Kings Mountain, NC
Kings Mountain High School Share
Uploaded By: bhadella Hole #1 (Taken 11/2012)
Hole #1 Approach

Any Course Is A Good Course

2-4    11/19/2015   11/19/2015
Review By: mcleanclan
Pros: Great course. As compared to the expectations and comparable 9 hole courses - especially those found at schools.

I played two rounds. Each took EXACTLY 30 minutes, even though the second required 4 more shots.

The course offers a variety of shots. A great workout for my "almost 40" self.

The design worked well to avoid the easily done "turn left", "turn left", "go straight", "go straight", "turn left", and so forth that could so often be found in a looped 9 hole course.

NOTICE: To find the first tee, look on your right as you drive into the Brinkley Field House. Then walk back to it after parking near the field house. The other review had me walking "away from the school building"... Thinking that meant the school itself... Instead you walk toward the school and away from the field house. Found it, but only after walking around 10 minutes and finally seeing basket #1 behind the yellow/black building.

Anyway, I can't really say which hole I dislike. Essentially my moto for disc golf is... "ANY COURSE IS A GOOD COURSE"!!

My favorite hole has to be #7. Mainly because it's a difficult hole for me. I didn't get a bird. I barely made par the second time through and got lucky the first 9. I'm no pro, but I enjoy a challenge.

Hole 1 is a perfect wooded hole. Limited line, but my annied mid found pin-high both times. Off a little bit and you're 80' short after limbing your drive.

Hole 2 is an awesome RHBH Annie shot. Somewhat blocked from a right side approach by trees.

Hole 3's length, building and tight right side woods make it tough. Not quite long enough to be a true par 4, but I appreciated the gift of an extra stroke after going woods-bound on round 2.

Hole 4 is tricky. You want to gun it with a Hyzer, but fall short or left and those two lone trees are in your way. I had to throw between them the 1st time through. Great hole.

Hole 5 is your ace-hole. I wanted it BADLY. My tommy was the perfect D both times. 15' right in round 1. And 10' left in round 2. I'd get it tuned in eventually, if I were local. Being tucked into the woods, it's a safety shot, so either you're getting a bird or a par most often.

Hole 6 is a great chance to grip and rip!! Wide open and 400+!! My drive fell at 300' both times. This ol' man was tickled with that. Eagle with no obstacles is still a great possibility - even from 100' out. I birdied and miscued my approach for the par.

Hole 7. Love it! Great challenge. Righty flick or lefty backhand will love it's ease, but then there are the trees... You never know how far out you could be tree bound if going for chains from the tee. Uphill slope adds to the difficulty.

Hole 8 was just begging to be albatrossed (according to sign it's a par 5; listed here as a much more accurate par 4)!! Great drive and long approach (essentially a second drive for me) and you could have the most difficult to get bird there is... THE ALBATROSS!! Is it a true par 5? No. It's a 4 by PDGA guidelines, but if you're going by the course design and signage, I love a good eagle on my card. Almost had two, today.

Hole 9 is a amazing finishing hole. I could see some folks carding 7's as others take 4's and truly changing the standing of the top card in a tourney here. It's LONG!! It's a REAL par 5. My big drive (through the uprights of the football field; 2x) was a slightly understable driver both times. Landed beyond mid-field and leaving a good 350' to the cage. I got better results the second time...

Speaking of such, my score playing blind and cold was better than my second... Just goes to show that, as in any "good course", you can go offline and add on a lot of strokes, but there are only SO MANY birds to be made.

Outstanding course for its caliber. As a 9 hole, highschool course, I give it 5 stars - for its category!!

As a course that's being compared to the Ashe County Parks and Rolling Pine Disc Golf courses of the world (currently #2 and #4 in the state of NC), she's a solid 3.5 stars.

Well worth playing. I arrived at 3:20 and the students were piling out - never had ANY interaction with facility staff, coaches or students. Practices on the two football fields could cause a problem in other times of the year. Safe, fun and enjoyable experience.
Cons: Practice fields during other seasons.
A bit overgrown in places.
Quite a bit of trash. I meant to take a grocery bag, but forgot in my alacrity to get on the links.
That it's not 18 holes. Looks like a lot of usable woods.
Other Thoughts: Enjoyed it. Top 9 hole course that I've ever played. Truly.

Nice round of golf

1    7/2/2014   7/2/2014
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -This is a decent nine hole course at a nice high school. It's mostly open with some woods here and there, the first hole is wooded and there are a few wooded basket locations. Average hole length is 332' with distances ranging from 140' to 665'.
-I personally wasn't fond of #2 like heelboycraig was but I did like the elevated green. It's definitely the best green on the course. The hole is a blind shot that goes downhill and very slightly to the right.
-Nice tee signs and 28 chain disCatchers.
-Holes 7 and 8 utilize elevation very well. #7 is a nice uphill drive with the basket into the woods to the right side. #8 is a fun par 4 that plays as a dogleg right. It's a fun downhill anhyzer drive on a hill that slopes left. It demands a nice right turn for a birdie but if your shot goes straight or left, you will have to really work for the birdie.
-I agree that #6 isn't that great of a hole, however, I really enjoyed the chance to bomb my drive 400+. I didn't but still took an eagle. This hole is a 401' par 4 beside a soccer field.
-Ends well with a good hole 9. It's the longest on the course at 665' long and it's a par 5. It plays as a dogleg right and goes slightly uphill.
-Great variety of fairways. A few straight holes but most fairways turned right. Only 1 turned left, it didn't bother me but it would be nice if there was another fairway that turned left.
-Nice part of town, several gas stations nearby and restaurants to eat out at, like Hardee's.
Cons: -The grass was pretty high. The woods are a problem on #2. They are very heavy and the grass is very high in the woods and its just waiting to eat a disc.
-I wasn't satisfied with the start, sure #1 is the only wooded hole but it's just too short and boring with almost no fairway. #2 isn't bad but you won't want to play this hole by yourself, you will want a lookout guy. The grassy woods are pretty bad and it's a blind tee shot.
-Natural tees but that's expected for a school course. You can still have a natural run up on every hole.
-This property has a lot of elevation and has woods all around. The cross country course uses a good bit of that but not ALL of it, I think there could be another wooded hole.
Other Thoughts: -This is good for a nice quick round. I can play it in 30 minutes. It's worth some of your time up here because for a nine holer, this has some good variety.
-Heelboycraig summed this course up perfectly, I don't really have anything else to say other than it being a nice quick round, none of the holes really stand out but most are pretty solid with one being very well designed, and that hole is 8!

2-4    3/29/2013   3/30/2013
Review By: heelboycraig
Pros: Kings Mountain High is a nice nine-hole course. It's a good chance to catch a quick round for students and fellow disc golfers alike.
- The course offers some nice variety. You have real chances to get 2s on four of the first five holes, all of which range in length from 140 to 260 feet. In addition to that, three holes are at least 400 feet. Throw in a couple holes with a little elevation (most notable #2 & 7) a wooded hole (#1), one with a storage building to throw around (#3), and you have a little bit of everything.
- #2 was a fun shot off the tee pad. It's a sweeping left to right throw, midrange shot at 236 feet. The basket is on a slight mound, and there are woods behind and to the right of the basket. A good tee shot will leave you an easy birdie putt, but go long or right, and you'll be scrambling for the three. Note that it's a blind tee shot, and that the path go towards the left, but you're throwing to the right on this hole. Standing at the tee, the only basket you can see if #9, which is to your sharp left.
- #8 is a long, 460 foot, dogleg right hole that plays around a (slight) hill. If your shot hugs the curve, you'll have a shorter second shot. Throw straight or to the left, and this hole plays much longer. The basket is on an upslope, so you can be really aggressive with approach shots and long putts. Note: The unlevel, short run-up tee area makes it's a more challenging tee shot than it should be.
- Course is easy to navigate. Park next to the football field house, walk away from the school building, and you'll see the first tee. From there, every other tee is just as easy to spot.
- Baskets are in good condition. Tee pads are natural, but they're mostly flat and didn't offer much of an issue. The only slight exception might be on #8, only because you're throwing on a hill. So the ground isn't completely level at the tee area.
- Very nice tee signs complete with image, distance and par. Compared to other courses in the area, and most school courses, these stand out.
Cons: On several of the holes, the basket and next tee pad are really close to each other - #6 basket to #7 tee, and #7 basket to #8 tee are the most obvious. If this course were ever crowded, it would be a problem; otherwise, just a word of caution.
- I was surprised by the amount of trash throughout the course area. The course flows in the back of the school property, around ball fields, so it's not just disc golfers who use this property. Still, for being on school land, it struck me as quite a bit.
-The course could have taken a bit better advantage of some of the wooded areas to add some more challenge. #1 was the only wooded hole, but #2 , 3 & 5 - 7 all had woods to the right or behind each basket. Any of those holes could have been made more challenge with just a little more work.
- For me, there was only one real boring hole. #6 is a dead straight, 401 foot hole. There's a soccer field to the left and woods to the right. And I guess that's the challenge for this hole? If you throw anywhere from 275 - 350 off the tee, you're going to have an easy up and down for par, without a real chance for a two, and almost no way of scoring worse than a 3.
Other Thoughts: Overall, Kings Mountain High puts together a nice, fast 9-hole round. I played through this course twice in less than 45 minutes.
- It was nice to see this course have a couple short holes (two under 200 ft) plus a real chance to air it out with a long finishing hole - #9 is 665 ft.
- I don't know if this course is trying to create extra obstacles, or whether equipment doesn't get moved too often. There's a blocking sled near the basket on #8, which was there in a picture on this site from November 2012, and was still there when I played four months later.
- The course isn't going to wow anybody, but it's still a notch above your average nine-hole layout. If you're in the area, and school isn't in session, it'd be worth a quick round.
- Including this course, there's a stretch of five nine-holers from Kings Mountain to Shelby to Boiling Springs. So, if anyone is a fan of only playing nine-holers, this is your spot to visit.