Austin, TX
Circle C Metro Park @ Slaughter Creek Share
Uploaded By: Bevo Hole #7 (Taken 5/2009)

Worth the drive

1    12/11/2009   12/12/2009
Review By: vaderdave
Pros: A true testament to a course is for an "out of Towner" to show up and enjoy themselves, on the course. This is what I did, I drove 60 miles showed up with no course map or score card. This course is so easy to follow it's unbelievable, great signage and very easy trails to follow. I loved the use of rocks to make drainage paths, and the lined trails. This disc golf course is great; I really enjoyed the elevation change, and the use of wood chops in the landing area in the fairway, and around some of the baskets. The approach shot on 18 is something to behold, an up hill shot across the creek, to an elevated basket.
Cons: On 18 the before mention creek must be crossed by "tight rope walking" across a log that has been laid in the creek. Leaving the 12th basket the path crosses the creek, but on this day the creek was five ft. deep, and 20 ft wide. It took me about five minutes to walk around this flooded creek. Not all baskets are regulation in height
Other Thoughts: A lot of work has gone into this course, and the locals should be proud of what they have. I enjoyed playing circle c. It was worth the drive.

awesome course

5+    11/11/2009   11/12/2009
Review By: Rocco
Pros: challenging yet fun, well maintained, very scenic, peaceful and great concrete tee off areas. also has clear, informative signs
Cons: sometimes the course get a little backed up, especially on weekends. night golf very challenging because of the course layout.
Other Thoughts: people leave lots of trash out there. I like to bring a trash bag with me to gather up the trash, it's a nice course so if you head out there, please help to keep it clean

my favorite

5+    11/11/2009   11/11/2009
Review By: mc lazer
This review was updated on 4/2/2010
Pros: The gem of Texas is right here in South Austin. You won't find a more beautiful course. The attention to detail like all the stone paths and benches is amazing for a disc golf course and sets a new standard for what we want our courses to be. All around great course plus it's clean and well maintained. Uphill tunnel shots, downhill tunnels, finesse, crusher opportunies, flat holes, hilly elevation holes, across the creek, over the trees. Circle C has it all. Hole 12 pro box is one of my personal favorites, if you have some D you got the backdoor from the hilltop over the trees all the way to the fairway for a chance to eagle. Benches at every tee and trashcans at good intervals throughout. Every shot imaginable can be played here. Wet or dry, hot or cold the course is totally playable. None of the holes are so hard it ruins the game and the elevation changes aren't bad enough to make it a hike. Simply prime design on prime real estate that's why it's my favorite, gotta love it!
Cons: The timbers surrounding the tee boxes need to go. They're a trip hazard, and allow for no run up behind the box which cripples many players form and why there will not be an A tier event on any course that has them.
Other Thoughts: If it has rained the creek crossing after 12 is about 100 feet upstream from the basket, follow the trail along the creek to where big rocks and logs make stepping stones unless the water's real high. In that case walk to the road and cross the bridge.

Best I've Played

1    0/0/0000   10/6/2009
Review By: chalos13
This review was updated on 10/22/2009
Pros: This course has lots of long shots, some open some through the trees. Benches or giant blocks on almost every hole. Good signage.
Cons: Very crowded on the weekends, on the 3rd or 4th hole we were the 2nd group in line, with 2 more behind us. We went on a weekend right after the course had re-opened, so this could be better now. We went in June, that's our mistake. The Austin heat is freaking terrible, take gatoraide for sure.
Other Thoughts: locals were friendly and helpful, great course overall. Saw a snake or two, watch your step.

WOW!

1    9/14/2009   9/14/2009
Review By: drgnslyr221
Pros: Great layout through various types of geography (rocky,creeks,plains,woods and hills).Some very strong holes and the whole place had the feel off a pay to play course.

Tees 5 stars:Incredible tees what can I say besides they reminded me of ball golf tees.

Layout 4 stars:Great layout overall.A few holes just felt out of place (6,10,16 and 17).They just seemed forced IMO.My fav holes are
1.Just a great starting hole.The fairway is plenty wide to work out the rust but challenging enough to keep you honest,don't go left.

4.The "luck" path is blocked by a collection of rocks which makes this a fun little hole but a challenge to get close.I'm looking forward to finding the secret to this hole.

8.fantastic hole that just dares you to toy with the left side.Beware though there are bogeys in those woods.

11.I'm a little partial as I made a 150 foot lazer hyzer on this hole.I zipped it right around the big tree in front of the hole.

15.The only other hole I birdied.Great hole for side arm and lefties requiring a deft touch.

18.This is a monster that will test your nerve but leave you satisfied.A none stop left turner that will test your long distance accuracy.Could possibly be the best 18th hole in Texas.
Cons: There really isn't a lot of things bad to say about CircleC.For first timers it might be hard to find the course.Just go to the second parking lot to the right and you'll see the practice baskets.

Like I mentioned earlier some of the holes feel forced or out of place but in no way would I say they suck.
Other Thoughts: I played the day after a wet week for Austin and while it was muddy there was no playability issues which is something hard to find in disc golf.

1    9/8/2009   9/10/2009
Review By: austin aero
Pros: Love the tee signs and wide tee pads. The large block benchs are a great idea. They fit into the feel of the terrain and no maintence. The new design gets out further into the woods. I like getting away from the park and the feel of being out in the country.
Cons: The limestone rocks are pretty rough on the ankles in some areas--but then welcome to the Texas hill country.
Is it my imagination or is the basket on #9 high?
Other Thoughts: First time I've played this course in several years. I miss some of the old holes but it is a better, more challenging course. This was one of my favorite courses and with the new setup, I think it may go to the top of the list.

5+    8/18/2009   8/24/2009
Review By: milow369
Pros: Circle C earns a solid 4.5 because it is phenomenal. Things that would be required to earn a perfect 5.

1) Couple baskets need to be re-set to meet PDGA regulations. At least one basket is high and one basket is low off the top of my head

2) A/B/C holes - There is plenty of room to add additional holes. I personally appreciate the ability for a course to change. Also nice for large tournaments and future maintenance..

3) Multiple basket locations - Lots of opportunity for multiple placements on this course. I also like the ability for holes to change up, i.e., long placements for summer and shorts for when the days get shorter, etc. Also nice to be able to change up holes for tournaments.

Nice park facilities, bathroom, tap water, plenty of parking, restaurants nearby. Course looks great despite being a young course (new layout) Will look better once it grows in.
Cons: 1) Despite some really nice trash cans (3 cans as a unit about every 3 holes or so) there's too much trash for such a young course. I realize that's just part of disc golf but I would like to see a can at every teebox.

2) Some baskets not set to correct heights - as mentioned.

3) Good deal of sun exposure. Crowds can make for slow play.

4) Lots of pedestrians that don't always stay to the paths or aren't concerned about it. You could get the guy walking his dog down the middle of a fairway, clueless that it's a dg course.
Other Thoughts: Anyone who plans a dg trip to Austin will have this course on their list, the hype is well warranted. I though Mike Olse hit a homerun with Manor (East Metro Park - also worth playing) but he hit it out of the park at Circle C. Many of the transitions between the holes are artfully done. Lots of really nice rock work and drainage and just small details. Plenty of mulch in the fairways. Well marked holes/paths. Nice flow to a really difficult and challenging but rewarding course. Even if this course kicks your butt your game will improve. Figuring out the holes, what to throw and how to throw it is all something that I look forward to learning over time.

I will just key on some things that may not be covered in other glowing reviews.

Adjacent soccer field is perfect for stretching out the arm, finding your drive, etc. Trust me you'll need it.

Bathrooms located near the path to the practice baskets/parking lot.

Since the initial rush to play since the renovation, the crowd isn't quite as bad as it used to be. The heat could have something to do with that. To avoid the crowd you may have to play when it's hot or when it's really early but it's worth it. The course offers a decent amount of shade but you will get your share of sun playing this course. Bring lots of water to stay hydrated. The only course that I've ever found with people on 1 before me and it was 6:40am.

Circle C takes about 1.5 hours to play from the champ tees, casual round. Probably the same from the am tees. Tournaments can take 3-4 hours depending on the crowd. I personally like the lines better from the champ tees but to each his own. Par 64 seems to be about right on for this course. Some insane par 5s, some tough par 4s, some fun par 3s. Spacious teeboxes, easy to read and accurate signage.

Think cedars, oaks, limestone and fields. Some shots over the trees, some under the trees, uphill, downhill, left, right, long, short it's got it all. A sure to be championship course for years to come. No water hazards to worry about for the time being.

Many players will devote a round here and there to picking up trash. This is not an organized activity, it's just something that frankly, the level of quality and beauty of this course brings out in people. This is a special course and will surely pull down some big PDGA events. I am glad it's in central Texas near my home. Please pack your trash folks and enjoy this gem!

Gotta Play!

1    8/12/2009   8/12/2009
Review By: HRPufinstuf
Pros: Hole design, variety of shots needed, professional feel, T signs / boxes, overall experience
Cons: ummm - the heat? a bit more righty friendly holes than lefty -(guess what I am). Wear sturdy shoes with good ankle support - some rocky fairways to navigate. nothing bad really - just things to note.
Other Thoughts: Not that I have played that many courses but I have never played a course that was this well maintained, supported etc.. so many other courses in parks make you feel like you are the second or third option for the use of the space (if that high up the priority list) - but this place feels like it was put together for disc golf and the rest revolves around it. Wow - it just has such a quality to every thing about it. The holes are quite diverse in length, design, flight paths and elevation - (for Texas anyway). I was in the area for my son's graduation from basic training in San Antonio and arrived early to check out the scene in Austin ( music, food, disc golf). I played Pease Park one day and enjoyed it alot - very fun city course. Stopped by the Disc Nation disc golf store, picked up a few discs, threw a few on their practice range (you can throw all you want) and got some tips from one of the Pro's there (forgot his name, but very nice guy - rookie of the year last year) and then asked which course I "must" play - I had researched all the courses in the area listed here and he steered me toward Circle C - saying it had just been renovated. The work put into this place blew me away. Pro and Am tees on every hole - concrete pads, each tee had a T sign with relative distances (for Pro and Am). Well worn paths from hole to hole - may "groomed" and landscaped - with steps, retaining timbers, etc.... There are several ace run holes with tight lines, and several par 4-5 holes that snake around. There always seems to be one big oak that you have to contend with on even the most open holes. Most fairways are tight and not quite straight - so be sure you have a good selection of over and understable discs for different distances. The guy I played with was pretty successful with monster tomahawks (he had the shoulder for it) and I even threw a couple - which i rarely do. Despite the requirement for accuracy - I don't see a high risk of lost discs - the "rough" tends to knock things down pretty fast. But if you do go deep off the fairway -plan on playing it safe and getting back into the fairway anyway you can.

I absolutely loved this course - and my home course is #3 rated Beaver Ranch (on this site) - I would take any excuse to get back down here to play it again.

Lots to Love!

1    8/8/2009   8/11/2009
Review By: sam_puck
Pros: Very clean park. Facilities and trash cans everywhere. Easy to navigate, big concrete tee boxes. Signs at both tee boxes. Bark mulch in fairways and around baskets. Baskets in great shape. Logs outlining various parts of the course.
Cons: Got a little congested in the middle holes, because of big groups. Pretty crowded on the weekend. A few tee boxes have very little or no shade.
Other Thoughts: Overall, its hard to say anything but praise for this course. The scenery is awesome and I love the variety of holes and elevation. Hard course, but I will definitely be back!

The Pinnacle of Hill Country Golf

2-4    8/2/2009   8/4/2009
Review By: srm_520
This review was updated on 3/28/2010
Pros: Circle C Metro Park at Slaughter Creek has undergone some major changes in the last year. It has all the basic amenities located in a community park with bathroom facilities and ample parking. The flow is good with a few minor scenery filled walks between holes. It has also become a serious disc golf course that will challenge any skill level and force you to use a variety of shots and become a become player.

There are even various wood structures reminiscent of Indian burial grounds throughout the course making me think some of the workers were higher than others. They're unnecessary, but still a fun addition to the rustic scenery.

In what will certainly be known as one of the most challenging and audacious finishing holes in all of disc golf, hole #18 is an 888' par 5 that separates the weak from the strong. As if symbolically engraining the course name in your brain, hole #18 plays out in a giant C that takes three good shots for most players just to get a look at the pin in the final 275' that could be a challenging hole by itself. The final 75' caps off in a rising tiered putting area guarded on three sides by trees, and in front a creek bed that could certainly be an issue in non-drought years. This intense hole will break ties, patience, and your stamina. Harry Myers #3 is the only possible comparison I can make to this juggernaut, so be prepared after a long round in the hot Austin hot to love or hate it - or maybe a bit of both.

BEST HOLE/S: #18
Cons: Circle C, in my opinion, has one obvious con that may not be an issue to most recreational players - but drove me crazy. A number of pins are set noticeably high and are not placed to any PDGA height guidelines. I think what makes this worse it the simple fact that thousands of man hours have gone into revamping this course into one of the premier courses in the state, and yet something so simple and easy to fix is the most glaring negative. In fact, this is the only reason in my book not to award this course with a perfect five discs, but it certainly comes close.

WORST HOLE/S: #13
Other Thoughts: If God is in the details, some divine intervention surely occurred in the revamping of Circle C. Holes come complete with Texas Limestone seating areas, mulched and groomed fairways, high quality Houck signs, and long concrete tees encased in mulch and log ties to help prevent erosion. From the practice on, the over-whelming thought is how much time, labor, and love has been poured into this course.

People will surely argue this, but I believe this has become the best public course in the greater Austin area, and even at the state level; so any golfer owes it themself to make the pilgrimage. Sure, Pease Park is more popular and East Metro is outstanding, but Circle C is simply better.