0 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: Nicely constructed course with concrete tee boxes and multiple hole locations. At 21 holes, this is still not a terribly long course, but gives some terrain and open/tree lined options for many skill levels. Will play it again, especially with it being the closest local course for me.
Cons: The "bridge" to holes 6-11 is a little treacherous to cross and not get wet. Scorecard mailbox was empty, was glad I had printed out a course map from home before I arrived.
0 of 2 people found this review helpful.
4 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: -Easy to find course if you have GPS on your phone, and easy to find hole 1.
-Park seems to be completely dedicated to Disc Golf.
-Located less than a mile from the main street in Ankeny.
-Good mix of backhand and forehand shots.
-Offers 21 holes
-Nice baskets with hole number on each one.
-Nice elevation on holes 6-11
-Good mix of short, medium, and longer holes.
-Some great chances for ace runs.
-Multiple tee's on some but not all holes and multiple pin placements on each hole.
-A nice creek separates holes 6-11 from the rest.
Cons: -A course map would have been helpful. I threw to the wrong basket a few times.
-The tee signs say the yardage but do not give a map of the hole's layout.
-Seems like a lot of the holes play on top of one another, like they tried to cram as many holes as the could into such a small park.
-I can see flooding being a major problem.
-Have to cross the creek to get to holes 6-11 on a cement bridge that had part of the creek running over it, my shoes got soaked, but I'm glad I crossed because the best holes are 6-11.
Other Thoughts: This course has a lot of potential if it wasn't for flooding problems.
4 of 4 people found this review helpful.
Wet. Is it always wet? I feel like it's always wet.
3 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: - Nice and secluded. Lots of mature trees, and a decent amount of obstacles. #6 - #11 are quite scenic.
- Not used very much for anything other than disc golf, that I can tell. Although there are tons of benches and grills.
- Two pin placements for all the holes. Some provide different looks, others are just longer. Reasonably well done, and thoughtful.
- Porta-john and a shelter on site. Trash cans EVERYWHERE, which is nice.
- #2 has a nice, long pin position that I would like to have played. However, the short pin was in. It probably can only be played in the dry, anyhow.
- #7 has a funky hole layout. It looks weird on paper, and weirder from the tee. It has a straight away, uphill, 150'-175' drive, into a property fence, followed by a 90 degree left turn, followed by another 150' or more to the basket. As dumb as it looked and felt, it actually requires a lot of skill. If you don't hit the layup area, which is probably 30' x 30', then you won't have a good look at the basket, and won't get a 3. Quite challenging.
- #10 is a fun, short, wooded, uphill shot. In the short position, it's a fun but challenging ace hole.
- #15 has a cool looking long pin placement, guarded by two mature trees.
Cons: - As I see other reviews have noted, this course was very wet when I played. It's in a creek basin by the looks of it, so that's not surprising. I had to tip-toe and hop all around the course, and still there was no avoiding getting soaked to the bone.
- The bridge from 5 to 6 (and back from 11 to 12) is really a concrete spillway. It was under water when I played, so I played 6-11 after driving around and parking on the street.
- There really are just too many holes here. It's evident from the re-numbers on 12-21 that the course used to just play on the east side of the creek. 6-11 are a wonderful addition, but that has not remedied how tight the layout is on the east side. Baskets very near tees, fairways that are quite close. Not to mention picnic benches and grills all around.
- Wood pallets and other boards have been put out on the course over places the obviously stay wet a lot of the time. It's a nice gesture, that I appreciate. However, it almost just goes toward making the course feel more janky.
- #15 very much brings the parking lot into play, particularly in the long position.
- #18-#21 feel quite repetitive.
Other Thoughts: - Playing this course when wet is a bear. Obviously, if this is just an infrequent occurrence, then it shouldn't affect the rating. However, between the state of the course, the makeshift bridges, and seeing some reviews on here, it's obvious that it is perhaps more frequent than not.
- I had a good time on a Sunday morning, even though I got quite wet. The course actually took me a long time to play, between taking my time walking around water, and a few navigation issues.
- Only course in Ankeny, and perhaps worth visiting if you're staying in Ankeny. Otherwise there are plenty of other great courses within 15-30 minutes that are much more worth your time.
3 of 3 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 2 Not
Here nor There
Pros: Concrete Pads
Some tricky bakset/holes that require shot planning
Terrain usage on holes 6-11
Scorecards with maps on the back
Cons: The front feels like a jumbled mess from 18-21. My big peeve with them is the backtracking with 19-20-21.
Other Thoughts: Parts of the course I enjoy while other parts I play to get through to the next hole. I have never had a problem with parking, granted I play in the morning to early afternoon.
If more of the area beyond the creek was used for holes lessening the amount on the front. My score would increase 0.5-1.0.
The bridge is a permanent concrete bridge with culvert underneath to allow the water to flow under. After a good rain this can easily be topped and may not allow access to the back holes without driving around to them.
1 of 3 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 3 Not
Pros: Lots of holes. Good variety of holes. Holes in the back woods are pretty fun and technical when you can get across the stream. Lots of fun short holes at the front of the course. Good solid long wholes in the back.
Cons: One of my pros is a con. Lots of holes. It feels like they just stuck a lot holes in after it was already made. Can be kind of confusing. The course doesnt flow as well as it could. Not a big fan of the "bridge" going to the back woods holes. Maybe build an actual bridge so i dont have to walk around in wet shoes for the rest of the round.
0 of 3 people found this review helpful.
4 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: concrete tees. mach 3 baskets. some challenging shot decisions. a good number of trees. has lots of picnic tables to sit. has about 1 trashcan per 2 holes. decent elevation changes for holes 7-11.
Cons: holes are too cramped together. when I played, there was no map/scorecards. a little confusing on where some of the next tees where. sections of holes 6-11 not mowed. dead-fallen tree in front of tee 6. bridge to holes 6-11 impassable-flooded. for the number of trashcans there seemed to be a lot of litter on the ground, ie- beer cans and empty cig packs. recent flooding put a lot of sand on the tees. only found 1 port-a-pot for bathrooms.
Other Thoughts: one of the locals told me that there was a little parking lot on the south side of course to play holes 6-11, since the bridge was flooded. there seemed to be plenty of room on the other side of the river to expand the course. overall was not a bad course to play. even one of the locals playing forgot where one of the next tees where.
4 of 5 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 1 Not
Ankeny's only option
Pros: Concrete boxes with most holes having alternate start. Mach 3 baskets are in good shape. Holes six through eleven opposite the creek are good use of terrain.
Cons: Creek bridge prone to flooding the culverts need to be cleaned out to allow proper water flow. some what over compact course and could be reduced to a standard eighteen holes or expanded to be twenty seven using the new open ground opposite the creek.
Other Thoughts: Have spoken earlier in the year with parks manager and as promised missing basket was replaced on 4th hole, I have also spoken with the Ankeny parks department and they are going to do their best to clear the bridge culverts so it can be crossed again.
3 of 4 people found this review helpful.
2 Helpful / 4 Not
Pros: Concrete tee pads...mach 3 baskets...that's it
Cons: This course has quite a few holes crammed into it. The holes that are across the river are decent, but they are usually unplayable for most of the season.
Other Thoughts: I would skip this one if you have a choice.
2 of 6 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 0 Not
Lots of potential not realized
Pros: Concrete tees. Mach 3 baskets. Lots of trees. Some water.
Cons: Can't get to part of the course when creek is up. A few too many holes for the land. Parking lot comes into play on a hole. Some picnic tables also in play. Persistent standing water after big rains.
Other Thoughts: The course starts out well enough but quickly becomes apparent that there are problems it must overcome before living up to its potential. After holes 1-5, which are fine holes with a decent balance of shot shapes and a variety of distances, you are faced with a bridge to #6 that may or may not be passable depending on the level of the water in the creek. Most of the season of 2008, this part of the course was inaccessible from the rest of the course. If you are able to get across, holes 6-11 are interesting and varied holes that play through the woods and then you walk back across the bridge. The remaining 10 holes would be better suited as 7 holes to make it an 18 hole course instead of 21. There are just too many holes packed into that remaining piece of ground, yielding some uninspired holes that could be a lot better considering the potential of the terrain.
3 of 3 people found this review helpful.
2 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: Good variety of holes, good use of land, nice shelter, back side of course over creek has good, wooded holes, course maps provided.
Cons: Gets flooed after rain, plays a bit too short in the shorter pins, confusing layout.
Other Thoughts: The back side is under construction. Hopefully the "bridge" will be useable after it's done.
2 of 4 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.