Austin, TX
Circle C Metro Park @ Slaughter Creek Share
Uploaded By: Bevo Hole #5 (Taken 5/2009)
Hole #5 Long Tee

Great Course!

2-4    5/30/2010   5/30/2010
Review By: cc0049
Pros: This course looks awesome right now! I played this course two years ago and it has come a long way since then. Props to whoever has been putting in all the work to improve the course because it looks awesome! There are concrete tees on every hole, many of which offer both a long and a short tee. The tee boxes have well manicured grass around the concrete on some and wood chips surrounding others. There are logs lining the outside of the tee boxes. There are good looking signs by each tee box showing the fairway, pin location, tee location, as well as par and distance. The tee boxes are a good length too. Baskets are Discatchers and are in great condition. There are trash cans at various locations, restrooms, and plenty of shade to be found. There are very well manicured pathways from each basket to the following tee box making it very easy to navigate even on your first time out and without a map. (A huge upgrade from the condition of the course two years ago when I first played it.) There are also rock benches by the tee boxes. There is a large area for putting practice before you start your round which is a huge plus.
This is a very challenging course that plays very fair. Good shots are rewarded. There are several par 4s and at least one par 5 that can be birdied or eagled with excellent shots. A variety of shots are offered from the tee boxes.
Cons: There aren't many cons to mention. There are some longer holes that you can't see the basket from on the tee box requiring you to walk ahead if you want to know where you are throwing, but the fairways are well defined, so in most cases just stay on the fairway and you will be fine. The ground is very rocky (as seems to be the case in most south Texas courses) taking the roller and a consistent skip shot out of your arsenal on many shots. The low trees make the overhand shot readily available on most holes, at least on an upshot. I'll take the overhand shot when it is there and there weren't too many times when I was forced to make a more difficult shot.
Other Thoughts: I was very impressed with this course. This may be the best course in Texas that I have played. It is definitely top 5 at the least. I can't think of anything else that could be done to improve this course. It plays very fun and very challenging. This course is definitely tournament caliber! (I did not see any problem with the height of the baskets even though other reviewers have mentioned that as a problem. I also did not notice much if any trash)

Read the rules

5+    5/10/2010   5/11/2010
Review By: 33130
Pros:
Great use of land
Wide range of shots needed
Perfect balance of challenge and fun
Cons:
Trash
Graffiti
Drunks
Soccer moms
The other reviewers do a great job of covering the myriad things that make this a great course, but I'm surprised to find everyone claiming the baskets are not regulation. The baskets are all Innova DISCatcher Pros. They are regulation. Some of the basket sleeves are set high in the ground (6, 9, 16 off the top of my head) and at least one (15) is set low. This is intentional.

Know the rules before you accuse them of being broken.

Fantastic

5+    3/2/2010   4/10/2010
Review By: DrDipsomania
Pros: Super well-marked with beautifully detailed signs. Concrete tee pads for both amateur and pro level tees. Very fluid layout, making for a decent amount of exercise to go with your golfing. Fair amount of elevation change. Shot variety galore - despite what is ostensibly a very natural layout - a testament to how well thought out the course design is. Plenty of opportunities to let it rip, but also enough to go for that short and soft technical shot. In a large park/recreation area, but separate enough so that the casual crowd of nature-seekers never ambles through the course. Benches at almost every tee. Enough shade to stave off some of the Summer heat.
Cons: My only real gripe is something quite a few other reviewers touched on: that not all baskets are regulation height - some are higher, some are lower. By no means are there a lack of trash cans out here, but lazy slobs insist on tossing their garbage wherever they feel like. Has a tendency to attract large (6+) groups of players. Because of its length and the amount of people that do come out here, it can take a while to play 18.
Other Thoughts: Far and away my personal favorite course in Austin. More than any other course, this one has forced me to improve my game, mostly by the accuracy it requires. The requirement, however, is not a detriment, because the design is so purposefully and artfully done; rather, it makes you want to improve your shots so that you can come to appreciate the beauty of making the shots the course was designed for.

I said Niiice at every tee.

1    12/12/2009   12/14/2009
Review By: HoopHound
This review was updated on 12/17/2009
Pros: My absolute favorite course. Truly dolled up - what pay to play ought to be, but its free. Short long tight wide - just a pleasure to experience every hole you come to. Stipping stones in the paths between holes - huge rocks make benches at tees - 18 was my favorite hole.
Cons: None.
Other Thoughts: Go play this course. Somebody put on a tournament after the first - I'll bring eight or ten from San Angelo!

Worth the drive

1    12/11/2009   12/12/2009
Review By: vaderdave
Pros: A true testament to a course is for an "out of Towner" to show up and enjoy themselves, on the course. This is what I did, I drove 60 miles showed up with no course map or score card. This course is so easy to follow it's unbelievable, great signage and very easy trails to follow. I loved the use of rocks to make drainage paths, and the lined trails. This disc golf course is great; I really enjoyed the elevation change, and the use of wood chops in the landing area in the fairway, and around some of the baskets. The approach shot on 18 is something to behold, an up hill shot across the creek, to an elevated basket.
Cons: On 18 the before mention creek must be crossed by "tight rope walking" across a log that has been laid in the creek. Leaving the 12th basket the path crosses the creek, but on this day the creek was five ft. deep, and 20 ft wide. It took me about five minutes to walk around this flooded creek. Not all baskets are regulation in height
Other Thoughts: A lot of work has gone into this course, and the locals should be proud of what they have. I enjoyed playing circle c. It was worth the drive.

awesome course

5+    11/11/2009   11/12/2009
Review By: Rocco
Pros: challenging yet fun, well maintained, very scenic, peaceful and great concrete tee off areas. also has clear, informative signs
Cons: sometimes the course get a little backed up, especially on weekends. night golf very challenging because of the course layout.
Other Thoughts: people leave lots of trash out there. I like to bring a trash bag with me to gather up the trash, it's a nice course so if you head out there, please help to keep it clean

my favorite

5+    11/11/2009   11/11/2009
Review By: mc lazer
This review was updated on 4/2/2010
Pros: The gem of Texas is right here in South Austin. You won't find a more beautiful course. The attention to detail like all the stone paths and benches is amazing for a disc golf course and sets a new standard for what we want our courses to be. All around great course plus it's clean and well maintained. Uphill tunnel shots, downhill tunnels, finesse, crusher opportunies, flat holes, hilly elevation holes, across the creek, over the trees. Circle C has it all. Hole 12 pro box is one of my personal favorites, if you have some D you got the backdoor from the hilltop over the trees all the way to the fairway for a chance to eagle. Benches at every tee and trashcans at good intervals throughout. Every shot imaginable can be played here. Wet or dry, hot or cold the course is totally playable. None of the holes are so hard it ruins the game and the elevation changes aren't bad enough to make it a hike. Simply prime design on prime real estate that's why it's my favorite, gotta love it!
Cons: The timbers surrounding the tee boxes need to go. They're a trip hazard, and allow for no run up behind the box which cripples many players form and why there will not be an A tier event on any course that has them.
Other Thoughts: If it has rained the creek crossing after 12 is about 100 feet upstream from the basket, follow the trail along the creek to where big rocks and logs make stepping stones unless the water's real high. In that case walk to the road and cross the bridge.

Best I've Played

1    0/0/0000   10/6/2009
Review By: chalos13
This review was updated on 10/22/2009
Pros: This course has lots of long shots, some open some through the trees. Benches or giant blocks on almost every hole. Good signage.
Cons: Very crowded on the weekends, on the 3rd or 4th hole we were the 2nd group in line, with 2 more behind us. We went on a weekend right after the course had re-opened, so this could be better now. We went in June, that's our mistake. The Austin heat is freaking terrible, take gatoraide for sure.
Other Thoughts: locals were friendly and helpful, great course overall. Saw a snake or two, watch your step.

WOW!

1    9/14/2009   9/14/2009
Review By: drgnslyr221
Pros: Great layout through various types of geography (rocky,creeks,plains,woods and hills).Some very strong holes and the whole place had the feel off a pay to play course.

Tees 5 stars:Incredible tees what can I say besides they reminded me of ball golf tees.

Layout 4 stars:Great layout overall.A few holes just felt out of place (6,10,16 and 17).They just seemed forced IMO.My fav holes are
1.Just a great starting hole.The fairway is plenty wide to work out the rust but challenging enough to keep you honest,don't go left.

4.The "luck" path is blocked by a collection of rocks which makes this a fun little hole but a challenge to get close.I'm looking forward to finding the secret to this hole.

8.fantastic hole that just dares you to toy with the left side.Beware though there are bogeys in those woods.

11.I'm a little partial as I made a 150 foot lazer hyzer on this hole.I zipped it right around the big tree in front of the hole.

15.The only other hole I birdied.Great hole for side arm and lefties requiring a deft touch.

18.This is a monster that will test your nerve but leave you satisfied.A none stop left turner that will test your long distance accuracy.Could possibly be the best 18th hole in Texas.
Cons: There really isn't a lot of things bad to say about CircleC.For first timers it might be hard to find the course.Just go to the second parking lot to the right and you'll see the practice baskets.

Like I mentioned earlier some of the holes feel forced or out of place but in no way would I say they suck.
Other Thoughts: I played the day after a wet week for Austin and while it was muddy there was no playability issues which is something hard to find in disc golf.

1    9/8/2009   9/10/2009
Review By: austin aero
Pros: Love the tee signs and wide tee pads. The large block benchs are a great idea. They fit into the feel of the terrain and no maintence. The new design gets out further into the woods. I like getting away from the park and the feel of being out in the country.
Cons: The limestone rocks are pretty rough on the ankles in some areas--but then welcome to the Texas hill country.
Is it my imagination or is the basket on #9 high?
Other Thoughts: First time I've played this course in several years. I miss some of the old holes but it is a better, more challenging course. This was one of my favorite courses and with the new setup, I think it may go to the top of the list.