Austin, TX
Circle C Metro Park @ Slaughter Creek Share
Uploaded By: Bevo Hole #9 (Taken 5/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

1    6/23/2015   6/23/2015
Review By: Tailwind
Pros: Beautiful and challenging course. Lots of variety. Plays well for both lefty and righties. Because of the difficulty it is a lot less crowded than most of Austin's courses. Bring out your long bombs.
Cons: Be prepared to walk as much from hole to tee as you will on the course. Not sure if it is Austin or the course rating that brings out the worst in disk golfers. I have been here 5 times now and the players I have encountered are a bit on the serious side and not as friendly as other places. Parking can be tough, this is a busy park.
Other Thoughts: Bring Water

Getting slaughtered was fun!

1    6/1/2014   6/1/2015
Review By: waterhyzerd
Pros: Very nice multi-use park but the course area is mostly DG exclusive.

Shot variety was plentiful. It has distance, left, right, up and down. I was an out-of-towner so I only had about 10 different discs on me- pretty sure I used all of them.

Hole 18. From my one time playing it, I gather it took a technical first shot, followed by a huge righty hyzer over the top to put you in front of or right behind the creek, and then a putt for a 4 if you're lucky. Definitely the top signature hole here.

Dual teepads, adequate trashcans and navigation, and discatchers in good repair.
Cons: As mentioned previously, the footing was well affected by a little rain and some nasty clay/ mud. After a while, the teepads seemed to lack available real estate on the sides for scraping mud off of our shoes.
Other Thoughts: The terrain seemed on the rugged side which was a plus. I appreciate courses that blur the line between playing disc golf and going for a legitimate hike; circle c gave me that feeling. Coming from Michigan where we seem to have our fair share of quality courses, I would rank this one easily in our top five as well.

Circle C Review

2-4    1/17/2015   1/21/2015
Review By: Pa3Money
Pros: I thought that this course was great. I came to the course having no idea what it would be like. After I played it it instantly became my favorite course. I was very scenic shots with a variety of technical and less technical lines. It had very good variety in hole length as well as design. It was all in all a great course.
Cons: The only bad things that I could think of were that for beginners it can get confusing to find you way around. It can also get a little bit muddy.
Other Thoughts: This course really lives up to its high ranking.

Definitely Shows its worth

1    1/4/2015   1/8/2015
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: Being rated fourth in the State of Texas behind the two courses at Selah Ranch and Shawshank, this course had a lot of expectations to live up to, and it did just that. The course features two set of tees with big concrete pads. DisCatchers are the premier baskets in my opinion, and Circle C had 18 of them and were all in good shape.

The course had a huge variety of holes from short technical shots that throw up and down hills to long par 4s and par 5s. You can tell from playing the course that this is a Houck designed course because of the length of the course. Since it is a Houck designed course, there are fair landing zones off the tee on all of the longer holes. This is a course that will challenge you in every aspect from the first hole to the last hole.

I really enjoyed the holes 7-10. They were par 3s but all different. Hole 8 is a blind shot downhill, very challenging but if you can get it, it feels great. Hole 9 and 10 play up a hill and then back down it on the next hole.

Like mentioned in previous reviews, hole 18 is the premier hole on the course. It's a horeshoe type hole that ends throwing over a ravine. A four would be a great score on this hole.
Cons: Like most courses in Central, Texas, a little bit of rain can really make playing the course hard. The mud is they type of mud that cakes to the bottom of your shoes, making for slippery drives and muddy discs.

The transition from hole 12 to hole 13 is not obvious at all. This definitely was the worst of the few navigation problems that this course has.

When I went to play, it was in the 30s and rainy. The few locals mentioned that we got there at a good time, as on a nice day, you will have to wait on each hole because the course gets crowded since it is the premier course in the area.
Other Thoughts: This is a fantastic course that I enjoyed every second of playing, even if it was muddy. In my opinion, I do not feel this is the fourth best course in Texas. I think I have a preference of McClain Park in San Antonio over Circle C, but this really was a fantastic course.

This seems like one of those courses that gets easier and more fun to play the more you play it. You get to know the lines off the tee better and it becomes more enjoyable. I would play this course frequently if I lived in the Greater Austin area.

Worth the drive

2-4    11/23/2014   11/25/2014
Review By: mattrowe
Pros: This is a challenging course for experienced golfers. The scenery is beautiful, and the course rewards you for staying on the fairway. I haven't played many Austin courses, but the locals consider this one of the best in town. There is a wide array of tee shots, and the course is easy to navigate.
Cons: There are a lot of holes that are reachable with a putter, and there are a handful of "bomber" holes... There aren't many 350-ish holes where a well-placed fairway driver rewards you with a drop-in birdie (which is my favorite type of hole). I feel like I threw either putters or distance drivers here, not too many midranges or fairway drivers.
Other Thoughts: Don't bring a beginner here for his/her first round. Do bring water! You'll do a bit more walking/hiking here compared to most courses.

The 18th hole is super long challenging, and a difficult par 5. If you need a birdie on 18 to beat your buddies (or set a personal best), you'll need 4 perfect shots. It's probably a little easier to make up a throw by being aggressive on 17.

Does it get much better?

5+    9/11/2014   9/12/2014
Review By: lynxonyx
Pros: Beautiful course for intermediate to expert players. Pro distance and amateur tee boxes that are well maintained. Nice variety of shots with 6 par 4s and 2 par 5s. You will use every disc in your bag on a typical day here.
Cons: Some of the tee signs are missing and navigating the course the first few times can be confusing on certain holes. The yelling of soccer matches can be a bit of a distraction. Easy to turn an ankle here due to the many loose rocks that make up much of the terrain (especially when looking around for your disc).
Other Thoughts: The course seems to progressively get more difficult as it goes. The pinnacle of this difficulty is the super long horseshoe shaped 18th hole that will make or break your round (I'm happy when I par it).

Stand out holes are: Hole 1 - nice par 4 that is easy to birdie with good disc placement. Hole 5 - big par 5 with a dog leg to the right and elevated green. Hole 6 - par 4 with a really tough tee shot through a thick grove of trees. Hole 9 - a tremendous uphill shot through a narrow tunnel of trees. Hole 12 - long par 4 with a huge tree in the fairway.

Bring water and "A" game

5+    3/14/2015   7/17/2014
Review By: SigLane
This review was updated on 3/16/2015
Pros: Update (3/16/2015): Course is in great condition for the spring. Only a couple of muddy spots on the trail that are easy to avoid. The water is running in the creek making it a beautiful place to play. Thanks to the nice weather the course traffic has increased. Have fun :) (Older post that's still relevant): Lived in Circle C Ranch for years so this is the course I've grown up on. This course taught me how to play. The shot selections are critical and good judgement with high accuracy are key. This course can eat your lunch on some holes so stay focused. Detailed tee markers and dual tees are great. Trash cans at most holes or at least every other hole. Two warm-up putting areas before hole one is a nice touch especially with wide open soccer fields right next to them so you can warm up your drives as well. Distance varies from shorter, accuracy minded holes to long "grip it and rip it" par 4's and 5's. If you're doing well out here chances are you're ready for any course around. They have continued to maintain this course consistently over the last 15 years. That is a real commitment and the course shows it. If you're up for a challenging trek through the rocky wooded hills and the long semi-open (hot) fields then this is a course worth trying. As stated, hole 18 is a great way to end a round. Super challenging and super creative. Whomever put together this hole deserves a pat on the back. Now go play this course already!!
Cons: Update (3/16/2015): This course still needs a couple of standalone directional markings to assist in trail identification. Had to help a few groups navigate the transitions between a couple of different holes. Not their fault. Deer trails and natural water run off areas look like paths to follow. Also wanted to mention the addition of an extra trash can or two would be greatly appreciated. (Older post that's still relevant): Texas heat will take it's toll on you so bring water. There is a lot of rocky hiking through the front 9. As stated, a couple of spots can cause you to get disoriented when trying to find the next hole but just follow your instincts and you'll get there. Otherwise was great.
Other Thoughts: Play this course. It's worth your time and effort. Warm up at the beautiful soccer fields and nice putting area under the oak trees. Bring plenty of water and stable shoes. Have fun with the short hole, long hole, short hole flip flopping. Keeps you're arm from being blown out in 4 long holes in a row. Can't wait for you to see the final approach to 18. So cool.

Beautiful, Well-Maintained

1    3/24/2014   5/28/2014
Review By: Michler
Pros: First-off, this course is extremely well-maintained down to the small details. It's in an enormous, multi-use park in what appeared to be a pretty nice suburb of Austin. There are 2 sets of generously sized cement tee-pads for all of the longer holes. The tees are nicely framed to prevent erosion. Walking paths are fairly easy to follow though the wooded portions of the course.

Approximately 50% of the course consists of reachable Par 3 holes that demand accurate shots through tight fairways. There are also several legitimate Par 4 and Par 5 holes that require both distance and placement. For the most part, I would describe these longer holes as fairly open, but still requiring a great deal of accuracy in your shot placement. There are plenty of trees and obstacles in play, but also room to work a variety of shot types. Both distance and accuracy are needed to score well.

Hole 18 is the signature hole!! Tight tee-shot to a wide open area. Then the approach to the pin is through a tunnel and over a ravine. Hole looks awesome and plays even better!!

The course is challenging, but also makes for a very fun round of golf. Not a lot of underbrush on the wooded holes, so losing discs is not much of an issue. Tee signs with the hole-maps are great!
Cons: As I was playing here for the first time, course routing was a bit of an issue in a couple spots. Some signage pointing to the next hole would be appreciated.

The terrain is a bit rocky in some areas, with Hole 1 probably being the worst. Not a big issue in my opinion, but perhaps worth mentioning as a few fairways are less than ideal.
Other Thoughts: Played without a map. Only got confused for any significant period of time in 1 spot. Would recommend bringing a map if playing blind though.

So good

1    5/9/2014   5/12/2014
Review By: slamminsammy
Pros: As almost every review says, this course is awesome! So many different types of holes that are all a challenge. Truly a top notch course that anyone who remotely likes disc golf will enjoy.

I am not an especially good at disc golf (I shot a +14 here) but I still had an absolute blast here so don't be intimidated by the difficulty, it's still fun!

Well maintained course. There was very little trash in the trees lining each hole and lots of trash cans. Also the tee pads are kept very nice and each has a bench to take a quick break on.
Cons: Long course with lots of walking. Not really a con, but something to be ready for when you go. Took me and a friend 2+ hours to play it and our legs were definitely tired after.
Other Thoughts: If your skill level isn't high, don't be scared to use the front tees. I started off using the back tees, but had a much better time when I moved to the front tees after the first couple holes.

Bring water and maybe a snack. Course is long and takes a while to play, don't want to be caught thirsty out there.

This course is a must if you are going to be in the Austin area, or anywhere in Texas for that matter. You will be challenged but have a lot of fun.

On the Ranch

1    5/3/2014   5/8/2014
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - Tons of variety in not only forcing you to use different shots but over varying lengths that go from short and technical to long bombs. I really liked how the course would give you a monster hole then a few shorter par 3's before sending you back to another fantastic par 4/5.

The strength of this course which has many is definitely the par 4/5's. Some of the absolute best holes I've ever played are on this course, not only from a technical standpoint but from a pure fun factor.

I really liked how the course sets up for varying skill levels. There are two pads on most holes and on the shorter par 3's the long pad doesn't usually add all that much distance but puts the pad in a place where your shot requires more skill going through an early gap or cutting an angle harder.

Also, on the long holes the obstacles range out for people of varying distances. The guy I played with had a shorter arm and was having to manage early gaps and turns while I was worrying about making a corner 400'+ and landing not in the super thick rough.

Adding on to that last part there is a good amount of risk/reward here. If you do try and stretch one out to far and get offline the rough is punishing and can force a lot of simple pitch outs. Trying to throw on to greens from distance is difficult here as well due to all the rocks and skips that can happen.

Really well designed green areas is another plus. It seems the basket was always tucked in a really nice spot to make you think about your approach or where you need to be to approach on the longer holes. I liked how in some places the basket would sit near the treeline in a place where you might easily skip in there if you're not careful how you're landing.

There's a bit of elevation change throughout the course, no big ups or downs but a few holes used it well to create difficulty.

I don't usually use this area of the review to mention holes but 18 is seriously amazing. Your drive requires power and accuracy and then from there on it's anybodies guess to how you'll play the hole. You can throw it up the shoot or try the big hyzer over the top. Wish I could play that hole all the time.

Equipment - Nice concrete pads that are framed in. Houck teesigns which in my opinion are some of the best. Baskets seemed in okay shape, not the best or worst.

There's practice baskets at the beginning along with a bathroom and water fountain.

Atmosphere - It's beautiful in it's own right. I haven't been to this part of the country a lot so I really enjoyed the Texas ranch vibe, felt like I was playing in a western movie.

The locals have done a nice job adding stonework to parts of the course to give it some character. I ended up meeting a local and getting a great guide for the round as well, everyone I met in Austin seemed to be really nice people.
Cons: Layout - Not to many cons really but some of the par 3's were a bit lacking in technicality and length. Overall the course isn't all that technical which isn't really a bad thing because it allows play from a wider variety of players; although if you come here looking for the ultimate challenge it isn't really that.

Some of the transitions were longer and I did have to stop and wait for my guide to show me where to go next. (although I'll add I wasn't paying attention to the next tee markers on the tee signs due to having a guide)

The course has some elevation but it's still relatively flat compared to some of the courses I play on the east coast.

Equipment - Some of the teesigns were missing when I was there.

Atmosphere - Even for a hot day the course was packed when I was there and I got stuck behind a big group which made the round even longer. You can not blame people for wanting to come here but keep that in mind if you want to come in and play from out of town.

It's dry and super rocky here, again not something I'm used to and you can only build on what you have so I don't blame the course at all. Just remember bring water and think twice before throwing base plastic here.
Other Thoughts: I love this course and it's clear most of the people in Austin do as well. If you want to play some true par 5's this course has them. I really wish I had just one course near me like Circle C.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7