Salisbury , NC
Catawba College Share
Uploaded By: prerube Hole #8 (Taken 8/2012)

Catawba College. The smoke stack says it all.

1    7/6/2014   7/9/2014
Review By: heelboycraig
Pros: Catawba College's nine hole course is really a campus tour in disguise. With baskets weaving throughout the grounds, you get to see everything the college has to offer.
- This is a very simple, yet somewhat enjoyable course. My round was a relaxing, two-disc carrying walk through this historical college, taking in the sights and sounds of the school. My enjoyment may have had a lot to do with the fact I was playing on a summer Sunday afternoon, when the college was virtually empty.
- The course has a little variety. In terms of length, your basically playing the same shot as there is very variance in length. Holes range from 155 to 265 feet. The only hole that actually played long, relatively speaking, was #8, which is a slight uphill, 260 foot hole. The sight says hole distances are estimates, and I'd venture to guess this hole is closer to 300 feet. Also, because the distances are estimated, I'll point out that #6 felt much longer than 180 feet, and #9 felt much shorter than 265. I'd say each is closer to 225 feet than the listed estimates on this site.
- Perhaps what is most intriguing about this course is the safari golf/'create your own hole' potential. The holes are spaced far apart, with lots of grassy areas throughout the quad. On a quiet day, you could easily turn this into a challenging and fun 9-hole layout.
- As is, the current layout will yield plenty of birdies. As long as you can control a mid-range disc, you'll be seeing birdie putts. During my round, I birdied or had birdie chances on seven of the nine holes. Only hitting a branch on #7 and having the distance on #8 underestimated (didn't have a disc to throw on this hole) kept me from having birdie chances on every hole.
- This is a good course for beginners and casual players. Once the college players master this course, they can head down 52 to Goose Landing and Fox Chase or head down 85 to Charlotte.
- The scenery did make this course more enjoyable than should be. There's something enjoyable and relaxing, and small town, about a small college campus. As great as the views of the classical buildings and the football stadium were, the coolest visual is the tall smoke stack. I haven't seen that on a college campus before.
Cons: A couple simple cons about this place.
- It's not challenging, especially for better players. There is a lot of pitch-n-putt to this course. If you don't like playing short courses on small town college campus…not for you.
-There's a lot of walking and it's not the easiest course to navigate. The tee markers are small pavers (maybe 6x6) in the ground and aren't the easiest to find. Even with a printed map, I still had to walk around the general areas trying to find the markers. And with that walking, there is a lot of it between some holes. Hole #1 starts right next to the main road (Innes St) and you end near the back of the campus, near the football field. I ended up spending a lot more time walking, and searching for tee markers, than I did actually playing. For a short 9-hole course, it's not the quickest to play.
- Course may be hard to play during the school year. Between students, parking availability and possible privacy, I don't know how accessible this course is at all times.
Other Thoughts: This is a simple course. If the exact same course was most to a less appealing locale, I'd probably have enjoyed this round a lot less. Having that long of a walk through a small county park would be a bigger negative in my book than having the same walk here. Or, if I played this course more often, the issues might be more obvious.
- That said, appearances and maintenance do matter. I enjoyed this course a lot more than 18-hole Ellis Park 10 minutes away. That course has so many problems, which you can read in my review for that course, but it's a far better course than this. Due to its failures at Ellis, even though I know that's a better course, I found myself enjoying the round at Catawba more. And yes, I chose to completely ignore Kelsey.
- Nothing at this course that you won't see at just about any other 9-holer. This is another one play if you want to add to your course counter. Or if you're really wanting to knock out the Salisbury trio of courses all at once.

with Kelsey with in walking distance, why bother?

1    8/5/2012   8/6/2012
Review By: prerube
Pros: Brand New baskets.

Some interesting lines and attractive landscaping.

Great place to practice putting or for a weekend round if you live near by.
Cons: Navigational and safety nightmare:
Tee markers are flat on the grown and hidden by the grass making them very hard to find. I never found 2 of them.
Flow is not very good. You must have the map to find the tee areas. Hole 3 you walk back to hole 1, after 7 you walk the length of the hole plus another 100 feet back past the tee to get to 8.
Throws over roads, walkways, at buildings and parking lots.
Hole 3's basket is between benches and a parking area, both only 20 feet away. 5 throws at parking lot and sidewalk, 6 throws across road at stadium, 7's tee is just 20 feet from basket 6, 9 is the are you F'ing serious hole, it throws over the walkway and stairs to Ketner Hall towards giant glass windows and doors.
Other Thoughts: Colored bricks or something sticking up from the grass at the tee areas is 100% necessary. Safety is an issue, hopefully no one gets hit by a disc and gets the course closed down.
I agree with New013, 5 is the best hole and the layout jumps around. The only difference is I found tee 6, but I did not find tee's 1 and 3.

First to review it

1    6/3/2012   6/3/2012
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - The course is built right on a small congested campus, i'm talking right next to buildings, roads and sidewalks. So for a course that is weaving through all of it it's done pretty well.

There's actually two or three decent disc golf shots that will require you to hit a gap, get close and avoid pavement.

The greens were designed quite well for what they had to work with; several are right next to OB and one with a drop off behind it, which will force you to be accurate on your 200' shot.

I don't know if it was on purpose but there was a couple holes where on the tee you don't feel the wind because buildings are blocking it; then when your disc gets close to the hole it gets hit with a gust.. made me not birdie one hole.

It's a cool course to be right on campus in that space, not sure how it works out when there's people in the way. It's good for beginners or just killing some time between classes for the students there.

Equipment - The baskets are new.

Atmosphere - It's a beautiful small campus, very quaint. The grass is lush and the grounds are very well landscaped. I played this course on a Sunday during the summer. I literally only saw one other person on campus and he was playing tennis with himself. It was kind of weird in a ghost town sort of way but great because nobody was in my way.
Cons: Layout - There's maybe two holes over 200'. It's a pitch and putt. It's not like they could of made it any grander. It literally is right through campus next to sidewalks, buildings and roads. Yeah I'm making that a pro and a con. Those boundaries create OB but also tons of danger. I'm not sure what the deal is when school is in session but even with short holes I could see some issues arising. Best to play on the weekend.

Over half of the holes have hardly anything in the way, just wide open short distances. I threw a hyzer on most of the holes.

The layout kind of jumps around a bit as it goes through campus, several times I had to kinda use intuition to find the next hole and then search for the teesign. I never found 6's tee so I made my own from the basketball court.

Equipment - No teepads but they're not needed and would just look ridiculous.. maybe it's a pro?

There are signs to mark where the tee is but they're black with dark red lettering sitting in lush grass and a bit hard to find just walking around, so bring a map... oh wait there isn't one.

Atmosphere - Again, I played with nobody on campus. It could be a pain to play this when there's people moving about but I have no idea how much traffic is on campus.
Other Thoughts: It's a neat little addition to the college I'm sure. If I was a student there I'd enjoy it but there's not much reason to go out of your way to play there.

After throwing most of shots off the tee I went and found a much longer and harder shot and played it. That's definitely not possible unless the campus is dead, but when it is that was a lot of fun.

I gave the course a 1 just because it was fun and a nice campus to have it on. I'd like to be able to justify a higher rating but there's just not much to it and it's great for what it is. I'm sure if somebody shows up to play this with commotion about their rating will be lower.

Best Holes -

#5 - It's a short downhiller with some guardian trees, fun and great looking hole.

#7 - Probably the hardest shot you'll encounter, you'll actually need to be accurate to deuce.

I'm going to make a crude map using Google Earth to help the rest of you out.