of secluded areas and benches at every hole to take a break at.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - The course in my opinion, is one of the more scenic course I've played. (However only average among the south side Austin courses as I find the natural beauty of Zilker and Bible Ridge a touch more picturesque)
Cons: All the below items I find to be minor issues when rating a course.
- TIME WAITING - This course gets heavy use. Rarely will one play a round here and not have to stop and wait at some point. There really isn't any good points to skip a hole if needed either.
- TIME PLAY - Course is not a quick play, a group of 4 should plan to be here at least 3 hours to complete 18 holes.
- OVERGROWTH - At some point you will end up in the rough. the terrain is pretty raw in areas. I always seem to spend significant time looking for errant discs in the over abundance of scraggly cedar trees and low shrub vegetation.
- TERRAIN - If you have bad knees or ankles stay clear of this course. Lots of rocks and roots to stub a toe or twist an ankle on. Although I've seen them before here, not the best course for the disc golf bag stroller. you'd need some big wheels.
- NAVIGATION - Tricky in spots on my first time threw. Be sure to have a map. Course does generally do a good job with next tee arrows on the hole signage. But if you're like me, I've already forgotten the next tee call-out by the time I finish the hole.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - This really is not a beginners course, even from the am pads. although the odds of losing a disc is below average, the course requires the skills of a seasoned player to not come away felling defeated. Rec players will be 20 to 30 over par.
- VANDALISM - There was a bunch of tagging on the hole signage.
Other Thoughts: One of best courses I've ever played. It has a little bit of everything regardless of a players personal preferences. The only players that be advised to stay clear are beginners with less than 1 year experience and those with walking impairments. If you are from out of town and can hit one course in the area, this should be number 1 or 2 on your list.

Favorite course in austin

5+    6/25/2016   6/29/2016
Review By: Justinperkins
Pros: Lots of shot variety, long holes, short holes, difficult hyzer shots, short wooded shots, uphills with low ceilings, downhills with low ceilings ... it's got it all.

Most of the course is well shaded and protected, so whether it's hot Texas summer or windy fall, it's not so bad at Circle C.
Cons: Tons of sharp & slippery limestone ... successful skip shots here are few and far between. The terrain is well known for munching discs and halting them dead in their tracks. When it's wet out, the rocks are REAL slippery.

Fun in TX

1    2/7/2016   2/10/2016
Review By: paulrothley@msn.com
Pros: This course is very fun. There are shorter and longer holes and some very fun elevation changes. The tee-pads are in good condition, and the benches are huge 2 ton blocks of stone, se they can't be vandalized.
Cons: The Jack*sses who got foiled by not being able to vandalize the benches took out there frustrations on the signage. The bushes are rough on the skin, they tore me up. There was no next tee box signage other than on the tee-signs that survived the vandal onslaught.
Other Thoughts: Worth the trip in every way, and the locals were were very friendly.

Great Variety of Holes

1    12/16/2015   12/16/2015
Review By: markmcc
Pros: This course offers everything from short little 200' ace runs to monster 800'+ par fives. While not hilly, there is enough elevation to set up a few uphill and downhill holes as well.

The course plays through a wooded area with enough trees and shrubs to create definite fairways and punishing rough, but isn't so tight that you are dealing with tight tunnels or "poke-n-pray" holes. The fairways on most holes a generously wide, but all require hitting your line to avoid some pretty tight rough.

Two concrete tee pads on most holes. The pads are large, level concrete with excellent texture. All of the pads are boxed in with large cedar timbers, and many have additional steps or terraces built as well. Really a great example of how to handle tees on heavily used courses.

Good descriptive tee signs with an accurate hole diagram, distances, par, next hole arrow, etc. Very helpful for this travelling golfer. Innova baskets in good shape, and easy to spot with their yellow top bands.

Hole 18 is a great finishing hole. At over 800' from either tee, you are looking at two or three sweeping drives to get into position for the final section of the hole. You hit a gap into a final narrow wooded fairway to the basket set just across a small creek. With timbers forming steps down to, and then back up out of the creek, and the basket tucked into a small circular clearing in the trees, it is a worthy final challenge on this excellent course.
Cons: The course gets a lot of use and is pretty well beat in. Lots of bare, rocky ground, a few tee signs missing and a couple tagged as well. In spite of plenty of trash cans and even signs on each tee telling you where the next trash can is, too many cans and bottles on the ground.

The ground is rocky, and covered with sharp, exposed rock as well. You will be throwing into, and landing on rock, and your discs will get banged up a little. Bring your premium plastic!

This is a popular mixed use park, and I had a couple of encounters with people just walking on the fairways, usually with an unleashed dog or two.

Navigation is good due to the well-worn trails between holes, but a couple of "next tee" signs would be welcome where other trails cross.
Other Thoughts: The first time I tried to play this course was on a nice weekday afternoon. There were several groups waiting to tee off on Hole 1, with a couple of more groups getting in behind me as I waited. I bailed that day because the crowds just looked miserable.

This time I arrived at 8:30 on a cool, cloudy morning and had the course to myself. The course obviously gets a lot of traffic so plan ahead or be ready for a slow round.

Great disc golf experience

1    11/10/2015   11/12/2015
Review By: KenanFlagler01
Pros: I played Circle C while in Austin on a business trip. I'm used to wooded North Carolina courses. I was totally unprepared--and pleasantly surprised--by Texas's version of a wooded course. Circle C has trees that grow out horizontally as much as vertically. In a typical pine forest course, you have a fairway or a line you have to hit, but you don't have to worry about a forest ceiling. The trees are straight up and down and the branches are high. Not so at Circle C. You have to worry about so many factors, including low ceilings. It's just so difficult with so many shots required.

When I showed up to play, I looked lost and confused and a local golfer saw me and asked if I wanted to play with him (maybe my Uber drop-off tipped him off that I wasn't from around here). I mention this for two reasons, one pro and one con. On the plus side, this local was incredibly gracious: he gave me tips on every hole. AND he even gave me a ride back to where I was staying after we finished. He just went way out of his way and I want to compliment Austin for its quality people. On the con side, I don't think navigation would have been very easy at all had I played by myself. There are some missing tee signs, directional signs, and there are a few long walks in between holes. If you're new to the course, I highly recommend playing with a local.

Other pros:

- Incredible variety of types of holes (par 3's, 4's, and 5's; short, very long; downhill, uphill; doglegs with landing zones, zig-zags, and a few straight holes and ace runs). Extremely challenging and fun course.

- The par 4's and 5's are true par 4's and 5's.

- The short tees are still very long and challenging. They are designated "red tees," but I think they should be white tees, due to the difficulty and length. The long tees are blue, borderline gold.

- Opportunities to bomb, but even these "open holes" are pretty technical (see the above trees discussion).
Cons: Despite my amazing experience playing here, there are a couple of cons that can't be overlooked:

1. Navigation (mentioned above).

2. The terrain is very rocky, yet muddy. Footing was an issue for me. Be careful not to twist an ankle. Also, drainage seemed to be a problem, as most of the course was very muddy. There's no grass at all, just mud and rocks. I guess this is Texas disc golf! I didn't mind it so much, but you should be careful and wear good shoes, preferably trail shoes or boots you don't mind getting covered in mud.
Other Thoughts: This course was almost a 4.5 for me--and my experience playing here was 4.5/5.0--but the two cons above knocked it down just a peg. Still, this is a first class course and I highly recommend it to Austintonians and interlopers alike!

1    6/23/2015   6/23/2015
Review By: Tailwind
Pros: Beautiful and challenging course. Lots of variety. Plays well for both lefty and righties. Because of the difficulty it is a lot less crowded than most of Austin's courses. Bring out your long bombs.
Cons: Be prepared to walk as much from hole to tee as you will on the course. Not sure if it is Austin or the course rating that brings out the worst in disk golfers. I have been here 5 times now and the players I have encountered are a bit on the serious side and not as friendly as other places. Parking can be tough, this is a busy park.
Other Thoughts: Bring Water

Getting slaughtered was fun!

1    6/1/2014   6/1/2015
Review By: waterhyzerd
Pros: Very nice multi-use park but the course area is mostly DG exclusive.

Shot variety was plentiful. It has distance, left, right, up and down. I was an out-of-towner so I only had about 10 different discs on me- pretty sure I used all of them.

Hole 18. From my one time playing it, I gather it took a technical first shot, followed by a huge righty hyzer over the top to put you in front of or right behind the creek, and then a putt for a 4 if you're lucky. Definitely the top signature hole here.

Dual teepads, adequate trashcans and navigation, and discatchers in good repair.
Cons: As mentioned previously, the footing was well affected by a little rain and some nasty clay/ mud. After a while, the teepads seemed to lack available real estate on the sides for scraping mud off of our shoes.
Other Thoughts: The terrain seemed on the rugged side which was a plus. I appreciate courses that blur the line between playing disc golf and going for a legitimate hike; circle c gave me that feeling. Coming from Michigan where we seem to have our fair share of quality courses, I would rank this one easily in our top five as well.

Circle C Review

2-4    1/17/2015   1/21/2015
Review By: Pa3Money
Pros: I thought that this course was great. I came to the course having no idea what it would be like. After I played it it instantly became my favorite course. I was very scenic shots with a variety of technical and less technical lines. It had very good variety in hole length as well as design. It was all in all a great course.
Cons: The only bad things that I could think of were that for beginners it can get confusing to find you way around. It can also get a little bit muddy.
Other Thoughts: This course really lives up to its high ranking.

Definitely Shows its worth

1    1/4/2015   1/8/2015
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: Being rated fourth in the State of Texas behind the two courses at Selah Ranch and Shawshank, this course had a lot of expectations to live up to, and it did just that. The course features two set of tees with big concrete pads. DisCatchers are the premier baskets in my opinion, and Circle C had 18 of them and were all in good shape.

The course had a huge variety of holes from short technical shots that throw up and down hills to long par 4s and par 5s. You can tell from playing the course that this is a Houck designed course because of the length of the course. Since it is a Houck designed course, there are fair landing zones off the tee on all of the longer holes. This is a course that will challenge you in every aspect from the first hole to the last hole.

I really enjoyed the holes 7-10. They were par 3s but all different. Hole 8 is a blind shot downhill, very challenging but if you can get it, it feels great. Hole 9 and 10 play up a hill and then back down it on the next hole.

Like mentioned in previous reviews, hole 18 is the premier hole on the course. It's a horeshoe type hole that ends throwing over a ravine. A four would be a great score on this hole.
Cons: Like most courses in Central, Texas, a little bit of rain can really make playing the course hard. The mud is they type of mud that cakes to the bottom of your shoes, making for slippery drives and muddy discs.

The transition from hole 12 to hole 13 is not obvious at all. This definitely was the worst of the few navigation problems that this course has.

When I went to play, it was in the 30s and rainy. The few locals mentioned that we got there at a good time, as on a nice day, you will have to wait on each hole because the course gets crowded since it is the premier course in the area.
Other Thoughts: This is a fantastic course that I enjoyed every second of playing, even if it was muddy. In my opinion, I do not feel this is the fourth best course in Texas. I think I have a preference of McClain Park in San Antonio over Circle C, but this really was a fantastic course.

This seems like one of those courses that gets easier and more fun to play the more you play it. You get to know the lines off the tee better and it becomes more enjoyable. I would play this course frequently if I lived in the Greater Austin area.

Worth the drive

2-4    11/23/2014   11/25/2014
Review By: mattrowe
Pros: This is a challenging course for experienced golfers. The scenery is beautiful, and the course rewards you for staying on the fairway. I haven't played many Austin courses, but the locals consider this one of the best in town. There is a wide array of tee shots, and the course is easy to navigate.
Cons: There are a lot of holes that are reachable with a putter, and there are a handful of "bomber" holes... There aren't many 350-ish holes where a well-placed fairway driver rewards you with a drop-in birdie (which is my favorite type of hole). I feel like I threw either putters or distance drivers here, not too many midranges or fairway drivers.
Other Thoughts: Don't bring a beginner here for his/her first round. Do bring water! You'll do a bit more walking/hiking here compared to most courses.

The 18th hole is super long challenging, and a difficult par 5. If you need a birdie on 18 to beat your buddies (or set a personal best), you'll need 4 perfect shots. It's probably a little easier to make up a throw by being aggressive on 17.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8