Austin, TX
Roy G. Guerrero DGC Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #3 (Taken 6/2012)
Hole #3 Short Tee

Roy Tree Guerrero

5+    4/19/2014   4/21/2014
Review By: discgolfATX
Pros: Very well rounded course. Nice challenge of backhand and forehand shots.
It's newer so it has the new amenities (signs, tee boxes)
Easy to navigate you're not scratching your head to find the
next tee.
Blue/red separate tees.
They've improved since it's unveiling. They cleared up the bamboo on hole 15/16 I forget.
Every now and then you see some awesome wildlife. (Deer snake squirrels lizards)
Hole 7 is postcard worthy! SO beautiful.
Cons: The rough can have knee high grass or dead brush making it hard to find discs. I lost a yellow pfn Star Sidewinder on my 2nd throw on hole 1.
Not really a con but some holes are pretty lengthy.
It's pretty wooded. Beats up discs.
Other Thoughts: Bring lots of water and avoid the rough.

Wooded and Long

1    12/18/2012   12/20/2012
Review By: C-Van
Pros: -Great level of difficulty at this course, really challenges you to make plenty of different types of throws.
-Very long course, which I see as a pro. This means you don't have very many holes or fairways overlapping and you get to see more of the park. This also leads to less crowding
-If you like wooded courses, you have to play here. Personally I am a huge fan, so naturally that increased my level of enjoyment here.
-A couple of holes with long straight fairways, allowing you to absolutely rip your disc.
Cons: -A lot of the holes are very similar, I honestly thought that holes 12-16 were the same hole repeated 5 times.
-Lack of trash cans around the course, but I'm sure that should improve over time.
-Hard to find this course due to lack of signage at the parking lot in the beginning.
-Other than trees, there aren't really any obstacles. No water traps, elevation changes, etc.
-Right next to an actual golf course for about two holes, I almost got hit by an errant golf ball on hole 8 I believe.
Other Thoughts: Great course overall, but I don't think it quite makes up for losing Pease Park, which is what I believe the goal essentially was. Hole 17 is beautiful, as it overlooks the city of Austin across the lake. With a little more work on the signage in the parking lot and a few more trash cans placed around the course I would be willing to bump up this rating by about half a point.

LONG AND TOUGH!

1    10/10/2012   10/10/2012
Review By: bleds
Pros: Nice layout
Well Groomed
Great signage on the course
Nice long walk along Austin's Colorado river bottom.
Cons: Hard to find. No signage in the park directing you to the parking adjacent to the first tee
Couldn't find a course map anywhere online
No warmup space or basket.
LONG, LONG, LONG
Because of the long yardage, seems like the designer set many of the holes up to favor RHBH throwers. As a LHBH thrower and my friend, a RH side arm thrower, we felt pretty disadvantaged.
Other Thoughts: I like the course itself, but they aren't kidding when they call it a championship level course.
If you can't reliably throw 300ft+ with good accuracy, give this one a miss. It'll just be a slog for you.

New and clean

2-4    6/12/2012   6/19/2012
Review By: nathantrafford
Pros: It is nice and clean and pretty.

It is a very naturally pretty course. If you catch the light at the right times (sunrise and dusk), the shadows created and the way the light plays through the trees is really a treat.

The tee boxes are excellent. The seating is great. The cages have pads which is really awesome. The attention to detail here is very noticeable.

As far as playability, this course IS fun and IS challenging. To birdie you really need a very deep, very accurate drive. And I don't mean a big bomb over the trees that drops on the fairway. I mean a true drive, straight and low. If you don't have that shot, you will struggle here.

The grass on the fairways is awesome. People seem to be mentioning the woodchips as a con, claiming it's hard to get a foothold, etc. But the woodchips aren't really anywhere that you should be throwing from anyway. If you are in the chips it's because of an inaccurate drive. Don't blame the course for that.

One thing I do like about this course IS the 'rough' areas. If you don't play the o.b. rule, it doesn't mean that you will be climbing through a bunch of thicket and thorns and trying to throw out of a bush. It just means that you will have a very very difficult shot trying to avoid a good amount of tree trunks. It's pretty difficult to lose a disc here (except for 18).

Hole 17 is real pretty. You can see the river and the skyline, and the cage is up on a cool little rock formation.

Cons: It is new, so there are a ton of people playing it right now. It still bothers me that there are giant groups of 8 or more people (usually with kids and strollers etc). If you have a huge group, break it up into 2 or 3 groups, like you would with bowling. It makes everyone happy.

The woodchips. I'm kidding. I like the chips.

Variety. While there IS plenty of variety in shot types and each hole looks a bit different, I ended up feeling as if I was playing every hole the same way without having to think. Every hole was around the same distance. A drive or two, then a midrange or putt. Sounds like a golfcourse, you say. But I miss the danger. There is absolutely no change in elevation, and not even any water hazards. There are no holes (besides 17) where you have to think about your putt (if i miss this shot it could roll down into the creek, should i try and blast my driver up this big hill or lob it up with my midrange, etc etc).

The end of 18 is the only place I would warn about being overgrown and unkempt. Stick to the right/center of this hole for sure.

Once you finish 18 and exit the trees, you will find yourself a a good 200 yards away from your car. Do yourself a favor and park near the exit and walk the hike to hole 1.
Other Thoughts: This course is getting a ton of awesome ratings right now because it is shiny and new, which is expected and honestly deserved because of how clean it is. But what I would suggest is to go play it now (and at an obscure time to beat the mass of people) because once this course has lost it's 'shine', the rating is going to drop.

Don't get me wrong, it is a fun and challenging course for pros and amateurs alike that people will enjoy for a long time. But for my personal taste in course design, there is nowhere near enough variety or risk/reward factor.